Unofficial GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

13 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Duff and Axl have lied about things before and they had a clear motive in this lawsuit situation. One was/is an addict, the other mentally unstable(at least back then). So I'm sure the truth is probably somewhere in the middle but I cbf talking about this at least not with you.

P.S. You've given a terrible impression and I don't suffer fools gladly. Mystery solved. :shrugs:

I haven't seen anything valid that would bring me to the unlikely conclusion that Duff and Axl were liars, I think both are very forthcoming and honest. 

Haha! My views on this really seem to upset you, nice projection effort! :thumbsup:

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea of fn' Duff McKagan showing Steven Adler what to play is so absurd that it blows my mind. That's like saying Steven taught Axl how to sing... :facepalm:

Have anyone listened to Believe In Me? Legendary drummer Duff McKagan played drums on most of it. Is there anyone who thinks the drumming on that album is superior to the drumming on Appetite? Personally I haven't heard anything special or memorable on it but I'm sure Duff didn't play his best on purpose to make Steven look cool :smiley-confused2:

"I'd like to do more music with him — always; for the rest of my life." That's what Duff said about Izzy in June 2015 with the reunion in motion. Such an honest man he is.

Again, who visited Duff in the hospital when his pancreas exploded? Was it Axl or Slash? I wonder what's his answer this week... :ph34r:

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

16 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

The idea of fn' Duff McKagan showing Steven Adler what to play is so absurd that it blows my mind. That's like saying Steven taught Axl how to sing... :facepalm:

Have anyone listened to Believe In Me? Legendary drummer Duff McKagan played drums on most of it. Is there anyone who thinks the drumming on that album is superior to the drumming on Appetite? Personally I haven't heard anything special or memorable on it but I'm sure Duff didn't play his best on purpose to make Steven look cool :smiley-confused2:

"I'd like to do more music with him — always; for the rest of my life." That's what Duff said about Izzy in June 2015 with the reunion in motion. Such an honest man he is.

Again, who visited Duff in the hospital when his pancreas exploded? Was it Axl or Slash? I wonder what's his answer this week... :ph34r:

:facepalm:

If you would bother to read Duff's Bio the answer is there. 

Excerpt:

Not long after I got out of the hospital, Axl came up to Seattle to visit me. He was the only member of the band who had called me in the hospital, though McBob and Adam Day from the crew also called. I think from afar it must have sounded to Slash like just another brush with the line - and besides, he was dealing with an addiction of his own. Not that anyone owed me a call in a situation that was of my own making, but Axl’s concern still touched me."

(Duff, Autobiography)

Duff hasn't said he wouldn't work with Izzy, so your quote isn't proof of anything. :blink:

The rest of your post is simply absurd. 

Edited by RazorGunner

5 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Who visited him?

17 hours ago, scooby845 said:

I believe Adler is right regarding the whole lawsuit thing. Especially with Axl getting the credit for the songs he did not write (except lyrics).

If Steven did not invent drum parts, the who did it?

The other side of the story and people are defending Steven for creating the demo drum patters for the early UYI sessions. I mean, what the fuck?

Rob Gardner wrote the drum arrangements for Think About You and probably some of the other songs as well.

Edited by Sosso

9 hours ago, RazorGunner said:

Excerpt:

Not long after I got out of the hospital, Axl came up to Seattle to visit me. He was the only member of the band who had called me in the hospital, though McBob and Adam Day from the crew also called. I think from afar it must have sounded to Slash like just another brush with the line - and besides, he was dealing with an addiction of his own. Not that anyone owed me a call in a situation that was of my own making, but Axl’s concern still touched me."

(Duff, Autobiography)

Duff hasn't said he wouldn't work with Izzy, so your quote isn't proof of anything. :blink:

if Duff's condition to join the reunion would have been Izzy maybe Izzy would be on board. I like Duff a lot but as Slash also Duff gave different answers to same questions in the last 20 years.. 

If in 2015 he says he would love to make music with Izzy for the rest of his live and then doesn t insist on his inclusion it s weird.

steven should have also participated to a larger extent but then something happened and they threw him under the bus. They could have waited for his back to heal.. as the whole NITL tour was planned only short time before the various legs happened. 

