GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

6 minutes ago, beautifulanddamned said:

Come on, band. All we have to talk about are Sorum's manshorts.

Image result for boring gif

Alrighty. Do you girls and boys wanna play the „Who’s your favourite gunner and what do you wanna ask him / tell him“ game? So, off you go! :awesomeface:

Edited by Tori72

25 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

Alrighty. Do you girls and boys wanna play the „Who’s your favourite gunner and what do you wanna ask him / tell him“ game? So, off you go! :awesomeface:

Alright. My favorite gunner is Slash and I'd like to ask him how much money did he get selling his soul to this stupid tour with a shitty backing band, Axl solo songs and no new music. :lol:

1 hour ago, Asia said:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here know what Axl's shoe size is?

Do you really wanna know his shoe size or is that an euphemism? :awesomeface:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Alright. My favorite gunner is Slash and I'd like to ask him how much money did he get selling his soul to this stupid tour with a shitty backing band, Axl solo songs and no new music. :lol:

Do you really wanna know his shoe size or is that an euphemism? :awesomeface:

1. Great question! :rofl-lol: (Answer: He’s not Slash anymore. The soul has left the body. The crow. You know.)

2. It’s an intelligence test. :P

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

1. Great question! :rofl-lol: (Answer: He’s not Slash anymore. The soul has left the body. The crow. You know.)

Poor Slash, how many souls have left him already? :lol:

4 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

2. It’s an intelligence test. :P

I know, look at Slash at the very end of this video. "This is my IQ in the morning" :P

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Poor Slash, how many souls have left him already? :lol:

I know, look at Slash at the very end of this video. "This is my IQ in the morning" :P

• Oh that must have been after Izzy played with Duff in that room. :lol: So they were all jamming for a while.

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

@killuridols I'm just saying they need to rehearse a little more before going on tour. His playing is fine, but the rest of them sound like teenagers jamming in someone's garage. Definitely not "Appetite the way it's supposed to sound."

That's gonna be tough, not having a Slash, Axl, Izzy and Duff :shrugs:

But I guess they are rehearsing.... when is it the first show?

I have a question for you boys and girls. Why is it that there are so few cover versions of GnR songs? At least there aren’t any important or influential ones or ones that would feel like a tribute. There are cover versions of Nirvana, of the Sex Pistols, etc. but not very many or good ones (I think) of GnR. Patty Smith an Tori Amos covered „Smells Like Teen Spirit“, just as an example. Nobod of that artistic caliber did anything with GnR songs. 

So why do you think that is? My personal theory is that Axl destroyed GnR legacy with his being late on stage and thus disrespecting his fans as well as his power games and his band falling apart. I know there are many more reasons why the band fell apart but still that wouldn’t have to destroy their legacy and artistic / musical impact.

So, what do you think?

7 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

I have a question for you boys and girls. Why is it that there are so few cover versions of GnR songs? At least there aren’t any important or influential ones or ones that would feel like a tribute. There are cover versions of Nirvana, of the Sex Pistols, etc. but not very many or good ones (I think) of GnR. Patty Smith an Tori Amos covered „Smells Like Teen Spirit“, just as an example. Nobod of that artistic caliber did anything with GnR songs. 

So why do you think that is? My personal theory is that Axl destroyed GnR legacy with his being late on stage and thus disrespecting his fans as well as his power games and his band falling apart. I know there are many more reasons why the band fell apart but still that wouldn’t have to destroy their legacy and artistic / musical impact.

So, what do you think?

SCOM has been covered several times. PC was covered for that silly Budweiser commercial. Also Pat Boone covered PC in one of his albums. I don't think it has to do with legacy. I think in some cases is the explicit lyrics. It could also be the length of the songs and legal issues like royalties. Or just Axl saying thanks but no thank you.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Padme said:

SCOM has been covered several times. PC was covered for that silly Budweiser commercial. Also Pat Boone covered PC in one of his albums. I don't think it has to do with legacy. I think in some cases is the explicit lyrics. It could also be the length of the songs and legal issues like royalties. Or just Axl saying thanks but no thank you.

Or it has to do with me not liking or valuing those covers as important or influential? Pat Boone’s cover is hurting my ears, for example. Never heard a good SCOM cover in my life. Am I alone with this?

2 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

Or it has to do with me not liking or valuing those covers as important or influential? Pat Boone’s cover is hurting my ears, for example. Never heard a good SCOM cover in my life. Am I alone with this?

Nope, you’re not alone because I have never heard a good cover of SCOM either. Or any good covers of GnR songs at all and I do agree with you that it’s a mystery why no other band worth anything has covered GnR. 

I don’t necessarily think it’s becuase of Axl’s behaviour hurting the legacy because AfD has always been considered right up there when talking about the greatest albums ever made for years, no matter what Axl did with the name or how much he sabotaged himself and everything else, it hasn’t hurt the popularity of their music imo. 

The Illusions and Lies are quite popular amongst rock fans too. 

Its also strange to me how there doesn’t seem to be hardly any bands who are heavily influenced by GnR. You would think a young band somewhere would hear AfD, Lies and Illusions and want to be like that, wouldn’t you? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Nope, you’re not alone because I have never heard a good cover of SCOM either. Or any good covers of GnR songs at all and I do agree with you that it’s a mystery why no other band worth anything has covered GnR. 

