Top hundred rock bands as voted by the public UK

3 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

I believe they came second not just beecause of music but the 'effect' they had...they emanated something than cannot be put into words easily.

It is hard to come up with one word to describe GNR these alright🤣

10 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

Zeppelin truly are a remarkable band. I'm a huge fan of Physical Graffiti though. The sheer abundance of material. There's someting about double albums for me. The Wall (Floyd), The Fragile (NIN), Grafitti (Zep), White Album (Beatles) UYI 1&2 (not technically a double album but still). 

The album sales of Led Zeppelin in USA are just out of this world. I don't think there's another band with such consistently high sales. Not even The Beatles can compete.

As far as Queen goes I'd have a hard time choosing between Queen and Led Zeppelin. I'd rank both bands very near the top. It's surprising to me that someone wouldn't like Queen. They're so versatile and consistent, they go from pop to rock to disco, they're flamboyant, innovative, they wrote rock anthems. The versalitiy of Queen's discography is unmatched.

I love Physical Graffiti (In The Light used to be my alarm clock - it's very bizarre waking to that tranquil intro!) I just think as an overall album there were a few more "okay" tracks whereas on the earlier albums every song was a total knock out. However I may reassess my original comment and say Zep 1 to Physical Graffiti.

Queens versatility is amazing. I respect both Queen for having the balls and ability to change things and ACDC fir having the balls (less so the ability) to change nothing despite having such a long career and expansive discography. Both are tough. But Queen mixed it up properly and, mostly, nailed it each time. Fair play. Like Led Zeppelin they had the tunes, musician ability and stage presence to be eternal rock gods. So many anthems. 

2 hours ago, Ratam said:

It you said about the Queen hard working is true, but same you would says about many bands of this list. Nonetheless the Queen Biopic was an enormous help . Generally the outcome about it's contests are enough random too. I have recognition about Queen like band, despite isn't "my thing".

Live Era, Freddie Tribute Concert and Wayne's World is what made it for Queen. Plus the songs themselves, which are timeless. The biopic sugar-coated the appreciation more recently for sure, but i think the same result would have happened if that movie didn't exist. They've been incredibly popular for years.

9 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

For anyone that doesn't bow at the alter of Queen... you are wrong😄 Queen have so many different styles and they pull them all off still sounding like Queen. Amazing. 

Now way GNR should be ahead of the majority of those bands - Metallica (better than GNR on every front) Van Halen (more influence, more material), Fleetwood mac (need I say anything?), The eagles (again, WAY more hits and way more material). I Love GNR and they are still somehow top 2 alongside Metallica, but i don't trust any poll like this. I guess it does underline how despite it all they are still incredibly popular and have a broad age group of fans.

I just can't get on with Metallica. I "like" them and own most of their stuff (I prefer Load / Reload etc to the more thrashy my stuff), but I can't get through a song without imaging Lars Ulrich pulling stupid facial expressions.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Live Era, Freddie Tribute Concert and Wayne's World is what made it for Queen. Plus the songs themselves, which are timeless. The biopic sugar-coated the appreciation more recently for sure, but i think the same result would have happened if that movie didn't exist. They've been incredibly popular for years.

I knew they has been popular for years, i not say that Queen is just popular  just for it movie. Just it movie increase more the interest  to great audience , cause it movie has many appeal to people that  .isn't put many attention in Queen before it movie, youngs too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

I just can't get on with Metallica. I "like" them and own most of their stuff (I prefer Load / Reload etc to the more thrashy my stuff), but I can't get through a song without imaging Lars Ulrich pulling stupid facial expressions.

I embrace the stupid face and I actually like Lars a lot more these days now that he's a chill older dude. I even find myself making the stupid faces when I drum😅 I also vere more on the Load/Reload end of things too, but of course I love the the thrash albums as well.

