GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

5 minutes ago, Padme said:

It's a comedy called Big Daddy. The main charater is an inmature guy who ends up in charge of an orphan kid. And playing the role of father. Good? I don't know. It's  an Adam Sandler commedy. It has funny moments. It can be watched. At the end with the rolling credits they played SCOM GN'R version. But it's the one from AFD.

I meant it isn't the one from AFD. It's some weird version. Axl saying Figaro, Figaro in the begining

1 hour ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I do get what you are saying, I’ve known a few people who say they despise GnR and I’ll ask them why and they’ll say “because they’re divas” and I’ll say that’s not all there is to them, they have some great music, but it’s no use. And yes, they usually say that’s on Axl. 

People have blamed only Axl, but we know that all memebers of the band have f*** things up and contributed to its falling apart.  Some were more guilty. other less.The sins of youth have broken the band

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I don’t remember Queen being thought of as cool where I come from, they were thought of in kind of the same way as you described GnR, very pompous and they were a band your parents liked, not cool at all. Then I think most bands that have such a long history have a phase or phases when they are thought of as very uncool to like, for whatever reason. I noticed this happening with Nirvana not so long ago where I come from, they used to be untouchable, nobody said anything about them but now it’s “they were a fad, a trend at the time, Kurt was a copy cat.” It won’t last, they’re legendary and rightfully so. 

I do get what you are saying, I’ve known a few people who say they despise GnR and I’ll ask them why and they’ll say “because they’re divas” and I’ll say that’s not all there is to them, they have some great music, but it’s no use. And yes, they usually say that’s on Axl. 

I can’t imagine many bands would let that factor into it if they thought they liked, say..Nightrain so much that they wanted to cover it...maybe it’s the lack of proper rock n roll bands? 

Maybe anyone who asks gets told no? 

I don’t know, it’s a mystery that really bugs me :lol:

I really wish for a band to do an awesome cover of a GnR song!

Btw, what do you think of the Etta James version of WTTJ? 

29 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Yes, her voice is just amazing, or should I say was :( 

I kind of wish she had picked a different song, like Patience or Don’t Cry but I guess she felt like doing WTTJ so who am I to complain :lol:

I like Etta James version is👌

28 minutes ago, Politania said:

People have blamed only Axl, but we know that all memebers of the band have f*** things up and contributed to its falling apart.  Some were more guilty. other less.The sins of youth have broken the band

@Politania, you see the post of @Andy14 on Easter ? AXL IS THE GUY WHAT carry the cross over his shoulders😆:smiley-confused2:

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Politania said:

Yeah, I agree with you, when you read a lot about the history of the band and try and gather all of the information you can and try to see all the points of view of people who were there as to why the band split up, then you realise what a mess :lol:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tori72 said:

I have a question for you boys and girls. Why is it that there are so few cover versions of GnR songs? At least there aren’t any important or influential ones or ones that would feel like a tribute.

I think it is because the artists who are big now do not belong to the rock world, rock is dead, at least on the radio.

If you think of a Justin Bieber, Miley Cirus, Harry Styles, Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars, etc... I couldn't imagine them covering Guns at all.

I also think most GNR songs are complicated to sing and require a big set of pipes to not sound like a clown. This is why I guess most of the covers out there are sang by female artists.

Particularly, I like this cover of 'November Rain' by Sandi Thom.

But I get what Tori says about no influential, big names covering Guns yet and I really can't find a solid argument to explain it.

Like I said it is mostly females covering the softer songs, usually turning them into softie, girly versions that do not do justice to the original version. Maybe it is better like that, I'm not much fan of the covers.... I mean, I wouldn't like to hear a "Puff Daddy" type of artists destroying a GNR song, like he did with that The Police one :facepalm:

Finally, I wanted to share this SCOM cover that was used for a TV Ad of a yoghurt brand here in Argentina. For some reason, it's become so popular that I hear it even in my dreams :lol: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I have no idea who sings this, though...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Politania said:

Might not be the solely responsible for it but he's contributed big to the final demise of the band, especially the last years when he sacked Clarke and Sorum and brought that Yoko Ono kind of guy, Tobias, who enraged Slash and not only that, Axl made him record his shit guitar over Slash:facepalm:

People have dignity, you know? Those are the kind of things that are not acceptable at all. He pulled from the rope too tight and it broke.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Politania said:

40 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Yeah, I agree with you, when you read a lot about the history of the band and try and gather all of the information you can and try to see all the points of view of people who were there as to why the band split up, then you realise what a mess :lol:

Yes to both of you. Their addictions, their egos, their mental health, bad management decisions - all of it was a factor to destroy that band. I wasn’t blaming only Axl at all nor do I think so. I was referring to him mostly because I thought the standing of GnR in the public eye would/could be a reason why they don’t get covered.

