Poll: Should Guns N' Roses release the remix album this November to coincide with CD's 10th Anniversary?

Make your opinion heard.  

258 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

FWIW, just an opinion from someone who is actually a fan of commercial Top 40 pop music:

If they marketed this in the right way to the right people, this could actually be at least a minor success. 

All of the things that, to the ears of the average GNR fan, moves these remixes further away from 'good' music, are exactly the things that appeal to a commercial pop audience. 

The bloopy club autotune of Shackler, the repetitive drone of ITW and the cheap hip hop beats of TIL are exactly the kind of things that hook today's lowest common denominator which, sadly, is the most important audience if you're aiming for maximum commercial success. (And this is me speaking as a fan of pop music - some is genuinely good, but a lot of it is undeniably dumbed down crap).

This could work both as a bonus disc for some sort of CD reissue (definitely not as a separate album), and also as a way to get those hipster types who wear the t-shirts to actually start listening to GNR. Obviously hardcore fans would know it's not a 'serious' release, but it's also a way for the band/label to make the most out of what would otherwise be a forgotten project and bring new fans/money to the band.

Of course it's not going to have the same audience, but I'm convinced that if the TIL remix was released as a single, it would at least get the same buzz and success as the SOYL single.

Edited by Azifwekare
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

FWIW, just an opinion from someone who is actually a fan of commercial Top 40 pop music:

If they marketed this in the right way to the right people, this could actually be at least a minor success. 

All of the things that, to the ears of the average GNR fan, moves these remixes further away from 'good' music, are exactly the things that appeal to a commercial pop audience. 

The bloopy club autotune of Shackler, the repetitive drone of ITW and the cheap hip hop beats of TIL are exactly the kind of things that hook today's lowest common denominator which, sadly, is the most important audience if you're aiming for maximum commercial success. (And this is me speaking as a fan of pop music - some is genuinely good, but a lot of it is undeniably dumbed down crap).

This could work both as a bonus disc for some sort of CD reissue (definitely not as a separate album), and also as a way to get those hipster types who wear the t-shirts to actually start listening to GNR. Obviously hardcore fans would know it's not a 'serious' release, but it's also a way for the band/label to make the most out of what would otherwise be a forgotten project and bring new fans/money to the band.

Of course it's not going to have the same audience, but I'm convinced that if the TIL remix was released as a single, it would at least get the same buzz and success as the SOYL single.

Look at the tracklisting of this Rolling Stones release:

Rarities 1971-2003

• Fancy Man Blues
  • Tumbling Dice (live)
  • Wild Horses
  • Beast Of Burden (live)
  • Anyway You Look At It
  • If I Was A Dancer (Dance Part 2)
  • Miss You (Dance version)
  • Wish Id Never Met You
  • I Just Wanna Make Love To You (live)
  • Mixed Emotions (12 version)
  • Through The Lonely Nights
  • Live With Me (live)
  • Let It Rock (live)
  • Harlem Shuffle (NY Mix)
  • Mannish Boy
  • Thru and Thru (live)
Edited by wasted

You could have

SOYL, Catcher (live), Patience, This I Love Remix, The Seeker, Used to Love Her, If the World remix, Mr Brownstone acoustic, Jackie Chan, Shackler’s remix, Wichita Lineman,   It’s so Easy live, New Rose live, Better DJ, You’re Crazy acoustic, Atlas Shrugged

5 minutes ago, wasted said:

You could have

SOYL, Catcher (live), Patience, This I Love Remix, The Seeker, Used to Love Her, If the World remix, Mr Brownstone acoustic, Jackie Chan, Shackler’s remix, Wichita Lineman,   It’s so Easy live, New Rose live, Better DJ, You’re Crazy acoustic, Atlas Shrugged

thats a fairly good list for an easy album to put out as most is gathering dust and no work needed. only downside is if it went in that order i dont think the songs would blend in well. it would work in the old days with side A (acoustic) and side E (electric) but not so much on a CD.

maybe add that new "move to the city" ? 

Aerosmiths Pandoras box is a good example of what GNR need. no time period, live, studio, demo, unreleased, alt versions. just a random collection of a bit of everything. 

17 minutes ago, donny said:

thats a fairly good list for an easy album to put out as most is gathering dust and no work needed. only downside is if it went in that order i dont think the songs would blend in well. it would work in the old days with side A (acoustic) and side E (electric) but not so much on a CD.

maybe add that new "move to the city" ? 

