Unofficial GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I grasped between lines the way you relate to them and I don't like it and I'm not sure it is the "correct" way to relate to them as it looks to me, a bit unhealthy. But I will not label it as right or wrong, because this kind of things are not correct or incorrect. If you that's what you choose for you and it makes you happy, then so be it.

I wouldn't feel happy thinking they are some kind of gods who once in a while should act in a "decent" way (:question:) and "throw me a bone". I don't consider myself a dog or someone of a minor category.

Also, when I said "owe" the fans I wasn't being literal about it. I have tried to explain it more than once, but some people here insist on interpreting it as I think the band legally owes me albums, shows, etc.

I guess it must be the mental structure of some people what prevents them from understanding what I really mean.

I think it is VERY healthy to not feel artists owe their fans anything. Such feelings are likely to just result in disappointment since artists rarely can live up to the expectations of their devoted fans. To be a happy GN'R fan I think you have to go further, to a "always hope, never expect" mentality, but that's a digression.

Not even in a MORAL sense to Guns N' Roses owe their fans anything. The world doesn't work that way. It would make business sense to honor the hardcore fans and it would be a nice gesture to do so, but there is no moral obligations that they act in any special way simply because some people really, really, really like them.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Or should that be, only GN'R fans feel the need to remind other GN'R fans that ''the band does not owe them anything'' in order to justify twenty-five years of a shit sandwich? 

Wait. No one is justifying anything here. I cannot from a business perspective justify Guns N' Roses actions. Nor from a artistic perspective justify Guns N' Roses actions. But I also cannot agree that we are entitled to anything simply because we have decided to support them. 

1 minute ago, tbaugerud said:

After 36 years on planet earth, I have come to the following conclusion:

There's absolutely no point in discussing with people who hold polar opposite views. It's a waste of time for both parties. 

Right or wrong is irrelevant.

After 42 years I have come to realize that it can be highly entertaining. Don't enter a discussion with an intent to change any minds, only to influence those on the fence, preach to the choir, and have a good time.

• Like 1

This has been lively and fun reading. If GnR had dissolved itself in 1993 with all members going their separate way to follow their own musical path, would the fan base be asking what does GnR owe them? I don't think so, happiness would be found in AFD, Lies and UYI I and II. But solely because Axl wanted GnR to survive, evolve and grow, we have GnR CD and the possibilities of new music not yet released. By being a fan, we aren't in a contractual relationship nor in a two sided emotional relationship. From the early interviews with Axl it was evident he felt that fans believed they owned him and GnR and fans were a bit of a nuisance. Do I wish he didn't feel this way? Yes!  Those on this forum, are fortunate, there's the letters where he took the time to chat with you and answer questions! From a nuisance (fan) of more than 30 years who only joined this page in the past month, I was very moved by such an act of kindness from Axl toward this group. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Yeah there's alot of musicians that release material on a regular basis. Guns has never been that way, they are on a limited amount of time now to do that and they will capitalize on another release and that will probably be it. The Axl/DC gig is a more urgent matter considering the fact Axl has a once in a lifetime opportunity to record a CD with one of his hero's who has even less time to do so.

But Niel Young or any other artist does not owe anyone any specific amount of material. 

He doesn't need to owe anyone: he simply delivers. Vice versa, his fanbase do not need ''to be owned'' anything: they simply receive. It is a reciprocal relationship.

As I said, this argument never arises with other artists. 

10 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Same coin, different side.

We all want to think best of the people in entertainment we like which is why the ''Axl does not owe you anything'' chestnut is convenient. As I said, it merely excuses being treated appallingly by Guns N' Roses/Rose/Team Brazil for twenty-five plus years. We are all guilty of this: I myself once talked myself into liking an incredibly bad film once because I worshiped the director, when in reality it was pure excrement. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

We all want to think best of the people in entertainment we like which is why the ''Axl does not owe you anything'' chestnut is convenient. As I said, it merely excuses being treated appallingly by Guns N' Roses/Rose/Team Brazil for twenty-five plus years. 

Not at all. You are not getting it. HATING the way the band operates is FULLY COMPATIBLE with realizing that the band doesn't owe you anything. Actually this is the core of my point: Some people, especially people who are a bit young, cannot separate the feeling of disliking something from the feeling of feeling they are owed differently. It's the me, me, ME! way of thinking. I don't like it, hence I should have something differently. I don't appreciate being treated this way, they should treat me differently!

Edited by SoulMonster

1 hour ago, Derick said:

Sorry but the only thing most or all members here want is what’s best for their self. We want what pleases us...Let’s get real.

No one would be expecting lore material if Axl himself hadn't made promised several times that it was coming. 

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

No one would be expecting lore material if Axl himself hadn't made promised several times that it was coming. 

I still expect more material. Yeah, that's how naive I am :D. But this expectation is unrelated to the feeling that the band OWE me something. 

An artist can hype a future band as much as they want, yet I will never feel they owe me an album. I will hope for that album. I will wish for that album. I will be disappointed if it doesn't materialize. But that's the end of it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Not at all. You are not getting it. HATING the way the band operates is FULLY COMPATIBLE with realizing that the band doesn't owe you anything. 

Who is even saying that they are ''owed something'', in the sense that Rose is contractually bounded to deliver-up Legend of the Red Panda to their abode? I have never seen someone so explicitly adamant that they are owed something here. 