34 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I think it is because the artists who are big now do not belong to the rock world, rock is dead, at least on the radio.

If you think of a Justin Bieber, Miley Cirus, Harry Styles, Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars, etc... I couldn't imagine them covering Guns at all.

:vomit: Nope.Not at all. Can't stand most of those mentioned above (like some Bruno Mars) but you’re right. Rock is dead and that’s why it doesn’t get covered. I just wanna say Patty Smith and Tori Amos are not Rock either. Probably Patty Smith is, but softer. Anyway, they made brilliant covers.

34 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I also think most GNR songs are complicated to sing and require a big set of pipes to not sound like a clown. This is why I guess most of the covers out there are sang by female artists.

This is one thing I haven’t thought about! And I think this is key. Those thousands of registers Axl could pull are amazing, especially the high notes, but also lower registers. Still it doesn’t answer why Patience didn’t get covered, it is a lower register. I guess the last part of the song is again pretty difficult to sing. Axl had this enormous voice! Gosh, how much I loved that voice!!! :headbang::wub:

I’m sorry to say I don’t like all those girly soft versions of GnR songs, I also don’t think the lyrics give it away. Maybe SCOM but it just doesn’t fit. So. I couldn’t even answer who I wanted to do a cover version of a GnR song. Who is there? Maybe Greta van Fleet? :) 

Edited by Tori72
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

:vomit: Nope.Not at all. Can't stand most of those mentioned above (like some Bruno Mars) but you’re right. Rock is dead and that’s why it doesn’t get covered. I just wanna say Patty Smith and Tori Amos are not Rock either. Probably Patty Smith is, but softer. Anyway, they made brilliant covers.

Yeah but they aren't pop either. Tori is alternative, I guess, from the 90s generation of women who became prominent artists in that decade, in spite of music being dominated by male artists.

But I can see why Tori covered Teen Spirit instead of a GN'R song. She's closer to grunge than the GNR cock rock.

For females, it is hard to cover a GNR song that is not one of the ballads. All the rest of the cool songs have terrible lyrics, impossible to sing from a female perspective.

As for male artists, I think the reasons are complexity of the songs and not having "the voice" (even though you point Patience, but most guys don't wanna sing a ballad). Also, I think Slash guitar is not easy to emulate either.

I really can't think of an artist who I'd like to see covering GNR. I have watched lots of people doing it, like from those reality tv shows singing contests and most of it has been a disaster to my ears. Sometimes they have the voice but lack the attitude.

10 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Yeah but they aren't pop either. Tori is alternative, I guess, from the 90s generation of women who became prominent artists in that decade, in spite of music being dominated by male artists.

But I can see why Tori covered Teen Spirit instead of a GN'R song. She's closer to grunge than the GNR cock rock.

For females, it is hard to cover a GNR song that is not one of the ballads. All the rest of the cool songs have terrible lyrics, impossible to sing from a female perspective.

As for male artists, I think the reasons are complexity of the songs and not having "the voice" (even though you point Patience, but most guys don't wanna sing a ballad). Also, I think Slash guitar is not easy to emulate either.

I really can't think of an artist who I'd like to see covering GNR. I have watched lots of people doing it, like from those reality tv shows singing contests and most of it has been a disaster to my ears. Sometimes they have the voice but lack the attitude.

So we’ve got it now, haven’t we? Voice melody and Slash’s guitar being too complex (in lack of a better word), lyrics being to mysoginist and ballads being to ballads. I guess nowadays most sane male artists don’t want to sing a misogynist cock rock song like „So easy“ etc. So it’s their artistic complexity in music and their hate-lyrics as well as the reputation of the band as being „divas“ etc. Kind of answers it all, doesn’t it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tori72 said:

So we’ve got it now, haven’t we? Voice melody and Slash’s guitar being too complex (in lack of a better word), lyrics being to mysoginist and ballads being to ballads. I guess nowadays most sane male artists don’t want to sing a misogynist cock rock song like „So easy“ etc. So it’s their artistic complexity in music and their hate-lyrics as well as the reputation of the band as being „divas“ etc. Kind of answers it all, doesn’t it?

