09/26/17 -Sao Paulo, BR - Allianz Parque

gunsguy

All the press vehicles who crushed Axl after Rio say he redeemed himself yesterday. Unanimous compliments across the board, but all of them are puzzled regarding what could have happening to make him suck that bad saturday.

Watched some videos and it sounds acceptable and much better than Rio, but still a far cry from 2016. 

3 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

All the press vehicles who crushed Axl after Rio say he redeemed himself yesterday. Unanimous compliments across the board, but all of them are puzzled regarding what could have happening to make him suck that bad saturday.

Watched some videos and it sounds acceptable and much better than Rio, but still a far cry from 2016. 

That is what I have been saying to everyone...on Twitter, FB, and IG, the comments were ALL positive. Seriously. I watched the whole show and it rocked! He did redeem himself, the whole band was on point. F the naysayers! :hahafyou:

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 2

2 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

That is what I have been saying to everyone...on Twitter, FB, and IG, the comments were ALL positive. Seriously. I watched the whole show and it rocked! He did redeem himself, the whole band was on point. F the naysayers! :hahafyou:

☺👍✊

• GNFNR 1

15 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I bet this show wasn't much better than Rio, but was less noticeable when the band made mistakes since all we have is grainy concert footage and the concert goers would've had a much better experience actually been there. The pro shot exposed quite a lot.

I think you're right about the pro-shot exposing a lot, so there's that.  But the RIR reaction was also down to a fair bit of mob mentality for want of a better phrase.  As I've said before, people tend to get carried away on a wave of misery and then you get 80 pages of omg this is the end of GNR, Axl's done and dusted, Slash is shit, this is the WORST version of GNR EVA!  Any balanced opinions get drowned in doom and gloom.  RIR was blown out of proportion on the whole and most people completely forgot about the very good shows that preceded RIR, not to mention Axl's I Feel Good cover (funny how that has suddenly resurfaced in the setlist).

What was mostly disappointing for me about RIR was that they appeared not to try very hard and that sucks, but otherwise, much of the criticism levelled at Axl and the band were things that we already spend most of our time criticising them about anyway. lol

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle

15 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

It has nothing to do with it being pro shot or not, Axl sang A LOT BETTER and it's fn' clear as day. As far as I know, cell phones don't add rasp to your voice or anything like that. Compare the pro shot of Jungle with an audience video OF ROCK IN RIO and then those two to last night's Jungle. 

I love that Jungle from last night :) 

5 minutes ago, Zoot said:

I still think he sounds bad. :wacko: They're charging $250+ for tickets. For that price he needs to sound good on every song. Not just 1 and then like mickey mouse for the rest of the set. :smiley-confused2:

Yeah, he sounds like he usually does.  Honestly, can't fathom what people are hearing.  He had moments last night where there was rasp or he had better control than he usually does, but those were moments at best, not entire songs and not for the entire concert.  And RIR was Axl singing a bit worse than usual, is all.

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 2

He can redeem himself all he wants. The fact remains a lot of the fans that fall a bit more on the casual side tuned into Rio. And will watch videos of that pro shot for years to come when they search to see what the band sounds like today. 

Thousands of fans won't tune into these shows coming up. When you have a big moment like Rio you have to perform. Axl of all people should know what a bad first impression gets you. (02 VMA's) the damage is done for the fans that watched this band torture Rio with that set

• GNFNR 1

Well this has been a very confusing couple of days. First people acted like Rio was the end of GNR, even though Axl sounded exactly like he's sounded all year long.

Now people are saying that Axl has redeemed himself and Welcome To The Jungle sounds as good as it did in 2016, even though Axl still sounds exactly like he's sounded all year long. There's pretty much no difference between this and Rio and people act like this is some kind of a come back from Axl. 

Even Welcome To The Jungle sounds pretty much the same. Yes, even in Rio Axl sounded mostly raspy in WTTJ . This Sao Paolo version of WTTJ has occasional clean vocals just like the Rio version did. There's barely any difference between them and people act like they're as different as night and day. The only difference is that Rio was pro shot and the clean vocals were a lot more noticeable because of the good quality. Now people are listening to bad quality cell phone recordings and they notice some rasp here and there and they go apeshit because of that. It's like they don't even notice that the clean vocals are still there. Just like in Rio Axl sounds occasionally raspy and occasionally clean. There's no difference. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Zoot said:

I still think he sounds bad. :wacko: They're charging $250+ for tickets. For that price he needs to sound good on every song. Not just 1 and then like mickey mouse for the rest of the set. :smiley-confused2:

I think he hasn't been sounding great the whole year but Sao Paulo was a standard performance for 2017 Axl, RIR was a fn' disaster. Not just the voice itself but the million of timing issues he had.

