10/01/17 - Buenos Aires, AR - Estadio La Plata

gunsguy

The show was really good. It was't sold out, I think was at 70%.

I think he sound pretty good, a lot better than Rio for sure. WTTJ was way better than last show in Argentina '16. Also Rocket Queen and YCBM had rasp (not a lot but it was acceptable) . Better was good, live and let die had longer screamings and Estranged was like always (very good at the beginning, not brilliant at the end).

Axl should work on this i love tought. The first part gives some pain when you listen to it. Then the rasp appeared.

November Rain is in ultra fast mode. What's the point to play it without feeling? Just skipped it. Same thing with don't cry. Frank seemed running a marathon there. PC was horrible like the last 7 years

But overall was an excelent show. The volume was extremely loud, but you can here Axl's voice (in past concerts you can barely heard him). Slash was running and playing under the rain like a god, facing up to the sky. It was a placer to see that. 

I think they are in their confort zone but in a very professional way... at least in some points

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gurri said:

The show was really good. It was't sold out, I think was at 70%.

I think he sound pretty good, a lot better than Rio for sure. WTTJ was way better than last show in Argentina '16. Also Rocket Queen and YCBM had rasp (not a lot but it was acceptable) . Better was good, live and let die had longer screamings and Estranged was like always (very good at the beginning, not brilliant at the end).

Axl should work on this i love tought. The first part gives some pain when you listen to it. Then the rasp appeared.

November Rain is in ultra fast mode. What's the point to play it without feeling? Just skipped it. Same thing with don't cry. Frank seemed running a marathon there. PC was horrible like the last 7 years

But overall was an excelent show. The volume was extremely loud, but you can here Axl's voice (in past concerts you can barely heard him). Slash was running and playing under the rain like a god, facing up to the sky. It was a placer to see that. 

I think they are in their confort zone but in a very professional way... at least in some points

Agree on NR and Don't Cry. The rythm section just sound too fast and wrong.. Don't cry have no feeling to it whatsoever nowadays. BRING BACK MATT OR ADLER FFS!

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

The setlist:

It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Chinese Democracy
Welcome To The Jungle
Double Talkin' Jive
Better
Estranged
Live and Let Die
Rocket Queen
You Could Be Mine
Duff's Solo - Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory/New Rose
This I Love
Civil War
Yesterdays
Coma
Band Intros
Jam+Godfather Theme/Sweet Child O' Mine
Wichita Lineman 
Used To Love Her
My Michelle
Richard N' Slash - Wish You Were Here/Layla/November Rain
Black Hole Sun
Only Women Bleed/Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Nightrain

ENCORE:

Waiting for a friend/Patience
Whole Lotta Rosie
Melissa/Don't Cry
Paradise City

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

OKAY.  I’m home now, and after taking a hot bath, i’m ready to write my review.

🔹 Summary:

The crowd was one of the most intense I have ever been to. We Argentinian fans are fucking crazy. Axl told us 3! times to step back. The band sounds better than last year (IMO) and Axl had one of the best vocal deliveries of 2017.

🔸 Song analysis:

Axl was clearly into it because of the crowd. There was no doubt about that. The songs he usually nails, were as expected (ISE, Brownstone, Chinese, Jungle, Nightrain). One of the highlights of the night were the You Could Be Mine outro (it surprised me. You can see I tend to criticize Axl a lot around here, but he nailed this part), and Wichita Lineman. That is a very nice song to hear live. Coma was very weak, and Yesterdays too (even thought that Axl’s Mickey sounded a bit more strong tonight). Civil War is IMO horrible live, and also Rocket Queen. Those two should be re-rehearsed or left out. Paradise City is the cancer itself. Patience, Don’t Cry and Used To Love Here were listensbles, with Don’t Cry a step above. Black Hole Sun is played really good by the guys.

🔹 Curious things i saw:

Axl wore again an ACDC jacket. He was CONSTANTLY (and i really mean it) talking to the band trough their private channel or whatever. It seemed like jokes because it was during songs and Duff and Richard laughed. He was very chatty with the crowd and he seemed happy. During Knockin On Heavens Door, when doing the sing along part, he said something like “You should sing this one because we really don’t know when we are coming back”. It was not like that, but he basically put some mistery to them coming back soon. And the stadium got frozen for a second.

