Should Izzy be in the current band?

54 minutes ago, bacardimayne said:

Of course he should. The complete exclusion of a founding member and songwriter on what is clearly a petty money issue is an absolute joke.

Even in the 2011-2014 dark ages GNR never did something so pathetic.

It's not "clearly" a money issue.   It seems to be a money issue, but may not be. Could be Izzy had no interest or no interest in being involved the way they wanted him to.  

8 minutes ago, GNRDK said:

It's most definitely a money issue and let's be honest, Izzy deserves just as much as Duff, Slash and Axl. I don't care how much the mainstream public thinks who Guns N Roses is, but it's a fact that Izzy should have just as much because he is - and have contributed so much - to Guns N' Roses.

How do you know it's clearly a money issue....you don't.

Maybe he was offered a quarter....if you are willing to do this, and this  and this....and said no thanks, I don't want to commit to that or deal with all that.

You just don't know.  Neither do I or probably anyone on this board.  

Based on the interview from the another night, I got the impression that maybe Izzy was offered the chance to come out for some guest spots, but just never took the bait.

Axl said something along the lines of one day, it's one way and the next day, it can turn into something else. He could be just speaking in terms of how Izzy is in general, but idk...:wacko:

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

I feel like Axl's management finally gave him the green light on the reunion and thought it was time. They saw so much $$$$ that  they suddenly warmed up to the idea and helped Axl decide it was time. Duff was for all intents and purposes already there so they just needed Slash to sign the deal with Coachella. Everything was an after thought. Izzy and Steven were after thoughts. They didn't reach out to them until the April shows were already booked which was a slap in the face and a little too late. If this was the case then Slash and Duff are just as much to blame. Izzy is their brother, has worked and remained friendly with all of them. He deserved this just as much as any of them. If they came at him with some half assed offer after the fact, it really isn't right. "We are sorry dude, but you can join us as a guest musician" Maybe he just has too much integrity.. 

All speculation but certainly feasible. 

Slash was a bit of a wanker to Izzy in an interview or two 1992 - 1993. I'm surprised at McKagan mind. 

5 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I feel like Axl's management finally gave him the green light on the reunion and thought it was time. They saw so much $$$$ that  they suddenly warmed up to the idea and helped Axl decide it was time. Duff was for all intents and purposes already there so they just needed Slash to sign the deal with Coachella. Everything was an after thought. Izzy and Steven were after thoughts. They didn't reach out to them until the April shows were already booked which was a slap in the face and a little too late. If this was the case then Slash and Duff are just as much to blame. Izzy is their brother, has worked and remained friendly with all of them. He deserved this just as much as any of them. If they came at him with some half assed offer after the fact, it really isn't right. "We are sorry dude, but you can join us as a guest musician" Maybe he just has too much integrity.. 

This seems to be the case.

Axl, Duff and Slash with their respective "Management" were deciding what they could do and what would be the best money wise for them. I guess they contacted Izzy and Steven sometime in late November/December.

With Steven they would have cut a deal to share duties with Frank and he would get paid per song and if he opens his mouth then its over for him. But he hurt his back and had a surgery so Frank played all the songs, I guess thats why Fernando thanked Frank for being there. 

With Izzy they would have said the same thing that he gets a fixed amount per show like a hired hand and nothing from the merch sales etc etc and I assume Izzy disagreed with them, they tried to reason with him, but it din't work out. Then the Izzy twitter saga began and he was obviously taking jabs at the band. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Izzy & Steven were only after thoughts because their positions in the band were already filled at that point by Frank and Richard. I guess Steven was the only one willing to come in as a guest player, sharing the responsibility with Frank for a few shows. And maybe Izzy wasn't up for that unless he had a bigger piece of the pie. Like u said, too much integrity. I can understand that.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kara said:

Izzy & Steven were only after thoughts because their positions in the band were already filled at that point by Frank and Richard. I guess Steven was the only one willing to come in as a guest player, sharing the responsibility with Frank for a few shows. And maybe Izzy wasn't up for that unless he had a bigger piece of the pie. Like u said, too much integrity. I can understand that.

Someone close to the band said that had always been interested in a reunion if it actually happened. Duff and Slash always said that if was going to happen it would have to be with the original band. Izzy's remained friends with all of them. Has played and or worked with all of them over the years. I think he has every right to feel insulted, left out or even betrayed if that is how it all went down. 

• Like 1

Did izzy post a tweet to Axl which was somewhere along the lines of you owe me dude, or whatever it was. If he did It got deleted pretty quickly. Really can't remeber if this was real or just a made up comment, perhaps someone here can remind me what was said.

I know only Axl, Duff and slash get a cut of the merchandise, but I think all AFD5 should Each get a % on any of the Appertite cross merch:Pjust saying!

• Like 1

Until Izzy comes out and says what the fuck happened, Its all he said, she said nonsense.

If you let people speak on your behalf long enough, People will believe any BS that someone spouts to cover their asses. 

