Release some new music Axl...

Suppose now Slash and Duff and maybe more importantly Izzy is back the load on Axl is lifted. He wasn't responsible for most of GNR's material. 

Axl can really step back and let Slash rock out Izzy songs. Not to mention a few Slash beasts or Duff numbers. 

Izzy might even sing on a couple. 

So Axl only needs 2-3 songs himself. He might just leave it to Slash.  Just leave it to those guys and sing Izzy lyrics and maybe write a few songs lyric wise. But basically he can hand that hot potatoe to Slash. Get in the studio boys and record a sister album to AFD. 

Nobody wants new music without Slash on it. Axl releasing new music without the old band or some form of it just hurts his legacy more. GUNS N' ROSES need to release new music. Not just Axl Rose. So basically a  GnR including Slash not Axl's fucked version Menudo version of GnR. 

I can't wait for someone to reply by saying  "I want new Axl music with or without Slash so you can't say nobody wants it". I love when people can't grasp what's being said and take everything so damn literally. You know that's coming too haha!

19 minutes ago, Bono said:

Nobody wants new music without Slash on it. Axl releasing new music without the old band or some form of it just hurts his legacy more. GUNS N' ROSES need to release new music. Not just Axl Rose. So basically a  GnR including Slash not Axl's fucked version Menudo version of GnR.

I don't think Axl himself wants new music without Slash on it. We know he wanted Slash to be on a couple of CD songs. Duff and Izzy have been back in the fold for while, Izzy has even been writing songs with nuGNR, yet still nothing released.

3 minutes ago, Bono said:

I can't wait for someone to reply by saying  "I want new Axl music with or without Slash so you can't say nobody wants it". I love when people can't grasp what's being said and take everything so damn literally. You know that's coming too haha!

I am left pondering why many people here are so seemingly unable to use nuances, temper and moderation to express themselves in a precise and concise manner but instead go for rhetorical caricatures that just come across as abrasive and is an invitation to derailing of threads. Take the "this isn't Guns N' Roses" example; it is usually probably meant to mean "I don't like GN'R anymore, the band that is now,; it is not the band I fell in love with, and everytime it continues like this it erodes the public conception of what GN'R is and makes me feel uncomfortable". Sure, that is a lot more words than the simple "it isn't Guns N' Roses" (but I am sure someone more clever and better at writing than me could have condensed it into a neat little sentence, that would both convey more precicely what is meant without inviting inane discussions about what constitutes GN'R) but I am sure most members here would be able to type down all those letters. "Everybody this or that" is another such pointless exaggeration when "most" would do. The most likely results of such imprecise statements is derailment and trivalization of those that don't happen to belong to whatever majority is discussed, like their opinions don't matter enough to even be considered.

To the point, yes, most people would not be very thrilled about a new GN'R record sans Slash. But most people would probably say it is better than NO record alltogether, so if the two realistic options are no record or a Slash-free record, the latter is what most peopel will be happy about (if they are able to adjust their expectatiosn to what is realistic). Lastly, music isn't about democracy. The fans don't get to choose who will play on a record no more than they get to choose any other things about that record. They get to pay for it, if they want that. At least 3 million paid for CD. So, there is definitely a market for a new record without Slash, just look at all the records released every year in domestic markets selling less than 10k. If Axl wants to release a new record, and he isn't bound by any agreemnts to labels etc, he could easily do this independently, to the great enjoyment of quite many people around the world, even if it was chemically free for topshats and dark curls and pentatonic scales and whatnot. Secondly, artists shouldn't be subject to direction from fans. That is not how art is created. I know this sounds posh when we are talkig about a bloody GN'R record :D But still, the same principle works for rawk as for high arts: the demands of the fans is never a muse.

• Like 2

Honest question: do most big bands start rehearsals 3 months before a tour starts? It seems like a long time out to me, but I really have no idea if that's the norm. Duff played with NuGuns and knows all the tunes. Slash knows all the classic stuff. I can't imagine they'd play more than 3 CD tunes (I doubt any), so I don't think Slash has much to learn. So why rehearse already? 

My point is- maybe they are working on new stuff?!?! But if 3 months of rehearsal is normal for bands like Metallica or ACDC, then never mind... 

We never thought shit would ever get this far, so I'm gonna say there's a chance. Didn't Eddie Money say something about 2-3 new songs?

3 hours ago, Ak1nney said:

:axl: <------ That's why.

3 hours ago, Ak1nney said:

:axl: <------ That's why.

Axl can't stop them writing. I guess if he controls the label /studio time he cood never organise something like that. 

