British Politics

Gracii Guns

1 hour ago, Padme said:

The problem with both private and public own railway sistem is very expensive tickets and bad service. 

Unless you take most of Europe as an example where rail travel is incredibly cheap and generally pretty efficient.

14 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Chope fillibusters/blocks things all the time, this is actually pretty low on the list of his antics even in recent years. Only difference this time is it got some air time, it'll be forgot by Sunday.

I gather that these Private Member’s bills only come around for the individual once every several years. So now it’s blocked, it will require another Lord to propose it, unless an MP does. 

The thing I’m fuming at though, is that it’s probably raised awareness that taking a photo of a woman’s crotch isn’t illegal.

Like rape, upskirting isn’t about sex, it’s about power. I sincerely hope that schools are teaching more effectively about these topics than they did when I was there. 

It was what I thought it was which was procedure, so the bill is debated properly - Chope says he supports prohibiting blokes from taking pictures of women's knickers.

He has a fair point. You wouldn't want a bill rushed through Parliament that had been constructed on a beer mat.

The lefty press went ballistic though and it generated into a storm in a tea cup.

10 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It was what I thought it was which was procedure, so the bill is debated properly - Chope says he supports prohibiting blokes from taking pictures of women's knickers.

He has a fair point. You wouldn't want a bill rushed through Parliament that had been constructed on a beer mat.

The lefty press went ballistic though and it generated into a storm in a tea cup.

Nah, Chope does this all the time.

Guy has pretty nasty views, just trying to save face since this got air time. Always struck me as the type to probably have a camera himself under his secretary's desk.

Just want to say on Corbyn, I've come around now to the idea that he needs to go. I was stuck for ages on the idea, that he'd just be replaced by a blaritie who's little different from the Tories except when it comes to Europe. However Brexit is most important issue for generations. 

Corbyn's ordering people to abstain and saying one thing one minute, then another the next was okay for a few months. I believe when he say's he voted remain, but I don't believe he has a fucking clue. It's been years now, time's almost up and most of the country hates the fucking Tories, but they're ahead in the polls. It's not the policies, it's the incompetence. Giving a speech at Glastonberry and getting people to chant your name just feels like a distraction now.

5 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Nah, Chope does this all the time.

Guy has pretty nasty views, just trying to save face since this got air time. Always struck me as the type to probably have a camera himself under his secretary's desk.

Just want to say on Corbyn, I've come around now to the idea that he needs to go. I was stuck for ages on the idea, that he'd just be replaced by a blaritie who's little different from the Tories except when it comes to Europe. However Brexit is most important issue for generations. 

Corbyn's ordering people to abstain and saying one thing one minute, then another the next was okay for a few months. I believe when he say's he voted remain, but I don't believe he has a fucking clue. It's been years now, time's almost up and most of the country hates the fucking Tories, but they're ahead in the polls. It's not the policies, it's the incompetence. Giving a speech at Glastonberry and getting people to chant your name just feels like a distraction now.

Him being a reactionary still does not remove the point that you wouldn't want a rushed bill. It will be passed in due course. 

Corbyn is fundamentally anti-EU. I've been saying this stuff to you people for ages now. The EU represents virtually everything he hates, centrist (politically), corporate, anti-union. 

The worship for Corbyn from pro-EU millennial lefties is truly bizarre.

PS

Chope's office door,

_102092579_mediaitem102092578.jpg

Edited by DieselDaisy

@DieselDaisy I'm asking this for education, not really to prove a point. As a historian, you know yourself that in politics, as one side of the spectrum becomes more extreme, the counterpart responds accordingly. 

We have a firmly right-wing government in the UK. The Labour Party has moved increasingly left, as well as the Greens growing rapidly in numbers. Why are you so surprised at Jeremy Corbyn's popularity? I'm certainly more of a Blairite. But I accept that in a decade's time, it's likely I'll get a type of government I like.  Is your disdain because he's a Brexiteer who has a massive appeal amongst Remainers? We all need a leader of some sort. 

22 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

How much debate do you really need to conclude that taking minge pictures without permission is bad?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

@DieselDaisy I'm asking this for education, not really to prove a point. As a historian, you know yourself that in politics, as one side of the spectrum becomes more extreme, the counterpart responds accordingly. 

We have a firmly right-wing government in the UK. The Labour Party has moved increasingly left, as well as the Greens growing rapidly in numbers. Why are you so surprised at Jeremy Corbyn's popularity? I'm certainly more of a Blairite. But I accept that in a decade's time, it's likely I'll get a type of government I like.  Is your disdain because he's a Brexiteer who has a massive appeal amongst Remainers? We all need a leader of some sort. 