It could be the money was shit. It could be the role that was offered wasnt to his liking. It could be he's simply being Izzy and doesnt want to be dictated to, and wants to live his life by his terms and have no commitments. The way he's lived his life the past 25 years would lean towards the latter being true. Dude hasnt toured an album in like 2 decades. He was in VR at the beginning, and slipped out once it was decided that a proper lead singer was needed. only time we've seen Izzy on a stage the past 20 years is for quick little guest spots either with GNR, with Adler's Appetite, or with VR. 

Yeah, Marc said that Izzy wanted a reunion a decade ago. but hearts and intentions can change within that time. And Unless he's fully committed to the machine that is GNR and contribute equally just as the rest of the band members do. Then there really isnt a reason to let him into a partnership that he hasnt been a part of. Everyone has to pull their own weight under those circumstances, otherwise people get resentful. Just like what happened during the 90's (not wanting to record guitar tracks past a scratch track. Not wanting to be part of videos. not doing promos/interviews) 

8 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Someone close to the band said that had always been interested in a reunion if it actually happened. Duff and Slash always said that if was going to happen it would have to be with the original band. Izzy's remained friends with all of them. Has played and or worked with all of them over the years. I think he has every right to feel insulted, left out or even betrayed if that is how it all went down. 

And that very well may be how he feels, but then again, who knows?! I'm always confused about how Izzy really feels about the current state of things. It was him who removed himself from the band back in the day long before Slash or Duff, and I've listened to various interviews where both Axl and Slash said that didn't like the way he went about leaving. Then, after he'd left the band and Gilby replaced him, he came out to fill in for Gilby on a few UYI tour dates, and supposedly went really well until it turned into some kind of blackmail thing on Izzy's part, and that only created more bad blood. Of course, all of that is water under the bridge and he's obviously worked with Axl, Slash & Duff in one way or another since then. But my point that Izzy has his own weird ways and it makes sense to me that he's the only original member that didn't come out to play for the tour. That could still change and maybe he'll still play with them in the future. 

Regarding the Izzy issue, I'm not really sure of how truthful this is but I read it in a spanish message board. Some user claimed to have a contact backstage in NY that apparently talked to a journalist that had supposedly spoken with Adler's assistant on previous days.  Such journalist said that it was confirmed that Izzy was the one who put the "Appetite five" reunion on the table, that he wanted to make new music and tour with it,  and that Axl said "no" and Slash and Duff said "whatever Axl says". As I said, I don't know if there's any truth to it since I just happened to read this in another forum and I don't even know the guy personally. By the way I don't know if I can post the link to this info here, I've been here for just one day and I don't want to be kicked off so fast for breaking the rules! :lol:

2 hours ago, Slash787 said:

This seems to be the case.

Axl, Duff and Slash with their respective "Management" were deciding what they could do and what would be the best money wise for them. I guess they contacted Izzy and Steven sometime in late November/December.

With Steven they would have cut a deal to share duties with Frank and he would get paid per song and if he opens his mouth then its over for him. But he hurt his back and had a surgery so Frank played all the songs, I guess thats why Fernando thanked Frank for being there. 

With Izzy they would have said the same thing that he gets a fixed amount per show like a hired hand and nothing from the merch sales etc etc and I assume Izzy disagreed with them, they tried to reason with him, but it din't work out. Then the Izzy twitter saga began and he was obviously taking jabs at the band. 

Yeah, the Twitter thing is so out of character for Izzy that it must have been because he was upset with the band. 

1 hour ago, Jane M. said:

Izzy blackmailing Axl/GNR back in the UYI days, that's definitely a new one. 

:facepalm:

@Darkenchantress pm me that link, I wanna read.

:popcorn:

Yea I don't know how true it is, but I'm only going by what Axl & Slash said in their '94 Rockline interview...

Edited by Kara

3 hours ago, Kara said:

Yea I don't know how true it is, but I'm only going by what Axl & Slash said in their '94 Rockline interview...

I think Izzy also mentioned it in one of his interviews. His manager (Niven) said they owed him money and this was the way to get the money.

• Like 1

I base this on various interviews and books over the years...

Izzy quit the band on his own accord. Nobody threw him out. He wanted to get sober and had been distancing himself from the band before he quit. He quit because he decided his own sobriety and happiness was more important to him than being part of the "biggest band in the world". That's not a criticism, good for him for putting his own well being ahead of the fame and money. But since then he's seemed content to be out of the public eye, make and play his music as his leisure and maybe write or guest with someone if he felt like it. He hung around with Velvet Revolver in the early stages but the fact he wanted him and Duff to cover vocals rather than get a known lead singer shows that he wasn't interested in being in a band as big/active as even VR was shooting for. He doesn't seem to like commitments, apparently wanted a huge sum of money to make just guest spots with Axl's GNR, and it just seems like a year or two of highly promoted stadium tours seems completely opposite of what he's happy doing. My guess would be he didn't want to commit to the whole deal and/or wanted too much money to be change his mind. 

• Like 1