48 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Yeah, he sounds like he usually does.  Honestly, can't fathom what people are hearing.  He had moments last night where there was rasp or he had better control than he usually does, but those were moments at best, not entire songs and not for the entire concert.  And RIR was Axl singing a bit worse than usual, is all.

I  think no one's saying he was brilliant last night but RIR wasn't a bit worse than usual, it was an abomination. I'm relieved to see him back to the way he's been singing lately considering I'll be seeing him this sunday. Of course it would be great if he could reach the level he had at some points last year but if not, I'll be fine as long as he doesn't do what he did a RIR.

33 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

He can redeem himself all he wants. The fact remains a lot of the fans that fall a bit more on the casual side tuned into Rio. And will watch videos of that pro shot for years to come when they search to see what the band sounds like today. 

Thousands of fans won't tune into these shows coming up. When you have a big moment like Rio you have to perform. Axl of all people should know what a bad first impression gets you. (02 VMA's) the damage is done for the fans that watched this band torture Rio with that set

That's true, it sucks that he ruined the first (and maybe only) pro shot we got from 60% of the real GNR and he can't change that now. Still, whether or not it makes a difference for the casuals, I want him to improve from now on and I think last night's show was a step in the right direction. There's still a lot of room for improvement if we compare him to some periods of 2016.

3 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Well this has been a very confusing couple of days. First people acted like Rio was the end of GNR, even though Axl sounded exactly like he's sounded all year long.

Now people are saying that Axl has redeemed himself and Welcome To The Jungle sounds as good as it did in 2016, even though Axl still sounds exactly like he's sounded all year long. There's pretty much no difference between this and Rio and people act like this is some kind of a come back from Axl. 

Even Welcome To The Jungle sounds pretty much the same. Yes, even in Rio Axl sounded mostly raspy in WTTJ . This Sao Paolo version of WTTJ has occasional clean vocals just like the Rio version did. There's barely any difference between them and people act like they're as different as night and day. The only difference is that Rio was pro shot and the clean vocals were a lot more noticeable because of the good quality. Now people are listening to bad quality cell phone recordings and they notice some rasp here and there and they go apeshit because of that. It's like they don't even notice that the clean vocals are still there. Just like in Rio Axl sounds occasionally raspy and occasionally clean. There's no difference. 

Yeah, I'm sure he screwed the intro at every gig as he did in Rio but we failed to notice because there weren't pro shot videos... Same goes to Coma and many other songs, Axl was WAY worse in Rio than he was last night and the whole year. Last night wasn't like 2016, though, that's for sure.

He may have sounded good at this concert but let's not backtrack and pretend everyone was overreacting with RIO. 

RIO had the worst performance of Coma in GnR history. Period. Easily his worst vocal performances since 2011. That's not an exaggeration. That's simply reality. I don't know if he was sick in RIO or fatigued - whatever it was, let's not pretend RIO was just a standard garden variety performance. If you want those, just flip back to the European and Canadian legs of the tour where he was hit/miss. None of the shows in 2017 approach the depths of his RIO performance. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Indeed! The best of all post-2000 line-ups

He watched RIR (2017) three times, not RIR 3.

That band was awesome, it had a way better drummer than the current one and it had Bucket (:heart:) but it also had Pitman (:vomit:) and didn't have GOD Slash so 2017 all the way for me!

6 minutes ago, RONIN said:

He may have sounded good at this concert but let's not backtrack and pretend everyone was overreacting with RIO. 

RIO had the worst performance of Coma in GnR history. Period. Easily his worst vocal performances since 2011. That's not an exaggeration. That's simply reality. I don't know if he was sick in RIO or fatigued - whatever it was, let's not pretend RIO was just a standard garden variety performance. If you want those, just flip back to the European and Canadian legs of the tour where he was hit/miss. None of the shows in 2017 approach the depths of his RIO performance. 

That's exactly my opinion as well. Can't understand those who claim RIR was a normal 2017 show for Axl.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Sorry, my mistake!

9 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

That band was awesome, it had a way better drummer than the current one and it had Bucket (:heart:

Slash, Robin and Buckethead are the best lead guitarists GN'R ever had. They just have this star appeal that @RONIN mentioned at the Rock in Rio thread

12 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

but it also had Pitman 

What's wrong with him? Check out Lusk and SexTapes, two really great bands

21 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Yeah, that live Performance was really awful.