Anyone else pleased that Axl hasn't abandoned Chinese? And how do Slash fans feel about him playing on CD-era songs?

If they're going to play Axl's music then Axl should sing Slash's music. It's really only fair because even though Axl's stuff was released under the GNR name, it wasn't with the original core guys. Slash and Duff had nothing to do with that material just as Axl had nothing to do with Fall to Pieces. 

• Like 2

I could take the CD songs or leave them at this point, I will say that they sound waaay cooler live with Slash on them.

The TIL solo improvs Slash has done so far rock and his way of phrasing is better than any other TIL solo version that came before, his CD into is heavy and rockin', and his additions to the Better arrangement kick ass

Slash is giving the CD material the "old GNR" retouching and it makes me wish we had gotten a CD album with this lineup on it

For Fuck's sake. Get over it. Slash is back in the band. Playing Chinese Democracy songs. Everyone has reason to be happy. The war is over. The past is irrelevant now.

You're a very small person if you have your head stuck in your ass trying to argue about who was right in which part of the historic timeline. 

Can't we all just get along!!!???

Let's look forward to hearing that TWAT solo now!!!

Edited by The Archer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Patience 4 Axl said:

Yeah, it's not bullshit.  How many stadiums did nuGNR sell out on their own?  Thought so.  It's obvious Axl wasn't really making bank on those arena tours trying to sell no name musicians as Guns.  I was at half filled shows.   And those CD songs died a quick death on the radio and charts despite the so called plenty of fans it had.  Even Axl dropped most of them from the setlist because no one was interested.  

This band has always been about nostalgia, even while Axl continued his half baked effort to change that.  His willingness to once again play with a guy he called a cancer is a testament to that.  You don't need to be a mullet head to think the best version of this band was the classic lineup.   And liking CD surely doesn't  make anyone cool, edgy or modern.  Seriously, wtf.

just got my membership as i used up my likes.

Patience 4 Axl i agreed so much i spent money on membership lol

• Like 1

I Like the songs being played from CD. Those are some of the better songs on that album for me personally..So far I like the interpretations of it from Slash. Also get a kick out of the fact that he doesnt give one single fuck about the previous solos, he discards them completely and throws his own spin on them. I'd much rather a guitar player play his own interpretation than a solo note for note, or throw in notes that werent there in the first place

I dont get the love that Catcher in the Rye gets though...that song is fucking Dull. glad its not in the set, and I hope they never play it 

4 hours ago, Towelie said:

First question:

1. Is anyone else relieved that this tour isn't a complete nostalgia trip?

All the AFD5 mullethead purists seemed to throw their toys out of the pram around the Troubedour gig when they realised there was no Steven and Izzy and that Slash was going to play Axl's songs. It gives me great pleasure to see those whiney little bitches cry about that, because I was worried that Axl was going to abandon everything he had done for the last 15 years and disassociate himself from Chinese Democracy, which I think would've been a slap in the face to the fans who stuck by this band 2001-2014.

This whole paragraph sounds more about vengence against "mulletheads" than it does about enjoying the music GNR puts out.  I am just glad this reunion sounds good and has good songs within the setlist that Slash can rock the hell out of with Axl.

I was at the Friday vegas concert.  I loved seeing slash play the CD songs, but I can't say he made them better than the album versions.

The solos in those songs were very melodic on the album, carefully composed and written to complement the song.

When slash plays them he doesn't seem to try very hard to re-create the album version.  He does much more generic slash-style shredding and noodling that didn't seem to have much memorable melody to them.   I wish he had tried harder to play them like they are on the album, and maybe do a slight twist to make them his own, instead of just aimless guitar wanking all over them.  I wonder if it bugs axl, because you know he was such a perfectionist about CD that he got those solos recorded as they were on purpose.  I can't imagine he'd accept random shredding on the album versions.

All that aside, I'm still thrilled slash and duff are back and i hope to hear new recorded material soon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Towelie said:

Bullshit.

Plenty of GNR fans enjoyed Chinese. And even the fans that didn't aren't all like the knobheads who think GNR ended in 1989 when Steven Adler left.

Sure, fans may have liked parts of CD. But c'mon, let's be honest - the album doesn't come anywhere close to the creative, energetic, ground-breaking music that the original lineup created.

And judging from what we've seen in these first few shows - it's clear as day the guys in the original lineup bring out the absolute best in each other. When was the last time you saw Axl appear so happy and so content - and his voice so strong - as we saw last night?  Answer: About 25 years ago!  Ditto for Slash and Duff - it's electric the way they feed off each other and bring the band, as a whole, to a whole new level.  It's truly a case where the band together is far better than the sum of the individual parts. The chemistry is just second-to-none. It's magical.  

