Guns N Roses Live at the Ritz 87 leaked(complete)!!!

12 hours ago, scooby845 said:

Is this one better than 1988?

Thoughts?

I'll have to sit on the fence with that one.

87 is absolute perfection performance wise, Izzy's guitar is growling and Slash's playing is perfect..the rhythm section must've done some damage to the buildings foundations its absolutely crushing and Axl's flying.....and Reckless Life!

88 performance wise has it's flaws and the guitars sound nowhere near as beefy. It however encapsulates the danger of GNR, it's all hanging by a thread and beautifully chaotic. Better filming obviously.

• Like 2

Now, we need the San Juan 2010 Pro-Shot to be released:

The setlist and the performance of all members are great! Axl's vocals are very good in this concert! We are in 2017 now, it has been 7 years since the concert happened and Slash and Duff came back in 2016, why doesn't the holderย release this concert? It doesn't make sense holding it anymore.๏ปฟ

On 24/10/2017 at 7:06 PM, AncientEvil80 said:

The band NEEDS Steven just like it needs the other GNR guys. Nothing more, nothing less.

If one cannot perceive the magic that GNR were in those few months, and are willing to accept any other incarnation of the band as equal, simply DO NOT GET IT.

i changed AFD for GNR and made your words my words

thanks

1 hour ago, diegodasilva23 said:

Now, we need the San Juan 2010 Pro-Shot to be released:

ย 

speak for yourself man, i dont need any of that! :rofl-lol:

On 25/10/2017 at 7:32 AM, scooby845 said:

Is this one better than 1988?

Thoughts?

obviously not

ritz 1988 is a star-making performance. probably the best video recording of a rock performance. EVER. fantastic camera work (like 18 million times better than japan 1992, for example) and truly fantastic audio quality. i actually believe that 90% of Guns n Roses shows captured in 1986-1989 by that video/audio crew who shot the Ritz 1988 would be just as fantastic. But the fact is that we do not have other video recordings in that great quality so we will never know.

ritz 1987 is a great show, the camera work is very poor if you ask me, and its a shame that it is totally axl-centric. I feel the band is much LESS tight here than in 1988. Axl looks a lot `greener` here. Axl has a much less dominant stage presence here than in 1988. But hey, I am not complaining! This is the best GNR video to surface in years, i fucking love it and i am planning to watch it a lot of times!

Edited by ludurigan
  • Thanks 1

Wow, kind of fun to watch that after seeing a show this week. ย A different beastย entirely! I am so grateful and glad thatย most ofย this band is out there touring at the moment - it has made my year. ย But this kind of stuff makes me wish for a time machine.

ย 

Like that billboard in LA last year..." I want a ticket to see Guns N Roses in 1986", or something like that.

• Like 2

On 24/10/2017 at 9:47 PM, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

On that note: was watching a 96 Slash interview the other night where ย heย claims he, Duff and Axl?! wrote 80 songs for those sessions.

20 hours ago, RONIN said:

Okay, wait just a minute here - didn't you and I agree some time before that Brain was an awesomely groovy drummer?ย :lol:ย Tell me you wouldn't take Brain over Sorum.ย ;)

ย 

i remember you posted a video of brain OUT of axls band and he sounded great on a piece of it. i loved it. i guess it was a solo. that video shows that he has groove. none of that groove is on axls album, au contraire! his drums (or whoever drums, since it was another guy who `wrote` those drums) on that axl solo album are unlistenable to me, like most of that album really!

• GNFNR 1

The thing with Ritz '88 is that Slash is brutally out of tune for a lot of it. I'm all for chaotic , on the verge of falling apart, andย rock n roll looseness even if it veers into sloppy... but out of tune guitars are a different matter.ย  It makes it tough to listen to. For me anyway.

7 hours ago, ludurigan said:

obviously not

ritz 1988 is a star-making performance. probably the best video recording of a rock performance. EVER. fantastic camera work (like 18 million times better than japan 1992, for example) and truly fantastic audio quality. sometimes i wonder that ANY Guns n Roses show captured in 1986-1989 by that video/audio crew who shot the Ritz 1988 would be just as fantastic. But the fact is that we do not have other recordings in that great quality so we will never know.

ritz 1987 is a great show, the camera work is very poor if you ask me, and its a shame that it is totally axl-centric. I feel the band is much LESS tight here than in 1988. Axl looks a lot `greener` here. Axl has a much less dominant stage presence here than in 1988. But hey, I am not complaining! This is the best GNR video to surface in years, i fucking love it and i am planning to watch it a lot of times!

