Prostitute was sound checked in Bilbao

4 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

The difference is Chinese Democracy is a GNR record and this is GNR. So you have no point.

I don't care what songs they play personally, they could play the entire Chinese Democracy album, that's fine with me. I just find it interesting that Slash seems quite gung ho about playing these songs that audiences don't seem to care to listen to or see live. 

I will ask though, what about the Seeker? Does that belong in the setlist? It's not a Gun N' Roses song. By your own qualification of what amounts to allowed set list songs it wouldn't

Edited by cooker

I love CD, and I like the deep cuts off of it. I would even think it would be cool to hear something like TWAT, Sorry, Prostitute, etc at a show I was at wish Slash's take. However, this tour is not about CD. It should be more about the classic, real GNR material. This shows Axl IS calling the shots and the others are appeasing him. There hasn't been a new classic song added in over a year, but we now have 3 ChiDem songs added to the set. What does that tell you?

• Like 4

Prostitute would be cool. It's the kind of song where Axl sings like he means it, at least the last time they played it in Vegas. Plus it might actually suit Axl's current voice, because the song is meant to be sung with a clean voice and you just know that Axl's gonna sound great on those screaming parts.

• Like 1

Just now, cooker said:

I don't care what songs they play personally, they could play the entire Chinese Democracy album, that's fine with me. I just find it interesting that Slash seems quite gung ho about playing these songs that audiences don't seem to care to listen to or see live. 

Slash has always played everything from his catalog. If you see a Conspirators show, he will play new stuff and he'll play old GNR cuts and he'll play Snakepit and VR. So it's no surprise that Slash is playing on GNR songs now that he's back in GNR. It would actually be a surprise if they ignored it completely. You keep saying Slash is doing things he never said he'd do ... can you cite the sources? I don't recall Slash ever saying he wouldn't play Chinese stuff. In fact, Axl was going to invite him to play on a couple songs for the record if Slash recanted certain things he said publicly, IF I remember correctly.

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

I love CD, and I like the deep cuts off of it. I would even think it would be cool to hear something like TWAT, Sorry, Prostitute, etc at a show I was at wish Slash's take. However, this tour is not about CD. It should be more about the classic, real GNR material. This shows Axl IS calling the shots and the others are appeasing him. There hasn't been a new classic song added in over a year, but we now have 3 ChiDem songs added to the set. What does that tell you?

Actually, I believe Axl said Slash and Duff learned some Chinese songs without him ever even asking them about it.

And I also believe, correct me if I'm wrong, Axl said "Coma" is in the setlist at Slash's request. That's a song we only heard a few times EVER prior to this tour.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cooker said:

I will ask though, what about the Seeker? Does that belong in the setlist? It's not a Gun N' Roses song. By your own qualification of what amounts to allowed set list songs it wouldn't

I didn't say what is and isn't allowed. You're twisting my words. I was merely stating that it makes sense for GNR to play GNR songs. They soundchecked a VR song too. GNR have always played covers, in reference to "The Seeker."

1 minute ago, GnR Chris said:

Slash has always played everything from his catalog. If you see a Conspirators show, he will play new stuff and he'll play old GNR cuts and he'll play Snakepit and VR. So it's no surprise that Slash is playing on GNR songs now that he's back in GNR. It would actually be a surprise if they ignored it completely. You keep saying Slash is doing things he never said he'd do ... can you cite the sources? I don't recall Slash ever saying he wouldn't play Chinese stuff. In fact, Axl was going to invite him to play on a couple songs for the record if Slash recanted certain things he said publicly, IF I remember correctly.

Actually, I believe Axl said Slash and Duff learned some Chinese songs without him ever even asking them about it.

And I also believe, correct me if I'm wrong, Axl said "Coma" is in the setlist at Slash's request. That's a song we only heard a few times EVER prior to this tour.

I still don't believe Slash and Duff are just going to Axl, "hey, we want to do ANOTHER Chinese song!". Nope, not buying that. Axl's word isn't necessarily the gospel, I am sure he made it clear he wanted to put ChiDem songs in the set and Slash and Duff probably had/have a good attitude in regards to learning them. Not rocket science. Quit the "holier than thou attitude", too

• Like 3

Just now, ZoSoRose said:

I still don't believe Slash and Duff are just going to Axl, "hey, we want to do ANOTHER Chinese song!". Nope, not buying that. Axl's word isn't necessarily the gospel, I am sure he made it clear he wanted to put ChiDem songs in the set and Slash and Duff probably had/have a good attitude in regards to learning them. Not rocket science. Quit the "holier than thou attitude", too

What holier-than-thou attitude? I asked for sources to back up his claim because I don't recall Slash ever saying he'd never play Chinese songs.

