GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

5 minutes ago, Politania said:

Yes, I agree with you. Ppl (outside the gnr world) focused only Axl as a problem, and in their opinion he is the only one who is quilty of all sins. We have larger spectrum of the view.

It is very interesting topic. Ppl do not make good covers of  gnr songs. The way i see it is that is almost impossible to pretend Axl's voice, or his voice is so special that arent many ppl who would be brave enough to challenge themselves with an rock icon -Axl.

It`s always like that, people focus on John Lennon, on Mick Jagger, on Steven Tyler, on Axl Rose... name it. Steven has interesting point of view on Steven Tyler - poster boy of the band - and Three Less Important (how Joe Perry & rest called themselves). Before Axl releases biography, we have to puzzle external sources. 

Edited by Alja
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Ah, another cover of Civil War

I read on Wikipedia that they recorded their first album in Lafayette :lol:

And I forgot about this decent cover:

In case Rise against is famous band.

49 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Whereas, and I don't know if anyone else agrees, but the GNR 'sound' was always a bit of an anomaly, a one-off.  It wasn't quite like the Hair Metal bands of the time and yet it wasn't like Grunge or the styles that followed it.  GNR kind of referenced the bands that came before them, e.g Aerosmith, but then GNR's overall sound wasn't quite like that either.  They really had a unique style, which may have made it tricky for any aspiring artists/bands to tap into?

I agree with this. Appetite was a brilliant blend of various influences and its uniqueness relies mostly on Axl's voice, Slash's tone, the guitar interplay with Izzy, the whole chemistry between the members that produced that sound. But also it wasn't really innovative musically, which could possibly make it influential.

Then we have the Illusions, which were different from Appetite and, in addition to that, very diverse. There are songs of many different styles in there. For example, Estranged is one song. Is it enough to be influential for other artists?

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I agree with what  @killuridols, @Blackstar and @Alja pointed out about the lack of GNR covers.

Summed up: GNR songs are difficult to emulate, even more difficult to put your own stamp on, and there's no artist around these days, that I can think of, with the chops, or the nous to pull it off.  Especially in this era of 'dead rock'.

Added to that, Slash's guitar tone is incredibly difficult to copy or manipulate, and then to a lesser degree this applies to the rest of the band members too, especially Izzy.  As a singer, you would either have to have Axl's range and tone (and stamina - he packs a LOT of words into one breath) to sound remotely credible or you would have to be sensational in your own right to make it work.  

I think this is also partially the reason why there were never any copycat GNR bands in the same way there were so many copy cat Nirvana bands?  Nirvana's sound is really easy to replicate, even though Nirvana themselves own the trademark on that sound.  

Whereas, and I don't know if anyone else agrees, but the GNR 'sound' was always a bit of an anomaly, a one-off.  It wasn't quite like the Hair Metal bands of the time and yet it wasn't like Grunge or the styles that followed it.  GNR kind of referenced the bands that came before them, e.g Aerosmith, but then GNR's overall sound wasn't quite like that either.  They really had a unique style, which may have made it tricky for any aspiring artists/bands to tap into?

Thanks

For me, GNR are huge anomaly. Even if you listen to others o GNR, they... summed, peaked, and closed an era. Before them, there were always new kids to come and bring new, wilder, rougher, more dangerous rock... Until Guns. There was nothing to come and be bigger than them. They dug to the deepest roots of blues (Slash) and got the Roll (Izzy), they added punk (Duff), Axl`s wide range of inspiration... and their balls - and the band sound is sum of all their individual sounds. Still it was unique, quintessential frontman personality of Axl, what distinguished them from the crowd of then LA wannabes. They met and caught the epoch.

Aerosmith agree that Guns dug even deeper than them. 

Slash might not the fastest or most precise shredder, but he has the Blues, the soul. He feels where and how to put the tone to let the solo sing like a song inside the song, an ability of few.  

I`ve heard that Axl started wearing shorts on big stage since he couldn`t wear leather trousers because of overheating. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Uh huh. I oftenly read about how they were the last greatest rock n' roll band, even though Foo Fighters became pretty big after them.

In my opinion, what makes GN'R different from the "hair metal" bands of the time is the DANGEROUS element. This element is present throught AFD and some songs from UYI too, but mainly on AFD songs.

The atmosphere of songs like 'My Michelle' and 'Rocket Queen' always transport me to film noir ambient, that kind of mood that you can only find in the streets at night, in a urban scenary, plagued with low-life characters and people who only show up in the night. Omg, it sends shivers down my spine! :ph34r:

This sound is achieved through Duff's bass lines, they always made the difference for GN'R songs. And of course Slash mean guitar, but also sexy and killer.

I agree this is hard to replicate for any band that would want to cover them, as we see most of the covers out there, turn the songs into softer versions of the original, it is never the same caliber of energy than GN'R.

And this is because the GN'R members were outlaws, not only musicians, they lived the life they were singing/playing about so that's another element hard to replicate: AUTHENTICITY. Not because other bands are copycats or less genuine, but because living that kind of life is not for everyone and not everyone living that kind of life are oftenly found making music, turning into big stars. All the contrary, I'd say.

