Guns N' Roses PLAY TROUBADOUR LOS ANGELES, FRIDAY APRIL 1, 2016: Axl, Slash & Duff Reunited

12 minutes ago, supercool said:

ferrer can't play.

period.

he does blow ass, but I dont see him leaving anytime soon, he has been there for what 10 years now? now that duff and slash are back I dont see him passing up the chance to play with these guys. Axl is very loyal to his old players and doesnt want to just kick them out. the only possible reason frank would leave as I see it would be if he leaves to step aside for adler (which would be the decent thing to do), but Steven has been MIA from the public for months now and no one knows whats going on with him.

I'd expect fortus to stay too because Izzy most certainly just doesnt want to be a part of it apart from random appearances. I'd love to be wrong about Izzy but the guy is just so mysterious you know nothing about his ways. Chances of Izzy coming back to GNR full time would be at their highest if Steven was their full time drummer, because in that case Izzy will be "that guy" who prevents it from happening.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

I would love to see Adler and even Sorum at some point, it would be awesome.  That being said, Ferrer can play.  I saw him live in 2011 in Camden and he did not miss a beat.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that this show was basically a dress rehearsal.  This is the first time this lineup has played together.  They aren't totally in sync yet and that's fine...that's what warmup shows are for.  I'd expect them to be much more in sync during the first full production show and out of the two shows, (in terms of them gelling) I would imagine night 2 will be even better than night 1.  And by the time I see them this summer in Orlando, I will expect them to be a full boar, well oiled machine.

• Like 2

Would've loved to see Adler or Matt at the helm, of course, Izzy as well. But he wants nothing to do with GNR. He's content doing his own thing, he never seemed to enjoy the Rock N Roll dream of making it big. That's cool, though. As long as he makes some appearances here and there I'm okay with him making that decision. Just don't ditch us completely, Izzy!

First the negative on Frank -

I think part of the problem with Frank is that he has no personality - on the drums or otherwise.  And his drumming can be distracting at times and not fit the song (esp non-CD songs).

The positive - 

His drumming is much better on the CD songs so this may bode well for future material.

I'm seeing them in August in Seattle so he has time to figure it out.  My concern is that he acts like he already has it figured out because he's been with Axl for so long.  Can he overcome that....

2 minutes ago, Ultrastar said:

Personally, I am very glad Frank is the drummer. I have never liked Sorum, and I just don't think Adler could handle a full on world tour of this magnitude. Brain would be ideal if I had my pick of all GNR drummers, but I'm not going to make 500 posts complaining that We got Frank and not Brain. The most important thing here is Axl, Slash, and Duff are on stage together. Lets focus on that, and forget about all of this nonsense like "is Axl actually doing his screams live? Is it really him?" or my personal favorite "Mickey mouse vs Rasp"

Fuck that noise. This isn't the CD era, we don't have DJ doing his Hulk Hogan antics, we don't have Ron writing cryptic "I'm leaving" shit" . This is a new age for us GNR fans. Axl has had a fire put under his ass, and this your is going to be magic, so let's enjoy it for Christ sake!

Spot on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

This has been the best time to be a fan since 1993. I am so sick of seeing people bitch about it. Like really?? Nobody was bitching back then, but now it's a problem??? You people must have unhappy lives.

6 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

This has been the best time to be a fan since 1993. I am so sick of seeing people bitch about it. Like really?? Nobody was bitching back then, but now it's a problem??? You people must have unhappy lives.

Nobody was complaining back then because Matt Sorum and Gilby Clarke (people who made some positive contributions to the GNR sound) were in the band.

53 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

I would love to see Adler and even Sorum at some point, it would be awesome.  That being said, Ferrer can play.  I saw him live in 2011 in Camden and he did not miss a beat.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that this show was basically a dress rehearsal.  This is the first time this lineup has played together.  They aren't totally in sync yet and that's fine...that's what warmup shows are for.  I'd expect them to be much more in sync during the first full production show and out of the two shows, (in terms of them gelling) I would imagine night 2 will be even better than night 1.  And by the time I see them this summer in Orlando, I will expect them to be a full boar, well oiled machine.