Agree with your first paragraph but couldn't disagree more with your second - but I'd say there's a pretty good reason for that. ^^

I thought I'd seen it all when it comes to Axl performances and stage presence but that Ritz 87 gig was a sight to behold. ย We er...sensibly discussed this in the WT (there may have been one or two drool emojis)ย and there was a general agreement that he was in fact, completely mesmerising in a very different way to the 88 gig. ย 

Oozing sex appeal is what Axl has always done, but here, it's not so aggressive (as you pointed out, he's less dominant). ย He's more sensual than sexual. ย Your point about him being 'green' is spot on and explains it - he's unaware, at this stage, of just how alluring he is, or theย impact of it anyway. ย This comesย across in his all his movements; the hip swivels seem more natural, theย hand gestures are unconscious, winking at the crowd at the end of Jungle, 'This looks like a nice play to stage dive' = hot girls there - said playfully. ย Thank you @janrichmondย for catching that.ย ย Actually, he doesn't have to do anything but stand still to hold our gaze. ย Well, maybe not yours!

Still, after watching thatย I don't care what your gender or sexual orientation, if you don't feel a semblance ofย Axl sexy time vibes after that you ain't human.ย :lol:

Check out whenย David Mustaine leaps up onย stage and briefly putsย his hand on Axl'sย waist -ย Axl looks as if he's a bitย rattled by that - makes you wonder what Muscatine whispered to him! LOL

Edit: I also think the band are tighter for 87 than 88

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle

24 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Agree with your first paragraph but couldn't disagree more with your second - but I'd say there's a pretty good reason for that. ^^

I thought I'd seen it all when it comes to Axl performances and stage presence but that Ritz 87 gig was a sight to behold. ย We er...sensibly discussed this in the WT (there may have been one or two drool emojis)ย and there was a general agreement that he was in fact, completely mesmerising in a very different way to the 88 gig. ย 

Oozing sex appeal is what Axl has always done, but here, it's not so aggressive (as you pointed out, he's less dominant). ย He's more sensual than sexual. ย Your point about him being 'green' is spot on and explains it - he's unaware, at this stage, of just how alluring he is, or theย impact of it anyway. ย This comesย across in his all his movements; the hip swivels seem more natural, theย hand gestures are unconscious, winking at the crowd at the end of Jungle, 'This looks like a nice play to stage dive' = hot girls there - said playfully. ย Thank you @janrichmondย for catching that.ย ย Actually, he doesn't have to do anything but stand still to hold our gaze. ย Well, maybe not yours!

Still, after watching thatย I don't care what your gender or sexual orientation, if you don't feel a semblance ofย Axl sexy time vibes after that you ain't human.ย :lol:

Check out whenย David Mustaine leaps up onย stage and briefly putsย his hand on Axl'sย waist -ย Axl looks as if he's a bitย rattled by that - makes you wonder what Muscatine whispered to him! LOL

Edit: I also think the band are tighter for 87 than 88

I couldn't agree more. Great summary of what has been said in the WT and here.

Makes me think of their other shows in 86 and 87 that can be found on youtube.ย Axl must have been in a especially mellow mood that Ritz 87 day. Watchย some Roxy etc. gigs in 86 / 87, there he is veryย different. More aggressive, rawer, sweatier, wilder.ย Also more assless chaps. lol. In Ritz 87 he is in a sweet mood -ย compared to his default Axl mode -ย which gives his performance something extra. It is great to see how indivdually distinctย each show of them was. This and their music, their groove, the sync of the guitars, their flaws, rawness, great performance and - lets's bloody face it boys and girls -ย sexiness,ย is what makes them so fucking unique.ย 

Edited by Tori72
  • Like 1

I don't get all the hype for the Ritz 88 show... I think that the only reason that it's such a beloved show is because it's the best quality recording of the AFD Tour and lineup, the show in it self isn't very good in my opinion. The band is not tight, Axl's vocals is all over the place, Slash is out of tune and his playing is not very good either.

But then that's just my opinion as a GN'R bootleg junkie.

Edited by youngswedishvinyl

Awesome show but I'm a little disappointing by the audio mix tbh. I think I still prefer this crappy audio to the one in the pro-shot version.

ย 

But it is nice to finally connect a visual to the audio...

