Should Izzy be in the current band?

Even though Izzy is more of the old school rock n roll player, Combined with Slash, he still brings in some catchy riffs.

For instance, this Velvet Revolver riff is Izzy's. He uses it on one of his songs. The same riff is on a VR song (with a different variation)

That being said, it would be cool if Izzy came back, but I'm not waiting for Appetite 2.0, I'm waiting for a modern GNR album (Velvet Revolver esque, but also CD esque)

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, default_ said:

As much as I love Izzy, I want to see what Axl, Duff and Slash can do without him. 
If we get a terrible new album (assuming we'll get one) then we'll all know that yes, we need Izzy in the band 'cause looking at these guys discographies after Guns N' Roses... Theres nothing really exciting about it. 

Some might say Izzy solo stuff is boring but it has the thing this band needs the most: Rock N' Roll. Not heavy metal, not nu metal, not industrial or Elton John. Rock N' Fuckin' Roll. Izzy's ideas combined with elements from Slash, Duff and Axl equals Guns N' Fuckin Roses. 

Do you think that fans can appreciate facets of you as a solo musician that couldn't be seen in Guns N' Roses? 

Izzy: "Each song that I've recorded since I left Guns N' Roses, is the same type of song that I did when I was in GN'R. What happened then was that I composed a song, and then Slash added his part and Axl added his part, and that became Guns N' Roses. Whereas, what you hear when you put on one of my CDs, is the same ideas and the same inspiration that I had in Guns N' Roses but without Slash or Axl. It is the more basic version.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mendez said:

Even though Izzy is more of the old school rock n roll player, Combined with Slash, he still brings in some catchy riffs.

For instance, this Velvet Revolver riff is Izzy's. He uses it on one of his songs

That being said, it would be cool if Izzy came back, but I'm not waiting for Appetite 2.0, I'm waiting for a modern GNR album (Velvet Revolver esque, but also CD esque)

I never heard this one before. Sounds killer! 

I've been able to live with fortus but as time goes on, I'm wanting izzy back more and more. Hopefully they deal him back in at some point. The big 3 being back and guest spots from Adler is pretty awesome but, life is just too short and getting the appetite 5 on stage together is just too big to not happen. 

• Like 1

It would be a shame if we never get one more album of THE REAL GUNS N' ROSES, of those five guys. What they've done together is so unique and timeless, they may not be able to reach that level again but what's for sure is there's no chance they could do a bad album together. NEVER!

I'm hoping Izzy's recent silence is an indicator that something's going on behind the scenes. As much as I love what's happening right now, it would be a million times better with the five of them. Steven's presence made it clear, nothing comes close to the original line up.

1 hour ago, Mendez said:

For instance, this Velvet Revolver riff is Izzy's. He uses it on one of his songs

Izzy's song is awesome, and so is VR's. Love what Slash and Scott brought to the table.

• Like 1

They have definately proven that they don't need Izzy to sell out stadiums or put on fantastic shows. That being said, it is a miracle that those five guys, having put their bodies through absolute hell, are still alive and able to perform. They are all in their 50's now and that is also when shit starts to take you down- cancer, heart attacks, arthritis, hearing problems etc. It would be such a damn shame if something were to happen to one of them and they hadn't all been on stage together when they had the chance.  Especially if the problem was money. And that seems to be the case. 

I do wish we knew exactly what was keeping Izzy away. But my guess is that there is such a weird combination of money/business and personal/friendship issues that it would be near impossible to put out a fair, simple statement.  I feel both ways about  the money issue- my gut says it's Izzy give him whatever he wants but... Izzy sold his share of the business in 97 or so, right? It must have seemed like a good decision at the time- they weren't making much money and Izzy apparently never enjoyed the lawyers and lawsuits and shit that went with the business side of things. So does he get to come in 20 years later and take a victory lap with the rest of the partnership? Izzy is my favorite member and his contribution in the "classic" years is so vast. But he has been paid very well for that contribution. He was essentially able to retire at age 32 and live off that contribution (I love his solo stuff, but since The JuJu Hounds they are hobby albums that he is good enough to share with us- I doubt he makes any money off them). 

Anyway, i'm still betting he shows up at some point and the Izzy saga has been one of the most interesting things about this reunion. 

