Listening to Nirvana is making me appreciate GN'R more

The greatest tragedy of Kurt Cobain is whats gone on after his death.  I mean obviously the suicide is all kinds of tragic in it's own way but all that is is death, that would've come sooner or later one way or the other.  What shouldn't have come is this awful cannibalisation.  Alright, I get Live Tonight Sold Out, i get Wishkah, i get releasing the unreleased stuff, fine.  I don't get releasing the journals, i don't get Montage of Heck, i don't get the greatest hits and what i REALLY don't get in the cannonising by fans, a bunch of people who feel they have this kinda...attachment or kinship to this guy and they make an icon of him and he becomes St Cobain who could do no wrong, because those are the people that really should know better.  That claim they do know better.  And I suppose you could include people like me in that because really, who am i to dictate which direction his post mortem life should be go?  It's all a bunch of phoney bullshit about a guy who, over and above everything else, was just an extremely fallible young man who happened to write songs very well.  And paint. 

Cut to 22 years later and Justin Beiber is onstage yesterday in a plaid shirt and thousand dollar ripped jeans and an accoustic guitar croaking his way through songs and Jaden Smith is tweeting 'Kurt Cobain is alive...he lives in the souls of youth'.  Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight :lol:

6 hours ago, squaleca said:

gnr wouldnt exist without SCOM just like they wouldnt without appetite

true but just because thats the record that broke them to the masses doesn't mean its the best they have to offer musically

don't get me wrong its a great song but i just think they have better songs to offer

WHo cares about Nirvana - wanker band - They were a average band - I like 1 song Negative creep , Of the seattle bands that came out in the day  besides Pearl Jam  Nirvana  were the worse, Alice in Chains are the kings of Seattle with Soundgarden second - grunge era is the modern day version of Justin Bieber- and dont throw Alice in Chains in the grunge era because they were a heavy metal- Hard rock  Band who's main influence was Black Sabbath 

Edited by iceman51999

3 hours ago, Sprite said:

Did anyone watch that soaked in bleach documentary? Or have any thoughts on that whole conspiracy? 

I think it's part of a media war. One side puts out one version and Courtney counters it. Like conspiracy side gathers evidence and she releases something that reflects badly on Kurt. 

The problem with the conspiracy is all those people were junkies. So acting suspicious and doing strange stuff is par for the course. In showbiz.

So a damaging piece of evidence like a Kurt handwriting crib sheet found in Courtney's bag could just be her tampering with the suicide note to make it more palatable to show business. He probably didn't mention her or daughter. 

On the other hand she had motive. Kurt cutting her out of will and divorcing her. She asks tough divorce lawyer. El Duce claimed she offered him 40k to kill her husband. El Duce dies on traintracks last seen with another unidentified man. There's a scenario. No finger prints on the gun? It's this kind of stuff that is annoying. 

I think suicide but there's all this stuff you can't ignore. 

• Like 1

On March 16, 2016 at 7:00 PM, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

Nirvana was at the forefront of a musical movement that sucked the wind out of GN'R's sails.  Kurt is revered.  Axl is kind of mocked.

I call this BS and a long dated myth.

The only thing responsible for GNR eventual fallout and demise was GNR themselves... by 1991-92, what they had become, was horrendous. They (I guess Axl and his minions..) sucked whatever wind out of GNR sails, they're the ONLY ones responsible. Not trend, not another band. 

10 hours ago, wasted said:

I think it's part of a media war. One side puts out one version and Courtney counters it. Like conspiracy side gathers evidence and she releases something that reflects badly on Kurt. 

The problem with the conspiracy is all those people were junkies. So acting suspicious and doing strange stuff is par for the course. In showbiz.

So a damaging piece of evidence like a Kurt handwriting crib sheet found in Courtney's bag could just be her tampering with the suicide note to make it more palatable to show business. He probably didn't mention her or daughter. 

On the other hand she had motive. Kurt cutting her out of will and divorcing her. She asks tough divorce lawyer. El Duce claimed she offered him 40k to kill her husband. El Duce dies on traintracks last seen with another unidentified man. There's a scenario. No finger prints on the gun? It's this kind of stuff that is annoying. 

I think suicide but there's all this stuff you can't ignore. 

It's a nasty subject, must be very depressing for his daughter to still have to deal with this.

It's also strange how people who didn't know the guy at all and never even met him now scream he was murdered, yet all the people close to him knew how far gone he was. 

7 hours ago, dalsh327 said:

There's no conspiracy how El Duce died. 

She liked making people's lives hell. If anything, she would have convinced Kurt to kill himself, not hire someone to do it for her. 

There's a case for that but without knowing it seems poor form. 

What do you mean about El Duce? 

I don't buy someone killing El Duce to "silence" him, but just living in Riverside and being a racist could have gotten him killed. 

As far as GNR and Nirvana being the "last rock band" or the end of an era in rock, that's really hard to say.  

