GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

3 hours ago, Andy14 said:

I'm gonna repeat myself but the person who runs their social media is an idiot. Their communication with fans sucks major ass, doesn't it? 

There are many things they started but never finished. Like the short videos they used to post after each show, or the guitar picks giveaway, why do they do it only in chosen cities? It doesn't cost them anything to hide the picks somewhere in every city they play, now it only looks they prefer certain fans to others. Or why haven't they published photos from all of the shows on Nightrain? There are still some missing. 

All of this gives an impression they just don't care. It's a pity. 

As a social media worker Im gonna defend the union here and explain a few things :max:

NO ONE in social media works alone. Especially if it's for a company or organization.

Usually there's a social media plan elaborated by the Social Media Manager and the MARKETING team or person in charge, who belongs to the company/org that is hiring.

I figure that in an org like GN'R, the social media manager (if there is one) is outsourced, working from a desk at some Marketing agency.

I know that for the past leg of the tour, they hired a girl (Nicoletta) who was in charge of the social media accounts, live streams and of course, she was travelling with them.

Much of the material that was posted online came from Kat's camera. Meaning that before and after the show, she has to produce material and then make it available for the social media manager.

That material needs to be downloaded, selected, edited, etc. I dont know how many people are involved in the case of GN'R, but remember this: the material that goes live, the posts, the pictures and videos ALWAYS (or most of the time) have to be APPROVED BY THE CLIENT.

So... let's dont go calling the person in charge of social networks idiots or incompetent because there are high chances they dont have the last word when something needs approval.

Maybe it is Fernando the one who has to give the OK or is it Axl? (I dont think so but in some cases it could be him) or I've heard that Del James takes care of some accounts too.

My point is that there's always a burocratic process involved in Social Media and we cant blatantly blame the last person in the chain without knowing how things function in the organization first.

I remember thinking to myself when seeing Kat partying after shows with the other people from the band, when did she have time to go through her camera and select the photos that would make it to social media and the website. The delay in uploading show pics to the Media section of the official site made me reflect on it... :rolleyes:

Also, the videos you talk about come from her camera and even if they are one minute long or less, it requires time to edit them, show them to whoever needs to approve it and then upload it. With shows every 2 or 3 days, it becomes overwhelming to do it fast, especially if social media is not something they rely a lot in order to promote the shows.

Now that it is band's downtime, I don't think the social media person in charge is the same they took on tour. They post once a week or something. Obviously, no one will be hired to be at the "GN'R office" scratching their crotch until the posting day arrives, so I'm sure it is outsourced and/or this video was asked to be edited by some external/outsourced company and then sent back to Del or someone who has 5 minutes of their day to upload the thing.

I have no idea why they used music from a nuGNR show but it is pretty likely that they have not downloaded audio from the amount of hours of video they have filmed from the shows and maybe who did this video is the same that did other videos in the past, so they've got that audio in their storage :shrugs:

I agree with you that they obviously dont care but more in a way that they dont rely on social media that much to promote this tour.

They are a band (actually TB and Axl) who are weary of the Internet and dont trust it that much. And this is a band for fans who are not digital natives so maybe in their minds, spending lots of money on Social Media Managers and social media plan is something they have discarded and decided to go with the bare minimum. 

In my experience, things like this happen when there's no marketing plan, social media plan and things are done in the go. Also, when you outsource too many sections of one area. Like, the official fan club is handled by a different company than the GN'R online store.

• Like 3

Sometimes I think a 3 year old could do better at their social media stuff. The holiday merch made me laugh as well. They will probably start selling Axl inspired Easter bonnets before the end of this week...if you’re lucky the delivery will arrive before Easter 2019.

I’ve read stuff online where certain groups of “fans” think DJ Ashba is better than Slash...now that’s #dementedtenor.gif?itemid=7369894

15 minutes ago, Wheredowegomeow said:

Sometimes I think a 3 year old could do better at their social media stuff. The holiday merch made me laugh as well.

Being a digital native doesn't make you an expert in technology and marketing.

People thinking that social media is an "easy" thing to do and hence, hiring an 18 years old is the way to go, know jack shit about anything and are the first to call a professional when a social media crisis unleashes. And it usually happens because it's a vicious circle to think that communications, marketing and social media can be handled by 3-year-old people.

10 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Usually there's a social media plan elaborated by the Social Media Manager and the MARKETING team or person in charge, who belongs to the company/org that is hiring.

In my experience, things like this happen when there's no marketing plan, social media plan and things are done in the go. Also, when you outsource too many sections of one area. Like, the official fan club is handled by a different company than the GN'R online store.

