British Politics

Gracii Guns

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

What do you call it? I spend more time in the US than in the UK so I tend to pick more up of their vocabulary.

They haven't yet got a word for it where he comes from. Your average Geordie has no comprehension of any beverage other than the old Newky Broon! :lol: 

25 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

What do you call it? I spend more time in the US than in the UK so I tend to pick more up of their vocabulary.

(Fizzy) Pop. And it is ''mobile phone''. And that heat warming contraption you mentioned earlier is a ''kettle''.

20 minutes ago, Dazey said:

They haven't yet got a word for it where he comes from. Your average Geordie has no comprehension of any beverage other than the old Newky Broon! :lol: 

Only if it is out of a Geordie Schooner. 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

(Fizzy) Pop. And it is ''mobile phone''. And that heat warming contraption you mentioned earlier is a ''kettle''.

A pop? Sounds like something an American would say in the 50s :lol:

_Electrical_ kettle makes more sense, to separate it from the old iron kettle our grandmothers used.

Anyway, details, schmetails, I am not from your country.

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

You really don't watch the news, do you? The Jocks have taxed the heck out of cheap booze to curb binge drinking. A whole generation of young Scotsmen will be robbed-of sitting on street corners vomiting up dodgy cider. 

All the reckless fun is being sucked out of modern living by a bunch of hatchet faced lefty wankers. 

Oh thats alright, long as it dont effect nothing here.

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

A pop? Sounds like something an American would say in the 50s :lol:

_Electrical_ kettle makes more sense, to separate it from the old iron kettle our grandmothers used.

Anyway, details, schmetails, I am not from your country.

‘Details schmetails’, did you learn English off America TV by any chance? :lol:

I just call it by whatever the brand name is, or else ‘fizzy drink’.  How often do you need to refer to the broader category though?

Edited by Len Cnut

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Oh thats alright, long as it dont effect nothing here.

They might imitate here. The sugar tax was national wide and you could gun down a class of children and be treated with better dignity by the state than you would smoking a cigarette.

It'll be funny on the borders, near where I live, Jock ''neds'' descending on Berwick to stock up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What's all this about a No deal on Brexit leading to food shortages?

My real worry is that the gov has to finally admit we are broke and have to pay back the world bank the money we owe so they are shutting banks and anyone with over X in the bank they are taking half. 

Also this crime wave is that down to cuts in dole? I mean what's with all the knife attacks? 

Edited by wasted

10 hours ago, wasted said:

What's all this about a No deal on Brexit leading to food shortages?

My real worry is that the gov has to finally admit we are broke and have to pay back the world bank the money we owe so they are shutting banks and anyone with over X in the bank they are taking half. 

Also this crime wave is that down to cuts in dole? I mean what's with all the knife attacks? 

No, nobody is starving. I don't see a big food crisis, not yet

The Government and the opposition party are divided about Brexit. Different people come up with different plans. And nobody can agree on one plan that would make everyone happy. On top of that both parties are more concerned about grabbing UKIP voters than the well being of the majority of the British citizens

1 minute ago, Padme said:

No, nobody is starving. I don't see a big food crisis, not yet

The Government and the opposition party are divided about Brexit. Different people come up with different plans. And nobody can agree on one plan that would make everyone happy. On top of that both parties are more concerned about grabbing UKIP voters than the well being of the majority of the British citizens

Ah yes elections, how they decide what they say they will do.

i read there's an Armadeddon plan if there's a No deal on brexit. I don't really understand why they said that. 

Then there's this crime wave, is it gang related or just random stabbings? 

Is it safe to go to London or Birmingham? 

3 minutes ago, wasted said:

Ah yes elections, how they decide what they say they will do.

i read there's an Armadeddon plan if there's a No deal on brexit. I don't really understand why they said that. 

Then there's this crime wave, is it gang related or just random stabbings? 

Is it safe to go to London or Birmingham? 

Go to London and Birminghan. You're gonna find the answer yourself

Armageddon was 1940. So no, but it's gonna be very hard

10 minutes ago, Padme said:

Go to London and Birminghan. You're gonna find the answer yourself

Armageddon was 1940. So no, but it's gonna be very hard

You don't think the UK is bankrupt like Greece or Spain? I assume they are that's why they are pulling out of the EU, they borrow money to pay for everything - welfare, immigrants, military to protect europe, even pay to be in the EU, when does it end if not now? 

On 16/05/2018 at 1:17 PM, Padme said:

Taking back (public) control of East Coast Mainline

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-44142258

I was genuinely shocked at this. Firstly, because if memory serves me, this was a Labour idea. And secondly, I once met one of the major players in selling the East Coast mainline to Virgin (this would have been early 2015). At the time he said that the government simply couldn't afford it. 

I'm a regular user of the East Coast mainline, so I'm intrigued to see how shit it's going to get it will change under public ownership. I'm a big fan of nationalising services which are used by the general public. There are other things which I felt would be more urgent. These are: Getting all corporate hands out of the NHS. And, BT. Because we all use their phone lines for internet use. Finally, government investment in renewable energy, to the point where all council homes could run off renewables. (Now I've written this, you are definitely going to see this mentioned in the 2020 manifestos :lol:). 

But I am still far happier that my train ticket money is going to the country's piggy bank than Richard Branson's. 

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Unless you've joined the 21st century and have fibre optic broadband. :P 

I'm of the understanding that in most cases, it's fibre optic up to the cupboard in the street, then if you're with any company which uses BT's infrastructure, it is still copper wire from the cupboard to your hub. But what would I know, it's not like I'm an engineer, is it? B-)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

I'm of the understanding that in most cases, it's fibre optic up to the cupboard in the street, then if you're with any company which uses BT's infrastructure, it is still copper wire from the cupboard to your hub. But what would I know, it's not like I'm an engineer, is it? B-)

latest?cb=20110723092503

:lol: 

17 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

I was genuinely shocked at this. Firstly, because if memory serves me, this was a Labour idea. And secondly, I once met one of the major players in selling the East Coast mainline to Virgin (this would have been early 2015). At the time he said that the government simply couldn't afford it. 

I'm a regular user of the East Coast mainline, so I'm intrigued to see how shit it's going to get it will change under public ownership. I'm a big fan of nationalising services which are used by the general public. There are other things which I felt would be more urgent. These are: Getting all corporate hands out of the NHS. And, BT. Because we all use their phone lines for internet use. Finally, government investment in renewable energy, to the point where all council homes could run off renewables. (Now I've written this, you are definitely going to see this mentioned in the 2020 manifestos :lol:). 

But I am still far happier that my train ticket money is going to the country's piggy bank than Richard Branson's. 

The problem with both private and public own railway sistem is very expensive tickets and bad service. The "advantage" of private ownership means no waste of public money. The government says it's temporary. We have to wait and see what happens with Brexit. The same goes with phones, internet fibre optic, NHS and everything