6 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I would like it if he were, but in what role exactly im not sure. I like Fortus, and therefore would like it if there was some way for Izzy, Slash, and Fortus to all be in the band at the same time. Idk how to make that work tho.

fortus can play the kazoo

6 hours ago, Archtop said:

I hope they hash things out, what I do feels is unfair is, why are we not being given some reasons to Izzys absence. It's  cast a bit of a shadow over the tour for me, I can't hep wondering if Izzy being slighted or not.

It is maddening for us fans for sure, although I believe the reason why the subject of Izzy is mum is because nothing is stone set. It wouldn't surprise me if no one in the band, (current lineup or past), knows exactly what will happen next. I kind of think they're playing it all by ear. 

GNR is not and has never been like Burger King. You can't have it your way. They do what they want regardless of what people think that they should do. That's been their mantra since the mid 80's

Izzy quit the band and left the partnership. He gave up his power to make decisions a long time ago. Doesnt mean that the others necessarily don't want to play with him, or couldn't come to terms for his involvement in the future, but by no means are they obligated to restore him as a full time member just because any % of the fan base is wondering where he is. 

Richard Fortus is the rhythm guitar player in Guns N Roses, and has been since 2001. It's his gig, and has done a fine ass job in that role. Anyone who says he can't play, I totally disregard anything they have to say about music/guitar. Coming from someone who has a degree in guitar, well you're just not well informed. 

As far as Slash and Duff, all we know is that they have rejoined the band. No one knows to what extent, or what partnership/legal entity the band is reformed under. It could be very simple, a complicated agreement where they've actually joined Axl's new entity, or even something that's brand new.

Nobody outside a handful of a people really know how it's set up and how the sausage is really made. It also doesn't matter one tiny bit how they are legally constructed and who makes what. Just know that they are being well compensated enough to devote their time to the project. 

Not every band is constructed as equal partnerships. In fact very few are. The pie is almost always split differently and there are tons of bands who pay out salary to members. GNR is no different and isn't really doing anything that's so drastic from the norm. 

Sit back and enjoy the shows. Everything else is irrelevant and out of your control. It could be all over tomorrow, and you missed out

• Like 1

1 hour ago, guitarpatch said:

GNR is not and has never been like Burger King. You can't have it your way. They do what they want regardless of what people think that they should do. That's been their mantra since the mid 80's

Izzy quit the band and left the partnership. He gave up his power to make decisions a long time ago. Doesnt mean that the others necessarily don't want to play with him, or couldn't come to terms for his involvement in the future, but by no means are they obligated to restore him as a full time member just because any % of the fan base is wondering where he is. 

Richard Fortus is the rhythm guitar player in Guns N Roses, and has been since 2001. It's his gig, and has done a fine ass job in that role. Anyone who says he can't play, I totally disregard anything they have to say about music/guitar. Coming from someone who has a degree in guitar, well you're just not well informed. 

As far as Slash and Duff, all we know is that they have rejoined the band. No one knows to what extent, or what partnership/legal entity the band is reformed under. It could be very simple, a complicated agreement where they've actually joined Axl's new entity, or even something that's brand new.

Nobody outside a handful of a people really know how it's set up and how the sausage is really made. It also doesn't matter one tiny bit how they are legally constructed and who makes what. Just know that they are being well compensated enough to devote their time to the project. 

Not every band is constructed as equal partnerships. In fact very few are. The pie is almost always split differently and there are tons of bands who pay out salary to members. GNR is no different and isn't really doing anything that's so drastic from the norm. 

Sit back and enjoy the shows. Everything else is irrelevant and out of your control. It could be all over tomorrow, and you missed out

Dislike 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, starlight said:

GNR would never have existed without Izzy. After 25 years out of the band it's time for him to come back. Axl, Duff and Slash are selling out stadiums by playing songs they wrote in their prime together with Izzy so they should give him credit for this.

Izzy has gotten plenty of credit. He makes $ every time a song is played. It's their band, not yours. They want Richard on guitar in 2016, not 1989. Time to accept it, move toward, or simply don't follow

24 minutes ago, Good, Fuck'n, Night. said:

Dislike 

You're more than free to dislike the truth. 

Edited by guitarpatch

What I don't get is why they just didn't get rid of Shitman's role along with Shitman himself.

