Guns N Roses Live at the Ritz 87 leaked(complete)!!!

8 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

The version of Crazy they did that night is honestly in my top 3 Guns songs ever.  But I adore that song. lol I'll be adding Ritz 87 to my little Crazy collection.

Best "live" performance they've ever done really. Studio quality performance there.

11 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Probably this performance being one of the final ones to reach perfection:

That was really good. Not sure if the shuffle is set to what we watch individually but right after GnR, Queen at the Rainbow came on, "stone cold crazy", my god. Freddie is my platonic lover, lol!  

One thing that is so noticeable is how with GnR, the focus is all on Axl with a little slash and with Queen, everyone got camera time and they were a unit. I know it's the people around them but those people respond to the law that's laid down by the band making them money. Axl loved it and Freddie said that he was not Queen, all of them were Queen. This plays a huge role in how things turned out. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

So true!! Uncle Slash. Duff is the friend of the kid...LOL!  Love it.  I just love this photo of the guys, captures their distinct personalities so well.  It's also just a great photograph.  If I could enlarge it and put it on my wall I would. Izzy looks distinctly like the leader of the band I reckon.  

I think he sort of was the father of the group right? Axl did follow Izzy from Indiana :lol:

Izzy's biggest contribution to the band may have been their branding. In one of Canter's interviews he mentions how the band was changing the way they dressed based on how Izzy was dressing early on. If you look at their early pictures, you can even spot that evolution.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Given that Izzy recorded a demo tape with Duff in '95 and allegedly had around 50 songs he was bringing to the final '96 sessions w/ Slash (as per Marc Canter) - we can draw two conclusions

So yeah, it appears that it very nearly happened. Marc Canter tried to get all the 5 guys together back in late 1996. Had they somehow made that album, it could have even saved the band or at least given them a respectable final chapter. One of the biggest missed opportunities in rock history imho.

On that note: was watching a 96 Slash interview the other night where  he claims he, Duff and Axl?! wrote 80 songs for those sessions.  80!  I didn't realise it was as many as that.  Don't know whether to believe him to be honest. lol I thought it was...interesting he included Axl in that, since Axl hadn't put lyrics to anything, but anyway.  Imagine combining their 80 with Izzy's 50...yeah, a very big missed opportunity...

1 minute ago, RONIN said:

I think he sort of was the father of the group right? Axl did follow Izzy from Indiana :lol:

Izzy's biggest contribution to the band may have been their branding. In one of Canter's interviews he mentions how the band was changing the way they dressed based on how Izzy was dressing early on. If you look at their early pictures, you can even spot that evolution.

Absolutely. Izzy always imposed his cool, in his own subtle and nonchalant way,  and he was always ahead of anyone else in the band, stylistically and musically (first to get 100% sober too LOL).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

On that note: was watching a 96 Slash interview the other night where  he claims he, Duff and Axl?! wrote 80 songs for those sessions.  80!  I didn't realise it was as many as that.  Don't know whether to believe him to be honest. lol I thought it was...interesting he included Axl in that, since Axl hadn't put lyrics to anything, but anyway.  Imagine combining their 80 with Izzy's 50...yeah, a very big missed opportunity...

Yep, and while the world was still relatively pure/virgin from cell phones and the fucking internet. When talent, real one, was what brought you to the top (more or less)... LOL

30 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Serious question here - can Steven still play at the level this band needs? Maybe he won't be able to handle the brain and sorum material?

I saw those youtube videos of him playing YCBM at some show but it seems like some people thought that his medical conditions/age had finally caught up and affected his playing. 

In any case, I'd agree that Steven's playing is essential to GnR. I can't stand the drumming on Illusions.

steven has said himself that he would play the illusion songs `the right way` -- meaning *his* way -- since he created his own drum parts for half of those songs.

the other ones, the ones he didnt create drum parts for, he would likely play them the steven/GNR way, obviously based on what matt did, and i am sure it would sound fantastic

brain material, man? that was never GNR and will never be. who cares if steven would be able or not to duplicate those complicated and mostly grooveless and boring drum parts? if steven was ever to play those songs, I am sure he would likely play them the steven/GNR way -- and i am also sure they would sound better than whatever brain or frank or whoever other drummer did!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do not think it would work to be honest. The togetherness was broken and can not be put back in place and all this cash floating around messed with their heads. They have also developed into completely different people since 1987, egotists, perfectionists, caricatural 'celebrities', businessmen, hermits, hair rock survivors. At least in 1987 they were walking the same path. Now they'd be pulling in different directions and there would be too much historical baggage. 

man think about the stones

their albums in the 80s, 90s, 00s and 10s are not as good as their albums from the 60s and 70s

BUT there are some very good songs on them

and some of them are actually great

if the five are in a room and willing to make music, it will just pour out of them pretty easy

it will never be as good, of course

but it will most likely be very good

8 hours ago, Almost Famous said:

Well. Guess my yearly visit comes today. 😈✌️

Let’s see. Where to start. The first four and a half songs are not on the tape. Whatcha see is whatcha get.

