Nu GnR: Doomed to fail

Guys came and went (laughs). Originally it was gonna be a two-guitar player group. I split forever so I thought and went back to Nine Inch Nails. In my absence they were looking to replace me and Josh Freese, the drummer at the time, had brought Buckethead in to essentially fill the slot I had left. They really liked him but he's kind of a stunt guitar player. He does a very specific thing and he has a real genius sensibility about him. But he rarely plays the same thing twice ever and when you're trying to cruise through "Nightrain" that just makes it a little (laughs) too different. So they needed someone to anchor the songs. They kept Buckethead to do what Buckethead does and they needed someone else to play alongside.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/interviews/robin_finck_ive_been_very_blessed_with_the_opportunities_and_ive_enjoyed_saying_yes_to_them.html

(fantastic interview with Robin Finck)

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

I think that Finck and Buckethead were a great lead guitar duo with loads of potential. That instrumental they did together at RIR III was something they could've used for a whole song. 

It appears that neither liked each other very much (allegedly).

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

Bucket and Robin with Axl could have been incredible in anything that didn't carry the name Guns N Roses. Axl shot himself in the foot or probably the head by maintaining the name. Ultimately the weight of gnr brought this version of the band down, the cast Axl assembled would have done great in any other play. 

Agreed also the fact they never put out any music hurt allot.

Interesting question would be what would be a good name for the band if Axl decided to go with something else?

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

Bucket and Robin with Axl could have been incredible in anything that didn't carry the name Guns N Roses. Axl shot himself in the foot or probably the head by maintaining the name. Ultimately the weight of gnr brought this version of the band down, the cast Axl assembled would have done great in any other play. 

Yeah. The weight and power of GN’R is too much for them. It takes special power and skills and flair to carry the name. True sleazy rockstars, not weirdos.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

Interesting question would be what would be a good name for the band if Axl decided to go with something else?

Hard to put out music when you are still trying to bury AFD. 

Id go with "A Bucket of Shit"...kidding, hopefully something simple but cool

1 minute ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Yeah. The weight and power of GN’R is too much for them. It takes special power and skills and flair to carry the name. True sleazy rockstars, not weirdos.

It takes the people that created GNR to be GNR. It shouldn't be a hard concept. 

42 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

Unpopular opinion but I always thought that Chinese Democracy would’ve been a killer band name. I’m dead serious here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

A good name for the trio: "Nine Inch Bucket of Roses"

• Haha 1

Thing is, nine years after the release of the album, fifteen years after the lineup that wrote it disbanded, and even two years after Slash and Duff returned in GnR, people are still talking about it, about how much it wasn't GnR.

Like it or not, for all the wrong reasons maybe, it seems like it did make an impact, at least within the fanbase. 

7 hours ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

In no way am I trying to discredit Buckethead's talent. But somone wearing a mask and a fried chicken container on their head did not, does not, and never will need be onstage as a member of GNR. He and Gothic Finck made Guns a pathetic novelty act.

When I was in college, and this "NuGuns" line-up did the VMA's in 2002....I was excited to see to see them, when I realized the "hints" given pointed to GnR performing that night, especially after seeing a report about the Vegas Shows, RIR, etc........and imagine what a let-down I had afterwards.....My roommate watched it with me, and basically stated what I was thinking to myself: First thing out of his mouth was,"What was that??? All those new guys looked ridiculous."

That's what I was thinking to myself, I thought you have one guy dressed in a plaid suit, one wearing a KFC bucket/mask on his head, one with a half-shaved head that looked like he stepped out of a David Lynch movie, and Axl with dreads, wearing a Jerry Rice jersey??? I understand they were trying to have a new look/feel, incorporating with the style/scene at that time...but this in no way was a cohesive unit in any way...just looked like one big jumble attempting to come together....

My second thought at that time was.... "What happened to Axl's voice??? He must be a smoker."  That was the first time I'd heard "Micky" come out, and noticed he was out of breath just trying to sing Welcome to the Jungle, and not the whole song at that.....I kind of thought he must have taken to cigarettes over the years, to explain change of voice/loss of breath. Anyway.....just seemed like that whole unit just did not click together after watching that performance, and time showed, that you just can't replace an original. 

• Like 2

Man if even half of those little nuggests of inner-drama are true, that whole era of GNR was just a total weird trainwreck, like I always felt like after the reunion, nu-GNR seems like if Marty McFly went back in time and altered 1955 Hill Valley so when he went back to the present everything was weird and not normal

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

In no way am I trying to discredit Buckethead's talent. But somone wearing a mask and a fried chicken container on their head did not, does not, and never will need be onstage as a member of GNR. He and Gothic Finck made Guns a pathetic novelty act.

Seriously.. I went and saw them once and those two are what made the show seem like a complete joke.

I think one problem with the record is that to a hardcore Guns fan, we all had heard at least half the record for years. Axl really should have released it at least around 2003 at the latest. At that point, the production would have still sounded modern and the songs we already knew would be only a year or two old as far as we knew at that point. I would love for them to take that record, strip it to two guitars and record it the way the current line up performs it. No need to really redo Axl’s vocals which is what would take the most time. Release it as a deluxe version of the record with three discs. Disc 1 would be the redone version with Slash and co, disc 2 would be the original version already released, disc 3 could be demos, remixes, etc. This would require next to zero time for them to get done. Yes I would rather have a totally new record but I will take what I can get. lol

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

The only reason Chinese was doomed to fail was because of the lead singer, Axl Rose. It was an otherwise brilliant team of genius musicians that could’ve made some killer music. 

I would say even the team was fatally flawed from the outset. You don't mix actual artistic talent (Bucket, Brain, Finck, Freese, Bumble) w/ paycheck warriors (Stinson, Fortus, Tobias, Dizzy) and have a hanger-on like Del oversee things along with Tobias and Stinson. They never had a chance with that type of band dynamic.

• Like 1