The 5 of them together were unique and the best hardrock band of that period but every effort on a solo basis was between "meh" and "ok"-  nothing was magical like Guns n Roses. They can deny as much as they want but it is like it is. 

9 hours ago, RazorGunner said:

Excerpt:

(Duff, Autobiography)

That's exactly my point. That's what Duff said in his book and this is what he said in an interview in 2000.

When you were real sick, did anyone in Guns N' Roses or your other friends try to help you out?

Slash. Yeah, Slash, my friends in Seattle and my family were there.

You had a group of people supporting you, didn't you.

Yeah, I'm the youngest of eight brothers, so I had my family by me in the hospital. It was very nice that Slash was there as well. He and me, we've shared some stuff together. We're like brothers.

8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

It's a different thing to show someone how to play something and a different thing to be able to play it yourself.

Matt Sorum said that Axl told him how to play November Rain and Estranged. Does it mean that Axl could play them like that (and at all) himself? Of course not.

Axl asked Matt to do something very specific and simple and to play it over and over, I don't see how that's comparable to the Appetite situation. If you heard Brain's podcast, you know how intricate and unique Steven's playing is. I'm not saying Duff couldn't have suggested him to try a different thing/approach here and there but to claim he wrote the parts... Then I wonder why the Illusions demos with Steven sounded so different from the final versions with Matt, was that Duff writing different things for each one of them?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

It's a different thing to show someone how to play something and a different thing to be able to play it yourself.

Matt Sorum said that Axl told him how to play November Rain and Estranged. Does it mean that Axl could play them like that (and at all) himself? Of course not.

:lol: seriously, none of that makes sense!

Usually a person who teaches something to someone else is the one who knows the most and KNOWS how to do something for having the previous experience of doing it.

I think Sorum's words are being conveniently distorted so it sounds like Axl taught him drumming when he means something totally different :facepalm:

15 minutes ago, killuridols said:

:lol: seriously, none of that makes sense!

Usually a person who teaches something to someone else is the one who knows the most and KNOWS how to do something for having the previous experience of doing it.

I think Sorum's words are being conveniently distorted so it sounds like Axl taught him drumming when he means something totally different :facepalm:

I've never read a post interpreting Sorum's words this way.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Natty said:

if Duff's condition to join the reunion would have been Izzy maybe Izzy would be on board. I like Duff a lot but as Slash also Duff gave different answers to same questions in the last 20 years.. 

If in 2015 he says he would love to make music with Izzy for the rest of his live and then doesn t insist on his inclusion it s weird.

steven should have also participated to a larger extent but then something happened and they threw him under the bus. They could have waited for his back to heal.. as the whole NITL tour was planned only short time before the various legs happened. 

The 5 of them together were unique and the best hardrock band of that period but every effort on a solo basis was between "meh" and "ok"-  nothing was magical like Guns n Roses. They can deny as much as they want but it is like it is. 

So you are faulting Duff because you think he didn't insist on others being included on a full time basis? 

Izzy was offered some guest appearances, as was Matt and Adler. The only thing publicly known is that Izzy and Matt didn't take the offer and that they and GNR couldn't come to an agreement that pleased everybody. 

The band was actually around Adler on a first person basis, and have the right to decide who is included and who is not, this isn't a fan decision- to think it is reeks of entitlement. 

You may not have enjoyed subsequent lineups of GNR, but that is your opinion not a fact.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RazorGunner said:

So you are faulting Duff because you think he didn't insist on others being included on a full time basis? 

Izzy was offered some guest appearances, as was Matt and Adler. The only thing publicly known is that Izzy and Matt didn't take the offer and that they and GNR couldn't come to an agreement that pleased everybody. 

The band was actually around Adler on a first person basis, and have the right to decide who is included and who is not, this isn't a fan decision- to think it is reeks of entitlement. 

You may not have enjoyed subsequent lineups of GNR, but that is your opinion not a fact.

"Entitlement" that's what most fans think and feel, like this band owes them something. 

No real band starts out like that, but there's a bunch of bands that sell out after the fact to keep the lifestyle they've aquired intact.

