Slash's Most Underrated Riff?

On 11/17/2021 at 1:37 AM, Free Bird said:

I think you mean the Guitar Center Sessions where they also did Beggars and Hangers On and Not For Me among others. A very good gig overall!

All three are good songs but TFG has an amazing solo.

Yep, that's the one. Awesome performances IMO.

Agreed about all 3 being good and the solo on TFG.

On 11/17/2021 at 7:09 AM, GoForJMark said:

That performance at guitar center was an awesome and short set. The Far and Away performance there made me pick up a guitar again after a few years away from it. 

Couldn't agree more.

Glad to hear you picked up the guitar again. That's great.

• Like 1

We were talking about Anastasia earlier in the thread, what strikes on that one is how many views the best live version has on YouTube…It has 20 million views which is very impressive for a newish rock song that wasn’t even a hit at all. Most songs that were actually huge hits by rock acts this century don’t come close to that on live performances. Pretty cool:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martin Riggs said:

We were talking about Anastasia earlier in the thread, what strikes on that one is how many views the best live version has on YouTube…It has 20 million views which is very impressive for a newish rock song that wasn’t even a hit at all. Most songs that were actually huge hits by rock acts this century don’t come close to that on live performances. Pretty cool:

Because that performance is godlike.

I'd rather listen to this than anything Buckethead for example can come up with. 

Oh damn, I just compared two musicians. Did I break some kind of forum rules?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

That is a good one. Speaking of that, which performance of this song do you prefer:

That's a hard question. The one in Australia gives all the complete rock feel. Haven't watched nor listened to the guitar center of not for me in a long while, maybe 5 years? But that acoustic sesh wad so clean instrumentally that I still remembered Todd's bass lines after the solo.

So I'd say that I enjoyed the acoustic version more. Lol

7 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

One of the best rock songs of the 21st century imo:

Fuck yeah this too. When I got my first wah pedal it's the first shit that I jammed on it.

Even Axl loved this song. 

On 10/30/2021 at 2:47 AM, Nintari said:

I don't know about riff, but my vote for most underrated solo is definitely the one from Back and Forth Again. As a matter of fact, it just might be his best after SCOM.

Its really great.

And enhanced by the vocal "Carrying all of that weight is the hardest part".

And you know its the end of the album also.

This part of the album always gave me goosebumps.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 3:50 AM, GoForJMark said:

Not really a main riff, but the solo for You Got No Right by VR is pretty underrated.

Amazing.

The album version is great. I was actually a bit disappointed in the final version after listening to some of the live gigs previously. 

IMO, this is in the top 5 GNR side project songs. It moves very quickly through the phases. Interesting tune

1 hour ago, Irish Rose said:

So many iconic riffs. Its hard to know what's under rated and what isn't.

I'll put "Always on the run" and "Give in to me" as my entries.

Understated, but very smooth.

Afaik Slash only did the solos on Give In To Me, but they are GREAT and underrated as well. 2nd solo 🥰

Edited to add: Afaik. I'm pretty sure Slash doesn't play the riff on the recording (Bill Botrell?). But what I am certain of is that there are hardcore MJ fans on this board who will roast me for spreading half truths. 😃 Slash definitely didn't write the riff, though.

Edited by lilacmess

37 minutes ago, lilacmess said:

Afaik Slash only did the solos on Give In To Me, but they are GREAT and underrated as well. 2nd solo 🥰

Edited to add: Afaik. I'm pretty sure Slash doesn't play the riff on the recording (Bill Botrell?). But what I am certain of is that there are hardcore MJ fans on this board who will roast me for spreading half truths. 😃 Slash definitely didn't write the riff, though.

Thank you for the information, and your modesty!

The 2nd solo is incredible. I love the fast run. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lilacmess said:

Slash: 

I went from Tanzania to Kenya to Amsterdam, with a six-hour layover to LA, from the airport to the record plant, and started this tune. And he was there, him and Brooke Shields, and he was great, and that’s when I finally met him. Then his record came out and I did a tenth anniversary MTV thing with him and played the song Black Or White, but gave it that sort of rock feel. And he says I played it on the record, but I didn’t really; I played on the beginning where the little kid is playing air guitar. That’s me.

But there’s another song, called Give In To Me where it’s all my guitar; all my leads and everything

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

And:

It's funny. Everybody thought I played the main riff in "Black or White," but that isn't me. To be honest with you, I don't know who the hell is playing that riff. Most people think that I played the whole thing because Michael really publicized that I played on the track. The only part I played is in the beginning, when the little kid is playing air guitar in the video. I played much more on "Give In To Me." I played the whole rhythm part and solo. It was very loose. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2