What started the playing an album in its entirety trend?

Don't know.  I know I'm an album snob.  I put on an album and listen to it all the way through.  I know when they were vinyl I would have a favorite side and maybe only listen to one side but I rarely listen to singles unless I'm on youtube.  Albums started for me back in the mid 70's.  Before that there were 45's but I'm sure there were albums before then.  I seem to remember 78's were the albums and 45's the singles?

Quick research from Wikipedia:  An album is a collection of audio recordings issued as a collection on compact disc (CD), vinyl, audio tape, or another medium. Albums of recorded music were developed in the early 20th century as individual 78-rpm records collected in a bound book resembling a photograph album; this format evolved after 1948 into single vinyl LP records played at 33 1⁄3 rpm. Vinyl LPs are still issued, though album sales in the 21st-century have mostly focused on CD and MP3 formats. The audio cassette was a format widely used alongside vinyl from the 1970s into the first decade of the 2000s.

The concept album started in 1966 according to something else I found.  I was thinking I have a Billie Holiday album and that had to be before the 60's.

I guess because a lot of bands have like...a key album right?  And we're used to gigs being like a mix and match pot pourri of greatest hits or else their new shit.  And being how rock n roll is gradually shrinking and becoming a lot less of a mainstream thing you go for the core audience right?  And what is a core audience of fans of bands like The Stooges gonna love more than seeing Raw Power played in its entirity.  Its a thing that works for big bands as well as cult bands.  And like, even with big bands, what were once like...y'know, albums EVERYBODY knew like the back of their hand, those generations have aged now and those things aren't as like...*yawn* as they used to be, a lot of time has based under the bridge to where there is a value to seeing 'Appetite played in its entirity'. 

An entire generation (sometimes two) has grown up with certain albums and certain seminal works are like, landmarks and it makes live performances more attractive, like 'we'll never see this again!' and there's a chance you probably won't.   And also certain bands and artists, the aforementioned Stooges or Eric B and Rakim, were relatively small fry when they released their seminal works, there ain't a lot of people who can they saw Raw Power or Paid in Full played in their entirity...but there fuckin' are now.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

Couple of years ago I saw Raekwon and Ghostface perform the Only Built 4 Cuban Linx album live. It was an anniversary thing, think it was the 20th anniversary. It was a badass show too.

I’ve seen Black Crowes do a whole album. Amorica. I don’t think there was a reason, they’ve been known to do it a good bit.

Velvet Revolver played all of Contraband. Just because that was the only music they had besides a couple of Guns songs and a couple STP songs.

I’ve seen another one too but can’t remember who. It was a new album they just released.

So I don’t know what started it but there seems to be a few reasons why it happens.

• Like 1

If we mean the transition from singles to Album Oriented Rock, then both the Beatles and the advent of FM radio. 

If we mean the live concert experience, my guess would be prog rock, and concept albums in the 60s-70s made it a thing? Tommy, Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall. And more recently with bands having to tour almost every year to pay the bills it just makes for clear branding. And it extracts more revenues out of albums that no longer make money on their own.

Ive only seen full prog albums live: The Wall, The Lamb Lays Down on Broadway (tribute band), Animals (jam band - I was one of two people in attendance, lol).

A lot of young bands play full albums on youtube. Im not sure if that started the live trend or if its imitating it?

• Like 1

On 02/07/2019 at 5:59 PM, J Dog said:

Couple of years ago I saw Raekwon and Ghostface perform the Only Built 4 Cuban Linx album live. It was an anniversary thing, think it was the 20th anniversary. It was a badass show too.

See now I’d pay some hefty coin to see that.

On 7/1/2019 at 10:29 PM, The Dissident said:

Maiden only played 1 album fully live in their career on for a single tour in 2006. 

Def Leppard has started it more recently for Hysteria. Dream Theatre does it and Pink Floyd would do two back to back in the 70s 

Late post, but on top of that, it was their most recent released album at the time (A Matter of Life and Death).  No band that is as old as Iron Maiden is would ever do that for a new album (and that's what makes them awesome in my books and that they give new album songs their due when they are touring on the backs of a new album).

• Like 1

Id like to see Meshuggah play the album (I) in its entirety, its just one song that goes for 20 mins which is fucking heavy as all fuck. I have abit of a special relationship with it as a Polish dude in a hostel in Brighton UK gave it to me to listen to.... while I was a little baked off MDMA one Saturday afternoon.

On 7/10/2019 at 4:23 AM, Len Cnut said:

See now I’d pay some hefty coin to see that.

It was worth it. I don’t know if it felt special to them or just it being a fresh tour or the great crowd but they were really into it. Ghost played hype man on songs he wasn’t on. That show had a different type of feel. It was great. Cool ass crowd.

It’s tied for best rap show I’ve seen. I saw Snoop and he had the whole Dogg Pound with him. Daz and Kurupt. Nate Dogg. Soopafly on the dj table. That was some glorious shit.

4 hours ago, J Dog said:

It was worth it. I don’t know if it felt special to them or just it being a fresh tour or the great crowd but they were really into it. Ghost played hype man on songs he wasn’t on. That show had a different type of feel. It was great. Cool ass crowd.

It’s tied for best rap show I’ve seen. I saw Snoop and he had the whole Dogg Pound with him. Daz and Kurupt. Nate Dogg. Soopafly on the dj table. That was some glorious shit.

Yeah I saw Snoop like that in Kentish Town in London, I think Daz and Kurupt were there but Nate had recently died if I'm not mistaken.