Anyone else pleased that Axl hasn't abandoned Chinese? And how do Slash fans feel about him playing on CD-era songs?

Having Slash play This I Love was a dream come true and Axl killed it on the vocal.  I love the intro to Better and Axl sounds great on the "anger" part.  Slash seems lost on the solo, but that's to be expected because it's complicated.  The important thing is for him to hit the high notes at the end of it.  Chinese Democracy is probably my least favorite track from the album, although it's so awesome to hear Slash play it.  I look forward to hearing as many songs from that album as they are willing to play, especially I.R.S.  

We are getting the best case scenario for the entire fan base right now.   I'd rather see complaints about Slash playing songs from CD than complaints about NuGnR being the world's greatest cover band.

Edited by Bridge school
I added some more thoughts

Well, let's see...

I kinda expected they would play Axl solo songs, he had to compromise. He's not late anymore and seems to be part of rehearsals. So he probably wanted to play some of his songs in exchange. Let's analyze them:

Chinese Democracy: I liked the song in 2001 and 2001 only, punk vibe, short solo, no 5 layers of Axl voices, what a fun song! So I liked the Slash version too, it sounds great and it's like 3 minutes long, count me in. Richard should rework his solo too.

This I Love: This song is terrible and Slash can do nothing to change it although his solo is cool. The awful lyrics and cheesy orchestra synth are still there though :(

Better: I've always liked this song. Robin is my favorite guitar player ever and an awesome musician, how could I not like it? It's his biggest contribution to Axl's album. His solo is perfect, Slash does a good job on it as well. The song should be dropped for one reason: Axl can't do this song live, not even when he was at the top of his game he could do it properly.

I wouldn't mind ONE BIT if they had abandoned CD for good, seriously. Since they're playing I try to enjoy the interesting aspects of it, and Slash playing them is interesting. That's it. They're also playing CW, Coma, Estranged and NR, how could I complain? :lol:

Much more interesting than Slash adding random solos to Axl songs would be listening to Axl's take on Fall to Pieces or Slither, which are far superior songs and much more popular.

I think it's kinda funny that now, after years of baggin' on Chinese Democracy, people are talking about how much it rocks....all because Slash is playing on some of those songs now. People are dumb.

I'm glad to see Duff & Slash playing on some of the CD era stuff. I'd imagine, for them, it's just like playing any other cover tune.

• Like 1

On 10-4-2016 at 5:41 PM, Towelie said:

1. Is anyone else relieved that this tour isn't a complete nostalgia trip?

Very. And I really hope they'll go deeper into all their back catalogues. Maybe we'll hear more GnR live rarities. Locomotive would be a great one. Or maybe Perfect Crime. I'd love to hear Axl do Fall To Pieces or Slither. Not sure if he's open to the idea, but it seems fair to me since Slash and Duff are doing CD material too. I'd LOVE to hear it. Doing these songs is also a form of mutual admiration if anything in my opinion. And I'd love it. 

On 10-4-2016 at 5:41 PM, Towelie said:

2. How do Slash fans feel about him playing on CD-era material?

Great. I feel his style genuinely improves them too. Especially CD. I've always said the main problem with the album is production and mixing. These live versions settle a fair bit of that. Nobody gets that same bluesy Gibson sound. And like I said, to me it's also a showing of admiration towards what they've done seperately. I like that. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, username said:

And I really hope they'll go deeper into all their back catalogues. Maybe we'll hear more GnR live rarities. Locomotive

I have a feeling Locomotive will shine it's head... I think Axl and Slash could knock that one out of the park.. Would be cool to see Axl hit the piano for the end part as well.. Locomotive into Layla into November Rain? That would be insane.

• Like 1

Slash is great on This I Love, plays it better than anyone (live). Even Slash can't save Chinese Democracy (the single) as it was never all that to begin with.

Edited by star

20 minutes ago, star said:

Slash is great on This I Love, plays it better than anyone (live). Even Slash can't save Chinese Democracy (the single) as it was never all that to begin with.

I always thought CD was a good little song. I remember really liking the Rock in RIO version back in 2001.. TIL is dog shit to my ears though. 

Going into this weekend, I did not want to hear CD songs.  I'm an old guns fan and have no particular interest in CD era stuff.  However after this weekend, I really enjoyed the CD stuff they played and have no problem with it being included.

Strip away the industrial tone and over-production issues and all of a sudden you have some great sounding rock and roll tunes...amazing how that happens.

