GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

3 hours ago, killuridols said:

I don't think he actually believes that... it was more like a joke and falsa modestia :shrugs:

3 hours ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

Really, I dind't feel that way...same as the interviews with AC/DC...but is my perception.

I think in Axl it`s 100% genuine. When I compare him to Mick Jagger live, Mick was totally assured in his star position, he was clear and sharp and cool like dagger. Axl was humble, warm bunch and heart on his sleeve, he was genuinely happy that we were having a good time as he watched us from his stage hiding a bit back on the stage opposite to my spot. He was having a good time in Prague, it was palpable. In this intensity I saw it only in few other frontmen. Nearest is my local fav and Steven Tyler. I take Axl as bunch of insecurities, he got rid of many of them and now he`s light-hearted, but still, I think he is a bit surprised that so many people come to see him and and react so good on what he is trying to give them. His insecurities also make him outstanding performer, because they make him more sensitive to audience feedback. Does he even get the concept he is lovable?

Edited by Alja
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Alja said:

I think in Axl it`s 100% genuine. When I compare him with Mick Jagger live, Mick was totally assured in his star position, he was clear and sharp and cool like dagger. Axl was humble, warm bunch and heart on his sleeve, he was genuinely happy that we were having a good time as he watched us from his stage hiding a bit back on the stage opposite to my spot. He was having a good time in Prague, it was palpable. In this intensity I saw it only in few other frontmen. Nearest is my local fav and Steven Tyler. I take Axl as bunch of insecurities, he got rid of many of them and now he`s light-hearted, but still, I think he is a bit surprised that so many people come to see him and and react so good on what he is trying to give them. His insecurities also make him outstanding performer, because they make him more sensitive to audience feedback. Does he even get the concept he is lovable?

Out of likes but couldn't agree more 👏 hes definiatly a humble guy i think he doesnt do a lot of interviews because he may think the media will twist his words or be negative and i dont think he can handle that which then makes him insecure but i wish he would do more i love them. He always has interesting things to say ❤ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Wheredowegomeow said:

Luckily I am working from home at the moment...which meant I finally had some time to listen to the CD vinyl I bought the other day!!:awesomeface:

I have never listened to it all the way through or to every song before, I only know what I heard at the London show I went to. Much to my own surprise...I didnt hate it!!! I also have to be honest and say I didn't absolutely love it either, I feel very in the middle. Its just a bit different to their other stuff, and I guess its just something I need to get used to. Favourite songs were There was a time, and This I love. Street of Dreams was my least favourite, I had to really persevere with the song and force myself to listen to it because I really didnt like the sound of Axl's voice at the beginning.

This is great!  Glad it wasn't a totally horrific listening experience for you.  It really does depend on personal taste.  Also, it's a grower, I find.  It's not immediately hooky or catchy because the song writing structures aren't that simple and the general tone/mood of CD isn't rock out - it's more reflective and on the brooding side.

You (and others) might be interested to hear @RussTCB personal version of TWAT.  It is AWESOME.  :headbang:

He has taken out quite a bit of the stuff most of you don't like, turned up Tommy's bass (which sounds AMAZING) and some other things buried in the mix on the album version to make a punchier, tighter version.  In particular, there's this very...unusual Axl vocal right at the very end.  Never heard him sing like that before.  I played it through my sound system and at first I thought it was a child's voice. 

Tommy's doing some fucking fine bass work on this song that I have never had the pleasure of hearing before thanks to him being so low in the mix (my only real complaint about CD).

I still miss the stupendous album intro and outro and some glorious strings in the middle, but Russ has done a stellar job on this.  Worth a listen.

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Wheredowegomeow

Re: Street of Dreams.  That one takes time to get to know.  The first verse is not great.  It's a bit cheesy (lovely intro though) and Axl's vocals are not great either.  But once the build up to the chorus kicks in - it's like a different song, incredibly heartfelt and melodious - beautiful strings.  Lyrically it's gorgeous.  That's not stardust on my feet, it leaves a taste that's bittersweet, that's called the blues.  No Axl, that's called Slash. ;)  The Blues is a metaphor for Slash - my interpretation.  Also why I believe he changed the title.  

My favourite part: 3:51 directly after the quiet moment when ALL the instruments and vocal explode together - such a moment.  Most of all, I like that it's not full of the pain and bitterness and agony of some of the others songs like Sorry.  You can tell that he still loves 'whoever he's singing about' (lol) and is simply resigned to way things played out even though he'd hope for a better outcome.  And a bit cheeky, a bit smug in the end: What'd I tell ya... wagging a figurative finger. LOL

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alja said:

I think in Axl it`s 100% genuine. When I compare him with Mick Jagger live, Mick was totally assured in his star position, he was clear and sharp and cool like dagger. Axl was humble, warm bunch and heart on his sleeve, he was genuinely happy that we were having a good time as he watched us from his stage hiding a bit back on the stage opposite to my spot. He was having a good time in Prague, it was palpable. In this intensity I saw it only in few other frontmen. Nearest is my local fav and Steven Tyler. I take Axl as bunch of insecurities, he got rid of many of them and now he`s light-hearted, but still, I think he is a bit surprised that so many people come to see him and and react so good on what he is trying to give them. His insecurities also make him outstanding performer, because they make him more sensitive to audience feedback. Does he even get the concept he is lovable?

