Greta Thunberg's Groupie

Axl's Agony Aunt

Towards the conversation on ethical consumption regarding smart phone use.

Paying kids in post-colonial DRC poverty wages to work in deadly conditions in cobalt mines so that we can be sold smart phones for an even greater mark up. And naturally under neoliberal capitalism, everywhere there is wage exploitation there is ecocide.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-tuesday-edition-1.5399491/tech-giants-sued-over-appalling-deaths-of-children-who-mine-their-cobalt-1.5399492

31 minutes ago, soon said:

She wasnt speaking to you. She was speaking to a UN assembly on Climate about the need for system change.

it was too unclear who she was talking to. she spoke in a goddamn mike, to no one in particular, to everyone. all people remember is "how dare you", and feel offended. 

it's hard to comprehend just how big the damage she has done a a worthwile cause. untentionally, no doubt, but she did nonetheless.

1 hour ago, action said:

the debate has shifted from the environment, the cause, to greta, the person. I have been partial to this, but I refuse to solely take the blame for this. Far and wide, people are commenting on her persona and so the attention is effectively shifted from the real issue (the environment) to herself.

Not really. The people opposed to do something about climate change will attack her person because they can't attack the underlying science. So they will ridicule her age, her inexperience, her diagnosis, etc, and even her gender. But at the same time there is an observed rapid change in mindset, especially among younger generation, where people make personal choices that benefit the environment. This is called the Greta Effect. Is short, what she does works. The grumpy old men will continue to mock her, but they are a lost cause. Young people grow up with a very different mindset about the environment, to a large extent thanks to Greta and the press lifting her up and giving her a platform to express herself. 

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Not really. The people opposed to do something about climate change will attack her person because they can't attack the underlying science. So they will ridicule her age, her inexperience, her diagnosis, etc, and even her gender. But at the same time there is an observed rapid change in mindset, especially among younger generation, where people make personal choices that benefit the environment. This is called the Greta Effect. Is short, what she does works. The grumpy old men will continue to mock her, but they are a lost cause. Young people grow up with a very different mindset about the environment, to a large extent thanks to Greta and the press lifting her up and giving her a platform to express herself. 

Well shit, I miss the days when youth revolutions were spearheaded by effeminate looking Englishmen that played guitars and took drugs myself.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

sadly, kids don't call the shots, grown ups do.

it's all good and well that kids care about the environment, but all the bastard CEO's making environmentally harmfull decisions were once kids too.

we don't live in the land of Oz or goddamn cu-koo land, we live on earth, where mankind is the cancer of earth, that will only die out with it's host.

I try to enjoy life most while that lasts, why don't you?

1 hour ago, action said:

I dont know if a shadowy movement is behind her positioning, or if she has done all that by herself, but either way: it turned out bad for the debate for the reasons I just mentioned.

Well first off, you are wrong. Because it hasn't turned out bad as I just explained with the Greta Effect (read about it). It has turned out really well. Thanks to Greta and her courage, environmental issues has been on the front pages regularly this last year. And now Time Magazine has put her on the front page. This advertisement for the cause, this pr and branding, is invaluable. 

Secondly, she hasn't done this all by herself. But there isn't some sinister organization or cabal don't it, but the press. The press loves her and her story, so they write about her. Then people talk about her, either because they are impressed and awed or because they for various reasons can't stand the face of environmentalism. And they talk about her messages. Then she gets invited to conferences, talks, events, because she is the face, and then media writes more about her. So it snowballs: Greta, the press, and impressed or angry people working together to keep her relevant. 

1 hour ago, action said:

The result of her actions is, the environmental movement is slowly becoming the laughing stock, and detractors find an easy target with greta. I find, that the large and increasing group of people behind greta aren't taken serious anymore, because they have a kid as their "leader". 

I don't agree with that analysis at all, and frankly think you just invent stuff to be contrary. I think it is a widespread effect that politics become greener and greener with green parties having more and more support, and other parties adopting green issues. Of course this is not only due to the Greta Effect but the last decades focus on the environment and how we humans damage it. 

And no one but morons recognize Greta as the leader of anything. She has become the poster child, sure, but she is just a messenger, someone asking why we aren't doing more when the scientific community is so clear. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't agree with that analysis at all, and frankly think you just invent stuff to be contrary. I think it is a widespread effect that politics become greener and greener with green parties having more and more support, and other parties adopting green issues. Of course this is not only due to the Greta Effect but the last decades focus on the environment and how we humans damage it. 

And no one but morons recognize Greta as the leader of anything. She has become the poster child, sure, but she is just a messenger, someone asking why we aren't doing more when the scientific community is so clear. 

huh? last time I checked, there is an immense rise in right wing parties, all across the world

1 hour ago, action said:

We're talking about changing the mindset of a civilisation on a world-wide level, no small feat I would guess. Is there anyone who really believes that to be possible? I don't believe so (which does not mean that I don't 'want' it).

Mindsets change all the time, which is why we don't live in caves any more. Making regulations somewhat stricter and making people make somewhat more environmental decisions, aren't such a grand shift of paradigm as you make it seems. I think you are just not willing to make a personal effort, so you cover yourself in this fallacy that it is impossible. 

1 hour ago, action said:

Who's not to say the sun is getting hotter, and that's what causing climate change? 

Scientists. You know the guys who do vote their professional life studying it. 

Heh. When I read your first posts in this section a while ago I reacted on some of your posts that seemed to contain pseudo scientific physics babble. I am not a physicist so I decided to not intefere in that thread, hoping you were a student and I was wrong. At least your enthusiasm for science, and quantum theory, seemed genuine. And now you have turned into a guy with no understanding of the value of the scientific method and scientists. Remarkable. 

19 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Well shit, I miss the days when youth revolutions were spearheaded by effeminate looking Englishmen that played guitars and took drugs myself.

Me too. But apparently it ain't so. My kids often bring up environmental issues around the dining table. Times have changed. But so has the climate. 

24 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Soon has been indoctrinated into the cult of Greta. And it can be only described as a Messianic cult.

Except that I just above posted about David Suzuki whom I early called a long term "face" of the environmental movement.

I also just posted about the issue of cobalt mining in DRC which isnt part of her message.

You see, she isnt for me or you, she is for high school students. And mark my words, they will overcome you.

17 minutes ago, action said:

sadly, kids don't call the shots, grown ups do.

That won't last long. The kids growing up now will slowly take control and if we older people haven't affectuated changes by then, they will. 

19 minutes ago, action said:

we don't live in the land of Oz or goddamn cu-koo land

I have a growing suspicion you do. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, action said:

it was too unclear who she was talking to. she spoke in a goddamn mike, to no one in particular, to everyone. all people remember is "how dare you", and feel offended. 

it's hard to comprehend just how big the damage she has done a a worthwile cause. untentionally, no doubt, but she did nonetheless.

She was speaking to a UN Assembly on Climate. Of this no one on earth is confused. Other than you I guess.

With respect, its clear by this point that you dont know the environmental movement. Not sure why you want to pretend to pontificate on it :lol:

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Just to clarify in case Yew Tree are watching, I would be the passive recipient in this scenario?

Whats Yew Tree?

20 minutes ago, action said:

I try to enjoy life most while that lasts, why don't you?

Why don't you think I do? Responding to your posts entertains me quite a bit. And right now I am sitting on a chair with not much else to do. 

14 minutes ago, action said:

huh? last time I checked, there is an immense rise in right wing parties, all across the world

The middle is losing ground to the greens, and some places the far right.