Listening to Nirvana is making me appreciate GN'R more

It's kinda funny that you would deliberately not expose yourself to something because you might like it and it might change your views! That's not a good way to operate!

Bathe in the grunge. 

10 minutes ago, Ant said:

It's kinda funny that you would deliberately not expose yourself to something because you might like it and it might change your views! That's not a good way to operate!

Bathe in the grunge. 

when you embody yourself into a band, you don't want anything to spoil that special feeling you have for them

• Like 1

Being a kid from the 90s, both bands were very important to me. You can't really compare them, though, GnR offered musically a lot more variety. Kurt Cobain was musically almost retarded (he said so himself many times). But he showed people that you don't need to be a great guitar player to play rock n roll, like Slash or those other guitar heroes in the 80s, and for any kid learning to play guitar their songs were great, because they sounded cool but were also really simple to play.

And the energy and melody he put into his songs made him stand out from many other bands of that era. And of course that beautiful voice... there was so much in that scream of his, all his misery and pain. There haven't been too many artists who were able to be so authentic and intense through their music as Kurt Cobain was, and that made him so vulnerable at the same time. That is why so many people could relate to that guy.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

incesticide is nirvanas best ulbum just like paradice sity and smells like ts are the respective bands most overated songs  long live hairspair queen and locomotive

although i have to admit appetite and nevermind are on of the few albums i would listen to on a shitty 20 dollar cassette player and was still blown away

Apples and oranges

I would go with Nirvana though, because GNR with the UYI's become cheesy

Kurt's cult of peronality was hilarious, though. Proto hipster shit

Discovering new/old new music making me appreciate GNR less and less, though

To me, the only GNR song that really stood the test of time and age is YCBM.  You could say that GNR have the best debut album of all time which is a huge thing

The problem for gnr is, when Nirvana arrived, Axl was in these cheesy videos with his bollocks on show in a pair of white underpants on a massive stage with ego ramps. Slash was on a towering clifftop soloing away. There was more money spent on one overdub on the Illusions then the entire Nirvana discography! Nirvana arrived with genuine music from the garage and the heart. Garage rock sensibility. Bouncy melodies.

I'm not really a fan of Nirvana but I can understand why they made Guns look fake and dated.

• Like 4

Kurt never really had enough time to really flesh out his sound with the band, and before his death he was thinking about doing a sort of folksy album with Michael Stipe. Most of Nirvana's songs, from their first album to In Utero, were written in a fairly small time period, too. That said, there's still a unique characteristic to each of their albums: Bleach is tinged with metal and is a little more technically complex (only a little), Nevermind is the super polished pop-edged album, and In Utero is the noisy, "fuck everything" record. Shame Kurt offed himself before they could at least reconcile all those sounds into one more great album.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chevelle said:

Kurt never really had enough time to really flesh out his sound with the band, and before his death he was thinking about doing a sort of folksy album with Michael Stipe. Most of Nirvana's songs, from their first album to In Utero, were written in a fairly small time period, too. That said, there's still a unique characteristic to each of their albums: Bleach is tinged with metal and is a little more technically complex (only a little), Nevermind is the super polished pop-edged album, and In Utero is the noisy, "fuck everything" record. Shame Kurt offed himself before they could at least reconcile all those sounds into one more great album.

Nirvana had been around for a good 7 years so I think he had enough time... enough time to evolve and try different things with his band. Chances are that if Kurt hadn't died, Nirvana would have broken up anyway... he hated the band at the end. I think they more or less did break up a month before he died, they had cancelled everything and Kurt only wanted to disappear. 

Edited by EvanG

Just now, EvanG said:

Nirvana had been around for a good 6 years so I think he had enough time... enough time to evolve and try different things with his band. Chances are that if Kurt hadn't died, Nirvana would have broken up anyway... he hated the band at the end. I think they more or less did break up a month before he died, they had cancelled everything and Kurt only wanted to disappear. 

Honestly, I think it's somewhere in the middle. Nirvana really held him back in terms of how much sound he could explore, with just a guitar and a drum kit and a bass. I think Kurt would've had some really interesting noise music/sound collages in him based on the demo tapes he left behind, or could've made something more country sounding based on the Unplugged session, or gone and wrote even poppier tunes than the ones on Nevermind.

6 hours ago, Apollo said:

Same as Axl was back in the day.  Gnr fans have painted Axl with that same brush in a way to raise his "last true rock star and mr anti-establishment"  persona. Meanwhile, he is spending millions of dollars on videos, was all over MTV and rock magazines, released18 singles from The Illusions, does private shows for Hollywood actors, and does commercials or takes sponsorship from beer to energy drinks to crappy fast food restaurants. . 

I never saw Axl as an "Anti-establishment" type. Maybe I got into GNR too late? My sister was a huge GNR fan in their heyday (had posters on the wall and everything), but it took me a little longer to really get into them. GNR had already fallen apart before I really started to appreciate the music (and she quickly moved on to hiphop/rap I think it was). To me Axl always came across as a "I'll do whatever the fuck I want" type. There is some overlap with the anti-establishment crowd, but I find them to be totally different.

