RITZ 1991 FOOTAGE LIKE YOU NEVER "HEARD" BEFORE = "Dust n Bones" audience video perfectly synced with Live Era audio track

On 2017-09-06 at 6:11 AM, ludurigan said:

this is a must watch

RITZ 1991 FOOTAGE LIKE YOU NEVER "HEARD" BEFORE = "Dust n Bones" audience video recording perfectly synced with Live Era audio track

:headbang:

It syncs perfectly for about 2 minutes.

apparently dust n bones from live era is part ritz 1991, part wembley 1991

what a thrill to have good quality audio for this footage

(check the youtube description to learn why the audio changes when axl joins the chorus)

what comes as a bit of a revelation to me (not sure if you guys know/knew this) is that GNR DOES HAVE THE PROFESSIONAL AUDIO RECORDING OF RITZ 1991 ON ITS VAULT!

Wow! That may be old news to you but until just about now I never had the confirmation of that and I thought it was only speculation!

So YES, THEY HAVE IT

and because of that there is a chance that someday, somehow, someone will be smart enough to put A (the amazing cinema quality footage of this show) plus B (this professional audio recording of the show) together and RELEASE IT TO THE FUCKING WORLD!

Not only were the Ritz show recorded but all of the '91 warm up shows (the 1991-05-09 - Warfield Theatre, San Francisco, CA gig. The  1991-05-11 - Pantages Theatre, Los Angeles, CA gig and the 1991-05-16 - The Ritz, New York, NY gig) are rumored to be recorded on film.

What that means is that these film recordings, unlike most other recordings from the UYI era (if not all except for the Freddie Mercury Tribute) that were recorded on VHS, can be digitized in true 1080p HD. The difference between a VHS recording and a film recording is massive and concerts recorded on film looks amazing.

Here's Paradise City recorded on film from the Freddie Mercury Tribute (sadly compromised by YouTube but you get the idea):

And here's Paradise City recorded on VHS from Indiana in '91:

As you can see the details are much clearer and the colors of the film recording looks amazing. I really hope that these recording will se the light of day at some point in the future especially since we don't have any video footage of the San Francisco show (I'd love to see that since the first GN'R performance ever of Dust N' Bones, Bad Obsession and Live and Let Die were played on this gig) and I'd give my left arm for a recording of the LA show (which I would consider as the holy grail of GN'R live recording) since we don't have a single recording (audio or video) of that show. The LA show also happens to have an amazing setlist including the first GN'R performances of Right Next Door To Hell, 14 Years, Yesterdays and You Ain't The First as well as Don't Cry with Shannon Hoon and more importantly the second and last ever performance of Bad Apples! 

Personally I'd love it if GN'R did something like KISS did with their Kissology box sets when the Not In This Lifetime Tour is over. Release a couple of DVD sets with 4-5 live shows of each era that we haven't already seen in pro shot quality. Imagine something like this:

DVD Box 1: (1985-1989)
06.06.85 - Troubador, Hollywood, CA (This would not be professionally recorded but I'm pretty sure that Marc Canter recorded this show on video so if it exists, it would be included) 
09.20.86 - L.A. Street Scene Festival, Los Angeles, CA (Not professionally recorded, Marc Canter recorded this show and the show is great but very short because of the rowdy crowd)
10.23.87 - The Ritz, New York, NY (We know that this exists in pro shot quality but we've only seen 10 minutes of it)
12.10.88 - Budokan, Tokyo, Japan (You're Crazy and Used To Love Her on live era is sourced from this show, hopefully video was professionally recorded as well)
10.13.89 - Park Plaza Hotel, Los Angeles, CA (At least 1 hour and 10 minutes of this show is known to exist)

DVD Box 2: (1991-1993)
05.11.91 - Pantages Theatre, Los Angeles, CA (Rumored to be recorded on film as previously stated)
08.31.91 - Wembley Stadium, London, England (All UYI era shows were recorded, probably the best 1991 show in my opinion as well as Izzy's last GN'R show as a member)
02.20.92 - Toyko Dome, Tokyo, Japan (All UYI era shows were recorded, Locomotive do I need to say anything else?)
04.10.93 - Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (All UYI era shows were recorded, The Garden, Coma and Used To Love Her was played)

DVD Box 3: (2001-2007)
01.01.01 - House Of Blues, Las Vegas, NV (All CD era shows were recorded, first GN'R show since '93 and Rhiad And The Bedouins was played)
12.05.02 - Madison Square Garden, New York, NY (All CD era shows were recorded, last Buckethead show)
05.12.06 - Hammerstein Ballroom, New York, NY (All CD era shows were recorded, There Was A Time.)
07.14.07 - Makuhari Messe, Chiba, Japan (All CD era shows were recorded, first full Don't Cry since 1993)

