THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

22 minutes ago, Padme said:

There are 2 ways to look at the Japan situation. What they did was wrong. But Senegal was the team that needed to win. If Japan is just fooling around and wasting time. Senegal needed to be all over Japan and take the ball away from them. I'm afraid Senegal didn't do too much of a good job.

Also it was a rarity situation. These two teams had the same amount of points and goals. Not the first time but it doesn't happen every day either. And Japan had an advantage over the amount of yellow cards. Next WC FIFA should change the rules. Everything is decided with penalty kicks. So in order to avoid penalty kicks both teams are gonna fight to win during the 90 minutes. Or the referee should be allowed to send off players who are just fooling around and speculating instead of playing the match. This issue can be fixed if some rules are changed

Honestly I like the yellow cards thing. It encourages players to play by the rules. I disagree on the penalties too. Both teams affected were 500 miles away on the night (which was actually closer than some of the games played). You can't have teams pop on flights just to have a penalty shoot-out.

Also it's incredible difficult to prove if two teams are playing for a draw, even if you as a viewer can figure it out. It'd be a nightmare legally.

In my opinion, keep the yellow cards rule. However only 1 team should be progressing from each group. Never got the point of 2 teams progressing from the same group of 4. In 2026 in the US/Canada/Mexico World Cup it'll be worse, it's 2 teams from a group of 3. Sounds silly to me, you'll probably get more Japan situations there or France/Denmark type games.

Edited by AtariLegend

20 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Honestly I like the yellow cards thing. It encourages players to play by the rules. I disagree on the penalties too. Both teams affected were 500 miles away on the night (which was actually closer than some of the games played). You can't have teams pop on flights just to have a penalty shoot-out.

Also it's incredible difficult to prove if two teams are playing for a draw, even if you as a viewer can figure it out. It'd be a nightmare legally.

In my opinion, keep the yellow cards rule. However only 1 team should be progressing from each group. Never got the point of 2 teams progressing from the same group of 4. In 2026 in the US/Canada/Mexico World Cup it'll be worse, it's 2 teams from a group of 3. Sounds silly to me, you'll probably get more Japan situations there or France/Denmark type games.

That would mean an omission of the second round. Nah - I like it with the present system with two teams progressing. 

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

That would mean an omission of the second round. Nah - I like it with the present system with two teams progressing. 

16 groups in 2026, so no missed 2nd round if only 1 team went through. 

Under current plans, they'd play futball for 2 weeks to whittle 48 teams down to a round of 32. What's the point if most of the teams go through anyway? At present it's half. 

Edited by AtariLegend

Just now, AtariLegend said:

16 groups in 2026, so missed 2nd round if only 1 team went through. 

Under current plans, they'd play futball for 2 weeks to whittle 48 teams down to a round of 32. What's the point if most of the teams go through anyway? At present it's half. 

Well I don't agree with the 48 teams either. But the current format of 32 teams/two teams advancing I agree with.

I've never really thought much about Qatar. You have to wonder whether Scotland will manage to qualify?

39 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Sounds silly to me, you'll probably get more Japan situations there or France/Denmark type games.

FIFA has to change rules. If you don't want penlty kicks then the referee should be allowed to make a call.

The problem with this world cup is there is a heatwave on so you don't want to be stuck in doors (pub/home) sweating like a bastard watching football but doing ''general outdoor activities'' like going to the beach/park (or in my case, cricket). That is why I missed all the third round matches, and most probably be missing tomorrow's first match also. It is just too nice to be stuck in doors. 

Of course you could listen to the thing on a radio or go to one of those out door thingymebobs (there is one in the Toon, near Central Station). 

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

What ever gave you that impression? I like everyone. 

Argentina? I just cannot see them doing much. They were like a pub side - granted, I didn't see their dramatic Senegal match. Nothing would give me more joy than Messi to take the competition by the bollocks but...

Blatter and Putin are colluding to make Messi great again. 

1 hour ago, wasted said:

Blatter and Putin are colluding to make Messi great again. 

Well..... they just said on tv that the tickets for Arg-Fr are sold out and loads of Argentinian fans will have to watch it on the screens because they cant get in.

They explained the tickets are held by fans of Messi, who are not necessarily argentinians or fans of the team, like the Japanese fans, they just want to see Messi. He is an attraction and obviously, he sells tickets (just like CR7)..... so what you say makes sense in the context of this being a show and a business more than just a sport tournament.

16 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

What would the Argentine fans do if Sid had not invented the pogo all those years' ago?

We would dance a tribal dance or similar :shrugs:

Look, I have something for you. I hope you love it :lol:

Last evil face is of our President, who is diabolic. :ph34r:

Edited by killuridols
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well I don't agree with the 48 teams either. But the current format of 32 teams/two teams advancing I agree with.

I've never really thought much about Qatar. You have to wonder whether Scotland will manage to qualify?

We're probably still another generation of player away from achieving qualification :lol:

7 minutes ago, killuridols said:

We would dance a tribal dance or similar :shrugs:

Look, I have something for you. I hope you love it :lol:

Last evil face is of our President, who is diabolic. :ph34r:

I do believe I have arrived at the reason your chaps are not playing so well.

You all have short hair. Throughout history Argentine teams - the good ones that is - have blessed us all with the most wondrous barnets in sporting history - second only to the Aussie cricket team. These are Argentinians,

soccer-world-cup-argentina-1978-group-13

Led Zeppelin tribute band. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, killuridols said:

Well..... they just said on tv that the tickets for Arg-Fr are sold out and loads of Argentinian fans will have to watch it on the screens because they cant get in.

They explained the tickets are held by fans of Messi, who are not necessarily argentinians or fans of the team, like the Japanese fans, they just want to see Messi. He is an attraction and obviously, he sells tickets (just like CR7)..... so what you say makes sense in the context of this being a show and a business more than just a sport tournament.

And who wants France to win, neutrals watching tv want to see Messi, VAR knows what TV wants. 

On a slightly less conspiratorial note, someone was saying the fans in the stadium can make a difference. Some nations just have wilder fans.

England will probably face both against Columbia. Although Rodney does seem to be emerging as a star of sorts. That back heeled goal against Panama was genius. 

This is it, the day when the world cup really starts!

On paper it looks like France are winning 6-0, but I hope Messi steps up today, Ronaldo too. Portugal/Argentina would be a huge Quarter Final for various reasons even if it seems unlikely. 

Edited by AtariLegend