The backstory; I bought a lot of promo VHS tapes on eBay, two maybe three years ago now. I just assumed the Ritz tape in the lot was the ‘88 show. It sat around my house for a year, year and a half, something like that before I decided to hook up the VCR and watch it. When it came on through that part of Jungle I knew instantly what I had just purchased was a diamond. 

I did a shitty and quick transfer to digitalize the tape and then created the Teaser I posted on youtube. I was contacted by gnrontour, and he expressed interest in doing the transfer. Being a huge fan of the jm78/gnrontour Bootleg releases and what he has done for the Bootleg community over the years, I was immediately on board and willing to send the tape out to him for transferring.

We decided to release it on the 30th Anniversary of the show, simply because of the anniversary. That is partly why I/we sat on it. The other reason was to garner interest from other traders...

I didn’t get anything for the show, no ChiDemos, no VMA Rehearsals, nothing like that at all. Only stating this because I see inquiring minds wondering in this thread. 

Lmao. Can ya roll me a couple joints? Sounds like you’ve got some good smoke. The first songs simply do not exist. Whatcha see is whatcha get. 

Thanks 4 uploading. Your a legend. Such a great show. I almost forgot how good vocally axl used to be. Ohh and that drumming shows how essential a good drummer is. Franks slaughtering those songs. 

Edited by vloors

3 hours ago, RONIN said:

Given that Izzy recorded a demo tape with Duff in '95 and allegedly had around 50 songs he was bringing to the final '96 sessions w/ Slash (as per Marc Canter) - we can draw some conclusions:

1. There probably was going to be a few Izzy songs on the '96 album - like Illusions, they probably were going to mix and match all their solo stuff together. There's an interview snippet from Slash around this time where he mentions that Izzy wants to write with the band but doesn't want to deal with the Axl drama.

2. Duff and Slash in desperation may have toyed with bringing in Izzy at the last minute to save those 96 sessions when it appeared that Axl would not get rid of Paul Huge. 

3. As per Duff's late 90's interviews, Izzy was waiting to see if they could sort out their drama before returning to the fold. 

So yeah, it appears that it very nearly happened. Marc Canter tried to get all the 5 guys together back in late 1996. Had they somehow made that album, it could have even saved the band or at least given them a respectable final chapter. One of the biggest missed opportunities in rock history imho.

I feel sorry for Marc,he was dismiss, i not heard more he 😶

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Right. And when you read Duff's book, he basically says there was nothing - they couldn't even record any music. Slash's book mentions just aimless jam sessions that didn't amount to anything. With no Axl vocals of course. I guess the guys were putting up a brave front in the 90's and talking about how they had a bunch of awesome songs but it's probably a Robin Finck type situation - i.e. stacks of jam sessions in Axl's vault (instrumental #4,785 - Paul Tobias/Slash/Duff/Dizzy).

2 hours ago, ludurigan said:

steven has said himself that he would play the illusion songs `the right way` -- meaning *his* way -- since he created his own drum parts for half of those songs.

the other ones, the ones he didnt create drum parts for, he would likely play them the steven/GNR way, obviously based on what matt did, and i am sure it would sound fantastic

If Civil War was any indication, I'm sure Steven would have sounded awesome on the Illusions. 

brain material, man? that was never GNR and will never be. who cares if steven would be able or not to duplicate those complicated and mostly grooveless and boring drum parts? if steven was ever to play those songs, I am sure he would likely play them the steven/GNR way -- and i am also sure they would sound better than whatever brain or frank or whoever other drummer did!

