British Politics

Gracii Guns

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

It seems a bit hypocritical to me. 

At least Soul seems happy!

If you can say you hate Junker, Merkel and other EU leaders. Why shouldn't I have the right to to say what I think about Farage, Boris or others?

1 minute ago, Padme said:

If you can say you hate Junker, Merkel and other EU leaders. Why shouldn't I have the right to to say what I think about Farage, Boris or others?

Plus you're right about them. 

I like Merkel. Wish she was our Prime Minister. 

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Plus you're right about them. 

I like Merkel. Wish she was our Prime Minister. 

Thank you I really appreciate that. But this is not about me, Farage or Merkel. I'm afraid those people who voted Leave believe in lies. On top of that I'm afraid they believe in Sata Claus. There is no easy or magic solution for farmers, fishermen or steel workers. The world is changing fast. So people need to change fast. What is trending now is technology. So towns and their local leaders have to come with new ideas to put technology as their main source of development. Sure there can other activites. But those activities are going to have just a supporting role. Brexit, tariffs, protectionism won't fix anything. Least of all far right ideology. History shows those ideas bring nothing but hate and destruction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Padme said:

Ridiculous.

I don't believe I have ever expressed an opinion about the woman, although I think I once compared her to Rosa Klebb from From Russia With Love haha. I certainly haven't expressed anything tantamount to hate.

And Junker is actually my favourite EU leader: permanently sozzled and spaghetti arms around ladies haha. He is like the drunk uncle at Christmas.

Edited by DieselDaisy

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

She's right though. The problem with your way of thinking on this is that the issues you have with the EU are historical and that leaving won't rectify the situation.

It's a case of better to be inside the tent pissing out than vice versa surely?

Brexit isn't suddenly going to put 50% on a nurses salary and bring back the fishing industry. What it will likely do is make the country poorer thus shrinking the pot from which we would draw resources to offer decent wage rises. The reason we have so much foreign labour in the health service is because we can't recruit enough domestic talent at the going rate. Post Brexit that is unlikely to change and we'll simply find ourselves with an even more severe shortage of labour and less cash to throw at the problem.

It's all a load of willy waving Little Englander mentality in which it doesn't matter if we're worse off because most of those who voted leave had fuck all to begin with. We're all in the shit together now (apart from the ruling classes and bankers who stand to make a killing) but at least we stuck it to Johnny Foreigner eh? 

Nope. Fishing industry still non-existent last I checked.

And I didn't blame nurse's salaries on the EU. I blamed the problems with the NHS including salaries on successive British governments. It was you who brought up a causal relationship between the NHS and EU membership remember - I find the two unrelated? 

You EU types need reading comprehension skills!

Edited by DieselDaisy

46 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Nope. Fishing industry still non-existent last I checked.

My point being that your grudge with the EU seems to stem from past issues that predate the EU itself (founded 1993). I'm simply asking how exactly you think leaving is likely to benefit us? From your points of reference you imply that a vote to leave would go some way to resolving the issues that you mention yet give no explanation as to how that may occur.

Europe destroyed our fishing industry back in the 70's therefore leaving the EU in 2018 is surely a good thing?

Edited by Dazey

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

So you don't even live here yet you are hypocritical to lecture me on the joys of the European Union, whilst I have to live with the absolute destruction caused by that said organisation (i.e. to our fisheries)? 

I'd also just like to point out that you're not having to live with shit regarding the collapse of the fishing industry unless you're well into your 60's or 70's.

Edited by Dazey

Ridiculous.

I don't believe I have ever expressed an opinion about the woman, although I think I once compared her to Rosa Klebb from From Russia With Love haha. I certainly haven't expressed anything tantamount to hate.

And Junker is actually my favourite EU leader: permanently sozzled and spaghetti arms around ladies haha. He is like the drunk uncle at Christmas.

You called Junker and other EU leaders unelected bureaucrats who had no bussiness shaping EU policies for all EU members

55 minutes ago, Dazey said:

My point being that your grudge with the EU seems to stem from past issues that predate the EU itself (founded 1993). I'm simply asking how exactly you think leaving is likely to benefit us? From your points of reference you imply that a vote to leave would go some way to resolving the issues that you mention yet give no explanation as to how that may occur.

Europe destroyed our fishing industry back in the 70's therefore leaving the EU in 2018 is surely a good thing?

They think with Brexit they take back control of the fishing industry

34 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I'm sure Iceland will have something to say about that since it's their waters where all the fish are.

I don't know what rules stipulated before 1972 and before EU as we know it was born. See, the idea of Brexit is to go back to Beatles mania days 

2 hours ago, Padme said:

I don't know what rules stipulated before 1972 and before EU as we know it was born. See, the idea of Brexit is to go back to Beatles mania days 

But that's the thing with Diesel, he wants to live in the past. He has this extreme romantized perspective of the before. He even once argued that life was better in the Roman Empire. 

10 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

But that's the thing with Diesel, he wants to live in the past. He has this extreme romantized perspective of the before. He even once argued that life was better in the Roman Empire. 

Well they did give us the aquaduct! 

And the sanitation!

And the roads...

Medicine... Education... Health...

And the wine...

Public baths!

And it's safe to walk in the streets at night now.

They certainly know how to keep order... let's face it, they're the only ones who could in a place like this.
... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?

:lol: 

Edited by Dazey
  • Haha 3

I think you underestimate the devastation caused to entire coastal communities by the EU. This was an entire industry, much like coal mining, which was destroyed; employment rates quadrupled; businesses closed; towns deteriorated to become ''ghost towns'' - the majority of these areas have never recovered. And you people cite reasons such as ''racism'' or ''Brexiteer lies'' to wonder why 51.89 % voted to leave (NB., I am in the majority - it is your viewpoint which was defeated by plebiscite). There is no way places like this would choose to remain - it would be like a Jew voting NSDAP. You ridicule my opinion but I have merely relayed the facts of the place I live in. People here are not concerned about ''diversity'', coffee and skinny jeans. Our communication with the metropole (which would be Newcastle) is poor. 