DVD Box 4: (2009-2014)
12.19.09 - Tokyo Dome, Tokyo, Japan (All CD era shows were recorded, 3 hours and 37 minutes long and all of Chinese Democracy is played except for Rhiad And The Bedouins)
10.14.10 - The O2 Arena, London, England (All CD era shows were recorded, Duff joins for the first time since 1993)
07.22.12 - Son Fusteret, Mallorca, Spain (All CD era shows were recorded, Izzy joins for 8 songs and Whole Lotta Rosie is played)
06.06.14 - The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas, NV (All CD era shows were recorded, There Was A Time and Prostitute were played)

DVD Box 5: (2016-2017)
04.01.16 - Troubadour, West Hollywood, CA, USA (Recordings are known to exist, first show with Slash since '93)
08.05.16 - NRG Stadium, Houston, TX, USA (It's safe to assume that all NITL shows are recorded, amazing show.)
07.27.17 - The Dome at America's Center, St. Louis, MO (It's safe to assume that all NITL shows are recorded, first St.Louis show since the Riverport Riot)
11.29.17 - The Forum, Los Angeles, CA (It's safe to assume that all NITL shows are recorded, this will hopefully be the last NITL show and thus the setlist probably will be exciting)

If they wan't to stop fans from whining then release something like this and a new album in 2018 and I'm fairly sure that we fans will be very satisfied! 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

Not only were the Ritz show recorded but all of the '91 warm up shows (the 1991-05-09 - Warfield Theatre, San Francisco, CA gig. The  1991-05-11 - Pantages Theatre, Los Angeles, CA gig and the 1991-05-16 - The Ritz, New York, NY gig) are rumored to be recorded on film.

Great post. Those 91 warm up shows are holy grail material along with the UYI tour documentary. They are sitting on a treasure trove of material. The GnR vault is like Prince's vault. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

What that means is that these film recordings, unlike most other recordings from the UYI era (if not all except for the Freddie Mercury Tribute) that were recorded on VHS, can be digitized in true 1080p HD. The difference between a VHS recording and a film recording is massive and concerts recorded on film looks amazing.

Here's Paradise City recorded on film from the Freddie Mercury Tribute (sadly compromised by YouTube but you get the idea):

As you can see the details are much clearer and the colors of the film recording looks amazing. I really hope that these recording will se the light of day at some point in the future especially since we don't have any video footage of the San Francisco show (I'd love to see that since the first GN'R performance ever of Dust N' Bones, Bad Obsession and Live and Let Die were played on this gig) and I'd give my left arm for a recording of the LA show (which I would consider as the holy grail of GN'R live recording) since we don't have a single recording (audio or video) of that show. The LA show also happens to have an amazing setlist including the first GN'R performances of Right Next Door To Hell, 14 Years, Yesterdays and You Ain't The First as well as Don't Cry with Shannon Hoon and more importantly the second and last ever performance of Bad Apples! 

Personally I'd love it if GN'R did something like KISS did with their Kissology box sets when the Not In This Lifetime Tour is over. Release a couple of DVD sets with 4-5 live shows of each era that we haven't already seen in pro shot quality. Imagine something like this:

06.06.85 - Troubador, Hollywood, CA (This would not be professionally recorded but I'm pretty sure that Marc Canter recorded this show on video so if it exists, it would be included) 
09.20.86 - L.A. Street Scene Festival, Los Angeles, CA (Not professionally recorded, Marc Canter recorded this show and the show is great but very short because of the rowdy crowd)
10.23.87 - The Ritz, New York, NY (We know that this exists in pro shot quality but we've only seen 10 minutes of it)
12.10.88 - Budokan, Tokyo, Japan (You're Crazy and Used To Love Her on live era is sourced from this show, hopefully video was professionally recorded as well)
10.13.89 - Park Plaza Hotel, Los Angeles, CA (At least 1 hour and 10 minutes of this show is known to exist)

05.11.91 - Pantages Theatre, Los Angeles, CA (Rumored to be recorded on film as previously stated)
08.31.91 - Wembley Stadium, London, England (All UYI era shows were recorded, probably the best 1991 show in my opinion as well as Izzy's last GN'R show as a member)
02.20.92 - Toyko Dome, Tokyo, Japan (All UYI era shows were recorded, Locomotive do I need to say anything else?)
04.10.93 - Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (All UYI era shows were recorded, The Garden, Coma and Used To Love Her was played)