I suspect it is a straw man, to deflect Guns treating their fanbase like an used fanny-pad for so many years. 

• GNFNR 2

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Who is even saying that they are ''owed something'', in the sense that Rose is contractually bounded to deliver-up Legend of the Red Panda to their abode? I have never seen someone so explicitly adamant that they are owed something here. 

I dunno, but that was what was being discussed. I am just joining a discussion.

But wait, killyouridols said something to the effect, a moral obligation.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I suspect it is a straw man, to deflect Guns treating their fanbase like an used fanny-pad for so many years. 

How can the fanbase now be complaining? GnR is giving the fanbase exactly what they want, NITLT tour. Fans have long wanted the original lineup back together and the big 3 with the occasional appearance of Adler on a song or 2 is as close to the original 5 as will likely ever happen. 

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Why are your feelings so hurt by Axl/Guns? This is not a rational or healthy way to view a band. This is a band, nothing more... 

2 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

How can the fanbase now be complaining? GnR is giving the fanbase exactly what they want, NITLT tour. Fans have long wanted the original lineup back together and the big 3 with the occasional appearance of Adler on a song or 2 is as close to the original 5 as will likely ever happen. 

Exactly.. and judging by ticket sales the vast majority is more then content.

• Like 1

If I had the capacity for unhappiness I would be hugely unhappy with GN'R. No one would be more disappointed than me (with the possible exception of ludurigan). I loved Appetite, and since then it's been shit. I loathed the bloated years (you know, the years when Duff took on the visual appearance of everything that was wrong with GNR). And when I almost started to enjoy nuGuns, Ashba joined the band and Axl lost all will to create. Then, when whatever hope I had left for new music was almost gone yet still there in some miniscule and resilient stature, it was completely obliterated by a uninspired cash-grab pseudo-reunion. Hahaha. It's like the band does the exact opposite of what I want at every possible turn. 

But do I mistake this feeling of (potential) disappointment with some entitlement? No.

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

One time he alluded to more music, another time he told the fans they'd better wait for the second coming of Jesus instead.

I guess we choose to hang upon his promising statements because that's what we wish for to happen.

2 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Kathy Bates, "Misery" comes to mind. "I'm your biggest fan"....

Yes, that is exactly me.

All I will say is I remember about five years removing this appetite poster I had on my wall and binning it. I found it strangely cathartic, the final severance from something I followed as a child. 

7 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

that s right they have done this half reunion and it s fantastic after 20 + years of no real GNR. 

BUT: we are human and human beings always aspire more (=AFD5) . it s our DNA to want more , if not we would still live in caves and go by foot.

Someone pointed it out: if there was an official statement that GNR was dead in the nineties that would have been it.

this band/their music gave so much to me that I chose to support and watch NuGNR. it was the next best thing for me as I can t stand Myles voice and Izzy s work was too boring for my taste. 

Did we get explanations or interviews what to expect since 2016? No. stupid twitter messages from fernando and that was it. We have no clue so only hope remains for those fans like me that love them since the beginning. 

Fortus , Baz and so om told the media how many songs axl has so the expectation is here in the fanbase. but still no real information by axl. 

i dont want to move on cause other bands don t touch me. I hope we ll get more than we already have since 2016. 

and they dont owe us anything but they want us to come and pay 100- 250 usd per ticket to see them. and don t give any extra information that would be appreciated. they just play shows. show me one band who just plays shows...

10 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Kathy Bates, "Misery" comes to mind. "I'm your biggest fan"....

Not this this is an attack exactly, but this is exactly what I'm talking about when I say you come off as so bitter and angry. 

You're not even attempting to understand other users point of view, you're just interested in saying insulting things like comparing them to people like Kathy Bates in Misery? 

Not sure who in your camp told you that was a good comparison, but it's way off base. You may want to take a look again at the actual content and context of the posts you're replying to. 

• Like 2

Just now, RussTCB said:

Not this this is an attack exactly, but this is exactly what I'm talking about when I say you come off as so bitter and angry. 

You're not even attempting to understand other users point of view, you're just interested in saying insulting things like comparing them to people like Kathy Bates in Misery? 

Not sure who in your camp told you that was a good comparison, but it's way off base. You may want to take a look again at the actual content and context of the posts you're replying to. 

I was trying to be funny!!!

Seriously man..

If you don't like me just say it. I can.live with that. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

, it was completely obliterated by a uninspired cash-grab pseudo-reunion. Hahaha. It's like the band does the exact opposite of what I want at every possible turn.

I honestly believe that the NITLT is GnR giving back to the fans. I like you wasn't rushing to get my tickets. I did that in '88, '89 and '91. I would have loved new material but I think the majority of people as evident by the ticket sales don't care about new material sadly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

And I happen to love that movie.

Just now, Kwick1 said:

I honestly believe that the NITLT is GnR giving back to the fans. I like you wasn't rushing to get my tickets. I did that in '88, '89 and '91. I would have loved new material but I think the majority of people as evident by the ticket sales don't care about new material sadly. 

I absolutely believe that part of the motivation behind Axl getting Slash and Duff back into the band is him knowing the fans would appreciate it. 

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I absolutely believe that part of the motivation behind Axl getting Slash and Duff back into the band is him knowing the fans would appreciate it. 

I'm out of reactions today but yes! NITLT is Axl being gracious to the fans. Maybe I'm not just a nuisance after 30 years 😊