STAR WARS: Convoluted Cash- Cow Disney Adventure Series That Will Never End Thread

ZoSoRose

26 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

What do you make of this idea?

I like how the dude basically said 'we're going to build off of the Holiday Special disaster in hopes of making a perennial holiday classic like Rudolph.' Really swinging for the fences. 

All this extra crap is hard to care about. The animated stuff has potential and I like some of it for what it is and the Mandalorian is good. Still, I can't get super excited over much going forward since movies with the original cast are all finished (and were overall not up to our hopes after seeing IX)

2 hours ago, soon said:

What do you make of this idea?

I like how the dude basically said 'we're going to build off of the Holiday Special disaster in hopes of making a perennial holiday classic like Rudolph.' Really swinging for the fences. 

I don’t really mind one way or another, honestly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2020 at 9:38 PM, ZoSoRose said:

I wonder if this will get an extended edition if the redone Justice League does well

Doubt it. Star Wars doesn’t do that stuff. It’s always been way more conservative, when it comes to things like that.

Besides, the redone Justice League is being done as a four-episode miniseries (one hour per episode), not a movie.

Edited by rocknroll41

5 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Doubt it. Star Wars doesn’t do that stuff. It’s always been way more conservative, when it comes to things like that.

Besides, the red one Justice League is being done as a four-episode miniseries (one hour per episode), not a movie.

You are most likely correct. Even if it did come out, it wouldn't change the film except maybe add a few scenes throughout it. The JL movie sounds like it will essentially be a completely alternate film 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Besides, the red one Justice League is being done as a four-episode miniseries (one hour per episode), not a movie.

But the Star Wars of old is gone. They ruined Star Wars. So anything to make a buck and win something back.

1 minute ago, PatrickS77 said:

But the Star Wars of old is gone. They ruined Star Wars. So anything to make a buck and win something back.

Star Wars of old is still there and still great. I can watch the three proper movies all day every day and just ignore everything else. With hindsight Solo is the only half decent non original trilogy movie and the rest were all utter shit. Shame really but I can still enjoy the originals. 

15 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Star Wars of old is still there and still great. I can watch the three proper movies all day every day and just ignore everything else. With hindsight Solo is the only half decent non original trilogy movie and the rest were all utter shit. Shame really but I can still enjoy the originals. 

I mean, Star Wars the way it used to be run. Just because there were no Extended Editions (even though there were Special Editions), don't mean there can't be one now. And well, as far as movies, it ends at 6. EU is still canon to me. Sequels are bad fan fiction. Nothing more.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

I mean, Star Wars the way it used to be run. Just because there were no Extended Editions (even though there were Special Editions), don't mean there can't be one now. And well, as far as movies, it ends as 6. EU is still canon to me. Sequels are bad fan fiction. Nothing more.

Prequels are also uniformly awful. I actually enjoyed Phantom Menace and The Force Awakens in the cinema. There was enough there to interest me in the rest of each trilogy but the next two films in both case were utter shite so making eps 1 and 7 meaningless. 

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Prequels are also uniformly awful. I actually enjoyed Phantom Menace and The Force Awakens in the cinema. There was enough there to interest me in the rest of each trilogy but the next two films in both case were utter shite so making eps 1 and 7 meaningless. 

But in no way, shape or form as bad and redundant as the sequels. 7 was alright, but seeing what direction they took after that, it got sunken too. It would have been a good starting point for something great, alas it wasn't, so it's a disappointment too.

Prequels had worse special effects, acting, and dialog but more creativity with the story

Overall, I prefer the Sequels because they have the original cast but neither trilogies compare to the three originals as a whole. I can enjoy them all as a saga, but its no secret they missed the mark with both trilogies

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

Honestly TROS totally ruined the sequels for me, I enjoyed TFA well enough and loved TLJ but the decisions made in the final film were just awful and affect the original trilogy as well. Some cool ideas but undercooked and surrounded by utterly nonsensical story telling and plot elements. It seems JJ just wanted to pile all his ideas for a trilogy into the one film without regard for how it affects everything else around it. 

• Like 1

I’ve actually recently had a change of heart about the entire franchise.

My new current ranking (from best to worst) is: Star Wars 1977, Solo, Rogue One, The Last Jedi, The Force Awakens, The Clone Wars (2008 movie), The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, The Phantom Menace, Revenge of the Sith, The Rise of Skywalker, Attack of the Clones.