01.01.01 - House Of Blues, Las Vegas, NV (All CD era shows were recorded, first GN'R show since '93 and Rhiad And The Bedouins was played)
12.05.02 - Madison Square Garden, New York, NY (All CD era shows were recorded, last Buckethead show)
05.12.06 - Hammerstein Ballroom, New York, NY (All CD era shows were recorded, There Was A Time.)
07.14.07 - Makuhari Messe, Chiba, Japan (All CD era shows were recorded, first full Don't Cry since 1993)

12.19.09 - Tokyo Dome, Tokyo, Japan (All CD era shows were recorded, 3 hours and 37 minutes long and all of Chinese Democracy is played except for Rhiad And The Bedouins)
10.14.10 - The O2 Arena, London, England (All CD era shows were recorded, Duff joins for the first time since 1993)
07.22.12 - Son Fusteret, Mallorca, Spain (All CD era shows were recorded, Izzy joins for 8 songs and Whole Lotta Rosie is played)
06.06.14 - The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas, NV (All CD era shows were recorded, There Was A Time and Prostitute were played)

04.01.16 - Troubadour, West Hollywood, CA, USA (Recordings are known to exist, first show with Slash since '93)
08.05.16 - NRG Stadium, Houston, TX, USA (It's safe to assume that all NITL shows are recorded, amazing show.)
07.27.17 - The Dome at America's Center, St. Louis, MO (It's safe to assume that all NITL shows are recorded, first St.Louis show since the Riverport Riot)
11.29.17 - The Forum, Los Angeles, CA (It's safe to assume that all NITL shows are recorded, this will hopefully be the last NITL show and thus the setlist probably will be exciting)

If they wan't to stop fans from whining then release something like this and a new album in 2018 and I'm fairly sure that we fans will be very satisfied! 

Great post, lot of thought put into it, thanks.

• Like 1

Well, all these videos above are edited with, unseen to many, '91 pro-shot footage (YCBM without Arnold's parts). One can only wonder how great would the full concerts look like, taking from example Brownstone and Michelle from above.

6 minutes ago, baldek said:

Well, all these videos above are edited with, unseen to many, '91 pro-shot footage (YCBM without Arnold's parts). One can only wonder how great would the full concerts look like, taking from example Brownstone and Michelle from above.

yes all those videos were shot on the 3 warm up gigs

thats my point exactly, i didnt know for sure that ritz 1991 *AUDIO* was professionally recorded.

if "dust n bones" from live era is partly from ritz 1991, then we can get to the conclusion that *AUDIO* was professionally recorded at least on of the the 3 warm up gigs

as you said, "One can only wonder how great would the full concerts look like"!

31 minutes ago, soon said:

Was the live footage for the You Could Be Mine video shot at the warm up gigs - Ritz maybe? Lots of costume changes even for Axl so maybe footage from multiple warm ups? Then it would definitely be on film?

yep, shot on the 3 warm up gigs

• Like 1

4 hours ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

This show was taped in standard definition, not filmed - even on Blu Ray it's only in standard definition

Anything that aired live before HD cameras existed was recorded to tape - film had to be edited after the fact, the reason being film cameras were huge and hard to move around a stage

Edited by TheSeeker

15 hours ago, t-p-d-a said:

I listen to all audio bootlegs from 1991 with Izzy and i never found the version with only Slash singing before the solo. Maybe the source has no audio bootleg or they removed Axl's layer.. so they have a multi layer soundboard?

WOW a multi-track soundboard would be something...

12 hours ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

lovely idea the 5 eras

i would just change the dates of the eras hahahaha

dvd box 1, club days 85-86 = roxy, troubadour, etc

dvd box 2, appetite tour 87-88 (before aerosmith tour) = ritz 87, cbgb 87, marquee 87, holland 87, pasadena 87 etc

dvd box 3, 88 (aerosmith tour and beyond) and 1989 with the stones = ritz 88, costa mesa 88, 2 shows with the stones, etc

dvd box 4, last usa tour (1991 with izzy) = 3 warm up gigs, one extra gig plus la forum 3 /12 hour show

dvd box 5, last europe tour (1991 with izzy) = stockholm, wembley, germany etc

bonus dvd = 5 shows with izzy 1993

bonus dvd 2 = circus era 1992, skin and bones 1993, axl solo years buckethead era, axl solo years bumbledude era, threeunion era

On 06/09/2017 at 10:17 AM, Endless2404 said:

All shows (at least from the UYI-era) were recorded professionally so it doesn't admire me that they would have pro footage from the ritz 91. 

thing is those three warm up gigs were not really part of the tour.

and even though they shot them on film it could be possible that they hadntt recorded the audio of them because apparently they only shot those shows on film to make a video for you could be mine

Edited by ludurigan

GnR is probably one of the few artists who have pretty much every show since 1991 filmed and in 26 years they only released a shit show from 2012 in Blu Ray, it's unbelivable.