Haha, I don't know.... It's just our opinion based in our speculations :P

Since I'm not much into the music of today, I'm having trouble to think of these reasons as solid reasons to back up my opinions. Because I don't know who are the popular bands of today and I don't know their influences. I only hear of the pop artists and I know that for sure, none of them would cover GN'R, except for the easy happy songs, which I guess they are reduced to SCOM only! :lol: :facepalm:

It is a political correct world nowadays. No major artist would cover 'Used To Love Her' or 'You're crazy'. The songs about drugs like Brownstone... Gosh, no, I can't imagine someone daring to that, lol. 'Out ta get me', maybe... But 'My Michelle' and 'Rocket Queen' :scared:

All the songs on the Illusions are terrible, lyric wise, 'with your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue' :facepalm:

No, no, no... Looool..... Are there any 'dangerous' bands out there? Dangerous like GN'R in the 90s? Because that is what it takes to cover GN'R.... Like someone with big balls to cover 'One in A Million' and shake the whole politically correct sphere. Same way as when Axl decided to wear Manson's tshirts and record his song... I don't think there's an artist out there, like the Axl of the 90s, willing to shake the establishment and the new conquered rights of minorities just for the sake of going against them.

One thing I don't know, though, is if in order to cover a song you have to ask permission to the artist.... If that's a factor, maybe there's another side of the story here.

RE: Covers of GnR songs. In my opinion it may be due to a combination of factors, which have very little -if at all- to do with Axl. People's opinions on AFD especially are not affected by their opinions on Axl.

There are bands and songs which are iconic and distinct in certain ways, and as a result not much covered because it's very difficult for other artists to make them their own (with the exception of some artists of very high caliber). For example, there aren't so many covers of The Doors' songs by great artists compared to The Beatles, Stones, Dylan etc. whose songs have been covered a lot. Another related factor is that the GnR hits are constantly on the radio etc. It's not very usual for such songs to be covered. Smells Like Teen Spirit being covered has to do with the Kurt Cobain thing and paying tribute to him. I haven't heard many other Nirvana songs being covered.

Manic Street Preachers have covered It's So Easy. Although their version isn't very good, the Manics are a fairly big name and a relatively acclaimed band (and not "cock rock" at all).

The one GnR song I'm kinda surprised that it hasn't been covered (apart from that Hoobastank band) is Civil War. I'd expect that more artists would want to cover it.

@Tori72 Etta James was a great and legendary artist. If you have seen the film Cadillac Records, her character is played by Beyonce.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 4

On 17.04.2018 at 8:33 PM, BorderlineCrazy said:

Do you really wanna know his shoe size or is that an euphemism? :awesomeface:

Just shoe size. No hidden meanings, you naughty girls... :lol: Just had a discussion once with someone in which we disagreed on weather his feet are small or big (yeah, I know, a very important issue :lol:) and I began to wonder if there has ever been any information on his shoe size, especially that now they're exhibiting his shoes, so maybe someone saw what size they were :lol:

Edited by Asia

2 hours ago, Tori72 said:

I just wanna say Patty Smith and Tori Amos are not Rock either. Probably Patty Smith is, but softer. Anyway, they made brilliant covers.

Patti Smith not rock or soft rock? I'd never think someone would say that about her.:lol:

Unless you confused her with Patty Smyth (many people have) who has written and sung boring soft rock songs

But Patti Smith did the cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Edited by Blackstar

37 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

RE: Covers of GnR songs. In my opinion it may be due to a combination of factors, which have very little -if at all- to do with Axl. People's opinions on AFD especially are not affected by their opinions on Axl.

There are bands and songs which are iconic and distinct in certain ways, and as a result not much covered because it's very difficult for other artists to make them their own (with the exception of some artists of very high caliber). If we think about it, there aren't many covers of The Doors' songs by great artists, for example, while The Beatles, Stones, Dylan etc. are much covered. Another related factor is that the GnR hits are constantly on the radio etc. It's not very usual for such songs to be covered. Smells Like Teen Spirit being covered has to do with the Kurt Cobain thing and paying tribute to him. I haven't heard many other Nirvana songs being covered.

Manic Street Preachers have covered It's So Easy. Although the cover isn't very good, the Manics are a fairly big name and a relatively acclaimed band (and not "cock rock" at all).

The one GnR song I'm kinda surprised that it hasn't been covered (apart from that Hoobastank band) is Civil War. I'd expect that more artists would want to cover it.

@Tori72 Etta James was a great and legendary artist. If you have seen the film Cadillac Records, her character is played by Beyonce.

I can't remember she name but a woman of jazz band ,think in New Orleans make GNR covers, maybe you like  Guns historian can find this☺

10 minutes ago, Ratam said:

I can't remember she name but a woman of jazz band ,think in New Orleans make GNR covers, maybe you like  Guns historian can find this☺

Yes, I've heard that cover. It's very good

But I think the talk here is about known and acclaimed artists covering GnR.