A few years back, Paul McCartney pushed for the re-release of  the final Beatles album, Let It Be - without all the Phil Spector over-production. 

I wonder if something like this would be a good idea with these new, stripped down versions of the Chinese Democracy songs. 

I'd love a Slash version of Madagascar, in particular - I think the album version was a real wasted opportunity, compared to some of the earlier live versions.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2016 at 11:54 AM, Patience 4 Axl said:

CD was always just ok for me,  I can take it or leave it, and would prefer anything from UYI played over it.  I always did like TWAT and if there's one song I'd be open to him playing its that one.     

I'm confused as to the number of fans who just want to see the 25 year old stuff played again for the sake of nostalgia I guess. And will this tour morph into the likes of a Stones tour with 50 and 60 somethings wearing old faded GNR t-shirts yawning waiting on the 11 pm start.

Edited by shades

35 minutes ago, shades said:

I'm confused as to the number of fans who just want to see the 25 year old stuff played again for the sake of nostalgia I guess. And will this tour morph into the likes of a Stones tour with 50 and 60 somethings wearing old faded GNR t-shirts yawning waiting on the 11 pm start.

Newsflash.. They aren't selling out Stadiums because people have been chomping at the bit for 23 years to see Slash play CD songs..

23 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Newsflash.. They aren't selling out Stadiums because people have been chomping at the bit for 23 years to see Slash play CD songs..

This is true, there's definitely a huge nostalgia factor, just as there was with NuGnR.  Fans wanted to hear Axl sing. The most popular reason for the dismissal of Chinese Democracy was that Slash wasn't involved.

I get what your saying, but "fans" of the band have either accepted the evolution of the band or been lobbying for a reunion. In a way, they have been clamouring to hear Slash play CD songs. The casual fan wants to hear the radio hits and shouldn't be catered to exclusively, meaning that, GNR ignores 3/4 of its catalogue so as not to bore them.  Conversely, they might hear a song that they'd never heard, or really paid attention to, and then seek it out later.

On 4/10/2016 at 0:42 PM, Patience 4 Axl said:

Yeah, it's not bullshit.  How many stadiums did nuGNR sell out on their own?  Thought so.  It's obvious Axl wasn't really making bank on those arena tours trying to sell no name musicians as Guns.  I was at half filled shows.   And those CD songs died a quick death on the radio and charts despite the so called plenty of fans it had.  Even Axl dropped most of them from the setlist because no one was interested.  

This band has always been about nostalgia, even while Axl continued his half baked effort to change that.  His willingness to once again play with a guy he called a cancer is a testament to that.  You don't need to be a mullet head to think the best version of this band was the classic lineup.   And liking CD surely doesn't  make anyone cool, edgy or modern.  Seriously, wtf.

haters gonna hate I guess..

And CD didn't do well because there is no place on radio for Rock Music today. No where, no body.  And who is to judge what good rock music is and what isn't. Except maybe someone, or the era of people who actually know what it means to hear a new rock song and judge it on it's merit. I could list a hundred songs that didn't sound that great the first time or few times you heard them, but after they got air time and were played under conditions at a party, or on the beach, or in a high school parking lot full volume evolved into some of the best classics of all times. And there is an argument, imo, to be made that if anyone was qualified to judge what  good rock music is and what isn't, and I'm still going with really no one is truly "qualified", but IF anyone is it is people who grew up in aforementioned era.. And I say CD is as good an album that has come out , rock and roll album since the early 90's. You can't redefine rock music, you can like something different and that's fine, but you can't call the shit that bands are putting out today rock music.

It's not a cash grab, go-through-the-motions, nostalgia-purposes-only tour. If it was, they wouldn't play Coma and Estranged.

I'm fine with ChiDem songs being played, if only for giving a nod to Richard's (and slightly Frank's) contributions. Richard has been in the band for 15 years. If we're only to hear AFD, Lies, and UYI material, then we're shunning what Richard helped create. ChiDem songs give a head nod to Richard and his value to the band.

I'd like to hear them play Catcher. It had potential to be a great song, the "Patience" of ChiDem. It had too much going on, though. Too many things happening at once. It wasn't "simple" enough, like "Patience" was.

If you want to hear Slash's version of a shredding guitar solo from ChiDem mixed with Axl's lyrics, then IRS is the gold.

Edited by 3rd Wheel