British Politics

Gracii Guns

26 minutes ago, Padme said:

She should've said that from day one! 

See I don't think that's the case. I think she'd do whatever it is to save her job. I mean she spent years going on about the EU just as much as the other brexitteers just like Cameroon prior to the referendum, but didn't do much during that campaign. I reckon she stayed quiet, because she knew Boris had successfully fucked Cameron regardless of the result and that she was best placed just saying nothing. She backed remain, assuming it'd win... but she said very little during the campaign as not to damage herself.

That's who May was, but she cut her hair and apparently the public thought she was a different person.

When the Mail ect. start branding her a traitor soon, just remember she was on their side just a few years ago. She's doomed, but fortunately so is Boris. 

Edited by AtariLegend

41 minutes ago, Padme said:

It seems May wants soft Brexit. She should've said that from day one! Instead the UK Government has been flip flopping for two years. The best way to go is no Brexit at all. Nobody voted for Farage to be Prime Minister. Him and his party created this mess. Now they can't be found anywhere. Those who voted for Brexit just bought some populist bollocks

Anything to be re-elected. Before the vote the remain side didn’t really explain what would happen. 

But I know of lawyers and accountants voting leave because they want to make their own rules. But they lobbied the immigration vote and small business owners. Who they are now throwing under the bus so they can do a deal with EU. 

They potentially knew from the beginning that a hard brexit was insane. But they’ve moved it their way. Everything in the UK is about growing the state, too uch money leaving and no justification internally to get the money coming in. The freeloaders are out to get the money! 

Edited by wasted

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I must say, I do love it when everything goes tits up :lol:

It’s always tits up, but this is like getting hit by a car door as you get up. 

32 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Anarchy in the U.K. :blink:

If only, this is just state power. 

2 hours ago, wasted said:

Before the vote the remain side didn’t really explain what would happen. 

I think they didn't know a lot of things (Neither the Leave side for that matter) For example the N.I. border situation or the 50 billion that needed to be paid for leaving. Companies and banks located in the UK willing to move to other EU countries. And the tariff of imported goods from EU as a no member. People like May and Boris thought it would be easy to persuade other countries like Canada or Australia to make trade deals with the UK. And that wasn't the case. Because those places have other priorities. Also they thought that Brexit could create a domino effect in other EU countries. And it didn't happen despite the rise of far right/Euroeceptic parties.

I think some of you need to reeducate yourself on how political parties operate. Some of the most ardent Europhiles for instance lie in the ranks of the Conservative Party. May voted remain. Why would anyone expect her to deliver a ''hard Brexit'' then? It is obvious she'd aim for a compromise (of sorts)? 

3 hours ago, wasted said:

Before the vote the remain side didn’t really explain what would happen. 

Errr, that's because they were voting to remain. 

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Padme said:

I think they didn't know a lot of things (Neither the Leave side for that matter) For example the N.I. border situation or the 50 billion that needed to be paid for leaving. Companies and banks located in the UK willing to move to other EU countries. And the tariff of imported goods from EU as a no member. People like May and Boris thought it would be easy to persuade other countries like Canada or Australia to make trade deals with the UK. And that wasn't the case. Because those places have other priorities. Also they thought that Brexit could create a domino effect in other EU countries. And it didn't happen despite the rise of far right/Euroeceptic parties.

My guess is they knew that it was impossible to implement but they want more power back from Brussels. They used immigration or other things to get the vote knowing that all they wanted was to line the pockets of the state and therefore themselves. Why would any government put the people first, that never happens. It’s pretty much the same as Trump, no war, oh ok war etc. 

45 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Errr, that's because they were voting to remain. 

They should have explained what would happen if you leave, how hard it would be to survive. Just some worst case scenarios. They were like Hilary they had no campaign. They just said more of the same. Most run on change. Even Bush ran on change. It was only after they lost they start talking about it. 

Calling leavers racist isn’t about remain either. It’s just their campaign focused on certain things. 

But now it seems obvious what they wanted, and what they didn’t  real care about. 

Edited by wasted

51 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I think some of you need to reeducate yourself on how political parties operate. Some of the most ardent Europhiles for instance lie in the ranks of the Conservative Party. May voted remain. Why would anyone expect her to deliver a ''hard Brexit'' then? It is obvious she'd aim for a compromise (of sorts)? 

Probably but her line was brexit means brexit, but it dragged on and on. Then mid WC they compromise hard when we are distracted by Fifa the CIA of the EU. 

UK will never be a real country ever again, they’ll never pay back that debt by becoming a productive country. They are just there to borrow money to pay for all the casualties of American empire. 

It’s coming home. 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I wasn't expecting hard Brexit. But if she didn't want it. Why she decided to bring back Boris and Davis? Remember that those two quit after Cameron did. Gove was also gone. Then they decided to joined May's cabinet

1 hour ago, wasted said:

My guess is they knew that it was impossible to implement but they want more power back from Brussels. They used immigration or other things to get the vote knowing that all they wanted was to line the pockets of the state and therefore themselves. Why would any government put the people first, that never happens. It’s pretty much the same as Trump, no war, oh ok war etc. 

