British Politics

Gracii Guns

59 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

Anyone got any views on Paisley Jr. retaining his seat, after the petition to oust him failed? 

There was zero chance of him losing his seat anyway even if a by-election happened.

For context his father was a symbol of the protestant side of the protestant vs. catholic politics that define this part of the country. Despite what you might see on TV, the average voter for DUP/Sinn Féin doesn't vote for either side because of their political views or character. It's simply to keep the other side out. It's also one of the safest seats in the UK realistically. 

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

I've lived in Canada briefly. It was alot better than the UK in every way, except the TV had way too many adverts.

I think your right Canada is somewhere I’d consider. Isn’t it kind of British?

Lifestyle and general feeling maybe. Although doesn’t it get like -20 in the winter. No football? But it’s more rock. UK is poptastic. 

I’m talking overall,  healthcare, education, welfare, jobs, rights, UK is safe and they look after you. I think Canada is similar but it’s bigger.

Culture wise maybe not all that but London has to be better than Canada. Like of the BBC, Oxford and Cambridge universities, the financial shit in London. 

I’ll call it a draw. But nowhere else would I say just go you’ll be alright. UK might be going tits up though, maybe run to Canada is a better option. 

9 hours ago, wasted said:

I think your right Canada is somewhere I’d consider. Isn’t it kind of British?

Lifestyle and general feeling maybe. Although doesn’t it get like -20 in the winter. No football? But it’s more rock. UK is poptastic. 

I’m talking overall,  healthcare, education, welfare, jobs, rights, UK is safe and they look after you. I think Canada is similar but it’s bigger.

Culture wise maybe not all that but London has to be better than Canada. Like of the BBC, Oxford and Cambridge universities, the financial shit in London. 

I’ll call it a draw. But nowhere else would I say just go you’ll be alright. UK might be going tits up though, maybe run to Canada is a better option. 

Canada is where the British patriots went in North America after American War of Independence, and still part of Commonwealth, so probably the most British country outside UK. 

French were also there of course, and some parts still very French: Quebec has a history of seeking French independence, with French the first language. 

I've only been to Vancouver, which was really nice. Weather there is also quite British. Gets colder further north and east. We're at about the same latitude, but Britain gets warmed by the Atlantic gulf stream. 

I don't know if you'd get benefits in Canada, or maybe even a work visa, as I got for Australia in 1989, and I think you still can, if right age - under 25 it was then I think.

I think that unless you've got a job, or are looking to work hard, or desperate to see other places, you're better off staying in U.K., and your locality in the U.K.

Life's usually easier where you are, and used to being, unless you've got some local troubles, and need to get away! 

51 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Everywheres a shithole to a point and everywhere has things about it that are plus points.  The trick is to not expect too much from places and instead expect more from yourself, do more wherever you’re at, enjoy yourself, have a giggle.  Thats the way I look at it.

That is actually precisely how I approached Birmingham.

Just now, Len Cnut said:

The only way to approach Birmingham is wait til you're facing it then reverse.

It does help that you basically hardly are present in a place when you are there for cricket, being that cricket lasts 11:00am - 6:30pm four days in a row (5 for test matches). 

But you have to approach the street theatre, smack heads zonked out on the main thoroughfare, religious fanatic street preachers, etc., with some degree of humour.

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It does help that you basically hardly are present in a place when you are there for cricket, being that cricket lasts 11:00am - 6:30pm four days in a row (5 for test matches). 

But you have to approach the street theatre, smack heads zonked out on the main thoroughfare, religious fanatic street preachers, etc., with some degree of humour.

I fuckin' hate Birmingham, its a fuckin' dump.  Example of what happens when you remove industry from British towns.  They try to posh em up and modernise them but all that does is take away even the sort of charm that even a dump has and give them this odd new town sort of feel.  Like Milton Keynes or something.  At least post industrial Manchester gave you good music.

Edited by Len Cnut

Just now, Len Cnut said:

I fuckin' hate Birmingham, its a fuckin' dump.  Example of what happens when you remove industry from British towns.  They try to posh em up and modernise them but all that does is take away even the sort of charm that even a dump has and give them this odd new town sort of feel.  Like Milton Keynes or something. 

I thought it would be just your sort of place being that it is a bit gangsta, bit street. Lot of rapper looking people around. 

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I thought it would be just your sort of place being that it is a bit gangsta, bit street. Lot of rapper looking people around. 

Nobody from shitholes likes shitholes, its only people from the outside that look in (some of em anyway) goin' 'oh look how vibrant and colourful Brixton is', yeah, talk to me about that when some twat pulls a fuckin' blade on you on Mervan Road. 

Just now, Len Cnut said:

Nobody from shitholes likes shitholes, its only people from the outside that look in (some of em anyway) goin' 'oh look how vibrant and colourful Brixton is', yeah, talk to me about that when some twat pulls a fuckin' blade on you on Mervan Road. 

I was on the phone somewhere and a guy in dreadlocks came within my general vicinity and started and imprompt rapping. Street man?

Then there was a ISIS recruitment sergeant right next to the Bull Ring, blatant, blasting out Arabic calls to prayer on a ghetto blaster. A guy on New Street was rapping to Jesus. What is it with Birmingham and street religious-eccentrics/nutters? Soul and Dazey would love the place haha.

I was on the phone somewhere and a guy in dreadlocks came within my general vicinity and started and imprompt rapping. Street man?

Perhaps he mistook you for Jay Z?  I mean its an easy mistake to make :lol:

A guy on New Street was rapping to Jesus.

To Jesus?  What, was he there as well? :lol:

4 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Not really that was Cameron's fault gave people a choice without having a plan for if it doesn't swing his way 

True he promised it to get elected. But nige and boris were active in the campaign. Cameron didn’t think anyone would go for it. 

7 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

He was an idiot to think that I personally voted to leave I stupidly fought the Government would have a plan in place 

True the details weren’t really discussed. May is trying to remain in a way. Nigel would just do a no deal.

1 hour ago, lukepowell1988 said:

I am usually a UKIP voter but in all honesty if a snap election was called i would vote labour 

The UKIP is pretty much dead now. I don't know why anyone would vote UKIP. What was their plan? Leave the EU and everything will be fine, really? Fairy tales are ok for kids only. There is no magic solution.  I thought UK citizens were smart enough to see that

I lean center left. But I don't know where Labour is going.  They have the Corbyn fans, the Blair fans, the Leave fans and the Remain fans. How can they square that circle?

2 hours ago, Padme said:

I lean center left. But I don't know where Labour is going.  They have the Corbyn fans, the Blair fans, the Leave fans and the Remain fans. How can they square that circle?

It looks they are going to end up backing a 2nd referendum by default after a motion passed at the conference.

It's about time.

*In before someone in the shadow cabinet immediately contradicts it*