Also, what the fuck did Dave Mustaine think he was doing on stage? :lol:ย 

Edited by KiraMPD

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I actually loved the mix. You can really hear Duffy's bass and Stradlin's guitar.ย 

Idk, it sounds a little disjointed and less cohesive to me. In the audience recording on the other hand, shitty as it is, everyone is turned up to 11 and I can hear each member clearly and the dynamics of each song sounds better. The only complain I have about that version is that Axl is maybe a little too loudย but in the proshot version he almost sounds like he's struggling which reduces the impact of the songs imo (I'd rather the vocals be a little too loud and sound powerful instead of the opposite).

ย 

Anyway, it's just my personal preference.:shrugs:

ย 

Just now, Len Cnut said:

The best rock n roll is played by pissed people.ย  This is something that people don't like in this right on era of 'you don't have to do drugs'...which they're right, you don't and if you're shit being pissed won't make you any better and if you can't handle your ale it will make you shit but a man like Slash, who can clearly handle his ale, can make a cool racket whilst pissed and playing, loosens you up a bit.ย  Sobriety makes you very aware and consequentially anal about stuff, Keith Richards is a brilliant example of this, sloppy playing but it sounds fantastic and it almost plays into the band dynamic, to me Keith Richards is the time-keeper of The Stones, like Wyman said Charlie Watts follows Keith and he Wyman followed Watts so theres a sort of a loose dynamic there that is to do with mili-seconds almost (and there's me moaning about anal people) which creates a really interesting, really loose sound that is also somehow quite driving.ย  Though comparing The Stones to GnR is like comparing Winston Churchill to Boris Johnson.

Exactly. All the great Jazz musicians were on heroin. The greatest Stones albums were made on junk (and just about everything else!). Marijuanaย opened up Dylan and the Beatles' stream of consciousness, and inspired the latter's studio experimentation.ย Neil Young made Tonight the Night drunk on bacardi and On the Beach stoned on ''honey slides'' (weed sauteed with honey).ย Guns N' Roses made their best music when they were on junk and booze.

I also think the role of drugs in destroying Guns is completely overrated. Egos and money killed Guns, not drugs and booze. On that 1987 show Izzy, Slash and Adler have most likely shot up just before the show, and no doubt Duff has booze in his system. Slash can be seen swigging from a bottle of whisky. Yet it is the band in their absoluteย pomp. Compare it to today, in their sobriety:ย complete rubbish in comparison.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

The best rock n roll is played by pissed people.ย  This is something that people don't like in this right on era of 'you don't have to do drugs'...which they're right, you don't and if you're shit being pissed won't make you any better and if you can't handle your ale it will make you shit but a man like Slash, who can clearly handle his ale, can make a cool racket whilst pissed and playing, loosens you up a bit.ย  Sobriety makes you very aware and consequentially anal about stuff, Keith Richards is a brilliant example of this, sloppy playing but it sounds fantastic and it almost plays into the band dynamic, to me Keith Richards is the time-keeper of The Stones, like Wyman said Charlie Watts follows Keith and he Wyman followed Watts so theres a sort of a loose dynamic there that is to do with mili-seconds almost (and there's me moaning about anal people) which creates a really interesting, really loose sound that is also somehow quite driving.ย  Though comparing The Stones to GnR is like comparing Winston Churchill to Boris Johnson.

"See, I think drugs have done some good things for us, I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor - go home tonight and take all your albums, all your tapes, and all your CDs and burn 'em. Cause you know what? The musicians who've made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years... rrrrrrrrrrrrreal fucking high on drugs"

ย 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Exactly. All the great Jazz musicians were on heroin. The greatest Stones albums were made on junk (and just about everything else!). Marijuanaย opened up Dylan and the Beatles' stream of consciousness, and inspired the latter's studio experimentation.ย Neil Young made Tonight the Night drunk on bacardi and On the Beach stoned on ''honey slides'' (weed sauteed with honey).ย Guns N' Roses made their best music when they were on junk and booze.

I also think the role of drugs in destroying Guns is completely overrated. Egos and money killed Guns, not drugs and booze. On that 1987 show Izzy, Slash and Adler have most likely shot up just before the show, and no doubt Duff has booze in his system. Slash can be seen swigging from a bottle of whisky. Yet it is the band in their absoluteย pomp. Compare it to today, in their sobriety:ย complete rubbish in comparison.

its the rhythm section you wanna keep off the skag, more accurately drummers and bass players...though, again, some fantastic jazz drummers were skagheads.ย  Horn players are great on skag cuz they kinda float on top anyway.ย  It all depends on your drummer and his judiciousness in taking skag...and it can be done.

• Like 1