No, UKIP scared the living shit out of Cameron and most of the Tories. They wanted UKIP voters on their side. Tories decided to join the Brexit bandwagon for that reason. They wanted to fight a populist party with populism. They wanted to take power away from UKIP not from Brussels, Berlin or Paris. The main reason why Cameron was reelected was because he promised the referendum.

21 minutes ago, Padme said:

I wasn't expecting hard Brexit. But if she didn't want it. Why she decided to bring back Boris and Davis? Remember that those two quit after Cameron did. Gove was also gone. Then they decided to joined May's cabinet

No, UKIP scared the living shit out of Cameron and most of the Tories. They wanted UKIP voters on their side. Tories decided to join the Brexit bandwagon for that reason. They wanted to fight a populist party with populism. They wanted to take power away from UKIP not from Brussels, Berlin or Paris. The main reason why Cameron was reelected was because he promised the referendum.

Is it possibly a delay tactic? Like you win what you can, how you can? Like they used the liberals to have that joint government. Then used Ukip like Trump used Alt right to get elected. Then once you have power they do what they prefer. 

So from a broader perspective there is this feeling that UK is pretty much EU’s slave. There are more extreme views mixed with some more understanable elements, so take some power back but hold off on anything too extreme. Because it seems like the center right who might have voted Tory/Brexit might actually not do that again because hard brexit would be a disaster quickly, so Labour would win next. So they fudge it and compromise, try to offer people some false hopes. Like Trump does. But nothing changes. But the elites have a little more power and influence to make money for themselves. 

Edited by wasted

2 hours ago, Padme said:

It is fairly obvious why: to create a cabinet that represents to divergence of (Tory) opinion. If May had simply flooded the cabinet with Europhiles something like this would have happened earlier, the Euroskeptics scenting an abandonment of European withdrawal, the public scenting abandonment of the outcome of the referendum. Equally the reverse is true and by including (moderate) Europhiles she was trying to carry a cabinet along on the common market idea.

It was obvious from the beginning of May's ministry that a ''remain'' Prime Minister would seek a middle ground between the two extremes.

2 hours ago, Padme said:

This is blatantly untrue. Whilst the Conservative Party were officially neutral, 57% of Conservative MPs voted remain - including present Prime Minister David Cameron and future Prime Minister Theresa May! You must know that the Tories have been locked in their own civil war on Europe for the majority of the last fifty years? As I said, some of the staunchest Europhiles are Conservatives. 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

This is blatantly untrue. Whilst the Conservative Party were officially neutral, 57% of Conservative MPs voted remain - including present Prime Minister David Cameron and future Prime Minister Theresa May! You must know that the Tories have been locked in their own civil war on Europe for the majority of the last fifty years? As I said, some of the staunchest Europhiles are Conservatives. 

What Cameron and May voted for is irrelevant really. All that matters is they both (Cameron especially) consented to putting the referendum in the 2015 manifesto, and that makes what she says true. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Graeme said:

What Cameron and May voted for is irrelevant really. All that matters is they both (Cameron especially) consented to putting the referendum in the 2015 manifesto, and that makes what she says true. 

The Conservative Government (but the use of ''Conservatives'' in toto is misleading) and then not for the reasons stated above but to gain approval for renegotiation. The actual leave campaign was cross-party. 

6 hours ago, Graeme said:

Thank you!!! :headbang:

9 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

I'm really worried this hope for the end of May, might backfire with a PM Boris or Jacob Reese Mogg without an election.

Funny, she told Tories MP that the current division within the party could end up with Corbyn as new PM

:lol:

1 hour ago, wasted said:

True if there is no brexit, Labour win next election. 

But UK is still bankrupt. 

Even with Brexit they can win. This Government is a mess. And if Bexit becomes a worst a mess than it already is. Labour is willing to call for a second referendum. BUT it is their last resort.

11 minutes ago, Padme said:

Even with Brexit they can win. This Government is a mess. And if Bexit becomes a worst a mess than it already is. Labour is willing to call for a second referendum. BUT it is their last resort.

But UK is still in massive debt and borrows money to give welfare. That isn’t going to change. Hard brexit is a hail mary. But people in

the UK have no real idea about working for profit. All I hear on radio is wanting more funding. Which means everyone is kind of resigned to begging off the government. 

2 hours ago, wasted said:

But UK is still in massive debt and borrows money to give welfare. That isn’t going to change. Hard brexit is a hail mary. But people in

the UK have no real idea about working for profit. All I hear on radio is wanting more funding. Which means everyone is kind of resigned to begging off the government. 

Ok, then why spend 50 billion on EU exit bill?