Couple Questions Involving the '93-'99 Years of GnR...

I've been reading a year by year topic entitled, "Chinese Whispers--The Secret History of the New Studio Album," found within another GnR forum. It is a very interesting read, especially the years the band was basically deemed "inactive" in the public eye. I've read from years '93-'02 so far on the topic, and will continue finishing through 2008, but I noticed a couple of things in reading I have questions about, that maybe someone with more knowledge of the band at this time can help answer. I was a teenager during this period, so I was most familiar with the UYI albums at this time, and bought the Live Era album my freshman year of college when it came out around '99/'00...but of course while in High School, I also lost track of the band somewhat during that time....since we didn't receive as much information on the internet back then, and had to wait for AOL to "Dial Up" and connect anyway.... I'll also put a link to the topic/read I mentioned below, but here are a couple thoughts/questions I have.........

1.  I noticed more than 1 person being cited/quoted from around '95-'97 or so, stating that while working on material with the band, Axl got defensive more than once, when asked about adding vocals to the tracks worked on. Moby was quoted as stating around '97 when asked to produce that Axl got defensive with him when he asked about laying down vocals. Being that Axl gets grief from a lot of fans now about his "Mickey" voice while performing, which was also present as early as the '00 Vegas show, has it ever been mentioned or questioned that he may have "injured" his vocal chords some how around the mid-90s?? I just find it odd that he did not want to sing at all during this time, and even tried to pick up the rhythm guitar....and was seeing effects to his voice at still an early age. 

2. In the 1998 portion, here is an Axl quote: "I have re-recorded 'Appetite' [with] Josh Freese on drums, Tommy Stinson on bass, Paul Tobias on guitar, [...] and Robin Finck was on lead guitar, [...] with the exception of two songs [Anything Goes and You're Crazy], because we replaced those with 'You Could Be Mine,' and 'Patience,' and why do that? Well, we had to rehearse them anyway to be able to perform them live again, and there were a lot of recording techniques and certain subtle styles and drum fills and things like that that are kind of '80s signatures that subtly could use a little sprucing up... a little less reverb and a little less double bass and things like that."  -Axl (MTV 11/08/99)

It is also noted that he brought in production help to "modernize" the sound of this re-recording. Has anyone heard any portion of this updated version of Appetite??  I would be very interested in purchasing a copy of this in a box set, or future release if Axl ever chose to release this for distribution....Just curious to how an updated feel would sound. 

**Here is a link to the topic I mentioned, I appreciate any answers/discussions:

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=3397

• Thanks 1

The re-recorded version of SCOM plays during the end credits of the 1999 Adam Sandler movie Big Daddy, but it's only the second half of the song (whereas the first half is the Live Era version).

also, while its never been confirmed, apparently parts of Live Era use parts from the re-recorded AFD, like Axl's vocals, as well as the backing vocals on Brownstone (which sound exactly like Robin's backing vocals from Rock in Rio 2001).

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I, for one, wish Axl would release a boxed set of everything the new lineups (including the AFD re-record) recorded. He could call it "This Is How I Spent My Summer Vacation" and only like 10 people would get the reference.

I don't get the reference...

Well, let me ask this too.....this is just totally rumors I've seen over the years....Anything ever been confirmed that Axl may have had cancer, or at least a thyroid problem of some sort in the 90's/early 00's? Reason I ask....it is kind of odd how his voice has come and gone...even seen some people noting that certain hospitals were thanked on the Chinese Democracy notes, may even explain the weight gain/loss and change of appearance so much. 

6 minutes ago, papashaun said:

Well, let me ask this too.....this is just totally rumors I've seen over the years....Anything ever been confirmed that Axl may have had cancer, or at least a thyroid problem of some sort in the 90's/early 00's? Reason I ask....it is kind of odd how his voice has come and gone...even seen some people noting that certain hospitals were thanked on the Chinese Democracy notes, may even explain the weight gain/loss and change of appearance so much. 

a bit far fetched isn't it?

I'm keeping with the theory that Axl is actually dead and the illuminati replaced him with a lookalike.

5 hours ago, action said:

a bit far fetched isn't it?

I'm keeping with the theory that Axl is actually dead and the illuminati replaced him with a lookalike.

