Favorite post 93 version of Axl

Your favorite post 93 Axl  

238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Yeah his current vocals would definitely not be accepted by Angus. If he's gonna do ACDC again he's gonna have to shape up.

I know the ayatollah is 56 and we all know what he's capable of. 2006 rendition of Sailing being a prime example. Wonder why he sings in that clean tone the way he does (Apart from saving his voice). He does have a powerful clean voice at times so it just confuses me.

I think I prefer Axl in 2018. I feel it's the best version of himself.  In 2006 we were only 13 years removed from UYI years. Now, we're 26 years removed.  He remains a remarkable dynamic frontman but now appears happy and to actually be enjoying himself. I only wish that would have been true for all the past years GnR years. 

2002 Axl for the band, vision, what could have been.

2006 Axl for his look.

2006 Axl for vocals also.

Saw GnR I'm 2012 and thought the vocals were fine, don't get the hate, although more recently they have been a little off. Just preferred 2006 Axl. Had Bucket still been in that lineup it might have been my favourite time. Loved the gig at Newcastle arena, Axl on fire vocally and that attitude was still there.

5 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

2002 Axl for the band, vision, what could have been.

2006 Axl for his look.

2006 Axl for vocals also.

Saw GnR I'm 2012 and thought the vocals were fine, don't get the hate, although more recently they have been a little off. Just preferred 2006 Axl. Had Bucket still been in that lineup it might have been my favourite time. Loved the gig at Newcastle arena, Axl on fire vocally and that attitude was still there.

I was at that show. All was going well until that cunt chucked the £1 coin at Axl. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I was at that show also. It was like being in a furnace. 

Especially since this was before Axl learned to tell the time. I was pissed that they took to the stage so late that by the time the show was over all the pubs were shut. I was hoping for a few shandies in Trillians afterwards. I actually found myself in Trills on a night for the first time in years about a year or so back. I fell asleep on the table after about half an hour. :lol: 

I sing myself, so I understand the changes in the human voice - because my voice definitely doesn't have the power at 35 that it had at 25. So I get not being able to push it too much. Some of the vocals on the songs are nothing short of embarrassing at this point. I'm sure it's probably frustrating to Axl to not be able to sing the way he used to. That probably factored into the reclusiveness a bit in the early 00's. You have to figure there is some sort of pride that goes into being a performer, and there have been a lot of times where Axl has not delivered a representative product. 

I'm not buying the "this is the way he sings by choice" excuse... I just don't think he has it in him to do certain songs justice anymore.

I'm a die hard 2009/10 fan. Not only Axl was a monster on stage, in both singing and performing, but the band was so motivated after the release of CD. At the same time, DJ joining the band made the old songs sound better and the setlists were killer (I just wished Estranged was played at that time). I really like Robin, but at studio, never liked his live performances

7 hours ago, Dazey said:

Especially since this was before Axl learned to tell the time. I was pissed that they took to the stage so late that by the time the show was over all the pubs were shut. I was hoping for a few shandies in Trillians afterwards. I actually found myself in Trills on a night for the first time in years about a year or so back. I fell asleep on the table after about half an hour. :lol: 

Did you see that Bumble played a solo show in Trillians last year?! A full band gig.

7 hours ago, Dazey said:

I was at that show. All was going well until that cunt chucked the £1 coin at Axl. :lol: 

Me and my mates were standing right next to the lads that did that. There were two of them, one was daring the other to do it egging him on. Tossers.

4 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Did you see that Bumble played a solo show in Trillians last year?! A full band gig.

I didn't catch that unfortunately. I'm a Boro Smoggie living in Manchester so it's not often I get upto the Toon these days. Amazing city though. Spent a lot of time in Cuba Cuba and Trills back in student days. 

Edited by Dazey

2001 and 2002 is my favorite. He had a ton of energy and he wanted to prove to the world that he was back. His vocals had no rasp but they were pretty powerful, and overall his vocals were consistant. Plus he was more willing to do interviews and big events. (Rio 2001, the VMAs, NBA interview, several radio interviews.) sure, he seemed certifiable insane, but that was kinda cool honestly.

15 hours ago, bdinan said:

I sing myself, so I understand the changes in the human voice - because my voice definitely doesn't have the power at 35 that it had at 25. So I get not being able to push it too much. Some of the vocals on the songs are nothing short of embarrassing at this point. I'm sure it's probably frustrating to Axl to not be able to sing the way he used to. That probably factored into the reclusiveness a bit in the early 00's. You have to figure there is some sort of pride that goes into being a performer, and there have been a lot of times where Axl has not delivered a representative product. 

I'm not buying the "this is the way he sings by choice" excuse... I just don't think he has it in him to do certain songs justice anymore.

Atleast in the early 2000s he had power. He had no rasp but he still had power behind his vocals. 

Lately his voice is absolutely awful. He either needs to work with a vocal coach or figure out a different way to perform the songs. His nasally voice, like he used on seeker is still strong, and so is his deep voice. I’m sure he could rework most songs to usethose vocals. Sure it wouldn’t be what fans are used to, but personally I’d rather hear Sweet Child O Mine sung in a deeper voice than hear it sung by Mickey Mouse 

On 7/3/2018 at 12:54 PM, MrMojo said:

Great performance, this is what the concerts need nowadays, just a bit more visible emotion on this level.

IRS is one of my favorite Chinese tracks. A lot of power to that song. One of the true "Guns N' Roses" sounding tracks. It would be embarrassing to have a dying mickey mouse version of it though. 

I always tell people that 2006 is the best Axl era since '89. His voice and attitude were fucking vicious. It's the era that most makes me think, "what might have been".

'09/'10 are a close second, but I don't know how anyone can disagree after seeing this:

2006 all the way for me. Saw them live in the summer that year and it was just incredible. The whole year was magical for Guns'n'Roses fans:

• First we had the leaks, and I was really nervous before hearing them, because I was not sure if Axl still had his voice. Then I head Better for the first time and was blown away.
  • Then we suddenly had the Guns'n'Roses name come up on European festival posters (first one was I think Novarock in Austria =)) and at first no one was really sure if it could really be happening. No one had seen Axl for such a long time.
  • And then we had the NYC shows, and everyone was following the live threads listening to the lucky few who were there. Wondering how Axl would sound, how he would look, who was in the band. And then the messages came: Axl looks great and the rasp is back and everyone was happy
  • I think the whole year just really had something new to it, we had changing setlists (not too much but still), we had new music in the sets and a new album to look forward to (although no was yet really sure if CD would ever release)

So much nostalgia thinking about that year. Really, really great.

When I saw them in 2010 everything sounded more refined, but it was also already getting a bit boring. 2006 really had a lot of fire for me.

2018 is the best year for Guns ever. We got an album we already own and an airplane. This plane is better than the old one.

And Axl’s vocals are just sublime. I love when he sings with rasp between 1:10-1:12 in the videos. He’s still got it! YouTube doesn’t do it justice. The rasp in the 2016 YouTube videos is just camera trickery.

• Haha 3