I'll just say I'm glad Axl is doing what he wants to do with Angus. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

That's exactly my point. That's what Duff said in his book and this is what he said in an interview in 2000.

When you were real sick, did anyone in Guns N' Roses or your other friends try to help you out?

Slash. Yeah, Slash, my friends in Seattle and my family were there.

You had a group of people supporting you, didn't you.

Yeah, I'm the youngest of eight brothers, so I had my family by me in the hospital. It was very nice that Slash was there as well. He and me, we've shared some stuff together. We're like brothers.

Axl asked Matt to do something very specific and simple and to play it over and over, I don't see how that's comparable to the Appetite situation. If you heard Brain's podcast, you know how intricate and unique Steven's playing is. I'm not saying Duff couldn't have suggested him to try a different thing/approach here and there but to claim he wrote the parts... Then I wonder why the Illusions demos with Steven sounded so different from the final versions with Matt, was that Duff writing different things for each one of them?

Unless you include sources for quotes you use, they aren't really valid. 

You have three different people saying Adler was helped with his drumming, or didn't write a thing according to Axl. 

The band literally helped him form his sound by removing pieces of his gear. 

Slash said Adler used to watch his feet for rhythm- 

"In the past, Steve used to watch my feet for meter, and I always rush things in certain places-not on purpose. So a lot of our tempos would be all over the place. We just got used to that. A couple of times we had a drummer fill in for Steve on the road, and in the middle of 'Welcome to the Jungle' I'd realize I'm four beats ahead of the drummer. So, now I'm learning to play with an actual musician" (Matt) -From Musician, December 1990

He simply wasn't this phenomenal drummer that people want to paint him as, and it makes no real business sense to include him when they have a very competent drummer that causes no drama. 

Adler should be very grateful they were gracious enough to include him at all, considering some of the things he has said and done, instead of running his mouth in the media and getting his brother to attack them and disparage GNR. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dgnr said:

'But see, whenever we've played with other drummers... I mean, these guys can be meter-perfect but it just has never worked. Stevie's timing is all "up and down", "up and down". It speeds up. Then it slows down. It's fucked up but it works. And like that's the thing about Guns N' Roses. The more fucked up things are the more they seem to work for us.' - Izzy Stradlin.

This is exactly what makes the drumming on AFD so great, and this is exactly what Duff couldn't teach Steven.

I can believe that Duff may have discussed with Steven about how certain parts of the songs should sound. Like Axl talked to Matt about November Rain. Or Slash made very clear to Axl how he should sing the 'Goddamit' word in 'Coma'. That's what a band does, exchange ideas during the creative process, trying to bring the best out of one another and into the songs. But thinking that Duff Mckagan, that genius drummer, wrote Steven's parts is just laughable IMO :shrugs:

Best reasoning about this topic that I've read so far!

:headbang:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dgnr said:

'But see, whenever we've played with other drummers... I mean, these guys can be meter-perfect but it just has never worked. Stevie's timing is all "up and down", "up and down". It speeds up. Then it slows down. It's fucked up but it works. And like that's the thing about Guns N' Roses. The more fucked up things are the more they seem to work for us.' - Izzy Stradlin.

This is exactly what makes the drumming on AFD so great, and this is exactly what Duff couldn't teach Steven.

I can believe that Duff may have discussed with Steven about how certain parts of the songs should sound. Like Axl talked to Matt about November Rain. Or Slash made very clear to Axl how he should sing the 'Goddamit' word in 'Coma'. That's what a band does, exchange ideas during the creative process, trying to bring the best out of one another and into the songs. But thinking that Duff Mckagan, that genius drummer, wrote Steven's parts is just laughable IMO :shrugs:

Where exactly is the evidence that Slash told Axl how to sing a word in Coma? 

Duff testified under oath that he helped Adler with the drum parts, it doesn't seem far fetched at all in light of what Axl and Niven said regarding Adler. 

And none of that really matters now, after this latest attack from Adler's brother I am hoping everyone sees the wisdom in not including Adler anymore in any GNR tour. 

Totally not worth the risk or aggravation.