For me and my money, no other band (outside of Rush... well Maiden if you like them) gives you as much bang for your buck - quality performance, setlists that vary, good videos of the show after the fact, new albums every 8yrs... making one right now, looks like it'll be out early next year all going to plan (only 6yrs between records, mere seconds in GNR world).

I love GNR (clearly🤣) but they are really hit and miss on a lot of what Metallica deliver on, also there's buggar all material. GNR are sometimes my favourite band, but Metallica to me are always the better over-all.

I like that GnR came in second (they should’ve won) without having to try hard. The reunion helped, but they didn’t even promote the reunion like most bands do. the media/audiences go off hype, it’s pretty obvious. If GnR had whored themselves like the Stones, Queen, and Metallica (who shouldn’t even be discussed with any good artist, seriously, go to the thrash/trash forum for that) they probably would be winning most of these polls/contests. 

tenor.gif

Edited by MoreLies
Edit
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Ratam said:

I knew they has been popular for years, i not say that Queen is just popular  just for it movie. Just it movie increase more the interest  to great audience , cause it movie has many appeal to people that  .isn't put many attention in Queen before it movie, youngs too.

More likely the movie was so successful, because Queen is so popular. Why would anyone watch a biopic, when they are not interested in the band in the first place??

On 4/1/2021 at 2:44 AM, Tom2112 said:

I embrace the stupid face and I actually like Lars a lot more these days now that he's a chill older dude. I even find myself making the stupid faces when I drum😅 I also vere more on the Load/Reload end of things too, but of course I love the the thrash albums as well.

For me and my money, no other band (outside of Rush... well Maiden if you like them) gives you as much bang for your buck - quality performance, setlists that vary, good videos of the show after the fact, new albums every 8yrs... making one right now, looks like it'll be out early next year all going to plan (only 6yrs between records, mere seconds in GNR world).

I love GNR (clearly🤣) but they are really hit and miss on a lot of what Metallica deliver on, also there's buggar all material. GNR are sometimes my favourite band, but Metallica to me are always the better over-all.

I think GnR are the better band, Metallica the better business.

Queen, Pink Floyd, ACDC and Led Zep are examples of stunningly good bands, excellent branding and marketing, great songs, fabulous live shows, and well run businesses with good re-release plans etc.

Metallica I think are a more average band but tick most of the other boxes.

Guns are, or probably more accurately, were an incredible band (not so much now) with a great live show, but the marketing and business side of things, at least from the perspective of a proper fan, is very poor.

3 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

I think GnR are the better band, Metallica the better business.

Queen, Pink Floyd, ACDC and Led Zep are examples of stunningly good bands, excellent branding and marketing, great songs, fabulous live shows, and well run businesses with good re-release plans etc.

Metallica I think are a more average band but tick most of the other boxes.

Guns are, or probably more accurately, were an incredible band (not so much now) with a great live show, but the marketing and business side of things, at least from the perspective of a proper fan, is very poor.

Metallica definitely are the better business.

As for which albums you prefer, that's totally subjective. The other stuff is impossible to argue. Metallica always deliver, gnr even back in their heyday were up and down with either too much partying spilling over to the stage or Axl having voice issues.

Gnr on form were probably fit to follow Metallica, but when the chips were down in 1992, Metallica came out smelling of roses and gnr were eating their dust. One band was gaining momemtum the other was falling apart. Now I didn't see them back then, but judging by the performances caught on tape, it's no contest for me. Gnr 91-93 had some blistering performances, but you couldn't guarantee that you were going to get that gnr even IF they turned up on the night. 

• Like 1

The fact that they excluded the Beatles makes this (as well as any other "best of all time" polls which also exclude The Beatles) completely null.

Like them, hate them... I don't care.

They stand alone.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nintari said:

The fact that they excluded the Beatles makes this (as well as any other "best of all time" polls which also exclude The Beatles) completely null.

Like them, hate them... I don't care.

And without them the answer's usually Queen. So it played out as expected.

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 1