06/07/17 - Zurich, CH - Letzigrund Stadium

alfierose

27 minutes ago, Blake Sabbath said:

From whom exactly?

Yeah, same question, I translated a couple of articles in german and nothing bad about them outside the fact that they don't seem to know much about Gn'R. 

Reviews, schmeviews... I've read so many bad reviews from good shows I've been to. And usually they're written by some snobby music reporter who just poorly disses the band.

Did the audience enjoy it? That's all that matters. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

The ones God of Thunder posted before.

Lokal paper of Zürich

There was nothing pointed out by @God of Thunder's review that made me think, "that's bad", on the contrary it came across as fair and honest in it's praise and considering that's their 3rd time seeing them on this tour... 

As for the local paper, well what did they have to say that was so bad exactly?

In all honesty I've never seen or read 1 bad (honest) review since the Big 3 reformed from the Troubadour onwards. 

If I've read something bad it's always been from a sensationalist, ill informed and ignorant angle.

I challenge you to produce evidence otherwise!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Blake Sabbath said:

There was nothing pointed out by @God of Thunder's review that made me think, "that's bad", on the contrary it came across as fair and honest in it's praise and considering that's their 3rd time seeing them on this tour... 

As for the local paper, well what did they have to say that was so bad exactly?

In all honesty I've never seen or read 1 bad (honest) review since the Big 3 reformed from the Troubadour onwards. 

If I've read something bad it's always been from a sensationalist, ill informed and ignorant angle.

I challenge you to produce evidence otherwise!

Well, in one review there's something written like playing the songs is more of a compulsory task for the band than a pleasure. Something like they don't feel the music they have written 30 years ago while living on the streets. 

Honest or not, it's not something I consider to be positive. I don't doubt the reviewer has expressed his honest feelings and he might be even right. That's not my point.

And I don't know if you can call it a "bad" review, but it's definitely not a nice one. At least this part of it.

Slash botched the first notes of The Godfather :lol:

Don't wanna be polemical here but...when DJ fucked up, everyone complained. Slash regularly fucks up two or three times every gig and nobody says anything :smiley-confused2:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Torb said:

Slash botched the first notes of The Godfather :lol:

Don't wanna be polemical here but...when DJ fucked up, everyone complained. Slash regularly fucks up two or three times every gig and nobody says anything :smiley-confused2:

When you're a rock god, you're allowed to fuck up. But if you've joined a band whose name is already legendary/famous/iconic - and you've had nothing to do with earning that status   - people are much more critical towards you. I'm not saying it's fair, but it happens. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

When you're a rock god, you're allowed to fuck up. But if you've joined a band whose name is already legendary/famous/iconic - and you've had nothing to do with earning that status   - people are much more critical towards you. I'm not saying it's fair, but it happens. 

It doesn't work like that. Especially if you're a legend, you're supposed to improve and try to give the 100% always. I know that Slash is human after all, but every music fan should be critical towards everyone. There's a thin line between fans and fanboys, I always try to not cross that :) 
(I'm not judging you, just to be clear, just expressing my opinion ;) )

13 minutes ago, Torb said:

It doesn't work like that. Especially if you're a legend, you're supposed to improve and try to give the 100% always. I know that Slash is human after all, but every music fan should be critical towards everyone. There's a thin line between fans and fanboys, I always try to not cross that :) 

You might have misunderstood me... the post was from general point of view, not mine: people are much more forgiving towards Slash because of he is Slash. And much less forgiving towards DJ because he was (pretty) unknown  guitarist (although a talented one) who replaced the beloved rock god in GN'R.  

Edited by Fourteenbeers
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Torb said:

You can't compare Slash botching up a few notes to that abomination of a Patience solo by Ashba.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

You might have misunderstood me... the post was from general point of view, not mine: people are much more forgiving towards Slash because of he is Slash. And much less forgiving towards DJ because he was (pretty) unknown  guitarist (although a talented one) who replaced the beloved rock god in GN'R.  

DEFINITELY misunderstood. 

2 minutes ago, Lio said:

You can't compare Slash botching up a few notes to that abomination of a Patience solo by Ashba.

The errors are pretty much the same: out of scale, bending out of tune...and I'm not even talking about the mess he does playing the TIL solo, where he skips the chords changes and misses the right tempo.
Point is: coherence. We agree that these mistakes don't ruin a show or a guitarist reputation (that would be ridiculous), but people must be objective if there are critics to be made.

6 minutes ago, Torb said:

The errors are pretty much the same: out of scale, bending out of tune...and I'm not even talking about the mess he does playing the TIL solo, where he skips the chords changes and misses the right tempo.
Point is: coherence. We agree that these mistakes don't ruin a show or a guitarist reputation (that would be ridiculous), but people must be objective if there are critics to be made.

I'm obviously not a guitarist myself and I usually don't hear small mistakes made, so I wasn't one of those complaining about every note DJ missed. But come on... I really don't want to do this, but maybe you should rewatch this clip and compare with what we have today. That solo is god awful and he makes it worse by pretending he's the world's greatest guitarist.

Ugh, I'm so glad to have Slash back.

• Like 1

They need to dump Black Hole Sun. I mean, tribute is done, and it was very nice, but there is no need to bring this song any longer. If they want to play cover-songs, they should pick Nice Boys back. Maybe Axl could sing it decently and of course it´s a kickass-song.

• Like 3