Regarding the original question - I've never been a fan of the CD title track itself. I like "Sorry" the best on that album - but I'm not sure it's a track they'd play since I'm guessing part of the lyrics are a shout-out to Slash when the two were estranged.

I never liked TIL - so not sure why it's getting played every night - there's just nothing special about it. Axl's voice isn't even very good on that song. I'd far rather hear Slither or Fall To Pieces, to be honest.

And I'm still hoping the other original members - Izzy and Steven/Matt - come onboard at some point. It would make the lineup complete and probably lift the band to an even higher level.  jmo.

5 hours ago, Towelie said:

First question:

1. Is anyone else relieved that this tour isn't a complete nostalgia trip?

All the AFD5 mullethead purists seemed to throw their toys out of the pram around the Troubedour gig when they realised there was no Steven and Izzy and that Slash was going to play Axl's songs. I

Okay, I just have to say that I kind of love this descriptiveness. :D

As to the actual question? Some of the songs on Chinese Democracy were actually good. They might not have been what one expected from GnR and they might not be to everyone's tastes, true. However, "Chinese Democracy" in particular sounds like it belongs with the band. Why *not* recognize that and play it? They play plenty of other songs in the set (and have throughout the years) like the Godfather theme, KOHD and New Rose, that weren't written by the core members together.

Edited by stella

19 minutes ago, madison said:

And I'm still hoping the other original members - Izzy and Steven/Matt - come onboard at some point. It would make the lineup complete and probably lift the band to an even higher level.  jmo.

Any one of them would certainly kick things up a notch.

3 hours ago, jekylhyde said:

I absolutely love the fact that they're playing Chinese Democracy -songs (the title track and Better great songs IMO). It's so cool to see/hear Slash and Duff playing those tracks. I like this hybrid line-up (Fortus FTW). It gives me hope that this isn't only about nostalgia. That there is new music coming some day.

Great time to be a Gn'R-fan!

This. The fact that they reworked Better completely with a new intro gives me hope that CD II will finally see the light of the day.

Chinese Democracy (the song) haven't sounded this good from 2001 (or ever!), Slash completely owns that riff. Better and TIL are cool too, but I'm not so keen on the new solos yet. Robin did an outstanding job with them and the album versions are better IMO. More melodic and memorable.

But overall I'm thrilled that they are playing CD material. Realistically I was expecting two songs max, but we already got four in just two concerts (including TWAT)!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Towelie said:

I'm a huge fan of the old band myself, you've taken it out of context. I'm referring to the nutjobs who think AFD is the only true GNR album.

In over 12 years here I don't recall anyone ever saying AFD was the only true GNR album.  If you meant that some people think the AFD5  were the only real GNR, then that's different.  And not something I would actually disagree with.  

Its coming off so totally hypocritical that some people here are creaming over the fact that Slash, Axl and Duff are finally on stage again, yet the fans who believe those 3 were a part of the best version of the band are called  nutjobs.  I can't dumb myself down enough to even try to comprehend that .

Before CD came out there used to be discussion on which albums were favorites.  Some people preferred the more classic rock sound of AFD over the Illusions because they felt they were too bloated and over produced.  Of course those definitions changed once CD came out.  It's always been possible to be a fan of a band and like one album more than another, or not like one album at all.  I don't love every song Slash has ever recorded, and I am not loving  any of his contributions on the CD material.  Yes, even Slash can't help that material.   I'm still enjoying most of the videos, I still bought a ticket, and I am still really happy to see the 3 of them performing together again.  But you asked for people's opinions, didn't like their answers, and resorted to name calling.  Bravo man.

People around here like to define what a fan is, and if it doesn't meet their own personal criteria they freak out.  I hate that shit.

9 hours ago, Towelie said:

So you think if the original band stuck together they would be having top 5 hits and selling records like it's 1991? Of course they wouldn't. An original band GNR album in 2008 would've likely sold a similar amount to Chinese and had a similar impact (ie, hardcore fans lapping it up, casual music fans being indifferent).

And I don't think the original band would be selling out stadiums in 2016 if it weren't for the fact that they haven't played together since '93. Also, when did I say that liking CD made me "cool, edgy and modern"? Or are you taking that from me calling AFD5 purists "mulletheads"? Hey man, I love AFD and the original band as much as you, I just don't live in 1989.

I seriously doubt you were even born before 1989.  Your parents probably like the Aerosmith era without Perry/Whitford also.

I hated CD... I worship Slash.... 

