Axl would sound even better if he would take the songs a few steps down

Axl would sound even better if he would take the songs a few steps down like Plant does with Zeppelin and Tyler does with Aerosmith.  Tons of singers that used to have a high range in their primes have stepped down some of their songs to make it easier to sing, Axl should do the same.  It would save his voice for one and he would also sound much better. He shouldn't try to sing like he did in his 20s and early 30s.  

Axl aways songs really good when he sings in his normal voice or lower register its when he tries to hit those high octaves he starts to have his voice get all thing and Mickey like. would have to hear him try for a couple shows to see if it works out.

Not sure what everyone else thinks. 

We had a topic about this a while ago -- I think they should totally try it!

I don't quite understand the nature of Axl's voice and rasp... but it might make it easier for him and it'd still sound kick ass. I think it almost sounds better in some instances (Nightrain, 7mins in below)! I hope someone has ran it by him.

Check this out:

Edited by Ant

Guns is already a half step down. Many of the 80's bands started in standard tuning and quickly realized if they wanted any voice half step down is where it saves you. Even Guns started in standard their very early days. Listen to Motley if you are curious what 80's Rock sounds like a full step down.

The thing is, a key of a song is part of what shaped the entire song.  The tonic, what all the other notes revolve around, is part of why we perceive a song a certain way.  Some bands can get away with it like Zeppelin, but I don't think you can alter the key center of GNR tunes without the entire vibe of the song changing as a result.

Plus Axl sounds good, judging by how he sounds these past few shows I see no need for altering the key anyway

Im not sure I agree, High notes dont seem to be the problem for Axl..I cant imagine these songs tuned down. alot of people are referencing Zeppelin, but I may be in the small minority in that I hated how many of the songs sounded on Celebration Day..Songs like whole lotta Love, Black Dog, etc sounded flat out wrong in D tuning. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GNFR said:
13 hours ago, highvoltage said:

I actually disagree. The highest notes are where Axl is currently at his best. LALD screams, the breakdown in better, opening scream on Jungle, etc....

He struggles when he tries to use his falsetto in his mid-high range instead of his chest voice. Lowering the songs would only make the songs more difficult for him to sing due to the falsetto style he's singing with these days.

so maybe I'm using the wrong terminology and what I really mean is singing less in his falsetto and use more head voice. 

14 hours ago, gnfnr2k said:

Axl would sound even better if he would take the songs a few steps down like Plant does with Zeppelin and Tyler does with Aerosmith.  Tons of singers that used to have a high range in their primes have stepped down some of their songs to make it easier to sing, Axl should do the same.  It would save his voice for one and he would also sound much better. He shouldn't try to sing like he did in his 20s and early 30s.  

Axl aways songs really good when he sings in his normal voice or lower register its when he tries to hit those high octaves he starts to have his voice get all thing and Mickey like. would have to hear him try for a couple shows to see if it works out.

Not sure what everyone else thinks. 

He might sound better but would the songs sound better?

My point is that many GN'R songs wouldn't sound the same if sung in chest voice without that belting wail. So I don't think it is given that it would be better even if Axl's voice separately might be less strained.

You CANNOT change the tuning of a song, and have it sound the same. 

I listened to Judas Priest play "Another Thing Coming" live on a video, and the beginning is them chugging in F# minor on the power chord.  Well, this show, they had tuned down a whole step to make the song "heavier"  and you couldn't even recognize what song they were trying to play.

I disagree! I recently saw Chris Cornell perform acoustically, and as soon as he played "Nearly Forgot My Broken Heart", I could tell it had been tuned down. It sounded uncomfortable/unsteady compared to the studio version. 

Never. Axl has no problem hitting those high notes, rasp or not. I understand if singer simply cant hit the notes anymore, and it helps to try half step down, its ok. Whole step down....it changes the music too much. 

• Like 1