I don't even like to watch music videos like Live and Let Die, even these SD transfers of the concerts already look amazing, i can only imagine what a remastered UHD BD would look like.

Axl glorious 90s hair in a high resolution remastered BluRay, i don't think the world is prepared for this greatness yet.

If a 70s concert looks like this, imagine what those GnR concerts look like since the bits we have in SD resolution on the music videos already look amazing. Just imagine, will look like shot yesterday, HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

• Like 1

This has been discussed to death before.  All UYI shows were recorded on video, not film - making it impossible for high definition.  Even the Freddie Mercury Tribute Wembley '92 concert is the same.  It was upscaled, upconverted and reworked by ERE (Eagle Rock Entertainment).  I don't see them or any other studio for that matter doing the same for a bunch of GN'R concerts nobody but the hardcore fans would buy.

That being said, as I have stated before, I will gladly pay up to $1000 for a single pro-shot video of any live performance of Locomotive.  That's holy grail right there.

@Rickodez That Led Zeppelin concert was shot on film, with multiple cameras.  Not many GN'R shows were filmed for release.  I think two out of total three shows in Tokyo '92 were the only ones.  The worst one was ultimately released.  And I say the worst, because I have heard the bootlegs of the other two unreleased shows and first night had Coma, the second night Locomotive.  :cry:

22 hours ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

Why would you waste half of your GNR boxset on NON-GNR material ? :facepalm:

20 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

This show was taped in standard definition, not filmed - even on Blu Ray it's only in standard definition

Anything that aired live before HD cameras existed was recorded to tape - film had to be edited after the fact, the reason being film cameras were huge and hard to move around a stage

Oh sorry, I was sure that the Freddie Mercury Tribute show was recorded on film and not taped but I guess I was wrong, my bad! 

I do remember reading something about the warm up shows being recorded on film though, I know that none of the other shows were because of the hassle and expense of bringing film and film cameras on the road. The other shows were as far as I am aware filmed with the in-house cameras in the stadiums and arenas for the in-house screens and then GN'Rs crew recorded that video feed to VHS as the show happened for archiving purposes. That's how some shows tapes (Oklahoma and Chicago '92 for example) were stolen from GN'Rs video crew and later on leaked. 

But back to the warm up shows, I know that it would make sense for them to record these shows on tape as well but if there would be any shows from the UYI Tour captured with film cameras it would be these for the very reason you mentioned. Film cameras are huge and hard to move around on a stage and therefor it makes sense to use them to record a show on a smaller stage where the cameras don't have to be moved.

On 07/09/2017 at 8:23 AM, t-p-d-a said:

I listen to all audio bootlegs from 1991 with Izzy and i never found the version with only Slash singing before the solo. Maybe the source has no audio bootleg or they removed Axl's layer.. so they have a multi layer soundboard?

They doctored Live Era a lot, Axls vocals were all overdubbed and guitars from different shows spliced together. I'd take an educated guess the other vocals were just stripped. 

Take Yesterdays for instance. Its the same Vegas performance on the single b side but the Liver Era version cut out the female vocals etc. 

9 hours ago, Nosaj Thing said:

This has been discussed to death before.  All UYI shows were recorded on video, not film - making it impossible for high definition.  Even the Freddie Mercury Tribute Wembley '92 concert is the same.  It was upscaled, upconverted and reworked by ERE (Eagle Rock Entertainment).  I don't see them or any other studio for that matter doing the same for a bunch of GN'R concerts nobody but the hardcore fans would buy.

That being said, as I have stated before, I will gladly pay up to $1000 for a single pro-shot video of any live performance of Locomotive.  That's holy grail right there.

The visual was. Sound would all be through the desk or would be unmixable and sound like shit. 

2 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

Just to add to this - this is a Nirvana show that was filmed (using actual film cameras) in 1991 and later transferred to Blu Ray in HD:

So yeah, if we can get a GNR show in this quality, that would be tremendous

if they release any of the warm up gigs with this sort of quality it will likely be the best DVD ever, wont it?