Is this a FOURTH officialy released version of KOHD?

Hello.

We all know that there are 3 oficially released studio versions of KOHD.

- Days Of Thunder Soundtrack Version (5:36)

- UYI 2 Version (5:36)

- UYI 1998 "Remix" (5:21)

...but, I came across with THIS officialy released promo single, it says "KOHD (REMIX)", and the lenght of the track is 6 seconds SHORTER than the DOT Album Version: 5:30

https://www.discogs.com/es/Guns-N-Roses-Knockin-On-Heavens-Door-Remix/release/1913914

It says "REMIX", meaning that the track should be different from the Album Version, but I've never heard  a "remix" of the DOT Soundtrack Version of KOHD.

Is this really a FOURTH officialy released version of the song?

Anyone here has this single?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigVanVader said:

IIRC, it's the Use Your Illusion album version minus the phone call.

Is from that Target Use Your Illusions that was a mix of one and two? I never considered buying that nor I have ever listened to it. This 98 remix is news to me. I have the Days of Thunder soundtrack and CAN here a difference between that version and the studio version. I believe they are different studio takes all together. 

Yes, the 1998 Version is from that compilation album and it's exactly the same version from UYI 2, but without the spoken parts (the phone call). That's why is 16 seconds shorter. And since it's officialy released, I counted it as a 3rd studio version of KOHD

Edited by Inamible

1 hour ago, Inamible said:

Hello.

We all know that there are 3 oficially released studio versions of KOHD.

- Days Of Thunder Soundtrack Version (5:36)

- UYI 2 Version (5:36)

- UYI 1998 "Remix" (5:21)

...but, I came across with THIS officialy released promo single, it says "KOHD (REMIX)", and the lenght of the track is 6 seconds SHORTER than the DOT Album Version: 5:30

https://www.discogs.com/es/Guns-N-Roses-Knockin-On-Heavens-Door-Remix/release/1913914

It says "REMIX", meaning that the track should be different from the Album Version, but I've never heard  a "remix" of the DOT Soundtrack Version of KOHD.

Is this really a FOURTH officialy released version of the song?

Anyone here has this single?

It’s says Promo underneath....

On 10/23/2020 at 8:39 PM, Iron MikeyJ said:

I have the Days of Thunder soundtrack and CAN here a difference between that version and the studio version. I believe they are different studio takes all together. 

Exact same take, but the mixing is different.

The so-called '98 remix is the UYI II version without the phone call interlude.

23 minutes ago, EvH said:

Exact same take, but the mixing is different.

The so-called '98 remix is the UYI II version without the phone call interlude.

Maybe the DOT Main Vocals, Guitar and Bass are same take but different Mix than the UYI2

But the piano, rythm guitars, drums and the Phone call vocals are absolutely from a very different take, it's very clear to notice they are, specially the piano, after the phone call until the end of the song.

• Like 1

IT'S DIFFERENT!!!

I KNEW IT!

This version has a different ending: a double-voice scream , no guitar outro and a very tiny piano coda before the drums finale.

There must be other differences, but the ending is undeniably another version.

I think this is HUGE:

LADIES AND GENTLEMAN: WE FOUND A LOST TRACK.

A FOURTH STUDIO OFFICIALLY RELEASED (YET PROMOTIONAL) VERSION OF KNOCKIN ON HEAVENS DOOR FROM 1990.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea I just listened to it again for the first time in years... there are some differences.

So that's the UYI 2 version, DOT version, 1998 version, Remix, Live Era, and Marquee '87 (released on Live From The Jungle and the AFD box set). Who needs new music when we have 6 versions of this song? :P

It reminds me the days of the Chinese Democracy leaks.... How many versions of TWAT we have already?

• Like 1

They didn't do Knockin' on Heavens Door justice when it came to recording it in the studio for the Illusions. That version is ruined by the telephone call. This one and the DOT version are ruined by Axl talking throughout the verse along with the telephone call itself. Ritz '88 was peak for that era. I'll just stick to the 2001 acoustic version!

That said, it was a big fucking hit for them, so what do I know ?!

Edited by Dean

My favorite has always been the first one they released, Marquee 87 . Even though it's live I prefer it hands down . I think it's way better than the Illusions version. The one without the phone call is also preferable to me than the album version,  never cared for the whole phone call interlude crap.

My least favorite "version" was always the 92 Illusion tour arrangement, where they stretched it to twenty minutes and added the "give me some reggae section". It was just too much for me, I usually skip it when I listen to those shows. I just don't think Knockin has to be twenty minutes long.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 5:34 PM, Inamible said:

IT'S DIFFERENT!!!

I KNEW IT!

This version has a different ending: a double-voice scream , no guitar outro and a very tiny piano coda before the drums finale.

There must be other differences, but the ending is undeniably another version.

I think this is HUGE:

LADIES AND GENTLEMAN: WE FOUND A LOST TRACK.

A FOURTH STUDIO OFFICIALLY RELEASED (YET PROMOTIONAL) VERSION OF KNOCKIN ON HEAVENS DOOR FROM 1990.

How is this a lost track? I’ve had this since it came out and so have a ton of others. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1