Nu GnR: Doomed to fail

Isn't Paul said to work a nondescript job in finance?  I thought I remember someone here saying that?

Maybe Duff hired him at his firm as the first step in his plot that ended 8 years later with that "chance encounter" with Axl at the hotel that eventually produced the regrouping?  j/k

36 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Oh, I knew that part, but I just didn't know why he goes by two names.  Axl's not the only one to refer to him as Huge (though it makes sense for Axl to cal him that).  I think Duff referred to him as Huge if I'm remembering correctly?  Various others either call Huge or Tobias.  The name usage seems to chop and change depending on the people? Maybe it's all becoming a blur... 

Yeah, Axl called him that probably because that's how he knew him from school back in Indiana, but iirc at some point he said "Paul Tobias - you may know him as Paul Huge". He was also credited as Huge on the Back Off Bitch liner notes. I think too that Duff referred to him as Huge. Slash also called him Paul Huge in his interviews of the time, then in his book he wrote that he calls himself Tobias for unknown reasons. It seems that he changed his last name to Tobias at some point for personal reasons.

Spoiler

izzyhugeyearbook78.jpg.82ecc2df6f0298a52952803d137b0e28.jpg

Unknown where he is now and what he's doing.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, soon said:

Theres a video interview (loud wire maybe?) with BBF about the Storm Trooper helmet.  Apparently some one in audience had it and it ended up being given to BBF.  And then he needed to lift it off of face to perform some guitar heroics because he couldnt see, but it kept slipping down!  haha.  

BBF tells that he wasn't a life long party animal, but that after his accident and not being given time to recoup from TB/Axl he was drinking heavily and dabbling with prescription abuse at that time.

also:  this thread is amazing!  Great links and great insights! 

I didn't know that about the prescription abuse - thanks for the info. 

Was there anyone associated with Axl who didn't have 'issues'?  Someone in the old GNR line up once made a similar remark, that GNR somehow tainted everyone who came into contact with them.  Might have been Duff who said it.

Yep, this is a great thread, kinda wish we had a single thread devoted to NuGuns with an index but I guess no one is going to be arsed doing that. lol

@RONIN That's a spectacular mullet Tobias is sporting. :lol:

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle

7 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I didn't know that about the prescription abuse - thanks for the info. 

Was there anyone associated with Axl who didn't have 'issues'?  Someone in the old GNR line up once made a similar remark, that GNR somehow tainted everyone who came into contact with them.  Might have been Duff who said it.

Yep, this is a great thread, kinda wish we had a single thread devoted to NuGuns with an index but I guess no one is going to be arsed doing that. lol

@RONIN That's a spectacular mullet Tobias is sporting. :lol:

I think it was a short time for BBFs self medicating and included a semi-serious attempt at overdosing in a moment of despair - as he tells it.  So true about the 'issues!'  Gibly seems adjusted and fit and only lasted a few years in the band.  I've also heard people here muse about the curse of GNR lead guitarists: Slashs heart (and dying I guess too!  Plus drooling and pissing himself), Buckets rare disease that I forget in this moment and BBF car accident and cancer.  Not sure about Tracii or Finck.  

You should start that thread!  And the other GNR history one you mentioned. The index for NuGnR one would have some interesting headings, like "People Herbie told off on behalf of Buckethead"

13 minutes ago, soon said:

I think it was a short time for BBFs self medicating and included a semi-serious attempt at overdosing in a moment of despair - as he tells it.  So true about the 'issues!'  Gibly seems adjusted and fit and only lasted a few years in the band.  I've also heard people here muse about the curse of GNR lead guitarists: Slashs heart (and dying I guess too!  Plus drooling and pissing himself), Buckets rare disease that I forget in this moment and BBF car accident and cancer.  Not sure about Tracii or Finck.  

You should start that thread!  And the other GNR history one you mentioned. The index for NuGnR one would have some interesting headings, like "People Herbie told off on behalf of Buckethead"

Poor guy, I know he cops a bit of a bashing round here but I don't mind Bumblefoot.  He seems like a nice, gentle soul and he was gracious about the whole reunion thing, saying he'd only 'get in the way'.  He said in that recent podcast that he was genuinely torn about leaving the band and Axl.  Yes, Gilby does seem more well adjusted than the others.  He still looks fit and well and he's the same age as Axl, too.  No grandma hair for Gilby though!  Wonder if DJ Ashba is safe from the curse? :lol:  

