British Politics

Gracii Guns

I don't see what the big deal is, so some fuckin' American bellend is coming down to meet with a bunch of English bellends...nothing anyone shouts is gonna stop him from being the president and it probably wouldn't make a difference even if it did, it'd just be another cunt in line just there always is.  And y'know for all his big talk its not like he's actually enacted anything that fuckin' revolutionary, just makes a pranny of himself a bit more than the average politician.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

American politics couldn't be more exasperating.

FTFY.

As a Norwegian, does it not frustrate you, coming from one of the polities in the world that's closest to getting it right in terms of creating a society with real equality of opportunity and the lowest levels of social injustice that there are so many other countries that seem incapable of sitting up and taking notice?

You're the socioeconomic equivalent of a person using wheels while watching others stubbornly dragging boulders uphill with nothing but the ground.

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Why the propensity among high-ranking Conservatives for this posture - it is baffling?

DcDGbt4X0AA6KkZ.jpg

They’re projecting their genitals, the stance says ‘I AM EQUIPPED....to run the country’...Theresa is saying ‘I am a woman with balls’ if you get my meaning.  

Its basic nobhead body language 101.

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

They’re projecting their genitals, the stance says ‘I AM EQUIPPED....to run the country’...Theresa is saying ‘I am a woman with balls’ if you get my meaning.  

Its basic nobhead body language 101.

This might have something to do with it,

DcEDQyyWAAANXLR.jpg

Further on this,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43960452

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Graeme said:

FTFY.

As a Norwegian, does it not frustrate you, coming from one of the polities in the world that's closest to getting it right in terms of creating a society with real equality of opportunity and the lowest levels of social injustice that there are so many other countries that seem incapable of sitting up and taking notice?

You're the socioeconomic equivalent of a person using wheels while watching others stubbornly dragging boulders uphill with nothing but the ground.

Heh. Maybe it should, but it doesn't. I mean, I think a lot of it is caused by luck on our part, and our massive oil and gas reserves that allow us to build this society. Most people wouldn't be able to afford it. I feel it would be hubris to sort of gloat over our good fortune. But yes, I do find it strange that other countries don't just acknowledge the success of Scandinavian countries and our social democracies and try to look more carefully if there isn't aspects of them that could be emulated or copied. It doesn't have to be all of it, just accept that it does work and be more open to consider taking some of that aboard. It's like people don't really care about facts, you know, they don't acknowledge that these countries repeatedly come up on top of various lists of quality of life. That part, that people don't get it, kinda bums me out, though, and it doesn't start or stop with ways to govern countries but just that humans in general are so resistant to accept any fact that would challenge what they prefer to believe or whatever they are accustomed to. You see it on the level of individuals, so it is only natural you would see it on the level of countries and states, too, I suppose. 

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Heh. Maybe it should, but it doesn't. I mean, I think a lot of it is caused by luck on our part, and our massive oil and gas reserves that allow us to build this society. Most people wouldn't be able to afford it. I feel it would be hubris to sort of gloat over our good fortune. But yes, I do find it strange that other countries don't just acknowledge the success of Scandinavian countries and our social democracies and try to look more carefully if there isn't aspects of them that could be emulated or copied. It doesn't have to be all of it, just accept that it does work and be more open to consider taking some of that aboard. It's like people don't really care about facts, you know, they don't acknowledge that these countries repeatedly come up on top of various lists of quality of life. That part, that people don't get it, kinda bums me out, though, and it doesn't start or stop with ways to govern countries but just that humans in general are so resistant to accept any fact that would challenge what they prefer to believe or whatever they are accustomed to. You see it on the level of individuals, so it is only natural you would see it on the level of countries and states, too, I suppose. 

You also frequently top the list for the price of a pint of lager so fuck that! :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Dazey said:

You also frequently top the list for the price of a pint of lager so fuck that! :lol: 

I know you're kinda joking but I've had people legitimately try to use that as an argument against Social Democracy as a system. I mean, is that really that important when compared to making a meaningful reduction in the number of kids growing up in poverty, the number of homeless people, improving general public wellbeing and having a more socially cohesive and less hierarchical society...

@SoulMonster, I know the oil is a boon that Norway enjoys but Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Iceland don't and they're still generally right up there with you in terms of standards of living, which suggests to me that it's the whole social approach of "Folkhemmet" rather than just Norway's fortune in having oil.

Speaking of which I couldn't have been the only free liver here who looked on with absolute horror at what the Scots have gone and done to alcohol prices. I do not even drink that much, certainly not that gut rot, but I could feel my teenage under-age drinking self shudder inside. 

29 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Actually, when taking our wages into account, the beer here is not that expensive any more. Some types of beer is now cheaper than sodas. There was this study recently where they looked at the costs of drugs, alcohol and hookers, as a function of salaries, and having a weekend party involving all three was pretty inexpensive in Norway, I think we came out on top three.

Edited by SoulMonster

26 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I know you're kinda joking but I've had people legitimately try to use that as an argument against Social Democracy as a system. I mean, is that really that important when compared to making a meaningful reduction in the number of kids growing up in poverty, the number of homeless people, improving general public wellbeing and having a more socially cohesive and less hierarchical society...

@SoulMonster, I know the oil is a boon that Norway enjoys but Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Iceland don't and they're still generally right up there with you in terms of standards of living, which suggests to me that it's the whole social approach of "Folkhemmet" rather than just Norway's fortune in having oil.

Pssst! I think that Scandinavian style social democracy is the best form of governance yet implemented. Doesn’t mean I’m happy about paying a tenner a pint though. 😂

36 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Speaking of which I couldn't have been the only free liver here who looked on with absolute horror at what the Scots have gone and done to alcohol prices. I do not even drink that much, certainly not that gut rot, but I could feel my teenage under-age drinking self shudder inside. 

Go on...?

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Go on...?

You really don't watch the news, do you? The Jocks have taxed the heck out of cheap booze to curb binge drinking. A whole generation of young Scotsmen will be robbed-of sitting on street corners vomiting up dodgy cider. 

All the reckless fun is being sucked out of modern living by a bunch of hatchet faced lefty wankers. 

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You really don't watch the news, do you? The Jocks have taxed the heck out of cheap booze to curb binge drinking. A whole generation of young Scotsmen will be robbed-of sitting on street corners vomiting up dodgy cider. 

All the reckless fun is being sucked out of modern living by a bunch of hatchet faced lefty wankers. 

In fairness to the government, Buckfast hasn't gone up by a penny. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

Sure, which is why I am a bit humble when it comes to Norway -- we've been lucky, Sweden, Finland and Denmark have been good.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

See what I mean? As Yankyfied as Uncle Sam himself.

What do you call it? I spend more time in the US than in the UK so I tend to pick more up of their vocabulary.