Haha! Sure, Axl's lookalike and Macca's replacement probably play dominoes together. :P

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I, for one, wish Axl would release a boxed set of everything the new lineups (including the AFD re-record) recorded. He could call it "This Is How I Spent My Summer Vacation" and only like 10 people would get the reference.

This would be brilliant and I for one, would buy it immediately. 

On 4/10/2018 at 4:03 PM, papashaun said:

I've been reading a year by year topic entitled, "Chinese Whispers--The Secret History of the New Studio Album," found within another GnR forum. It is a very interesting read, especially the years the band was basically deemed "inactive" in the public eye. I've read from years '93-'02 so far on the topic, and will continue finishing through 2008, but I noticed a couple of things in reading I have questions about, that maybe someone with more knowledge of the band at this time can help answer. I was a teenager during this period, so I was most familiar with the UYI albums at this time, and bought the Live Era album my freshman year of college when it came out around '99/'00...but of course while in High School, I also lost track of the band somewhat during that time....since we didn't receive as much information on the internet back then, and had to wait for AOL to "Dial Up" and connect anyway.... I'll also put a link to the topic/read I mentioned below, but here are a couple thoughts/questions I have.........

1.  I noticed more than 1 person being cited/quoted from around '95-'97 or so, stating that while working on material with the band, Axl got defensive more than once, when asked about adding vocals to the tracks worked on. Moby was quoted as stating around '97 when asked to produce that Axl got defensive with him when he asked about laying down vocals. Being that Axl gets grief from a lot of fans now about his "Mickey" voice while performing, which was also present as early as the '00 Vegas show, has it ever been mentioned or questioned that he may have "injured" his vocal chords some how around the mid-90s?? I just find it odd that he did not want to sing at all during this time, and even tried to pick up the rhythm guitar....and was seeing effects to his voice at still an early age. 

2. In the 1998 portion, here is an Axl quote: "I have re-recorded 'Appetite' [with] Josh Freese on drums, Tommy Stinson on bass, Paul Tobias on guitar, [...] and Robin Finck was on lead guitar, [...] with the exception of two songs [Anything Goes and You're Crazy], because we replaced those with 'You Could Be Mine,' and 'Patience,' and why do that? Well, we had to rehearse them anyway to be able to perform them live again, and there were a lot of recording techniques and certain subtle styles and drum fills and things like that that are kind of '80s signatures that subtly could use a little sprucing up... a little less reverb and a little less double bass and things like that."  -Axl (MTV 11/08/99)

It is also noted that he brought in production help to "modernize" the sound of this re-recording. Has anyone heard any portion of this updated version of Appetite??  I would be very interested in purchasing a copy of this in a box set, or future release if Axl ever chose to release this for distribution....Just curious to how an updated feel would sound. 

**Here is a link to the topic I mentioned, I appreciate any answers/discussions:

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=3397

Obviously we'll never know for sure whether Axl needed any surgery or if his vocal cords suffered any issues, but his comments at the China Exchange interview really made it sound like it was a conscious choice he made to preserve his voice for the future. 

I started reading the thread on link you posted and came across:

"This I Love' is actually an old GN'R song that the original GN'R wrote and recorded for the 'Illusion' records. I like that song a lot.. it took a couple of weeks to find all the tapes, because they finished recording 'Use Your Illusions' on the road and one tape was in Paris, another in London, and another in Sydney, I believe." (Dave Dominguez, Sp1at, 04/21/05

This I Love was recorded by the original band?

Its a great read, thanks for posting it.

Edited by Powderfinger

On 4/11/2018 at 4:41 AM, RussTCB said:

I, for one, wish Axl would release virtually anything at this point. It can be a 30 second song of him covering the Walmart yodeling kid for all I care. Literally anything.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I, for one, wish Axl would release virtually anything at this point. It can be a 30 second song of him covering the Walmart yodeling kid for all I care. Literally anything.

I agree with this statement except I'd add "...except for an AC/DC album"

On 4/11/2018 at 6:03 AM, papashaun said:

Could the liner notes be related to the hospital(s) he visited in '06? (for a cancer charity, btw)

84_AxlRoseTCT_L100806.jpg

19 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Really? I’m super excited for Axl’s AC/DC album. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course but what’s your reasoning?

I just can't stand AC/DC. They've just never been my thing.

• Like 1