Okay, wait just a minute here - didn't you and I agree some time before that Brain was an awesomely groovy drummer? :lol: Tell me you wouldn't take Brain over Sorum. ;)

3 hours ago, ludurigan said:

man think about the stones

their albums in the 80s, 90s, 00s and 10s are not as good as their albums from the 60s and 70s

BUT there are some very good songs on them

and some of them are actually great

if the five are in a room and willing to make music, it will just pour out of them pretty easy

it will never be as good, of course

but it will most likely be very good

They are not The Rolling Stones though. The Stones have a relatively unbroken history and stable line-up, 1962 - present. There has only been one significant hiatus, 1983 -89, and they still produced an album even then - the Stones in fact have been staggeringly prolific album producers throughout, only slowing down when the 1990s arrived. Guns N' Roses are more like the Sex Pistols or Stone Roses, one album sort of band which simply could not continue beyond their moment for a multitude of reasons. 

Guns N' Roses are like a butterfly in fact, a thing of wonderment but with a short time span. I basically think they were over after the 1980s. You hit the 90s and ''Cool Ranch Dressing'', Dizzy Reed and the little white shorts arrive and you know in your heart it is all over. There were some good stuff during the Illusions era but it all looks rather shit when you fling things like that Ritz VHS on.  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Where is the version with better video?

I saw it in the column on the right...

Edit: Actually, the link from this forum is the one with better video, the other one has better audio.

Edited by jamillos

Audiences are also shit now. Look at that crowd on the Ritz 87 and there is obviously a syncretic energy between band and crowd.

If Guns released a new album today and played a chunk of it, there would be a bunch of middle class people saying, ''I've paid £200 for songs I do not know - play November Rain and Sweet Child so I can stand here like a goal post filming it on my phone''

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You hit the 90s and ''Cool Ranch Dressing'', Dizzy Reed and the little white shorts arrive and you know in your heart it is all over. 

Lol

Cool ranch dressing ...never understood it but learned to let it wash over me because I like the song.

The 80s were magnificent but UYI albums I really love as well, there was no forum then to discuss all this so maybe I missed something big, were a lot of people upset with UYI?

i recall getting mocked by friends and acquaintances for liking GnR so much and a lot of these people , once liked GnR, liked some appetite,  but then they were done. Some were almost hostile about it or acted as if it was dated and remedial.  I didn't realize that some people thought they went downhill , in my mind they were still at their peak, it seemed completely natural when those albums came out. 

For me, it was seamless, equally thrilled . There was a lot on UYI albums to dissect. I was shocked when they broke up, truly. I never thought they wouldn't get back together , boy was I foolish . For a solid 10 years, I earnestly believed it. Damn you GnR! Haha

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

They are not The Rolling Stones though. The Stones have a relatively unbroken history and stable line-up, 1962 - present. There has only been one significant hiatus, 1983 -89, and they still produced an album even then - the Stones in fact have been staggeringly prolific album producers throughout, only slowing down when the 1990s arrived. Guns N' Roses are more like the Sex Pistols or Stone Roses, one album sort of band which simply could not continue beyond their moment for a multitude of reasons. 

Guns N' Roses are like a butterfly in fact, a thing of wonderment but with a short time span. I basically think they were over after the 1980s. You hit the 90s and ''Cool Ranch Dressing'', Dizzy Reed and the little white shorts arrive and you know in your heart it is all over. There were some good stuff during the Illusions era but it all looks rather shit when you fling things like that Ritz VHS on.  

Come on - you're throwing the Illusions under the bus DD. I know they were winding down during that era, but this is from '91:

I get what you're saying but the Illusions are essentially 2 albums worth of material which sets them apart from the Pistols. I would agree that GnR do have a lot of the same energy and vibe of the Pistols, particularly during the AFD era but they have about 3.5 albums worth of original material if we're being fair. I know you have major issues with the Illusions' live shows but '91 (aside from Sorum) was still prime era Guns wouldn't you say?

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Come on - you're throwing the Illusions under the bus DD. I know they were winding down during that era, but this is from '91:

I get what you're saying but the Illusions are essentially 2 albums worth of material which sets them apart from the Pistols. I would agree that GnR do have a lot of the same energy and vibe of the Pistols, particularly during the AFD era but they have about 3.5 albums worth of original material if we're being fair. I know you have major issues with the Illusions' live shows but '91 (aside from Sorum) was still prime era Guns wouldn't you say?

I'm not saying there isn't good stuff on the albums and 1991 shows - I myself like the Izzy songs - but the Illusions do not hold a candle to Appetite and it is the same for the respective tours. 

• Like 1