But they are rehearsing so if Slash accidently plays an Izzy riff and Duff just happens to be slapping the bass while Frank is chucking thunder. Then Axl starts rapping about his private plane. Whoops they wrote a song. 

Maybe the CIA can bug the place to get an early demo. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Bono said:

Preemptively arguing any potential counter point...efficient I guess. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SLCPUNK said:

Preemptively arguing any potential counter point...efficient I guess. 

Almost. It wouldn't be people presenting a  counter point. Just people who would intentionally not grasp what's being said to simply argue semantics. 

13 hours ago, Apollo said:

One album of original material in the last 25 years.....while recently saying you were sitting on two finished albums......just shows a complete lack of caring about his fanbase. 

I've been one to defend Axl on many, many points but I got nothin' with respect to the lack of new material released. I honestly wouldn't care if it weren't for so many claims from everyone associated with GN'R up to and including Axl himself. We've been told so many times how much material there is, how amazing it is and how it's all getting released someday. Hell..... Axl started "looking very seriously in that regard" and even that didn't help! :lol:

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I've been one to defend Axl on many, many points but I got nothin' with respect to the lack of new material released. I honestly wouldn't care if it weren't for so many claims from everyone associated with GN'R up to and including Axl himself. We've been told so many times how much material there is, how amazing it is and how it's all getting released someday. Hell..... Axl started "looking very seriously in that regard" and even that didn't help! :lol:

I don't even mind that he isn't Prince, who releases albums seemingly on a yearly basis.  Or even Def Leppard, who have released 14 albums since Gnr released Appetite. Can you imagine how amazing it would be to have 14 gnr albums sitting in your collection?

The frustration is exactly what you said. If Axl came out in 2000 and said "don't expect new music from me. I am just going to make a fortune touring the songs my old band and I created in the 80s. Maybe I will release a random album now, but probably not" then it would be different. 

But Round One, the batman comments, The Beta talking about 80 songs, Axl and band members talking about everything from three albums to 24-of-36 songs being almost complete (or whatever the numbers were), to finally Axl saying that the band had two completed albums in the can. 

Eventually doesn't the guy have to feel bad or like a failure in that regard?

Axl is the greatest rock frontman of my generation. But his unwillingness to just occasionally share music with his millions of fans is just ridiculous. Hell, look at the foo fighters. They routinely share music with their fans. They finished a tour and knew they wouldn't release a new album for a couple years so the band booked some studio time and have their fans a five-song EP as a "thank you" and something to tide them over until the next studio album.

Axl is my favorite rock singer of all time. But man, I sure wish the dude cared about his fans. And a regrouping tour with just half the original or second lineup and one album in the last twenty years isn't doing things for your fans (as cool as it is). It's an musician who has lost his creativity as artist and has basically given up except in a goal to make money.

I was listened to a rock podcast last week and they re-reviewed CD one gave it 8 out of 10 and one gave it 3 out of 10.  But both said that it would have been 9 or 10 out of 10 without all the over production. That the initial leaks were amazing.  Think about that. Two rock critics thought CD could have been a 10 out of 10.

Critics could be onboard. Fans are desperate for Axl music. Axl still has the talent. The pitcher has literally lobbed the pitch to him ala Cal Ripken, the triple or home run is there easily In reach. He just has to swing the bat.  Why won't he?

Edited by Apollo

5 hours ago, Apollo said:

The frustration is exactly what you said. If Axl came out in 2000 and said "don't expect new music from me. I am just going to make a fortune touring the songs my old band and I created in the 80s. Maybe I will release a random album now, but probably not" then it would be different. 

Billy Joel has basically said as much as and his fanbase, such as it were, has been fine with the tours he has done.  For Axl to be recording new music to not release, especially with the digital ability to put either a single song or entire epic 50-track album out without a need for physical distribution and the associated marketing/costs, is - by comparison - stupid.

• Like 1

On February 2, 2016 at 4:03 AM, Bono said:

Not sure I agree. The Checkmate clip is phenomenal. I think I want to hear with whoever played guitar on it. I wouldn't want Slash. Don't get me wrong, I love Slash, but that song is from a different era - does that make sense?

2 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I think there's some internal conflict with Axl because everyone who played on the CD stuff is now gone (Freese, Brain, Bucket, Robin).

That said, who gives a shit, release it, the world deserves to hear that stuff, and then work on more music with Slash and Duff. 

I know Axl worries about living up to the GNR name but the more stuff he puts out, the less he will feel that pressure. 

agree.

release it as is. Let us hear it.

slash / duff / Izzy stuff should be new material, not reworked CD2 stuff.