There is no doubt that Ferrer can play the drums well, but not within a classic GNR context. 

• Like 2

I noticed something odd about Franks playing in this clip.
In the cowbell parts (shalalalalaa kneeees) around 1:30 and 2:10 he's playing some off beat stuff on the hi-hat. It sounds terrible to my ears and I would acknowledge it as a mistake if it wasn't for the fact that he's doing it in this part throughout the song. Is this something he's always done?

Edited by Homefuck

2 minutes ago, Homefuck said:

In the cowbell parts (shalalalalaa kneeees) around 1:30 and 2:10 he's playing some off beat stuff on the hi-hat. It sounds terrible to my ears. Is this something he's always done?

The simple answer is that he does not have the right 'feel' for the old songs. 

5 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

Ok so I just came back from work, is there any other video than the WTTJ? any new updates? 

News flash, people are pissed at Frank for being shit, at Sorum for his dolphin shit, and at popcorn for his shit appearance

Edited by shjtjustgotreal
  • Like 2

Just now, shjtjustgotreal said:

News flash, people are pissed at Frank for being shit, at Sorum for his dolphin shit, and at popcorn for his shit appearanc

Ok so its the same story. No new videos? any clips of Better or CD?

2 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

Ok so its the same story. No new videos? any clips of Better or CD?

Not that I've seen yet 

1 minute ago, tbaugerud said:

Was it old school KOHD? I haven't seen an answer yet...!

One review said it was a mix of the two with Fortus and Slash both taking solos. 

2 minutes ago, tbaugerud said:

Was it old school KOHD? I haven't seen an answer yet...!

Some people said it was a mixture of old and new, some people are saying it was the old one, Im really not sure. 

56 minutes ago, evergreen_layne said:

First the negative on Frank -

I think part of the problem with Frank is that he has no personality - on the drums or otherwise.  And his drumming can be distracting at times and not fit the song (esp non-CD songs).

The positive - 

His drumming is much better on the CD songs so this may bode well for future material.

I'm seeing them in August in Seattle so he has time to figure it out.  My concern is that he acts like he already has it figured out because he's been with Axl for so long.  Can he overcome that....

It is difficult to expect something from a musician when his/her heart is not in it. It is also difficult to learn how to swing or inject some feeling into your drumming..that comes from within..you either have it or you don't. 

3 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

The simple answer is that he does not have the right 'feel' for the old songs. 

Well, atleast the stuff he pulls right there is really unnecessary and doesn't serve the song. It just sounds off. I haven't been paying much attention to "nu-guns", but his playing style seems to really suit some parts, like the main riff in PC. He seems to have that Bonham-laid-back-kinda-behind-the-beat-style going on and that's cool. He should just leave the weird offbeat-stuff at home. I think that this is something that Slash dislikes and hopefully it's going to be solved until Vegas :)

11 minutes ago, Homefuck said:

In the cowbell parts (shalalalalaa kneeees) around 1:30 and 2:10 he's playing some off beat stuff on the hi-hat. It sounds terrible to my ears and I would acknowledge it as a mistake if it wasn't for the fact that he's doing it in this part throughout the song. Is this something he's always done?

That was a bad song for him. Look in the beginning he comes in way too fast and Slash walks over to him and notices something is off and Frank nods his head like "okay I got it now". 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Homefuck said:

Well, atleast the stuff he pulls right there is really unnecessary and doesn't serve the song. It just sounds off. I haven't been paying much attention to "nu-guns", but his playing style seems to really suit some parts, like the main riff in PC. He seems to have that Bonham-laid-back-kinda-behind-the-beat-style going on and that's cool. He should just leave the weird offbeat-stuff at home. I think that this is something that Slash dislikes and hopefully it's going to be solved until Vegas :)

This is the only person who can play Paradise City with the right amount of feeling. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

This is the only person who can play Paradise City with the right amount of feeling. 

Just watched this and came to three conclusions:
1. I'm so glad that the fucking DOUCHE Dj Ashba is gone. Poser.
2. A stripper? Really? I hope that they won't pull shit like that now. Pathetic.
3. Frank seems to have played the off beat-hihat in Jungle since atleast 2014. Too bad.

• Like 1