Couldn’t agree more. I just love him to pieces, sorry 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Andy14 said:

Thank you :hug:. I'm gonna do that till I'm banned from the shows. :bitchfight:

I'm planning to do more, IG and Twitter. And I may create social media how I imagine them using it now to make the comparison. I know they all use some kind of social media but I think I may fix it a little. :ph34r:

I already predict Slaxl interactions. I'd like to see some Duff/Izzy thrown in as well (Just for fun, we all know Duff and Izzy are both straight). :smiley-confused2:

omg I love it already Andy, and i've only read the banner! :lol:

Worked at: smoking cigarettes for a study. :rofl-lol:

In open complicated relationships LOOOOOOL  where do you come up with these ideas???  Brilliant.

the 140 character twitter rant - and Izzy's response!!!! GOLD!

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle

20 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

I've made FB for all of them. Here's a link to Axl's one, I managed to find it because I remember when I posted it. 

You should do a what if they were in a WhatsApp group? LOL #JustSaying :smiley-confused2: 

Edited by Gabrielaerojas

On January 1, 2018 at 5:15 PM, Wheredowegomeow said:

I’m watching the episode of my favourite riff with Nikki Sixx with Slash in it, worth a watch if you haven’t already seen it. It’s really interesting hearing Slash talking about music he likes and is inspired by, he’s such a passionate musician. Also he’s looking daaamn fiiiiine in it  :slash::drool:

Happiness really is a magnet. I agree with you that Slash looks Hot, almost like 10 years younger Hot, healthier Hot. When the tour started he did look older, weighty-er,  meaning more on his shoulders weight. Maybe with his relationship with Meegan, letting go of Perla, along with letting all that deep animosity from decades ago with Axl has him lightened up, it has changed his whole vibe.

Let that be a lesson to us all.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Gabrielaerojas said:

Oh! I admire you for reading that book. I can’t bring myself to read that. Same that I can’t read Adler’s book. Those stories really get to me. All that has to do with addiction, especially heroin addiction, I can’t. I’d cry just reading the first page. Makes me extremely sad and depressed. To read first hand stories is very intense.

I understand. I've read Duff & Slash's great books, along with a couple of behind the scene books on GnR. 

But, Adler's book...well...he's a good writer, when I was finished his book, I felt I needed a hot shower just to clean all those stories off me.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Mararoyce said:

I understand. I've read Duff & Slash's great books, along with a couple of behind the scene books on GnR. 

But, Adler's book...well...he's a good writer, when I was finished his book, I felt I needed a hot shower just to clean all those stories off me.

I thought Steven's book was the worst and he shafted his original writer (according to him)

3 hours ago, Andy14 said:

I've made FB for all of them. Here's a link to Axl's one, I managed to find it because I remember when I posted it. 

Thanks, I missed this one somehow! Fabulously entertaining, as always.  

And kudos to our missing chairman @Frey for the index.  I miss that guy.  

I don't think Axl ever hanged out with Nikki Sixx, not even in 1987 when they toured together, while Slash and Duff did (with Tommy Lee too) and have been in touch in the last few years. So I don't think he would go and chit-chat with him, even if he did this kind of thing. Maybe if someone Axl knows better and feels comfortable with, Baz mainly, does a radio show, he will go.

59 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't think Axl ever hanged out with Nikki Sixx, not even in 1987 when they toured together, while Slash and Duff did (with Tommy Lee too) and have been in touch in the last few years. So I don't think he would go and chit-chat with him, even if he did this kind of thing. Maybe if someone Axl knows better and feels comfortable with, Baz mainly, does a radio show, he will go.

But do you really need to know someone from before in order to have a cordial chat, conversation, exchange? :question:

Come on.....

I'm sorry, this is not personally aimed at you, but there is this general vibe here of constantly excusing Axl for his odd behavior and seriously, there is nothing to justify him other than maybe saying "well, he just doesn't want to do it".

So yeah, we all know he doesn't want to, but it doesn't mean that it is good and benefitial for him.... I mean, not that I'm thinking this would cause a major impact in his life and he has to force himself into doing it, but really.... I don't see why someone would have to act exactly the same way they did 20 years ago.

Even if people like Nikki Sixx are not Axl's type, he doesn't always have to hang out with his type or refrain from having a conversation with someone different.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, killuridols said:

But do you really need to know someone from before in order to have a cordial chat, conversation, exchange? :question:

Come on.....

I'm sorry, this is not personally aimed at you, but there is this general vibe here of constantly excusing Axl for his odd behavior and seriously, there is nothing to justify him other than maybe saying "well, he just doesn't want to do it".

So yeah, we all know he doesn't want to, but it doesn't mean that it is good and benefitial for him.... I mean, not that I'm thinking this would cause a major impact in his life and he has to force himself into doing it, but really.... I don't see why someone would have to act exactly the same way they did 20 years ago.

Even if people like Nikki Sixx are not Axl's type, he doesn't always have to hang out with his type or refrain from having a conversation with someone different.

I said this because the discussion was specifically about hanging out with other musicians and doing radio/podcast chatting with them, not doing interviews in general (which he doesn't). Slash and Duff had done this kind of thing only with musicians who are their friends, not with someone they haven't much to do with.

And I don't think saying that he doesn't want to or that this is how he is an excuse or means that it's necessarily good for him. It's just how he is and nothing can be done about it.

But I wonder if anyone has actually invited Axl in such a thing (I mean from the people Axl has talked directly with, not through TB). I suspect that people don't ever bother asking him, because it's common knowledge that he doesn't talk. Maybe he would go if he was asked (and was in the mood at the moment). Even in that Trunk interview I think Axl wasn't invited, he just had the impulse to go when Baz told him where he was.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2