🔸 Was it enjoyable? Totally. Was it worth the money, even thought it was the same show as last year? Totally. Specially when you don’t know if they are coming back. Can you hear Mickey live and tell when he’s rasping? Absolutely. If you can’t do that then you are deaf. But, it’s also true that the live enviroment makes Axl’s voice a lot more enjoyable.

Okay, i think that’s an acceptable review. Going to bed now since it’s 4AM.

22154248_10215305034286069_5961499676717

22050009_10215305034246068_3908194355489

22195550_10215305034406072_1510199529348

Very balanced review @GNRfanMILO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 2

1 hour ago, mauritox said:

I left the stadium with a bittersweet taste. The show itself is great, but in a 3 hours show I'd like to have a few surprises. Once you know exactly what's next, it gets a little boring.

I will never get why they play so many covers and I think it's fucking ridiculous that they become staples. Sure I was curious to hear Black Hole Sun but only because I'm a Cornell fan. I honestly hate Wichita Lineman and the Wish You Were Here/Layla jam. Thank God they didn't play neither The Seeker nor I Feel Good.

The extended versions of KOHD and RQ are also a drag. They've been playing them the exact way for too much long.

The rain didn't help. We were freezing so a little more of rocker stuff would've been welcome. I missed a song like OTGM.

Axl sounds great but I don't think he sounded that different from RIR. Any flaw he might had it was muffled between the loudness of the band and the crowd noise. He sure had more control and it was notorious in songs like Better and in the end of Coma.

I also don't like what Slash is doing with his solos. I'd like him to stick more to the studio versions. He improvises a lot and mostly I don't like that much what I hear. Overall he's a beast and puts on a hell of a performance.

Ok I think that would be all my complaints. Maybe it sounds like I had an awful time (hah!) but I actually enjoyed the show. It's just I expect more from them and I'm sure they can bring it. Now they are clearly on autopilot.

nice post, mostly agree. And yes, solo in YCBM `SHOULD be just like studio version. IMHO improvisation is the weakest side of Slash (and vibratto :))

6 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

no wonder he is uncerain when they come back...how many times can you play same shows in same cities over and over and over and over...adding just more covers!?

it became a drag for die hard fans

Literally decades. As Axl has proven. 

2 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

The tempo is not Franks fault. It's the bands decision to play the songs faster. Bringing back Matt or Adler wouldn't change any of that.

bringing back Matt or Adler would get rid of stupid fills that doesen't fit the song. AND we would get to hear Estranged as it meant to be played.

Yes, maybe it's the bands decision to play the songs faster but Frank's playing does not fit the songs. It's not like i'm the only one that notice this. even my sister who's not into music that much reacted to his playing.

Sorry, not want to make this thread bout Frank. =)

Edited by estranged_85
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

no wonder he is uncerain when they come back...how many times can you play same shows in same cities over and over and over and over...adding just more covers!?

it became a drag for die hard fans

Die hard fans are a teaspoon in the ocean of a stadium crowd. But regardless if they do the same show or not, you can only play the same places so many times. During UYI era they changed the setlists more, but still had to downscale from stadiums to arenas by 1993 because they'd tapped North America pretty much dry on their 3rd pass.

• Like 1

it's not complaning, in my case it's constructive criticism...i love this band, i love that they're back together, at least axl, slash & duff...but we all know they can do better after one year and half of touring the world, nowadays with the social networks this kind of things get old really fast, and to keep it interesting, IMHO they need to refresh it a little bit..

Edited by Gem Archer
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, moreblack said:

Die hard fans are a teaspoon in the ocean of a stadium crowd. But regardless if they do the same show or not, you can only play the same places so many times. During UYI era they changed the setlists more, but still had to downscale from stadiums to arenas by 1993 because they'd tapped North America pretty much dry on their 3rd pass.

yes North America, but not Europe and South America.

I was watching WTTJ from this show and you don't even know how much annoyed i was by Axl not doing the demonic voice on "You're a very sexy girl...". I don't know why, but now if he doesn't do it he just sounds wrong. (sry for complaining tho)

Edited by Endless2404