1 minute ago, GnR Chris said:

I didn't say what is and isn't allowed. You're twisting my words. I was merely stating that it makes sense for GNR to play GNR songs. They soundchecked a VR song too. GNR have always played covers, in reference to "The Seeker."

I didn't mean to twist your words. Again, I would personally enjoy any CD song live, I enjoyed the album. I just don't see the need to have so many cuts on this tour. 

• Like 1

Just now, cooker said:

I didn't mean to twist your words. Again, I would personally enjoy any CD song live, I enjoyed the album. I just don't see the need to have so many cuts on this tour. 

I get what you're saying too, but I actually prefer a lot of the CD songs versus some of the deeper cuts people are asking about from Illusions, like "Pretty Tied Up." So it all just comes down to opinion.

34 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Alright one thing I wasn't bitching about as much as everyone else was the setlist but now this is getting ridiculous.. I hate Chinese Democracy.. It blows, but the shows were so long there was room for a couple of the songs.. Now it is almost 4 songs every show which is complete overkill especially when half the shows there are zero songs from LIES played.. The only songs they switch up for the most part are damn Chinese Democracy songs. Not many people aside from Axl's cult really give a crap about that album. 95% of the audience sure don't know what the songs are.  There are sooo many classic songs that they are ignoring and all they do is learn CD garbage.. So disappointing...... The album was a failure.. NuGnR was selling less and less tickets every year they were supporting it.. It never caught on commercially... It may have sold a lot of units initially because people were interested but it stopped selling immediately once people heard it and the stores shifted all the CD's to the .99 cent bin. They are selling tickets for $200/300.... People aren't shelling that money out to hear some of the most awkward music ever recorded by Axl and a bunch of musicians they do not know.  I paid $60 to sit in the front section to see NuGuns once...

Sorry man but I actually disagree. Lots of people, maybe not the majority, are killing to hear deep cuts. NuGNR, while an unpopular era, is still Guns. Axl choose to still support the 2008 Guns album on this tour and Slash and Duff want to support that. If the band was playing the whole Chinese album nightly, I'd understand but 4 songs off of a band's most recent record is not harmful. Fans enjoy CD songs live and many have been picking up on the album since Slash toured in support of some of the songs. The set list is 60% Appetite and 25% Illusions anyways. I personally am glad Axl continues to play CD songs and it's apparent they make him happy. Slash and Duff are good friends for trying to help Axl with that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, James Bond said:

This is cool and all (at this point, any different song they soundcheck is cool in my book), but I'm not overly excited. I love Chinese Democracy but this has always been my least favourite song on it. Least listened to, anyways. I just never dug it for whatever reason.

how many songs have they sound checked that actually got played in concert? legit question, just curious.

1 minute ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

how many songs have they sound checked that actually got played in concert? legit question, just curious.

I think pretty much all of them, except for Perfect Crime (they soundchecked that in South America, right?)

They also played Sorry (I think, might've been Catcher) the night they soundchecked it.

• Like 1

IMHO Prostitute is the most cohesive song on CD, I like Catcher and SOD too, but for me Prostitute aged far better than the rest. Also it's genuine and Axl didn't seem like forcing distortions and virtuosism like he did in the others.

I hope they play it and make this one stable in the set. 

12 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Sorry man but I actually disagree. Lots of people, maybe not the majority, are killing to hear deep cuts. NuGNR, while an unpopular era, is still Guns. Axl choose to still support the 2008 Guns album on this tour and Slash and Duff want to support that. If the band was playing the whole Chinese album nightly, I'd understand but 4 songs off of a band's most recent record is not harmful. Fans enjoy CD songs live and many have been picking up on the album since Slash toured in support of some of the songs. The set list is 60% Appetite and 25% Illusions anyways. I personally am glad Axl continues to play CD songs and it's apparent they make him happy. Slash and Duff are good friends for trying to help Axl with that. 

Have you been to show?  Bc in general there are not lots of people enjoying any of the CD songs at a show.  Not there three I've been to at least.

• Like 1

I've enjoyed all the line-ups. 

Looking forward to TWAT/Prostitute in Lisbon and Munich, though I hope Slash stays true to the solo rather than going off-piste. Love the guy, but if Ashba had done what he's done with some of the Chi-Dem solos, there'd be a complete meltdown on here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Azazel said:

I've enjoyed all the line-ups. 

Looking forward to TWAT/Prostitute in Lisbon and Munich, though I hope Slash stays true to the solo rather than going off-piste. Love the guy, but if Ashba had done what he's done with some of the Chi-Dem solos, there'd be a complete meltdown on here.

Have you heard Ashba play?

Just now, gnfnr2k said:

Id gladly hear a VR song over the seeker or some other pointless cover song. If they are going to play a cover at least play one that slash and duff had a part in writing. 

When's the last time they played "some other pointless cover song"?