This topic has been beaten to death, but even when I went to the Pittsburgh show live and in person, I can't hear a damn thing Melissa actually contributes aside from backing vocals even during the CD songs. What's the point? Couldn't Dizzy handle it by himself? Or couldn't they just use a simple backing track for the barely audible parts no one, and I mean no fuckin body, cares about? The money they're wasting on this useless broad who contributes nothing we can even hear could've and should've been used to sweeten the pot for Izzy (assuming he did actually bow out due to financial circumstances).

16 minutes ago, Bobbo said:

What I don't get is why they just didn't get rid of Shitman's role along with Shitman himself.

This topic has been beaten to death, but even when I went to the Pittsburgh show live and in person, I can't hear a damn thing Melissa actually contributes aside from backing vocals even during the CD songs. What's the point? Couldn't Dizzy handle it by himself? Or couldn't they just use a simple backing track for the barely audible parts no one, and I mean no fuckin body, cares about? The money they're wasting on this useless broad who contributes nothing we can even hear could've and should've been used to sweeten the pot for Izzy (assuming he did actually bow out due to financial circumstances).

It wouldn't be a post Appetite line-up of Guns without at least one useless member, would it. They - Axl - are not clever enough to realise the mere five of them creating magic is better than any 'expanded' version of the band.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, guitarpatch said:

Fortus is not, was not, and will never be IN Guns N' Roses.  He's a just a hired additional musician in Axl's band.  GNR ended somewhere around '96.  Axl started a new (solo) venture, with hired hands. This NITLT thing is just a continuation of that.  It has nothing to do with the real GNR.

This whole 'reunion' was fucked the day we learned Izzy was not in.  That's the day it became obvious the Axl solo years are just continuing, with different members.

They had ONE shot at this, and they blew it....

35 minutes ago, KURT19 said:

Question: Should Izzy Be In The Current Band?

Answer: FUCK YES.

Izzy is a fucking legend.  Who in their right mind DOESN'T include this guy in their band???

Maybe you should ask Izzy to join your band? 

35 minutes ago, Bobbo said:

Melissa actually plays a lot of guitar parts on keyboard to beef up the songs live. It's meant to be felt instead of heard and lies in the mix. Especially during a chorus to give dynamics. That's prob 80 percent of her role. Then all the samples, etc...Dizzy plays audible piano/keyboards that are meant to be upfront on top of it. 2 different roles... 

A ton of bands do this. A lot of them hide this person backstage to keep a guise that they sound bigger than they really are. They will even have an extra guitar player back there playing as well.  GNR puts them on stage and chooses not to hide anything. That's a good thing 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

A ton of bands do this. A lot of them hide this person backstage to keep a guise that they sound bigger than they really are. They will even have an extra guitar player back there playing as well.  GNR puts them on stage and chooses not to hide anything. That's a good thing 

What a load of bollocks. None of the truly great bands do this, and if you do require ''keyboards for guitars'' your band then must be a sack of shite. 

• Like 2

Hell yeah Izzy should be there, its his hand, he composed many songs.

So what he left? the band was over in 1996. 

Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven. Just these 5 guys with Max. Dizzy on the illusion songs. Thats it. 

If Axl and Slash can get together after so many years, then why not Izzy and Steven? 

But it just comes down to one thing for the 3 of them. MONEY.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

Fortus is not, was not, and will never be IN Guns N' Roses.  He's a just a hired additional musician in Axl's band.  GNR ended somewhere around '96.  Axl started a new (solo) venture, with hired hands. This NITLT thing is just a continuation of that.  It has nothing to do with the real GNR.

This whole 'reunion' was fucked the day we learned Izzy was not in.  That's the day it became obvious the Axl solo years are just continuing, with different members.

They had ONE shot at this, and they blew it....

You don't get to decide what is and what's not GNR. If they say Fortus is a member, then that's the truth. Nothing you claim can change that fact. So spare the mental gymnastics

However you are more than free to not support the band. 

Edited by guitarpatch

10 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

Melissa actually plays a lot of guitar parts on keyboard to beef up the songs live. It's meant to be felt instead of heard and lies in the mix. Especially during a chorus to give dynamics. That's prob 80 percent of her role. Then all the samples, etc...Dizzy plays audible piano/keyboards that are meant to be upfront on top of it. 2 different roles... 

Bullshit.  AFD5 didn't have a smurf on- or off-stage, in fact they didn't even have Dizzy, and I can guaran-fucking-tee you that EVERY SINGLE person in the crowd FELT what they were playing !

• Like 2