The Red Head turns 59

23 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Have they treated us badly? They have given me some of my favorite music and a history that is immensely entertaining. That more than 99.99% of what other bands have given me. In fact, if I was going to be negative, I should be negative towards all those other bands that have given me less

What bothers some fans and make them come across as overly negative, is when their expectations and wishes for Guns N' Roses don't come to fruition. But for most part, that's their own fault for believing rumours or trusting vague promises from guys we know aren't trustworthy. I can't be negative towards someone for not living up to my expectations, I should adjust my expectations. 

I think everyone has very low expectations these days.....but having low expectations doesn't mean you're not still disapointed. It also doesn't mean that even though you have no expectations, you wish you were proved wrong. 

Let's face it too, there are a lot of instances where things have been said to be happening by reliable sources that then haven't. Can't really blame people for then being annoyed when these things don't happen. I agree that believing any 'sources' sets you up for a letdown....but when band members and management say things are happening that then don't, I think complaints are legitimate. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

28 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Have they treated us badly? They have given me some of my favorite music and a history that is immensely entertaining. That more than 99.99% of what other bands have given me. In fact, if I was going to be negative, I should be negative towards all those other bands that have given me less

What bothers some fans and make them come across as overly negative, is when their expectations and wishes for Guns N' Roses don't come to fruition. But for most part, that's their own fault for believing rumours or trusting vague promises from guys we know aren't trustworthy. I can't be negative towards someone for not living up to my expectations, I should adjust my expectations. 

So Axl never continually and repeatedly told fans to expect more music? No continual claims of how much music fans should expect? Other members of GN'R didn't make the same claims over and over? 

No one put those expectations out there other than Axl Rose himself and other members of GN'R. So again, blaming the fans won't work. 

• GNFNR 1

55 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Again though, it depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for the negative, that's what you'll see. 

You actually told me recently that I hate the band because all I ever post is negative things. Not only is that not true in the first place, but I had to point out to you that I have a nearly 20 year history of cheerleading for and being positive about GN'R. 

You either choose not to see that or you choose not to acknowledge it, but it doesn't mean it's not true. I took years and years of crap from people for being overly positive about GN'R which is just a fact. 

Unfortunately, GN'R have handled their business so poorly and treated their fans so bad that many people, myself included, can't find much of anything to be positive about anymore. The blame for that falls squarely on GN'Rs shoulder, not the fans who supported them for years, some times decades. 

What are fans supposed to do? Keep being happy about never having new music no matter how many times it's been promised but never followed through on? Are fans supposed to be happy that ticket prices are insane while the band plays the same set lists over and over? Maybe the fans are supposed to be happy that Axl puts in as little effort as humanly possible into GN'R shows, but can find a way to sound amazing with an entirely different band and their fan base? 

Personally, I'm amazed that anyone can find anything positive to say about GN'R these days but I don't come down on them when they do. I was that guy once and I didn't like people attacking me for being positive, so I won't attack anyone else for it. However, I totally understand people that have nothing positive to say about the band because the band have given us little to nothing to be positive about. 

I get the same accusation quite often....always by new users or ones with very low post counts, which leads me to suspect they might not be entirely genuine! The 'ignore' facility is highly useful! 

Makes me laugh though to be called a "hater" when I think about all the piss taking I've always had from my friends over the years regarding my  loving GNR! 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

8 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I think everyone has very low expectations these days.....but having low expectations doesn't mean you're not still disapointed. It also doesn't mean that even though you have no expectations, you wish you were proved wrong. 

Let's face it too, there are a lot of instances where things have been said to be happening by reliable sources that then haven't. Can't really blame people for then being annoyed when these things don't happen. I agree that believing any 'sources' sets you up for a letdown....but when band members and management say things are happening that then don't, I think complaints are legitimate. 

Exactly. I've never put one ounce of trust in ANYTHING that any "GN'R Insider" has claimed. They're all full of shit and nothing ever comes to fruition from it. However, I did used to put a lot of trust into it when Axl and other members of GN'R made claims about more music. That was my mistake, I should have realized that Axl and actual members of the band are just as reliable as the "insiders" lol

• Like 2

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

I get the same accusation quite often....always by new users or ones with very low post counts, which leads me to suspect they might not be entirely genuine! The 'ignore' facility is highly useful! 

Makes me laugh though to be called a "hater" when I think about all the piss taking I've always had from my friends over the years about loving GNR! 

