THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Southgate's policy to cynically rest players could backfire stupendously if it all goes tits up against Columbia, but we'll all be hailing him as the new Alf Ramsey if his three lions gain a convincing result. I can just picture the direction punditry could take: ''killing off team momentum, killing off Kane's goalscoring'' vis-à-vis ''pragmatic hard-nosed tournament management''. 

The waistcoat is on a precipice. 

This match wasn't a matter of life or dead like it was for Argentina a few days ago. It was ok to rest players and make sure they are healthy for a much more important match later in the tournament. Besides nobody wants see a starter suffering an Owen like injury.

Now having said that. The team, with or without starters must try to win despite the fact that they didn't have to. It is a matter of balancing and mixing things. And this is the manager's job. 

Edited by Padme

4 minutes ago, Padme said:

This match wasn't a matter of life or dead like it was for Argentina a few days ago. It was ok to rest players and make sure they are healthy for a much more important match later in the tournament. Besides nobody wants see a starter suffering an Owen like injury.

Now having said that. The team, with or without starters must try to win despite the fact that they didn't have to. It is a matter of balancing and mixing things. And this is the manager's job. 

And they'll (media) agree with you if it all works out against Columbia. If it doesn't however...

Everyone hates Uruguay for some reason, irrespective of Suarez but especially because of Suarez. I think people have bought into the narrative of Brazil, everyone's favourite neutral. But they are an ugly team, sort of like a South American team who doesn't play like a South American team but more like an Italy. Stodgy and ugly. 

20 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Everyone hates Uruguay for some reason, irrespective of Suarez but especially because of Suarez. I think people have bought into the narrative of Brazil, everyone's favourite neutral. But they are an ugly team, sort of like a South American team who doesn't play like a South American team but more like an Italy. Stodgy and ugly. 

Suarez is a piece of shit, but the team deserves to win this WC.  Can't deny that.

Well they don't have the flair and samba (Brazil) which attracts neutrals and people searching for a ''second team'' because their own team has been dumped out, and they do not have a lot of Scottish people supporting them (Argentina). Uruguay are basically a poor man's Italy. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'd rather be that than a joke with easy qualification that keeps losing like the England teams of the past.

Before my wifi fuck me... I was going to say something like that

but we played for a draw when 1-0 down. Everyone chill wit dat? Mary j blige yo.

Well they don't have the flair and samba (Brazil) which attracts neutrals and people searching for a ''second team'' because their own team has been dumped out, and they do not have a lot of Scottish people supporting them (Argentina). Uruguay are basically a poor man's Italy. 

And I hope Uruguay go on to win it!

And they'll (media) agree with you if it all works out against Columbia. If it doesn't however...

The possibility of losing is always there. And I said despite having starters resting. Teams have always play to win. What Japan did was a lot worst

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Padme said:

The possibility of losing is always there. And I said despite having starters resting. Teams have always play to win. What Japan did was a lot worst

You can be sure England would have done a Japan too, if in a similar situation. As would other countries, it's not the first time.

For context too, the Japan team had troubles prior to the tourney and people were expecting them to lose all 3 games. Even when Belgium smash them in a few days, it's all went better than expected.

Just a reminder that Belgium rested almost their entire team too. The biggest takeaway from it all, was that there's Belgium reserves that'd easily make England's first team.

Edited by AtariLegend

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Uruguay is a great country. Probably the one with more discipline in the whole Latinamerica.

1 minute ago, killuridols said:

You can root for Argentina if... :hug:

I like you, I know you don't like me but I can share some pizza with you :smiley-confused2:

What ever gave you that impression? I like everyone. 

Argentina? I just cannot see them doing much. They were like a pub side - granted, I didn't see their dramatic Senegal match. Nothing would give me more joy than Messi to take the competition by the bollocks but...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

You can be sure England would have done a Japan too, if in a similar situation. As would other countries, it's not the first time.

For context too, the Japan team had troubles prior to the tourney and people were expecting them to lose all 3 games. Even when Belgium smash them in a few days, it's all went better than expected.

Just a reminder that Belgium rested almost their entire team too. The biggest takeaway from it all, was that there's Belgium reserves that'd easily make England's first team.

There are 2 ways to look at the Japan situation. What they did was wrong. But Senegal was the team that needed to win. If Japan is just fooling around and wasting time. Senegal needed to be all over Japan and take the ball away from them. I'm afraid Senegal didn't do too much of a good job.

Also it was a rarity situation. These two teams had the same amount of points and goals. Not the first time but it doesn't happen every day either. And Japan had an advantage over the amount of yellow cards. Next WC FIFA should change the rules. Everything is decided with penalty kicks. So in order to avoid penalty kicks both teams are gonna fight to win during the 90 minutes. Or the referee should be allowed to send off players who are just fooling around and speculating instead of playing the match. This issue can be fixed if some rules are changed