Aerosmiths Pandoras box is a good example of what GNR need. no time period, live, studio, demo, unreleased, alt versions. just a random collection of a bit of everything. 

It could be amped up with a new Axl/Slash/Duff song. Just hit all demographics. It could be more the songs played NITL tour too. 

9 minutes ago, wasted said:

It could be amped up with a new Axl/Slash/Duff song. Just hit all demographics. It could be more the songs played NITL tour too. 

having just one new song with Axl/Slash/Duff would get us all amped up but i think they could keep the fans happy(for a short time) by releasing some other bits and bobs. similar to what you mentioned above. 

just a few straight forward interviews and a rarities album will do.

7 hours ago, donny said:

having just one new song with Axl/Slash/Duff would get us all amped up but i think they could keep the fans happy(for a short time) by releasing some other bits and bobs. similar to what you mentioned above. 

just a few straight forward interviews and a rarities album will do.

Like tidying up your room before you go on drinking binge. Yesterdays is another song that could included. 

That Stones Rarities album is one of my favorites. Acoustic blues and poppier songs is pretty easy to listen to. 

I don't really understand what possible argument one could have for not releasing something that is done.  If the question was "Should GnR remix CD?"  You could make a valid argument that they should not work on anything beside new music... but it's done, most of it has leaked.  Other than being an asshole for the sake of being an asshole, what grounds would one argue "No, please don't release that completed music, true fans would want it in a vault, unheard because _______."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeadSlash said:

I don't really understand what possible argument one could have for not releasing something that is done.  If the question was "Should GnR remix CD?"  You could make a valid argument that they should not work on anything beside new music... but it's done, most of it has leaked.  Other than being an asshole for the sake of being an asshole, what grounds would one argue "No, please don't release that completed music, true fans would want it in a vault, unheard because _______."

CD II and Remix were done before the reunion. So maybe it’s the record company not really being interested. The AFD re-release seemed pretty easy to release promote. 

• Like 2

Most of the world didn't give a crap about the original CD.. No one will care about the Re-mix either.. Let it die... Most people didn't even know or care what Guns were doing during that era. It would look kind of pathetic to go and release CD again on the coattails of a very successful semi reunion..

• Like 1

I’d only want the 1999 version of the album as a bonus if they would re-release CD. I don’t give a fuck about the remix album as all the ones I heard did nothing for me. 

Add Checkmate, Atlas, and The General on there and I’d buy.

On 8/7/2018 at 10:58 AM, Silent Jay said:

Ten years ago, Guns N' Roses released the unpopular and divisive album named Chinese Democracy.

One year later in 2009, Brain talked about doing remixes of that album:

In 2014, Axl confirmed to Revolver Magazine a remix album of Chinese Democracy is on the way:

And as of this date, Guns N' Roses have performed more than half of Chinese Democracy during the reunion tour with Slash and Duff McKagen.

-

The way I look at it, I could not think of a better way to not only release the remix album but also to re-release Chinese Democracy just the way Axl wanted it to be released.

In addition to this, GN'R are back on the charts with "Shadow Of Your Love" and could keep the momentum going by releasing a new song from the Chinese Democracy era.

latest?cb=20110621012059

Thoughts?

Poll a million random GnR fans and ask what two albums would they prefer:
1. New material 
2. CD2 (Axl said it was already finished)
3. CD-Remixes
4. A re-release of CD

What do you think the voting percentages would be?

I'm not a mind reader, nor can I travel in time. But I can assure you the voting numbers would look something like:

1.    655,555

2.    344,440

3.    3

4.    2

The ONLY thing Axl and his "team" should be working on is releasing CD2 or an album of brand new material. Not a single 15-minute stretch of time should be used even thinking about releasing a remix of Shackler's Revenge or a re-release of CD.

Releasing new music is the only thing Axl should be working on in terms of what he plans to release next.  They've now milked the Appetite catalog to death. I sure hope they aren't planning to do another box set in 2021 for the Illusions featuring eight versions of Perfect Crime.

New Music is the only thing they should be working on.

Edited by Apollo
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

I feel bad for Brain

He wasted his time doing this, and you can tell in recent interviews that he regrets leaving the band in 2006

Well then someone call him and get him back.. I wasn't a fan of NuGuns at all but everyone seemed to like his drumming.. He has to be a better option than what they are carting out on stage right now.