I don’t necessarily think it’s becuase of Axl’s behaviour hurting the legacy because AfD has always been considered right up there when talking about the greatest albums ever made for years, no matter what Axl did with the name or how much he sabotaged himself and everything else, it hasn’t hurt the popularity of their music imo. 

The Illusions and Lies are quite popular amongst rock fans too. 

Its also strange to me how there doesn’t seem to be hardly any bands who are heavily influenced by GnR. You would think a young band somewhere would hear AfD, Lies and Illusions and want to be like that, wouldn’t you? 

EXACTLY! 

To me it has to do with how much Axl - and to be fair - the rest of the band, made GnR a ridiculous thing after 1991. I remember very exactly how GnR got dropped with a plop in 92 and were thought of as being posers, ridiculous and too extravagant where I lived. Whereas Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers (REM, etc. the whole Grunge thing) and also Queen were thought great and cool. I think the gap between those cool looking AFD hardrock dudes in leather pants and later, Axl’s overflowing  extravanza stage persona with different outfits, tiny whities, also writing lyrics off personal insights from therapy or off his lovesickness was too big. It didn’t remind anyone of those AFD and Lies days. After the GnR hype nobody could follow that, there was no gradual transformation or evolvement. 

Edited by Tori72

59 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

I can deal with the Sheryl Crow version. The problem is the song lyrics doesn't fit the movie plot. It was a bad call to pick that song, that's on the movie producers/director

I was in Osaka market and they played girl cover of Sweet Child. At first it was weird to me, like... average Japan weird, but it was a good cover. They sang it like ...his eyes remind me of a warm safe place... I can`t find it anymore, Have you heard about it?

2 hours ago, Tori72 said:

So, what do you think?

But what about this one?

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

But what about this one?

William Shatner is fan.tast.ic!!! Have you heard his album „Has been“? 

I love especially common people! And of course this one ... that really gets to my heart:

Apropos „Bohemian Rapsody“... there are so many great awesome cover versions!

1 hour ago, Tori72 said:

EXACTLY! 

To me it has to do with how much Axl - and to be fair - the rest of the band, made GnR a ridiculous thing after 1991. I remember very exactly how GnR got dropped with a plop in 92 and were thought of as being posers, ridiculous and too extravagant where I lived. Whereas Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers (REM, etc. the whole Grunge thing) and also Queen were thought great and cool. I think the gap between those cool looking AFD hardrock dudes in leather pants and later, Axl’s overflowing  extravanza stage persona with different outfits, tiny whities, also writing lyrics off personal insights from therapy or off his lovesickness was too big. It didn’t remind anyone of those AFD and Lies days. After the GnR hype nobody could follow that, there was no gradual transformation or evolvement. 

I don’t remember Queen being thought of as cool where I come from, they were thought of in kind of the same way as you described GnR, very pompous and they were a band your parents liked, not cool at all. Then I think most bands that have such a long history have a phase or phases when they are thought of as very uncool to like, for whatever reason. I noticed this happening with Nirvana not so long ago where I come from, they used to be untouchable, nobody said anything about them but now it’s “they were a fad, a trend at the time, Kurt was a copy cat.” It won’t last, they’re legendary and rightfully so. 

I do get what you are saying, I’ve known a few people who say they despise GnR and I’ll ask them why and they’ll say “because they’re divas” and I’ll say that’s not all there is to them, they have some great music, but it’s no use. And yes, they usually say that’s on Axl. 

I can’t imagine many bands would let that factor into it if they thought they liked, say..Nightrain so much that they wanted to cover it...maybe it’s the lack of proper rock n roll bands? 

Maybe anyone who asks gets told no? 

I don’t know, it’s a mystery that really bugs me :lol:

I really wish for a band to do an awesome cover of a GnR song!

Btw, what do you think of the Etta James version of WTTJ? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I don’t know, it’s a mystery that really bugs me :lol:

I really wish for a band to do an awesome cover of a GnR song!

Btw, what do you think of the Etta James version of WTTJ? 

It bugs me too! :lol:

Never heard Etta James before. Her cover is good, she really owns it. It’s not my kind of music, the synthesizer etc... :shrugs: But she’s done a decent job and her voice is wow. 

Probably one of the better cover versions of a gnr song I’ve heard. 

Edited by Tori72

1 hour ago, Padme said:

I can deal with the Sheryl Crow version. The problem is the song lyrics doesn't fit the movie plot. It was a bad call to pick that song, that's on the movie producers/director

True! Listened to it again. It is not great. But I can live with it, too. :) Never seen the movie. What’s it called? Is it good? 

44 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

It bugs me too! :lol:

Never heard Etta James before. Her cover is good, she really owns it. It’s not my kind of music, the synthesizer etc... :shrugs: But she’s done a decent job and her voice is wow. 

Probably one of the better cover versions of a gnr song I’ve heard. 

Yes, her voice is just amazing, or should I say was :( 

I kind of wish she had picked a different song, like Patience or Don’t Cry but I guess she felt like doing WTTJ so who am I to complain :lol:

35 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

True! Listened to it again. It is not great. But I can live with it, too. :) Never seen the movie. What’s it called? Is it good? 

It's a comedy called Big Daddy. The main charater is an inmature guy who ends up in charge of an orphan kid. And playing the role of father. Good? I don't know. It's  an Adam Sandler commedy. It has funny moments. It can be watched. At the end with the rolling credits they played SCOM GN'R version. But it's the one from AFD.