Yeah, again, it's what people choose to see. The people on here who make ridiculous claims that this place is too negative are making those claims because that's what they choose to see. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Yeah, again, it's what people choose to see. The people on here who make ridiculous claims that this place is too negative are making those claims because that's what they choose to see. 

Definitely. I see it as a massive positive that enough people feel strongly enough about the band that they visit a forum about it. Given the lack of things to discuss, that really is impressive! 

You can choose to leap on comments that, say, criticise a not very good performance as signs of perceived 'negativity', but I see it more as a positive sign that people are capable of calling up nonsense when they see it, despite being huge fans. 

One thing's for sure- if a new album was to appear, the reaction would be 99 per cent rabid enthusiasm......but some would cry 'negativity' if a few people didn't like it.

And those people that didn't like it wouldn't be 'negative' in saying they didn't like it- they'd probably just be expressing their absolutely valid personal opinion on the music. 

We do live in 'black and white' times though, where you're either 'for' something or 'against' it. A 'fan' or a 'hater'. Discourse and objective opinion is pretty out of fashion. That side of things really pisses me off- that you can't call something shit GNR have done shit without being told that you hate the band. 

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Again though, it depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for the negative, that's what you'll see. 

But I'm not looking for it, but I can't help seeing it in almost every thread.

You actually told me recently that I hate the band because all I ever post is negative things. Not only is that not true in the first place, but I had to point out to you that I have a nearly 20 year history of cheerleading for and being positive about GN'R. 

Obviously I haven't read all your posts and I've been a member ''only'' since 2015. But I remember reading mostly negative posts from you, even to the point where I was frequently wondering.. ''why is that dude a moderator here if he spends most of his posts bashing the band?''... But again, maybe in some weird coincidence I missed most of your positive posts and only read the negative ones since I became a member. Although, I do remember you saying more than once that you love CD.

Unfortunately, GN'R have handled their business so poorly and treated their fans so bad that many people, myself included, can't find much of anything to be positive about anymore. The blame for that falls squarely on GN'Rs shoulder, not the fans who supported them for years, some times decades. 

Well, I'm a fan, and I don't feel like they treated me badly. They have given me more than I ever expected from a rock 'n roll band. But maybe I'm not emotionally invested in it as much as some people? But fair enough, again, I understand the criticism and a lot of it is fair, I'm disappointed in no new music as much as the next guy, but what I don't understand is why people keep repeating themselves on here and adding nothing but negativity. If I was so disappointed in a band or artist, I would stop visiting the fan forum and get on with my life. What's the point in coming here on a daily basis just to repeat the same old complaints? I don't get that. I'm not saying it's not allowed, but why waste your time repeating yourself over and over? Just say it once or twice to get it off your chest, and move on with your life already.

What are fans supposed to do? Keep being happy about never having new music no matter how many times it's been promised but never followed through on? Are fans supposed to be happy that ticket prices are insane while the band plays the same set lists over and over? Maybe the fans are supposed to be happy that Axl puts in as little effort as humanly possible into GN'R shows, but can find a way to sound amazing with an entirely different band and their fan base? 

From my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, he said he hopes that in their lifetime they will put another record out. Axl has always been very honest and never gave anyone false hope in that regard. Also, I saw GnR live two years ago, and Axl was energetic as fuck, from what I could tell he wasn't ''phoning'' it in, he sounded good and they put on a great show. So I simply don't agree. But each to their own. And I'm not telling fans to be happy, anyone should make up their own mind regarding what this band does, and anyone can have their opinion and it's all good, but again, if you only have negativity to add, say it once or twice, and then move on with your life. It's not that difficult really.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

So Axl never continually and repeatedly told fans to expect more music? No continual claims of how much music fans should expect? Other members of GN'R didn't make the same claims over and over? 

Yes, they did. And shame on you for believing it :D. Fool you once and all that.

And my point is more that I can hardly be critical about a band that has given me more than most bands. yes, I want more than what they have given me, but that's just topping on the cake. 

3 hours ago, money honey said:

My feelings exactly on an autobiography from Axl! I wish he'd use the pandemic downtime to write it. I'd be first in the queue!!

I am sorry to say that he isn't. I wish he did, too, but he isn't working on his biography.

19 minutes ago, EvanG said:

From my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, he said he hopes that in their lifetime they will put another record out. Axl has always been very honest and never gave anyone false hope in that regard. Also, I saw GnR live two years ago, and Axl was energetic as fuck, from what I could tell he wasn't ''phoning'' it in, he sounded good and they put on a great show. So I simply don't agree. But each to their own. And I'm not telling fans to be happy, anyone should make up their own mind regarding what this band does, and anyone can have their opinion and it's all good, but again, if you only have negativity to add, say it once or twice, and then move on with your life. It's not that difficult really.