7 hours ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

What about you though?  Has listening to more music ever added to or diminished your enjoyment of GN'R?

No. I like all kinds of music. I even really like some current pop music which is practically heresy. I don't usually compare music because I get something different from all of it.

In my experience Nevermind filled a gap left by AFD because GNR went a different direction with UYI. In someways Nirvana went the way some would want Guns to go. Just the same record again maybe heavier. Kind of what Slash does. 

But Axl seems to insist on a broader scope. 

8 hours ago, Apollo said:

Same as Axl was back in the day.  Gnr fans have painted Axl with that same brush in a way to raise his "last true rock star and mr anti-establishment"  persona. Meanwhile, he is spending millions of dollars on videos, was all over MTV and rock magazines, released18 singles from The Illusions, does private shows for Hollywood actors, and does commercials or takes sponsorship from beer to energy drinks to crappy fast food restaurants. . 

I fail to see Axl as Mr Anti-establishment.. Can you explain why you see him like that?

in my opinion, he always acted more like anti-authority and definitely is an anti-media person, almost falling into censorship taliban type!

7 hours ago, tremolo said:

Axl was at that point the poster bad boy of R&R, the frontman of THE MOST DANGEROUS BAND IN THE WORLD... and here comes this scrawny little smartass and leaves him looking like a complete idiot. Cobain just had a dislike for everything Axl stood for.

The whole thing started because of Courtney Love though, she started it, Kurt just followed and it was priceless.

My impression is that Cobain misjudged Axl and didn't give himself a chance to know AXL better. He would have realized they had a lot in common. The difference was in the way they expressed their art.

Both bands were followed by teenagers, the Generation X, and while GNR called the youth to rebel against parents, teachers and police, Nirvana was like "life sucks, there's nothing we can do to fix it, so let's just be depressed and forget about the world". Guns lyrics were like a call to action, Nirvana lyrics were a call to apathy and isolation, the individual before the community.

well I don't have much, but I have this:

Two of my favorite bands of all time. No question. Nirvana and Kurt hit me when I was a 12 year old kid complaining about the hot girl in class that wasn't naturally in love with me. Then one day, she kissed me and everyone else was a loser. That's nirvana.

Gnr has stuck more consistently. I think their sound and rawness stuck out more for my liking. Dave grohl and the foo to me tho are easier to root for that Kurt considering he hated bands that "sold out" then He himself did what he had to in order to make such an incredible living that his own daughter would never have to sweat for a dollar.

Both great bands. Both too big and were torn apart by fame. But one of them went through it all and had the balls to survive, and they are reuniting slowly but surely. The other is a headstone. Long live GNR 

7 hours ago, Ant said:

Bathe in the grunge. 

It's actually something everyone experiences.  Tests have shown everyone feels more comfortable embracing things that confirm their views and ethics.  I forget the term.

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma

Hey guy first post!

This is a subject that i certainly have an opinion on and in my humble opinion Nirvana were and continue to be a massively overrated band. They were a good band don't get me wrong but as someone alluded to before they are a bit of a one trick pony, obviously many people liked the trick but a one trick pony all the same. You certainly couldn't put Guns in that category, i mean they were more than capable of writing a loud snotty punk tune like Nirvana ( It's so Easy, Reckless Life ) but could you see Nirvana being able to come up with something like Locomotive?, i think not. For Cobain to state Guns were devoid of any talent really did take the cake as well, i mean say what you want about Axl's personal traits but to slate a fellow artists abilities is scraping the barrel and looks like the ramblings of a petty little man.

Cobain always rubbed me the wrong way, even at 11 years old i saw right through his bullshit.Tried waaay too hard to be the tortured,indie poet guy trying to revolt against the system when clearly he wasn't. From the "corporate whores" shirt that was ever so popular to the "corporate magazines suck" shirt he wore on the cover of Rolling Stone, yeah we get it Kurt but give it a rest huh?. Also make no mistake the guy loved the limelight, the far superior bands from that scene in AIC and Soundgarden managed to be insanely popular without being the media whores Nirvana were.

One last thing can we put this Nirvana or grunge killed GNR to bed?. From what i recall the last concert GNR played when they supposedly at their most uncool stage was in front of a full stadium at River Plate in Argentina at the peak of grunge, after all the classics of that genre had been released. Playing 200 shows in 2 years killed GNR.

4 hours ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

It's actually something everyone experiences.  Tests have shown everyone feels more comfortable embracing things that confirm their views and ethics.  I forget the term.

That's true, but I don't think it applies to most people in a case like this. I could be wrong, but it sounds very strange that someone doesn't even want to find new great bands because they fear that they might appreciate their old favorite band less. It makes a little bit more sense if we're dealing with political or religious beliefs. Those subjects tend to make people fanatical. But it sounds weird that someone's so crazy about their favorite band that he doesn't even want to find anything better. No offence, it just sounds weird. But each to their own.