I think of the 3, Better is the most interesting. Now that it has been Classic Gunsified, I actually like it a fair amount. The only thing I think that drags it down is the chorus. The verses are actually pretty great. The new dark Melissa aided intro is very cool and surprising.... I love Slash's solos in it... and I don't love everything Slash does, haha, just... most of it :). Robin's solo on it on CD was the only thing I liked on that whole album, but Slash's take is sweet! A little less shredding in the 2nd half and it'd be classic.

Honestly though, I love Axl, he's a genuis no question, but This I Love is the "Axl side" of GNR taken to unbearable extreme. Just like some of Slash's solo stuff is generic garbage, TIL is overwrought cheese of the worst kind. I actually feel bad for feeling that way after watching how much Axl seemed into performing it on the 9th. 

I think There Was A Time would fit better with this version of the band, if they need a CD song to replace TIL. Just need to cut the first 15 seconds... sounds like a cat walking on a synth. I bet Slash would play it all sleazy and snotty.... and it needs it!

Edited by Ant

7 hours ago, NicDwolfwood said:

I Like the songs being played from CD. Those are some of the better songs on that album for me personally..So far I like the interpretations of it from Slash. Also get a kick out of the fact that he doesnt give one single fuck about the previous solos, he discards them completely and throws his own spin on them. I'd much rather a guitar player play his own interpretation than a solo note for note, or throw in notes that werent there in the first place

I dont get the love that Catcher in the Rye gets though...that song is fucking Dull. glad its not in the set, and I hope they never play it 

CITR is as good as 90% of the songs on the UYI albums and even some on AFD.  (the Brian May version I am talking about) It also has some of the best lyrics , probably the best of the CD era songs.  

7 hours ago, Nintari said:

If they're going to play Axl's music then Axl should sing Slash's music. It's really only fair because even though Axl's stuff was released under the GNR name, it wasn't with the original core guys. Slash and Duff had nothing to do with that material just as Axl had nothing to do with Fall to Pieces. 

But if you think about it, I'm sure there are GnR songs that Slash and Duff play that they didn't have anything to do with writing that feature on older albums.    Just as Axl sings songs he didn't write.

I'm not going to complain if they pull out VR song or something, but the CD songs are technically part of the GNR catalogue, so it makes more sense that they are being played.. and Slash gets to add his own stamp to them now.   Seems like a win-win for all.  

1 minute ago, Ant said:

Considering how low Scott's voice was I bet Axl could tear up some of VR's better songs.

But he called him a wig wearin' fuck.... not sure he wants to channel that. 

At their age, they may all have wigs or hair extensions.   

But as far as VR.. I'm not sure most of those songs as they are suit Axl's voice.    But I'm happy to be proven wrong. 

13 minutes ago, CardinalGunner said:

But if you think about it, I'm sure there are GnR songs that Slash and Duff play that they didn't have anything to do with writing that feature on older albums.    Just as Axl sings songs he didn't write.

I'm not going to complain if they pull out VR song or something, but the CD songs are technically part of the GNR catalogue, so it makes more sense that they are being played.. and Slash gets to add his own stamp to them now.   Seems like a win-win for all.  

Valid/Good points made here about the song writing credentials.  (I am fairly certain that the Big 5 have song writing credits on every AFD song).

I would still prefer that the big 3 stick with material that they wrote and/or recorded together.  So no Axl Rose project and no VR or solo Slash material on this tour IMO.

I think that VR first album is WAY better than CD.  I think Slash's solo material over a 20 year period is much better than what Axl put forward (that's not counting VR material btw, just his solo stuff). 

But this tour should be about what those guys put forward together on this particular tour.

vr.jpg

Edited by BadApples87

Yeah I think the covers thing is great. Layla... Seeker... 

Drop KOHD and LALD and do a show filled with new ones and I'd be stoked. It's the closest thing to new material... and GNR just thrashing other band's songs and making them their own is a part of what made GNR such a force... that GNR has an essence that crackles in any song they tackle. And in seeing them each put their little spin on it, we get to see them musically interact in new ways, which is always what excited me about a reunion in the first place.

Seriously, how awesome is that Layla bit.... all huddled around Axl's piano? :cry:

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ant said:

Yeah I think the covers thing is great. Layla... Seeker... 

Drop KOHD and LALD and do a show filled with new ones and I'd be stoked. It's the closest thing to new material... and GNR just thrashing other band's songs and making them their own is a part of what made GNR such a force... that GNR has an essence that crackles in any song they tackle. And in seeing them each put their little spin on it, we get to see them musically interact in new ways, which is always what excited me about a reunion in the first place.

Seriously, how awesome is that Layla bit.... all huddled around Axl's piano? :cry:

I can't ever see them dropping KOHD and LALD.    I know a lot of the hardcore fans wish they would.