--------

I guess this was done as a kind of response, but apparently they liked the song :)

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 1

There was a nice version of sweet child in the john Lewis advert a few years ago, there was a programme about them putting the  Christmas advert together and they mentioned that they was waiting on axl's permission to use It  the band was called taken by trees 💛

10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, I've heard that cover. It's very good

But I think the talk here is about known and acclaimed artists covering GnR.

--------

I guess this was done as a kind of response, but apparently they liked the song :)

This, i remember bands extreme metal too

It`s not just a voice thing -  and to sing songs Axl made for himself in his vocal heyday are difficult per se; second is how much emotion he puts into phrasing, which is ability of few. If you want to cover something, you must add something which makes the song interesting. Like I like both U2 and Johny Cash`s One.

Who has balls to cover songs which covered Janis Joplin? Who covers Jimi Hendrix on guitar? Not tribute, cover. Who covers Floyds or Led Zeppelin? Apart from poor abused BoRhap, who has balls to cover Queen, where each and every player is personality of his own... Not tribute, not an original artist supervised thingy, full blown cover where you can forget original or put them side by side. 

Dylan is phenomenon on his own, many of his songs got their justice after they were picked by another artists, from All Along the Watchtower to Heaven`s Door.

Guns had this incredible ability to take a song and make it distinctively their own piece. Guns had balls to cover biggest of bands, from Dylan to Paul McCartney to Stones to Aerosmith and it feels like they put that songs on steroids. 

Apart from this, covering is more of a live performance thing than something you put on an album. 

Guns were last in an era which began in the 60s, when rock`n`roll transformed from enfant terrible to jewel of music industry. Grunge was antithesis to hair metal bands and epic performances. Now top hits are overproduced, artificial sweetened no-offense hits where solo artist are somehow just an entirely disposable tool detached from songwriting. 

This cover is hilarious:

Edited by Alja
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Tori72 said:

Yes to both of you. Their addictions, their egos, their mental health, bad management decisions - all of it was a factor to destroy that band. I wasn’t blaming only Axl at all nor do I think so. I was referring to him mostly because I thought the standing of GnR in the public eye would/could be a reason why they don’t get covered.

This is one thing I haven’t thought about! And I think this is key. Those thousands of registers Axl could pull are amazing, especially the high notes, but also lower registers. Still it doesn’t answer why Patience didn’t get covered, it is a lower register. I guess the last part of the song is again pretty difficult to sing. Axl had this enormous voice! Gosh, how much I loved that voice!!! :headbang::wub:

I’m sorry to say I don’t like all those girly soft versions of GnR songs, I also don’t think the lyrics give it away. Maybe SCOM but it just doesn’t fit. So. I couldn’t even answer who I wanted to do a cover version of a GnR song. Who is there? Maybe Greta van Fleet? :) 

Yes, I agree with you. Ppl (outside the gnr world) focused only Axl as a problem, and in their opinion he is the only one who is quilty of all sins. We have larger spectrum of the view.

It is very interesting topic. Ppl do not make good covers of  gnr songs. The way i see it is that is almost impossible to pretend Axl's voice, or his voice is so special that arent many ppl who would be brave enough to challenge themselves with an rock icon -Axl.

1 hour ago, Alja said:

It`s not just a voice thing -  and to sing songs Axl made for himself in his vocal heyday are difficult per se; second is how much emotion he puts into phrasing, which is ability of few. If you want to cover something, you must add something which makes the song interesting. Like I like both U2 and Johny Cash`s One.

Who has balls to cover songs which covered Janis Joplin? Who covers Jimi Hendrix on guitar? Not tribute, cover. Who covers Floyds or Led Zeppelin? Apart from poor abused BoRhap, who has balls to cover Queen, where each and every player is personality of his own... Not tribute, not an original artist supervised thingy, full blown cover where you can forget original or put them side by side. 

Dylan is phenomenon on his own, many of his songs got their justice after they were picked by another artists, from All Along the Watchtower to Heaven`s Door.

Guns had this incredible ability to take a song and make it distinctively their own piece. Guns had balls to cover biggest of bands, from Dylan to Paul McCartney to Stones to Aerosmith and it feels like they put that songs on steroids. 

Apart from this, covering is more of a live performance thing than something you put on an album. 

Guns were last in an era which began in the 60s, when rock`n`roll transformed from enfant terrible to jewel of music industry. Grunge was antithesis to hair metal bands and epic performances. Now top hits are overproduced, artificial sweetened no-offense hits where solo artist are somehow just an entirely disposable tool detached from songwriting. 

This cover is hilarious:

True is hilarious, type naif cover.