Izzy Stradlin comments on reunion

Just now, vloors said:

And was this just for a couple of songs or entire show. Because 10k a show is fine if his just doing 2 songs.

No idea mate! You'd hope it would be only a couple of songs that would be fair

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Why?

Izzy founded Guns N' Roses. Slash and Duff didn't.

Izzy wrote far more than Duff McKagan

Izzy wrote more than Slash also.

And do not mention the Izzy quitting thing as Axl quit Guns in 1995, creating a new band (which Slash and Duff subsequently quit), i.e. they all quit Guns at some point between 1991 - 1997.

Man, I know...if it were up to me it would be Rose, Adler, Stradlin, Slash and Mckagan and split 5 ways but that's a romantic notion and pretty naive.

2 hours ago, Asia said:

If Izzy is the most important songwriter of the band, give me one notable hard rock song that he has ever released outside of Guns. Guns on the other hand have written plenty great songs without him, Slash has at least a few on his own, so does Axl. The Izzy being most crucial to GNR sound is such bullshit, I still can't believe I'm reading this king of shit all of the time.

from his second album: ain't it a bitch, freight train, 117°, parasite. from his third album: ride on, primitive man, California.

Izzy's riffs are so bad ass even Slash was intimidated by them, and had to keep up to match their coolness.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Don't forget that the best song by a million miles Slash has done post Illusion has been ''Ghosts''. It took Ian Astbury's singing/lyrics and Stradlin's punky rhythm playing to get rid of the cheesiness which tends to surround Slash's non-GN'R work.

One thing is true. If Messrs. Axl Slash and Duff ever decide to do an album, they are fucked. You can argue about Izzy's stage presence all you want but you cannot deny the songwriting he brought to those GN'R albums.

Was going to bring up that GHOST is probably the best thing any of them have done since the UYI albums.

Agree on the Slash thing too.

We always butt heads on this, but I don't think Izzy by himself really sets the world on fire either...I prefer his solo stuff to all the other guys (except Axl, but he took years and a bunch of top players to do one album) but it sounds so half assed.

17 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Why?

Izzy founded Guns N' Roses. Slash and Duff didn't.

Izzy wrote far more than Duff McKagan

Izzy wrote more than Slash also.

And do not mention the Izzy quitting thing as Axl quit Guns in 1995, creating a new band (which Slash and Duff subsequently quit), i.e. they all quit Guns at some point between 1991 - 1997.

They all might be legitimate reasons for having Izzy in GNR far more then Fortus, but Izzy just doesn't add much to GNR legacy today. That's why he wasn't offered more.

Izzy in GNR matters to some of the HC fans, not even all of them. I love Izzy, but I'm cool with Fortus.

All this years, everything around GNR reunion was about Slash, and Axl, getting them together. Then Duff, who is a sort of a GNR's good spirit. Izzy was not so much a GNR reunion object. Also, Slash and Duff had better carriers out of GNR then Izzy.

About Izzy's songwriting... I think it is slightly overrated. He is a good songwriter, but GNR songs that are credit as Stradlin's only are:

You ain't the first,  Double talkin jive, Pretty tied up, Think about you, Used to love her

And we can compare his songwriting to other memebers when (and if) GNR with Slash and Duff release a new album.

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Don't forget that the best song by a million miles Slash has done post Illusion has been ''Ghosts''. It took Ian Astbury's singing/lyrics and Stradlin's punky rhythm playing to get rid of the cheesiness which tends to surround Slash's non-GN'R work.

One thing is true. If Messrs. Axl Slash and Duff ever decide to do an album, they are fucked. You can argue about Izzy's stage presence all you want but you cannot deny the songwriting he brought to those GN'R albums.

that's so true man

it figures that, being a guitar player myself, whenever I look for cool riffs to play (and being someone with increasingly decreasing patience, they better be worth the time), somehow they always end up being Izzy riffs. that ghost rhythm track is so damn sleezy, it makes me want to play it all day long. he manages to put these "hot spaces" in his riffs (for the meaning of the term hot space, try to look up Freddie mercury's interpretation on it, explaining the album title of the same name), sometimes 'holding' a chord slightly longer than expected, it's the way he "attacks" the guitar that is the definition of cool.

three simple power chords is all Izzy needs to create a monster of a song. right next door to hell: brilliant riff. reckless life: same. nice boys, out ta get me, ... probably my all time favorite guitar riffs.

Edited by action

16 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Ghost is better than anything Izzy's done since imo, funny that. How to be a man and Punker hold my interest more than most of Izzy's stuff too. Something just happens when the members write together, they probably just slapped those two songs together in a day too.

Edited by Silverburst80

1 minute ago, MisterNo said:

They all might be legitimate reasons for having Izzy in GNR far more then Fortus, but Izzy just doesn't add much to GNR legacy today. That's why he wasn't offered more.

Izzy in GNR matters to some of the HC fans, not even all of them. I love Izzy, but I'm cool with Fortus.

All this years, everything around GNR reunion was about Slash, and Axl, getting them together. Then Duff, who is a sort of a GNR's good spirit. Izzy was not so much a GNR reunion object. Also, Slash and Duff had better carriers out of GNR then Izzy.

About Izzy's songwriting... I think it is slightly overrated. He is a good songwriter, but GNR songs that are credit as Stradlin's only are:

You ain't the first,  Double talkin jive, Pretty tied up, Think about you, Used to love her

And we can compare his songwriting to other memebers when (and if) GNR with Slash and Duff release a new album.