My disdain over him is that he is a politician haha.

I'm surprised that people, overwhelmingly young and idealistic, seem to be crowning somebody like Corbyn, a Bennite, as a champion against EU withdrawal/Toryism. It is rather like British Asians anointing Tommy Robinson as they prophet against anti-Islam/racist behaviour!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

"MINGE PICS BAD" "NO MINGE PICS GOOD"

Not exactly rocket surgery is it?

For a government minister?

The law has to stand up in a court of law. You wouldn't want a scenario where there is some loop hole in vaguely worded legislation, or for that matter a scenario in which anyone brandishing a phone within the proximity of a scantly dressed female ends up in prison and on a sexual offenders' register.

What is the problem anyhow? It'll be passed in due course. Why the urgency? Someone trying to take a photo of you in your undies?

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

For a government minister?

The law has to stand up in a court of law. You wouldn't want a scenario where there is some loop hole in vaguely worded legislation, or for that matter a scenario in which anyone brandishing a phone within the proximity of a scantly dressed female ends up in prison and on a sexual offenders' register.

What is the problem anyhow? It'll be passed in due course. Why the urgency? Someone trying to take a photo of you in your undies?

I dunno. Can you get a wide angle lens on an iPhone? :lol: 

• 3 weeks later...

So the hyena's are after May yet again. Davis has resigned on faux principle apparently.

If this finally means a snap election that the Tories lose, I'm okay if England win the world cup this week.

That said she'll probably keep going.

Edited by AtariLegend

10 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

So the hyena's are after May yet again. Davis has resigned on faux principle apparently.

If this finally means a snap election that the Tories lose, I'm okay if England win the world cup this week.

That said she'll probably keep going.

I read a little bit about Davis steping down. But I don't understand what his problem is

28 minutes ago, Padme said:

I read a little bit about Davis steping down. But I don't understand what his problem is

His job involved showing up to regular meetings with Barnier in Brussels for negotiations without any papers and apparently without having any clue what's going on. Then he'd sell it to the public that he was the brexit bulldog, when he was really just fucking clueless and rubbish at his job.

Not shocked that Raab has replaced him. Raab incase you don't know him, is the contrarian who normally looks like his gag reflex is being induced when he encounters someone who's working class.

There's 317 Tory MPs, but it's always the same small group of nutters every time and has been for years.

49 minutes ago, Padme said:

He basically wanted a Brexit that totally destroyed the UK economy as opposed to the deal that Theresa May is aiming for which will simply leave it on life support.

Edited by Dazey

31 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

His job involved showing up to regular meetings with Barnier in Brussels for negotiations without any papers and apparently without having any clue what's going on. Then he'd sell it to the public that he was the brexit bulldog, when he was really just fucking clueless and rubbish at his job.

Not shocked that Raab has replaced him. Raab incase you don't know him, is the contrarian who normally looks like his gag reflex is being induced when he encounters someone who's working class.

There's 317 Tory MPs, but it's always the same small group of nutters every time and has been for years.

So the Tories are a bunch of actors? They pretend to want Brexit when they don't? Even if they want it they don't have a clue about how it can be done?

27 minutes ago, Dazey said:

He basically wanted a Brexit that totally destroyed the UK economy as opposed to the deal that Theresa May is aiming for which will simply leave it on life support.

Destroyed the UK or life support. Between a rock and a hard place. I would like to see somebody with balls, brains and pragmatism saying that Brexit means Bollocks. It's an impossible task. Because of the very serious and risky consequences

Well I think they aren’t doing Brexit that will benefit the people, the lawyers and politicians just don’t want to pay the EU so much and want to write their own laws. Everything else will stay more or less the same? It seems more about controlling the beaucratic base and getting paid for that than getting better deal for british people. It was naive to think it would benefit anyone but the state I guess. 

Edited by wasted

12 minutes ago, wasted said:

Well I think they aren’t doing Brexit that will benefit the people, the lawyers and politicians just don’t want to pay the EU so much and want to write their own laws. Everything else will stay more or less the same? It seems more about controlling the beaucratic base and getting paid for that than getting better deal for british people. It was naive to think it would benefit anyone but the state I guess. 

It seems May wants soft Brexit. She should've said that from day one! Instead the UK Government has been flip flopping for two years. The best way to go is no Brexit at all. Nobody voted for Farage to be Prime Minister. Him and his party created this mess. Now they can't be found anywhere. Those who voted for Brexit just bought some populist bollocks