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

I believe my argument is pertinent to a common economic malaise. Stop being a little school ground - ''he says this, she says that'' - idiot Soul. Your country wisely opted to remain outside the EU by 52.2%.

4 hours ago, Padme said:

You called Junker and other EU leaders unelected bureaucrats who had no bussiness shaping EU policies for all EU members

That is a bit different from ''hate'', and besides Merkel isn't even EU!

Edited by DieselDaisy

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I think you underestimate the devastation caused to entire coastal communities by the EU. This was an entire industry, much like coal mining, which was destroyed; employment rates quadrupled; businesses closed; towns deteriorated to become ''ghost towns'' - the majority of these areas have never recovered. And you people cite reasons such as ''racism'' or ''Brexiteer lies'' to wonder why 51.89 % voted to leave (NB., I am in the majority - it is your viewpoint which was defeated by plebiscite). There is no way places like this would choose to remain - it would be like a Jew voting NSDAP. You ridicule my opinion buy I have merely relayed the facts of the place I live in. People here are not concerned about ''diversity'', coffee and skinny jeans. Our communication with the metropole (which would be Newcastle) is poor. 

I believe my argument is pertinent to a common economic malaise. Stop being a little school ground - ''he says this, she says that'' - idiot Soul. Your country wisely chose to remain outside the EU.

That is a bit different from ''hate'', and besides Merkel isn't even EU!

Nobody underestimate the devastation. But Brexit is not a magic trick that will change things for the better. You mentioned coal. We are in the era of clean energy. So yes, the days of coal are numbered with or without Brexit. You blame the EU for the devastation of costal and coal communities. When actually progress and a new era are to blame, not the EU. Those communities need to move into the 21st century. They should join clean energy business. They should move to other activities like electric cars, electric skateboars, scooters and everything that functions with clean energy. Or join to the service sector. Everything withing the service sectors is creating jobs, Those communities need to reinvent themselves. And they need their leaders to come up with new ideas. They can still keep a little bit of the old fishing industry or coal mining going. But that shouldn't be the only thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Padme said:

Nobody underestimate the devastation. But Brexit is not a magic trick that will change things for the better. You mentioned coal. We are in the era of clean energy. So yes, the days of coal are numbered with or without Brexit. You blame the EU for the devastation of costal and coal communities. When actually progress and a new era are to blame, not the EU. Those communities need to move into the 21st century. They should join clean energy business. They should move to other activities like electric cars, electric skateboars, scooters and everything that functions with clean energy. Or join to the service sector. Everything withing the service sectors is creating jobs, Those communities need to reinvent themselves. And they need their leaders to come up with new ideas. They can still keep a little bit of the old fishing industry or coal mining going. But that shouldn't be the only thing.

Except I didn't blame the EU for the destruction of mining communities!!!

(I mean your point is a valid one for mining but not for fishing).

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Except I didn't blame the EU for the destruction of mining communities!!!

(I mean your point is a valid one for mining but not for fishing).

It is valid for fishing. I give you an example. You said the finishing industry is gone. Then build the museum of old fishing industry.Invite Prince Harry to promote it. Make it tourist attraction. During the Brexit campaign those fishermen sail across Thames River with Farage playing a starring role. Instead of Farage get tourists and a tour guide explaning the history of the town and good old days of fishing industry. Also get a Google office, some Amazon warehouse or some start up or whatever is trending these days. If there is still some room for a real fishing industry. It makes it even better.

26 minutes ago, Padme said:

It is valid for fishing. I give you an example. You said the finishing industry is gone. Then build the museum of old fishing industry.Invite Prince Harry to promote it. Make it tourist attraction. During the Brexit campaign those fishermen sail across Thames River with Farage playing a starring role. Instead of Farage get tourists and a tour guide explaning the history of the town and good old days of fishing industry. Also get a Google office, some Amazon warehouse or some start up or whatever is trending these days. If there is still some room for a real fishing industry. It makes it even better.

What a load of patronising drivel. You honestly still expect people in coastal ghost towns to vote EU when the very legislation which hammered them still exists and still restricts their last remaining fisherman to horrific quotas? 

By your same logic the Scots and North of England should suddenly start voting Tory again: ''yes, they killed off our industries, chucked us in unemployment, but let by gones be by gones in the interests of progressiveness - yes?''. 

What a load of patronising drivel. You honestly still expect people in coastal ghost towns to vote EU when the very legislation which hammered them still exists and still restricts their last remaining fisherman to horrific quotas? 

By your same logic the Scots and North of England should suddenly start voting Tory again: ''yes, they killed off our industries, chucked us in unemployment, but let by gones be by gones in the interests of progressiveness - yes?''. 

I'm not talking about a vote for or against anything. I'm talking about change. If the fishing industry is gone. Then come up with something else. 

On 5/17/2017 at 1:04 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Why are we discussing the empire? It is completely irrelevant (beyond maintaining the sovereign dignity of extent crown dependencies). I do not believe there is a single leave voter who voted leave based upon the premise that he could suddenly, 'dust off the olde pith and redcoat, invade Zululand - ''to teach the 'orrible little bliters a good does of the three C's''.'!

13 hours ago, Dazey said:

Life of Brian was released on the day I was born. 17th August 1979. I'll always be proud of that. :lol:

What? proud of being an old cunt?😁

Edited by spunko12345
Added smile to lessen the harshness of calling him a cunt. He is though.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3