LOL at your index heading!! I'm out of likes. Is there even another band with a weirdness factor as high as NuGuns?  And I think there are far more qualified people than me to start such threads... @RONIN @Blackstar for starters. ;) 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Poor guy, I know he cops a bit of a bashing round here but I don't mind Bumblefoot.  He seems like a nice, gentle soul and he was gracious about the whole reunion thing, saying he'd only 'get in the way'.  He said in that recent podcast that he was genuinely torn about leaving the band and Axl.  Yes, Gilby does seem more well adjusted than the others.  He still looks fit and well and he's the same age as Axl, too.  No grandma hair for Gilby though!  Wonder if DJ Ashba is safe from the curse? :lol:  

LOL at your index heading!! I'm out of likes. Is there even another band with a weirdness factor as high as NuGuns?  And I think there are far more qualified people than me to start such threads... @RONIN @Blackstar for starters. ;) 

Well, I dont know what it is, but somethings clearly wrong with DJ Ashba too :lol:.  BBF does seem like a nice dude - I like him more now that he's not in GNR and have been getting my prog metal on a bit lately as a result.  Im sure my impression of him is benefited by the fact that I didn't follow the band closely when he wore a Shriners cap over a mullet and a trench coat.  Gilby's hair would be frizzy with out all that grease paint weighting it down, no doubt.

I second your 'vote' for one of them to start it up.  NuGuns is a deep well with much more weirdness to be brought to the surface.

I was surfing through some of the RIR III vids on youtube and what blows me away now is seeing Buckethead playing second fiddle to Finck. If you could see beneath that mask, he's gotta be bored during songs like Patience and SCOM. If Slash was bored by waiting for his guitar parts in NR/Estranged, you can imagine how one of the world's greatest players feel when they're benched during large parts of the show so that a far inferior guitarist can play lead. I can't imagine that this went down well with Bucket even if he isn't an ego-driven musician. 

Bumblefoot, charmingly open with fans, was the only newgnr member who wasn't mind-warped like Guns do to everyone in and affiliated with that band. They all go through a similar treatment as the one Alex endured in Clockwork Orange

giphy.gif&op=noop

That is Beta putting the eye drops in by the way.

Slash and Duff went through this procedure which is why they are playing Chinese Democracy songs. 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I was surfing through some of the RIR III vids on youtube and what blows me away now is seeing Buckethead playing second fiddle to Finck. If you could see beneath that mask, he's gotta be bored during songs like Patience and SCOM. If Slash was bored by waiting for his guitar parts in NR/Estranged, you can imagine how one of the world's greatest players feel when they're benched during large parts of the show so that a far inferior guitarist can play lead. I can't imagine that this went down well with Bucket even if he isn't an ego-driven musician. 

Yeah, I really admire them both as artists, but Buckethead shouldnt be sidelined to performances like that Patience.  Likely Axl had to balance the demands made by two lead players for note count.  And yet, Bucket would often use much of his solo to dance, hand out toys and do nunchucks. 

I don't know, Axl seemed pretty high on DJ Ashba... and there were plenty of storied of a song Axl wrote with DJ, and the songs Axl played fro DJ. 

Personally I'm glad that we never heard that DJ /Axl co-write... thanks to whatever god prevented that, owe ya one bud!

As far as everything else goes.

People responsible for the delay - Axl, the label, management; in that order. Too many people in Axls ear, making him second guess himself and he was too insecure at the time to not say "fuck off and let me make the record I want" and to be fair to Axl, he was getting shit on from all sides in the press, Slash and Duff were out there thrashing him and everybody was taken what they said as gospel, so while he had to deal with replacing key members, he was now the bad guy and it was "well after breaking up the best rock band of the last 20yrs he better be making a masterpiece", all of this is trickling back to Axl and slowing things down even further. Yes, it's his fault at the end of the day but there's more to the story.

Now as far as the new band always being in a state of falling apart, that was clearly Axls fault... band members emailing management for months and not getting replies or any info, and then all of sudden there's plans and whatever plans the band members had, had to be put on hold. The whole thing was a joke, and it really was no great surprise that things came to a head in 2014, it should have happened in 2011.

• Like 1

Then there were all those people in Guns who were quasi-members, sort of members but not quite full members (nobody is really sure?) based on Rose's strange conception of a 'Guns N' Roses in terminal flux'. 

Gary Sunshine reigns supreme on a list which includes David Navarro and Zakk Wylde.

18 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

completely disappeared from the face of the earth in 2002 after playing a mere four shows and nobody has seen him since!! 

He worked on soundtracks and stock music with Brain and Melissa, some of which you can listen at an album called Eclectic Cinema.

I believe Tobias along with Brain and Melissa was still workin on Chinese Democracy tracks/remixes until the reunion started. Some say the reason Brain is out touring with Buckethead now is because Axl finally thinks the job on that is "done" and the paychecks are over, so maybe thats the reason why we havent heard of Tobias and even Brain that much in the past.