'Patience' also. 'Perfect Crime' was also announced (by Axl) at a concert during the club days as an 'Izzy song' so I do not know why Rose and Slash were subsequently credited. ''Bad Obsession'' was also written by Izzy and West Arkeen. And let's look at the collaborative songs,

''Reckless Life''

''Mr Brownstone'' (with Slash)

''Nightrain''

''My Michelle''

''Sweet Child''

''Don't Cry''

''14 Years''

''Dust N' Bones''

''Right Next Door to Hell''

''Bad Apples''

''You Could Be Mine''.

I think he made contributions to ''Paradise City'', ''Anything Goes'' and ''You're Crazy'' also - possibly ''Out Ta Get Me'' and ''Rocket Queen''.

First I am generally a izzy supporter. More so for him doing what he wants. And that's what he did here. He CHOSE not to take the offer(which in most people's reality is still a shit ton of money) His decision.

i understand him feeling that he is an integral part of the band but

1-he doesn't like stadium touring and there's no way he's playing 2.5-3 hour shows period. 

2-You can't pay him equally for playing on 5-6 songs a night.

3-there's a risk of izzy not being reliable on a full tour like that.

Many reasons why I understand GNR camps decision. I am praying though that they can figure something out before they decide if they are recording/writing for real bc THAT is where izzy earns his paychecks.

• Like 2

Yeah, i know, most of the songs collaborative effort, so Izzy can't take credit solely for them. it's hard to say who has better contrtibutions on those songs.

Funny thing, as Izzy is very praised here:

Top 3 songs from GNR albums, voted by MYGNR forum members this summer:

AFD

1. Welcome To The Jungle : Rose, Slash

2. Rocket Queen : Rose, Slash, McKagan

3. Nightrain: Rose, Stradlin, McKagan, Slash

Lies

1. One In A Million: Rose

2. Patience: Stradlin, Rose

3. You're Crazy: Stradlin, Rose, Slash

UYI 1

1. Coma: Rose, Slash

2. November Rain: Rose

3. Don't Cry: Rose, Stradlin

UYI 2

1. Estranged: Rose

2. Civil War: Rose, Slash, McKagan

3. You Could Be Mine: Rose, Stradlin

Not many of them include Izzy.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, gunsguy said:

If Axl gets 50 and the other 2 get 25 each that is 100% of profit, of what profit?  What do the others get then?

Profit after all the salaries are paid. The others are paid salaries, then Axl, Duff and Slash share the rest. But as far as I know no one really knows whether its 1/3 for each of them or whether Axl is getting more. I remember someone involved saying Duff got off really well, I'm interpreting it that the 3 are probably sharing the profits equally.

For those of you struggling to understand Axl/Slash/Duff's reasons, I have gone to the trouble of fashioning this rather lovely pie chart, which should clear up any confusion:

14222115_630556523788223_371485165609202

Now, you can clearly see in the second pie chart, that Axl/Slash/Duff receive only 25% of the profits from the tour, whereas in the first chart they get 33.3% each.

It's basic math people.

10 minutes ago, MisterNo said:

Yeah, i know, most of the songs collaborative effort, so Izzy can't take credit solely for them. it's hard to say who has better contrtibutions on those songs.

Funny thing, as Izzy is very praised here:

Top 3 songs from GNR albums, voted by MYGNR forum members this summer:

AFD

1. Welcome To The Jungle : Rose, Slash

2. Rocket Queen : Rose, Slash, McKagan

3. Nightrain: Rose, Stradlin, McKagan, Slash

Lies

1. One In A Million: Rose

2. Patience: Stradlin, Rose

3. You're Crazy: Stradlin, Rose, Slash

UYI 1

1. Coma: Rose, Slash

2. November Rain: Rose

3. Don't Cry: Rose, Stradlin

UYI 2

1. Estranged: Rose

2. Civil War: Rose, Slash, McKagan

3. You Could Be Mine: Rose, Stradlin

Not many of them include Izzy.

''Patience'' is more Stradlin - Rose's input is minimal

This is a very pro-Rosey forum I've always thought - especially with the reunion - but of the twelve songs listed, five of them are Stradlin, hardly 'not many' as you describe.  It does not really prove your point considering there were four songwriters in the 1985 - 1991 band. Or to put it another way, 25% (Izzy) of the songwriters is contributing to 41.6% of the songs.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, action said:

from his second album: ain't it a bitch, freight train, 117°, parasite. from his third album: ride on, primitive man, California.

Izzy's riffs are so bad ass even Slash was intimidated by them, and had to keep up to match their coolness.

I listen to Highway Zero very regular. It's my favourite Izzy song. I don't know what I think about this, it's hard to choose a side(if we even should) On one hand even Marc Cantor says Izzy is unreliable. It also doesn't seem like something Duff would do, in fact wasn't he just recently working with Izzy? Could be an interesting few days. 

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

''Patience'' is more Stradlin - Rose's input is minimal

This is a very pro-Rosey forum I've always thought - especially with the reunion - but of the twelve songs listed, five of them are Stradlin which does not really prove your point considering there were four songwriters in the 1985 - 1991 band. Or to put it another way, 25% (Izzy) of the songwriters is contributing to 41.6% of the twelve songs.

25% of 41%, that's not much :P

Not trying to be pro anybody here, I was just posting this as a fun fact.

Songwriting has nothing to do with NITL tour. If the tour was collabroate idea of Axl, Slash and Duff, and they offered Izzy to be a part of it, why would Izzy share profit? The tour was not his product.

A new album, that would be something else.

Edited by MisterNo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slosh13 said:

Yep. Most people haven't a clue how the entertainment industry operates. 

Izzy has pulled a party trick here: by airing the business side of things in public he has made the other three look like assholes and got the fans on his side to leverage a better deal - because it's nothing personal, it's business. I also think he feels left out that no one is talking about him which is why he opened his Twitter account.

Spot on.