On 18/03/2016 at 3:24 PM, iceman51999 said:

WHo cares about Nirvana - wanker band - They were a average band - I like 1 song Negative creep , Of the seattle bands that came out in the day  besides Pearl Jam  Nirvana  were the worse, Alice in Chains are the kings of Seattle with Soundgarden second - grunge era is the modern day version of Justin Bieber- and dont throw Alice in Chains in the grunge era because they were a heavy metal- Hard rock  Band who's main influence was Black Sabbath 

Most ridiculous post I've read in a while.  

• Like 2

The wrist-cutters who say "Kurt was too pure for this world" and hang on his every nonsensical pretentious ramblings as if he is some kind of poet laureate make me wanna vom. Truth is, Cobain was a below average guitar player who had a very high opinion of himself and found success through striking a chord with the nauseatingly mopey 90s hipster brigade who were too far up their own arses to see what a scam it all was. Axl and co owns Kurt in every way imaginable.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Towelie said:

The wrist-cutters who say "Kurt was too pure for this world" and hang on his every nonsensical pretentious ramblings as if he is some kind of poet laureate make me wanna vom. Truth is, Cobain was a below average guitar player who had a very high opinion of himself and found success through striking a chord with the nauseatingly mopey 90s hipster brigade who were too far up their own arses to see what a scam it all was. Axl and co owns Kurt in every way imaginable.

I believe Cobain was the first one to admit that he sucked at playing guitar... he considered himself musically retarded, he said so in every interview they asked him about it. But their music wasn't about shredding guitar solo's or technical qualities... it's not always about that. That he had a high opinion of himself is even more ridiculous... even after the Unplugged show when everyone was telling him how great it was, he told everyone how much he sucked. It's fine if you don't like Nirvana, but don't make assumptions that make no sense.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I believe Cobain was the first one to admit that he sucked at playing guitar... he considered himself musically retarded, he said so in every interview they asked him about it. But their music wasn't about shredding guitar solo's or technical qualities... it's not always about that. That he had a high opinion of himself is even more ridiculous... even after the Unplugged show when everyone was telling him how great it was, he told everyone how much he sucked. It's fine if you don't like Nirvana, but don't make assumptions that make no sense.

It makes me laugh when people say that being a great guitarist is "not what he's about," as if it was a creative choice on his end. He was limited by his inability, so made the best of what he had. Nothing wrong with that, and not everyone has to be some kind of virtuoso to be a good songwriter (quite often its the exact opposite), but I just personally find what he did manage to come up with on the guitar to be mostly derivitive.

The best riff in a Nirvana song by a mile is Scentless Apprentice, which was written by Dave. As for his high opinion of himself, I stand by that assertion. Yes, he may have been self-depricating at times (fits in with his whole pitiful, woe-is-me, anti-celeb, hypocritical horseshit), but he clearly thought Nirvana were an act for uber-cool, serious muso types, calling out Guns for their mass-commercial appeal, all the while diluting their sound for Nevermind in a concerted effort to sell more records, which he then goes on to whine about when he got exactly what he wanted.  Kurt Cobain was the biggest phoney of them all. 

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

37 minutes ago, EvanG said:

It makes me laugh when people say that being a great guitarist is "not what he's about," as if it was a creative choice on his end. He was limited by his inability, so made the best of what he had. Nothing wrong with that, and not everyone has to be some kind of virtuoso to be a good songwriter (quite often its the exact opposite), but I just personally find what he did manage to come up with on the guitar to be mostly derivitive.

The best riff in a Nirvana song by a mile is Scentless Apprentice, which was written by Dave. As for his high opinion of himself, I stand by that assertion. Yes, he may have been self-depricating at times (fits in with his whole pitiful, woe-is-me, anti-celeb, hypocritical horseshit), but he clearly thought Nirvana were an act for uber-cool, serious muso types, calling out Guns for their mass-commercial appeal, all the while diluting their sound for Nevermind in a concerted effort to sell more records, which he then goes on to whine about when he got exactly what he wanted.  Kurt Cobain was the biggest phoney of them all. 

No, not what ''he'' is about, but not what ''it'' is about in music always. A lot of punk bands I like can't play guitar for shit, but I love the energy, the spirit and the songs anyway. It all depends on what you want to hear. I'm a huge Beatles fan, even the songs that aren't exactly interesting or fascinating on a musical level. With a few simple powerchords or open chords you can write a really great song. Just because he wasn't a very good guitarist doesn't mean he didn't write some really good songs. That being said, I think some of the stuff (serve the servants, all apologies, school, etc.) were cool in its own way, but that's how it is with everything... it's subjective and impossible to argue about.

I said this before in this thread, I think Kurt Cobain was very contradictive in every aspect. I think he was confident about his songwriting abilities, but in other ways he was insecure about himself and his band. But we can discuss this till the cows come home, but at the end of the day, no one was able to figure that guy out, not even the people who wrote his biographies and had access to all his journals and private stuff, so it's kinda ignorant to paint such a narrow minded picture of him as you try to do here.

''none of you will ever know my intentions'' - KC

Edited by EvanG