I believe someone said in a interview that Tobias was still involved in the band, so maybe thats it.

On 30/10/2017 at 9:59 PM, RussTCB said:

My calling Axl "The Problem" was in reference to releasing of new material and moving forward. So he's still the problem :lol:

Dude, I can't access the forum on my PC. "Error. The request could not be satisfied. Request blocked. Generated by Cloud front" 

But I can access it on my phone. Any ideas? 

OK, here is why "NuGuns" didn't click or get off the ground, as much as they could have. The majority of the public had not seen the band at all in like what, 9 years....then the first time you see them on TV here's what you see:

+On Keyboards: An Anorexic Dime Bag Darrell and a Village People Reject

+On Drums: A guy pulled from a local bar band, with a residency every Saturday Night, starting at 9:00PM

+On Bass: Bassist on loan from the Brian Setzer Orchestra

+On Rhythm and Lead Guitars: 1. A Cenobite from the Hell Raiser Movies   2. A Guy that arrived at Party City too late on Halloween Day, and had to pick from the costume left overs.  3. A Cashier at the local Pac-Sun department store

and finally:

+Front Man: The lead singer of The Offspring

THIS WAS JUST A HUGE JUMBLE WITH NO IDENTITY, TRYING TO SOMEHOW PIECE TOGETHER. 

++Axl's performance didn't help matters either, Patton Oswalt even made reference to it in stand-up:

That "first impression" on that night was a huge factor in why the band didn't come together. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, soon said:

Yeah, I really admire them both as artists, but Buckethead shouldnt be sidelined to performances like that Patience.  Likely Axl had to balance the demands made by two lead players for note count.  And yet, Bucket would often use much of his solo to dance, hand out toys and do nunchucks. 

The dancing/toy giveaway has been part of his own shows forever. (Although he did dance/nunchuck last year when i saw him when he was solo, yesterday, he only did a toy giveaway, but i attribute that to the fact that hes touring with Brain and Dan Monti now and doesnt use any backing track of any sort as he did in the past).

15 minutes ago, Mendez said:

The dancing/toy giveaway has been part of his own shows forever. (Although he did dance/nunchuck last year when i saw him when he was solo, yesterday, he only did a toy giveaway, but i attribute that to the fact that hes touring with Brain and Dan Monti now and doesnt use any backing track of any sort as he did in the past).

Yeah , for sure. Just saying that in NuGuns he'd sometimes just stand there with nothing to do and then still stick to his schtick in the solo. We missed out on a lot of Buckethead potential in NuGuns, imo.  Ive never got to see him live - were you there in person last night, too?  I really hope he comes my way

3 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

Dude, I can't access the forum on my PC. "Error. The request could not be satisfied. Request blocked. Generated by Cloud front" 

But I can access it on my phone. Any ideas? 

Try to use VPN.

I had exactly the same problem a few weeks ago . I couldn't access the forum through my home wi-fi on any device unless I used VPN,  but I could from other wi-fi spots and with my phone data connection.  It was fixed on its own (?) after a couple of days.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, soon said:

Yeah , for sure. Just saying that in NuGuns he'd sometimes just stand there with nothing to do and then still stick to his schtick in the solo. We missed out on a lot of Buckethead potential in NuGuns, imo.  Ive never got to see him live - were you there in person last night, too?  I really hope he comes my way

Yeah i went last night. It was a great show. Loud but still crowd (which is good for some people, i personally prefer rowdy crowds with pits). Brain was awesome, wish he was still with GNR instead of Frank. Hes got a groove, but he also just bashes right into the drums. Buckethead was awesome as always. He played some more calmer/emotional songs than he usually did last tour which was definitely a treat. It didnt feel like a Buckethead, Brain definetely quite a bit of spotlight moments during the songs, as did Dan Monti to a lesser extent

Edited by Mendez

NuGNR could have worked. The problem was:

-A lack of a steady stream of new material to reinforce that THIS is Guns N' Roses now. If NuGNR released albums in say, 1999, 2001, 2003, etc...The public would have eventually accepted it.

-No cohesive image or identity. The AFD/TSI lineups had a generally cohesive "Rock" image and identity. You had a band fronted by a guy wearing dreads and jerseys like a rapper singing 80s rock songs. You had a guitarist who looked like Michael Myers with a KFC bucket on his head. A Goth secondary guitarist. A Punk bassist. A non-descript drummer. There was no cohesiveness, no identity. 

-No hit singles.

-Axl's voice. If he had been singing at 2006 levels in 2001 and 2002 it would've helped.

• Like 1