:lol: Yes, I LOLed at 'social media plan' in a post relating to GNR. I don't think there's a social media plan, like you suggest. If there is, it is a really shitty plan.

I was thinking a diehard fan would do a better job at it than the current 'effort'. And then it occurred to me that the official fan club forum relies only on volunteers, apparently. Maybe that's the case for social media too? Someone from their circle saying: oh, yes, I'll do social media for you. When they aren't touring, I mean, as you say they were paying that woman during the tour.

I heard about Del James doing the accounts back in the day too, but wasn't Nik Souris responsible for social media years back? I might be mixing things up though.

2 minutes ago, Lio said:

:lol: Yes, I LOLed at 'social media plan' in a post relating to GNR. I don't think there's a social media plan, like you suggest. If there is, it is a really shitty plan.

I was thinking a diehard fan would do a better job at it than the current 'effort'. And then it occurred to me that the official fan club forum relies only on volunteers, apparently. Maybe that's the case for social media too? Someone from their circle saying: oh, yes, I'll do social media for you. When they aren't touring, I mean, as you say they were paying that woman during the tour.

I heard about Del James doing the accounts back in the day too, but wasn't Nik Souris responsible for social media years back? I might be mixing things up though.

The bolded: that is 1000% true. We all who work in social media know that a SMM and a CM are best found among the fans of the 'brand'. In order to do this job great you really need to LOVE the product/service/company and be an expert on it.

When I started working on this I used to take any client, but with the time I realized I couldn't fake my passion so now I only take the clients whose product I love, I know, I use and if its something new but Im interested, I study and learn everything about it.

The official forum had 3 people who were mods and with the time, some of the regulars became mods too. But Jarmo was named admin, even though he hardly ever participated in the discussions.

Yes, it looks to me the social media thing during downtime is pretty informal and there's no one specifically assigned to it but its a combination of some guys like Del and Jarmo and maybe that Nick Souris guy, but I think he belongs to a marketing agency, because with the band's inactivity he wouldnt be exclusively committed to that.

It is obvious to me that the mess their social media accounts are is the result of not giving it the importance it has for other organizations. They dont use it to sell tickets so they do the bare minimum only to not look like OUT of the current fashion but after the tour is over, that's when we gonna experience the total abandonment of those accounts.

4 hours ago, Wheredowegomeow said:

anyone else see Steven Adler’s Instagram video from last night? Have to say seeing him play the drums with such a big smile on his face made me smile too!^_^

Are these the videos? He's playing Iron Maiden and Sabbath/H&H! :headbang:

Love Steven so much!! Can't wait to know who his new singer is!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Love Steven so much!! Can't wait to know who his new singer is!

So WHO is the singer? Who is loved by millions of Americans and one of the best entertainers in past decade???? Come on Women’s Thread, you got a job to do! :lol:

I would say Dave Grohl but there’s no was he’s playing with Steven. lol No, seriously, WHOOOOO?! 

IyJQ.gif

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, killuridols said:

:ph34r:

The past decade? So that means 2000-2010 :question:

JUSTIN BIEBER??? :rofl-lol:

BRUNO MARS???

KANEY WEST??

Im sorry I can't think of anyone in rock who fits that description -_-

He made a typo there. Did he mean 'the past decade' or 'past decades'?

Anyway, here's some inspiration from Rolling Stone, although it is a list of 2013:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/50-greatest-live-acts-right-now-20130731

I can't imagine the Boss touring with Steven though :P

I bet that I don't even know the singer. Which isn't a dig at Steven or the singer, I'm just not that familiar with the scene.

• Like 1

It would warm my heart if Bruce Springsteen would sing for Steven. :wub::wow: For various reasons. I also would doubt my sanity because it such an unfit match :rofl-lol:

I have no idea who it could be. I guess noone from the Rolling Stone’s list. Someone from the LA scene that hangs out with them since forever but I’ve never heard of.

8 minutes ago, Wheredowegomeow said:

Lmao is it Axl? And this is why we haven’t heard from him :ph34r:

Im wracking my brains trying to imagine who it could be...could apply to literally anyone. :question:

Womens Thread CSI - do your thing!

Baz??

steven was seen with Baz, Roger Daltrey and Rob Zombie in the last couple of weeks at private parties.. Don t know if its one of them.. loved by millions does apply to any big rock/metal singer.

If Baz had Axl's ok to do so it would be great. I love Baz'voice and stage presence. However I wish Steven a really great and famous singer to be part of his lineup :heart: 

• Like 2