I find it funny that the more I grew to love Last Jedi, The less I started to love Rise of Skywalker. My thoughts on the entire franchise change all the time, tho. Really the only film I dislike is Attack of the Clones.

Also, I’m starting to not like Empire and Return as much anymore. I think both of them are very overrated, in hindsight, and a lot of the things that people bitch about now when it comes to the franchise can be traced all the way back to those two movies in particular.

• Like 1

I remember being so nervous to admit that The Clone Wars (movie) was middle of the pack for me too. lol. Now I feel better about it! 

For me, Star Wars has quickly become as much about the podcasts, novels, audio books and the production history just as much as the films and series themselves. I like all the trilogies and dislike one film from each (Empire, Attack of the Clones, TLJ). But I still like them as vessels of fandom and exploration. I love the stand-alones and it breaks my heart to think what could have been!! 

Im most pumped about the future of live action series. Blue skies ahead!! :headbang:

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, soon said:

I remember being so nervous to admit that The Clone Wars (movie) was middle of the pack for me too. lol. Now I feel better about it! 

For me, Star Wars has quickly become as much about the podcasts, novels, audio books and the production history just as much as the films and series themselves. I like all the trilogies and dislike one film from each (Empire, Attack of the Clones, TLJ). But I still like them as vessels of fandom and exploration. I love the stand-alones and it breaks my heart to think what could have been!! 

Im most pumped about the future of live action series. Blue skies ahead!! :headbang:

Yeah the future of starwars is definitely in all the streaming shows they’re planning:

Mandalorian Seasons 2 & 3

Rogue One prequel show

Kenobi

Female-centric show (most likely Ashoka and/or Kira)

Bad Batch (animated Clone Wars sequel)

And those are just the ones that are confirmed! A bunch more are rumored.

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

I’m starting to not like Empire and Return as much anymore. I think both of them are very overrated, in hindsight, and a lot of the things that people bitch about now when it comes to the franchise can be traced all the way back to those two movies in particular.

I would say that it is the fact that the people making these films can't seem to stop repeating things that happened in those movies, rather than it being those movies themselves that are the problem.

16 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I would say that it is the fact that the people making these films can't seem to stop repeating things that happened in those movies, rather than it being those movies themselves that are the problem.

To each their own. Personally I think Star Wars was best when it was a silly, serialized space opera in vain of Flash Gordon, which the original 1977 film emulated perfectly. Then Empire came along and turned it all into a dark family soap opera, and the franchise has had an identity crisis ever since. At least the spinoff films and Last Jedi all tried to break from that “family drama” mold.

Edited by rocknroll41

57 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah the future of starwars is definitely in all the streaming shows they’re planning:

Mandalorian Seasons 2 & 3

Rogue One prequel show

Kenobi

Female-centric show (most likely Ashoka and/or Kira)

Bad Batch (animated Clone Wars sequel)

And those are just the ones that are confirmed! A bunch more are rumored.

:drool: They all sound so good!!!!

Kira and Ashoka would be cool, as long as theres Ashoka! She should be in most of those if you ask me, lol. Hopefully Han, Chewy, Enfys, Weazel (Warwick Davis), Saw Gerere and young Jyn can drop in too. What a cast of characters to inhabit that story!!

The only rumoured one I can think of is the Mace Windu, that as far as I understand is said to have Lucas on the creative team. Pumped for all that too!

Cant believe how close we are to Mando season 2 :headbang:

• Like 1

Really excited for Mandalorian and Kenobi, personally I'm not really interested in the other shows announced, although I guess I will have to wait and see how they are executed. I'm excited for the next film as well as Taika Waititi is making it and he is great. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Really excited for Mandalorian and Kenobi, personally I'm not really interested in the other shows announced, although I guess I will have to wait and see how they are executed. I'm excited for the next film as well as Taika Waititi is making it and he is great. 

Yeah Taika is the perfect person to direct a post-Skywalker film, imo!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My only guess for all the trade talk is that Lucas was primarily writing the larger story for his then-young-son and figured he also needed an adult angle, to serve all of the audience.

This is one reason why i hope the Mace series, with Lucas involved, rumours are true. In my mind, Lucas is like Mace - the imperfect Jedi. Huge blind spots. But also moments of epic awesomeness!