As far back as 2002, Axl was telling fans that 3 albums were coming. He said it more than a few times. Just because he changed his story doesn't mean he didn't tell fans one thing, then do another. 

As far as people moving on with their lives, again, many fans have a lot of time and energy invested in GN'R. On top of that, many people such as myself have made real life friends through places such as this. So it's not just something people want to move on from. 

Having said that many, MANY people have moved on. Personally, I barely even look at the main section on here anymore because GN'R does little to nothing that interests me. There's way too many other artists out there who constantly put out new music for me to pay much attention to what GN'Rs merch, high ticket prices and so so concerts. 

Most or all of what I see as "negative posts" in the main section are usually users with a lot of history just correcting claims, etc. And there's so much wasted potential through the history of GN'R that it's very easy to end up discussing that aspect, which gets viewed as negative. Is it negative? Sure, but it's also the truth which is no one's fault but GN'R. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, they did. And shame on you for believing it :D. Fool you once and all that.

And my point is more that I can hardly be critical about a band that has given me more than most bands. yes, I want more than what they have given me, but that's just topping on the cake. 

Right, it's definitely the fans fault for believing what the artist said. 

It's also crazy to me that GN'R has given you "more than most bands" over the course of 4 proper studio albums, 1 EP and 1 covers album but to each their own I guess lol. There's so many other bands / artists out there with far larger catalogs to enjoy as much or more than GN'R. 

Oh....and for the record (this is a general statement, not directed at Soul Monster):

My original post in this thread wasn't even negative. The only reason I jumped back in is because I get irritated when people make false statements as fact, such as "this place is so negative" or like our friend kiwiguns who seemingly has an account here for the specific purpose of stopping by every so often just to attempt to insult the users.

Edited by RussTCB

Just now, RussTCB said:

Right, it's definitely the fans fault for believing what the artist said. 

Don't you think if an artist consistently fail to deliver on promises, that at some point it is your fault for believing? And don't get me wrong, I am sure Axl's intentions are pure, or whatever the expression is, he is just very lousy at following through :) 

And more specifically, as far as CD2 goes, which he did indeed suggest we would hear at some point (2012?) - I do believe we will hear it at some point, or at least that he intends for that to happen. We just have to accept that when it comes to GN'R,  things take many-fold longer than suggested, and many-fold longer than we want. It is what is.

If you decide to believe that GN'R will deliver as promised, you will still not get the music when expected and be disappointed on top of that! Come on Russ, you know this, you have been a fan for too long to go through this period of revelation now. Get through this transition period from being a positive guy to one that is positive and have realistic expectations. I think we all miss that more sunny version of yourself.

Just now, RussTCB said:

It's also crazy to me that GN'R has given you "more than most bands" over the course of 4 proper studio albums, 1 EP and 1 covers album but to each their own I guess lol. There's so many other bands / artists out there with far larger catalogs to enjoy as much or more than GN'R. 

Oh, but I go for quality over quantity. It is really simple: I still enjoy the music of Guns N' Roses more than most other bands. I think that if I didn't, I wouldn't be here. I'd be on those forums for those other bands.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

As far back as 2002, Axl was telling fans that 3 albums were coming. He said it more than a few times. Just because he changed his story doesn't mean he didn't tell fans one thing, then do another. 

Did he give a date or actually say it's going to get released soon? Even when Kurt Loder asked him about CD during the VMAs he gave the typical Axl answer that it will come out one day, he just didn't know when. Same thing he said when CD came out and got asked about the follow up to that one.

Compared to many other artists I follow, Axl has always been rather honest, so the fact that people get their hopes up is their own doing most of the time. I think @SoulMonstermade a good point about this earlier. Personally, I don't expect it to come out soon because there is no reason for me to believe that, so when it does come out (and I believe it will someday), I can only be pleasantly surprised.

As far as people moving on with their lives, again, many fans have a lot of time and energy invested in GN'R. On top of that, many people such as myself have made real life friends through places such as this. So it's not just something people want to move on from. 

That's not really a good argument to keep on being negative and repeating yourself on here. I can understand people staying here for the reasons you gave, but there is a non-GnR section too, they don't have to keep on posting about how much his voice sucks now, or how stupid it is that they're not releasing anything, or how boring the setlist is, or how they think Axl doesn't give a shit, etc..