So yeah, GN'R is a special band, unique in their style and the time they came around.

Edited by killuridols
  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

48 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Uh huh. I oftenly read about how they were the last greatest rock n' roll band, even though Foo Fighters became pretty big after them.

In my opinion, what makes GN'R different from the "hair metal" bands of the time is the DANGEROUS element. This element is present throught AFD and some songs from UYI too, but mainly on AFD songs.

The atmosphere of songs like 'My Michelle' and 'Rocket Queen' always transport me to film noir ambient, that kind of mood that you can only find in the streets at night, in a urban scenary, plagued with low-life characters and people who only show up in the night. Omg, it sends shivers down my spine! :ph34r:

This sound is achieved through Duff's bass lines, they always made the difference for GN'R songs. And of course Slash mean guitar, but also sexy and killer.

I agree this is hard to replicate for any band that would want to cover them, as we see most of the covers out there, turn the songs into softer versions of the original, it is never the same caliber of energy than GN'R.

And this is because the GN'R members were outlaws, not only musicians, they lived the life they were singing/playing about so that's another element hard to replicate: AUTHENTICITY. Not because other bands are copycats or less genuine, but because living that kind of life is not for everyone and not everyone living that kind of life are oftenly found making music, turning into big stars. All the contrary, I'd say.

So yeah, GN'R is a special band, unique in their style and the time they came around.

@killuridols did you saw a movie named Heat? With Robert de Niro and Al Pacino? There is an scene in a raunchy motel...I swear to God it was My Michelle in images....the movie is st in LA in mid-90's

9 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

@killuridols did you saw a movie named Heat? With Robert de Niro and Al Pacino? There is an scene in a raunchy motel...I swear to God it was My Michelle in images....the movie is st in LA in mid-90's

No, I haven't watched that but if I get a chance I will check it out! :o

I want to add that an artist or a band can be influential in many different ways, other than making newer bands want to sound like them. Could be the approach, the attitude, certain elements of the sound like the singer's style, the bass etc. For example, Axl said that the album Queen II had songs of different styles and he wanted that for GnR.

Edited by Blackstar

The thread keeps notifying me that @killuridols @Blackstar and @Georgina Arriaga have posted „just now“. THen I go and only see the posts from yesterday. What game are you playing with me, girls. Secret messages so Tori cannot see???? :wow: :lol::facepalm:

Only kidding, the forum keeps doing funny things with my notifications. :P

So, anyway. Glad for all those cover versions you people dug out. The anomaly thing about GnR I totally get. This is why I liked them. Up to this day I don’t like any hair metal bands, never did. I wasn’t into that at all. GnR was different, they sounded different, so musically varied, even on Appetite. Nobody had so much diverse grooves and swings and so mean atmosphere. 

Ah, and @Blackstar, of course I meant Patti Smith! I love her! I just suck on saying what genre is what band (or vica versa?). To me she is rock-ish but not Rock n Roll? I don’t really know what genre she is though. I probably have no clue what I’m talking about. :smiley-confused2:

Edited by Tori72
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Politania said:

why?

It’s exactly for this reason...

12 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

Agree. He has fight for his privacy and that mistery is fascinating to watch. 

Plus he would have to drag up all the ill feelings he had about Slash and that’s water under the bridge now...not saying I wouldn’t read it because I most definitely would do but I like that Axl doesn’t put his whole life on social media and out there in book etc...sometimes it pisses me off haha but I also respect it. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Plus he would have to drag up all the ill feelings he had about Slash and that’s water under the bridge now...not saying I wouldn’t read it because I most definitely would do but I like that Axl doesn’t put his whole life on social media and out there in book etc...sometimes it pisses me off haha but I also respect it. 

We don't know a single thing about his tastes (we know that he doesn't like to celebrate birthdays, per Andrei), even we don't know if he has a lady in his life!...that is fascinating in this era of knowing all throught social media...and of course piss me off!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tori72 said:

The thread keeps notifying me that @killuridols @Blackstar and @Georgina Arriaga have posted „just now“. THen I go and only see the posts from yesterday. What game are you playing with me, girls. Secret messages so Tori cannot see???? :wow: :lol::facepalm:

Only kidding, the forum keeps doing funny things with my notifications. :P

So, anyway. Glad for all those cover versions you people dug out. The anomaly thing about GnR I totally get. This is why I liked them. Up to this day I don’t like any hair metal bands, never did. I wasn’t into that at all. GnR was different, they sounded different, so musically varied, even on Appetite. Nobody had so much diverse grooves and swings and so mean atmosphere. 

Ah, and @Blackstar, of course I meant Patti Smith! I love her! I just suck on saying what genre is what band (or vica versa?). To me she is rock-ish but not Rock n Roll? I don’t really know what genre she is though. I probably have no clue what I’m talking about. :smiley-confused2:

@Tori72 same problem you with my notifications😨