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Don't you think if an artist consistently fail to deliver on promises, that at some point it is your fault for believing? And don't get me wrong, I am sure Axl's intentions are pure, or whatever the expression is, he is just very lousy at following through :) 

And more specifically, as far as CD2 goes, which he did indeed suggest we would hear at some point (2012?) - I do believe we will hear it at some point, or at least that he intends for that to happen. We just have to accept that when it comes to GN'R,  things take many-fold longer than suggested, and many-fold longer than we want. It is what is.

If you decide to believe that GN'R will deliver as promised, you will still not get the music when expected and be disappointed on top of that! Come on Russ, you know this, you have been a fan for too long to go through this period of revelation now. Get through this transition period from being a positive guy to one that is positive and have realistic expectations. I think we all miss that more sunny version of yourself.

Oh, but I go for quality over quantity. It is really simple: I still enjoy the music of Guns N' Roses more than most other bands. I think that if I didn't, I wouldn't be here. I'd be on those forums for those other bands.

There's so much to unpack here that really shows the mindset of people who defend GN'R no matter what. 

Let's start here: again, you're finding a long winded way of saying "it's the fans fault for believing what Axl and GN'R said". It doesn't matter how many coats of paint you put on it, that's the base of what you're saying. Just because you choose to settle for that, doesn't mean anyone else should. 

Second....the bit where you suggest that I must be an unhappy person because I don't praise GN'R on here. I'm honestly hoping that was some sort of joke, but assuming it's not, I'll take it at face value and respond: I'm an extremely happy person lol. I don't want to risk looking like I'm doing a shameless plug but I'll just say that I have several media outlets where it's made abundantly clear that I'm a happy person who loves being positive about music. Again, not trying to shamelessly plug anything but there's plenty of audio and video evidence out there that completely contradicts that idea that I'm some bitter / angry GN'R fan. 

Lastly, art is a matter of taste so to each their own but I guess I'm just glad that for me there are tons of other artists who've released far more material that's as good or absolutely eclipses anything GN'R have ever released. 

5 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Did he give a date or actually say it's going to get released soon? Even when Kurt Loder asked him about CD during the VMAs he gave the typical Axl answer that it will come out one day, he just didn't know when. Same thing he said when CD came out and got asked about the follow up to that one.

Compared to many other artists I follow, Axl has always been rather honest, so the fact that people get their hopes up is their own doing most of the time. I think @SoulMonstermade a good point about this earlier. Personally, I don't expect it to come out soon because there is no reason for me to believe that, so when it does come out (and I believe it will someday), I can only be pleasantly surprised.

That's not really a good argument to keep on being negative and repeating yourself on here. I can understand people staying here for the reasons you gave, but there is a non-GnR section too, they don't have to keep on posting about how much his voice sucks now, or how stupid it is that they're not releasing anything, or how boring the setlist is, or how they think Axl doesn't give a shit, etc..

Yes actually, Axl did say in 2002 that there would be at least 3 albums worth of material released within the year and over the course of the next few years. It was on tour and not during the Loder thing at the VMAs. 

With respect to Axl being honest, I've always said that I think Axl believes what he says at the time that he says it. That's why I don't view him as a liar. I've actually taken a ton of shit for that stance over the years. People feel like what he said didn't come true, so that makes him a liar. Whereas, I believe Axl truly believes what he says when he says it, but nothing ever comes of it. 

I got tired of that last bit, so I just stopped expecting anything from them. Now I'm not constantly disappointed lol. 

As far as why anyone else stays on here, I can't speak for anyone else. I haven't posted in a show thread in ages because of what you pointed out: there's no reason for me to go into a show thread and complain about the setlist. I also don't go in there to complain about Axl's voice or the fact that he doesn't care to try with GN'R but did with ACDC. Those are just facts that are a given with GN'R and have been for quite some time, so I don't feel the need to restate them. I can't fault anyone else for doing it though because I don't get to dictate how others feel about GN'R. 

31 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Yes actually, Axl did say in 2002 that there would be at least 3 albums worth of material released within the year and over the course of the next few years. It was on tour and not during the Loder thing at the VMAs. 

Ok, then that sucks obviously, and I understand people being disappointed and expressing that on a fan forum. Like I said before, I understand the criticism, I agree with some of it. But my original point still stands, I don't get why some people keep on going about it. I think there's something childish about that as well, just express your negativity and move on, or at least don't become a broken record.

My favourite artist of all time has this habit of saying that his new record will come out within a year and it always takes twice if not thrice as long. That sucks, but I'm too old to go on his fan forum and whine about it all the time. I might express my disappointment once or make a sarcastic comment about it, but that's all. Even though he's my favourite artist, I have more important things in my life to worry about. Life is too short to whine about the same thing on a message board.

With respect to Axl being honest, I've always said that I think Axl believes what he says at the time that he says it. That's why I don't view him as a liar. I've actually taken a ton of shit for that stance over the years. People feel like what he said didn't come true, so that makes him a liar. Whereas, I believe Axl truly believes what he says when he says it, but nothing ever comes of it. 

I agree. I'm sure I have made claims in the past about things I was going to do but for whatever reason it never amounted to anything. People change their minds or things happen in life, that's just how it is.

Those are just facts that are a given with GN'R and have been for quite some time, so I don't feel the need to restate them. I can't fault anyone else for doing it though because I don't get to dictate how others feel about GN'R. 

That's what I mean. This is a mature approach to the situation as it is. And I can't dictate others either, but I guess sometimes I feel the need to understand why some people can only be negative and always repeat themselves on here.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Ok, then that sucks obviously, and I understand people being disappointed and expressing that on a fan forum. Like I said before, I understand the criticism, I agree with some of it. But my original point still stands, I don't get why some people keep on going about it. I think there's something childish about that as well, just express your negativity and move on, or at least don't become a broken record.

My favourite artist of all time has this habit of saying that his new record will come out within a year and it always takes twice if not thrice as long. That sucks, but I'm too old to go on his fan forum and whine about it all the time. I might express my disappointment once or make a sarcastic comment about it, but that's all. Even though he's my favourite artist, I have more important things in my life to worry about. Life is too short to whine about the same thing on a message board.

I agree. I'm sure I have made claims in the past about things I was going to do but for whatever reason it never amounted to anything. People change their minds or things happen in life, that's just how it is.

That's what I mean. This is a mature approach to the situation as it is. And I can't dictate others either, but I guess sometimes I feel the need to understand why some people can only be negative and always repeat themselves on here.

Right on. For the record, I hope you haven't taken anything I've said as being mean spirited. It's very hard to express yourself correctly on forums without coming off as harsh and I haven't meant anything I've said to you in an angry manner. Just talking things out with you is all and I hope it's come off that way :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I got tired of that last bit, so I just stopped expecting anything from them. Now I'm not constantly disappointed lol. 

As far as why anyone else stays on here, I can't speak for anyone else. I haven't posted in a show thread in ages because of what you pointed out: there's no reason for me to go into a show thread and complain about the setlist. I also don't go in there to complain about Axl's voice or the fact that he doesn't care to try with GN'R but did with ACDC. Those are just facts that are a given with GN'R and have been for quite some time, so I don't feel the need to restate them. I can't fault anyone else for doing it though because I don't get to dictate how others feel about GN'R. 

I think what he said was something like "you'll get about 18 tracks, and 10 bonus tracks, then another album, and by that time I should be done with the 3rd record and you'll get it all over again." It was at one of the 2002 shows but I can't remember which one. But he definitely said fans would be getting multiple albums.

There was also the March 6(?) 2007 release date that came and went without any acknowledgement from the band.

I agree that he wasn't really lying at the time he said those things, because it was likely his intention to follow through with them. But, fast-forward several years and we still hear things like "Axl has tons of songs", "new album is 6 months", etc. so it's understandable that fans have become more negative, if not completely disillusioned.

• GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Right on. For the record, I hope you haven't taken anything I've said as being mean spirited. It's very hard to express yourself correctly on forums without coming off as harsh and I haven't meant anything I've said to you in an angry manner. Just talking things out with you is all and I hope it's come off that way :)

No worries, I didn't, and same goes for you obviously.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BangoSkank said:

Right?! He's said before a few times that he has difficulty with it because 1) it gets too depressing and 2) he doesn't know how to phrase things that doesn't sound like he's calling everyone a liar. I kind of worry that the reunion made this way less likely, but that said I am still really hoping.

And how do you whittle 40000 pages? that alone would need a team😄 

I'm not convinced it's a good idea for a guy like Axl to write an autobiography... he is so sensitive and he hates when he's misinterpreted. I think he's probably say a few things that would get the 'I hate Axl crew' out and I don't think he needs to give them any ammo.

On a positive there was a few positive Axl stories yesterday, the tide has shifted for him and his perception

• Like 1