Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

1 minute ago, action said:

I guess people like @SoulMonster, who indulge in books and science, don't know what I'm talking about. 

In your case I think the adherence to the stupid stereotype that academics are somehow averse to or unfamiliar with physical labour, is just a mechanism to make you feel better about your own intellectual shortcomings.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dazey said:

It’s basically a large box of mixed fruit and veg. Picked in the morning and delivered same day. 

this is the farm  

https://groobox.co.uk/

Cool! Its neat to see the way they go about offering their produce. Same day harvest is great!

Our produce boxes are still at least 1 week away, if not more. From the bio dynamic farms at least. Im surprised you are that far ahead of us. Lucky!

But Im into what they have on offer here so far, with lots of farm-made products. I forgot to list cheese, maple syrup and sauerkraut as well. The parsnips are from last years harvest.

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

In your case I think the adherence to the stupid stereotype that academics are somehow averse to or unfamiliar with physical labour, is just a mechanism to make you feel better about your own intellectual shortcomings.

when was the last time you had a proper spade in your hands?

and I'm not talking about some grandma weed shovel. More something like this:

sneeboer-border-spade-met-steps.jpg

49 minutes ago, action said:

I had a good working session in the garden. basically restructured the whole layout of plants. moved some plants here, others there. The garden architect, an expert by his own admission, has done an awful job at conceptualising the layout. I've completely redone his work, and now it's perfect. I'm tired as a dog, but very happy with the result. "Working man's happiness", they call this. I guess people like @SoulMonster, who indulge in books and science, don't know what I'm talking about. 

A man only becomes a real man, when he has a spade in his hands and is sweating from brute working labour, moving heaps of dirt from here to there, while the wife brings a cold one. Then, at the end of the day, a hot bath. Life doesn't become much better.

Lots of scientists have to do pretty intense physical work to obtain and analyse their data. 

7 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Lots of scientists have to do pretty intense physical work to obtain and analyse their data. 

But you are the Indiana Jones type of scientist. Fighting local tribes and wild, fierce animals just to get the chance to arrive at some distant volcano and be burnt to crisp in a pyroclastic flow. 

All I did was push buttons. I got good at it. 

18 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

You really need to get over me and move along. 

pot and kettle :lol:

I asked you an innocent question. I was only jesting to begin with when I was talking about "working man's happiness". If you know the feeling, great, then I have nothing to tell you. If not, then I'd hope I could learn you some new experiences. Not everything is sinister and malevolent, jeez.

30 minutes ago, soon said:

You make your gramma do the weeding?

no, but she certainly did when she was alive, bless her. she couldn't stand the smallest herb, it had to go. She used one of those cute little shovels, you know, the kind kids use in their sand pits. 

22 minutes ago, action said:

no, but she certainly did when she was alive, bless her. she couldn't stand the smallest herb, it had to go. She used one of those cute little shovels, you know, the kind kids use in their sand pits. 

Sounds like you are speaking of a trowel, which is the quintessential gardening tool.

41 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

But you are the Indiana Jones type of scientist. Fighting local tribes and wild, fierce animals just to get the chance to arrive at some distant volcano and be burnt to crisp in a pyroclastic flow. 

All I did was push buttons. I got good at it. 

Actual evidence of me using a shovel on a volcano...

1798605-10201665592977159-1944278313-n.j

• Haha 2

Gov. Abbot of Texas made an update on the virus here in Texas.

Still have to stay inside, which is a good thing, since no one really knows how long this virus will hang around.

Questions asked about the curve. Still don't understand how they can predicate this? 

Pretty sure schools are closed for the rest of this school year although he didn't talk about it.

Talked about more testing being done. How some cities in Texas have no virus patients at all. Amazing to me.

Most supermarkets are doing the limited shoppers at a time. This is good.  

No new news really. Just more of the same, but I'm glad Texas locked up the state when they did. It has helped keep the count down.

Stay well.

5 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Questions asked about the curve. Still don't understand how they can predicate this? 

How one can predict when the curve will flatten out? Well, you can look at how it has been developing and from that predict its future shape. Not an easy thing to do, though. You can also predict the effects of social distancing measures based on what has happened in countries that have been through it before. Also not very accurate. Those are the two ways that immediately spring to mind. And they can be combined. 

37 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Actual evidence of me using a shovel on a volcano...

1798605-10201665592977159-1944278313-n.j

doesn't that pointy thingy need to be aimed the other way? 

also, it's not real work when you're doing it in the shade. that's cheating. real work happens in the baking sun, on a field with not a tree in sight. preferrably with repeated bending and situps.

when you're doing that 12 hours a day, then you can say you have worked.

2 minutes ago, action said:

doesn't that pointy thingy need to be aimed the other way? 

also, it's not real work when you're doing it in the shade. that's cheating. real work happens in the baking sun, on a field with not a tree in sight. preferrably with repeated bending and situps.

when you're doing that 12 hours a day, then you can say you have worked.

Obviously we were posing for a photograph, I wasn't holding it the way I was using it.

How about in the crater of an active volcano where the air temperature is 45 degrees celsius, the ground is 70 degrees celsius, there are acidic fumes, no breeze and cliffs to climb to get in and out with all your equipment? I mean I don't want to turn this into a dick-measuring contest, I was just making the point that scientists do work hard and I posted the photo for a bit of fun. 

Just now, Graeme said:

Obviously we were posing for a photograph, I wasn't holding it the way I was using it.

How about in the crater of an active volcano where the air temperature is 45 degrees celsius, the ground is 70 degrees celsius, there are acidic fumes, no breeze and cliffs to climb to get in and out with all your equipment? I mean I don't want to turn this into a dick-measuring contest, I was just making the point that scientists do work hard and I posted the photo for a bit of fun. 

yeah I know, I was just taking the piss

• Like 1

Geneticists don't typically need shovels for their line of work. Back then I typically worked with stuff at the nano scale which was invisible to the naked eye. 

My forklift and 50 tonnes G4 overhead crane licenses that I had picked up in an earlier profession were also rather useless. 

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Geneticists don't typically need shovels for their line of work. Back then I typically worked with stuff at the nano scale which was invisible to the naked eye. 

My forklift and 50 tonnes G4 overhead crane licenses that I had picked up in an earlier profession were also rather useless. 

my dad used a forklift, while I could carry the boxes and throw around 20 kg taxus plants. He would be pointing, from on his forklift, where I should put something down or pick something up. I remember it clear as day, he was always wearing a funny hat

since that time, I view forklift people as inherently "lazy" (but that has nothing to do with you)

Edited by action

12 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

LOL, way to post something completely out of context and put it on all "evangelical Christians". 

christians generally don't ask to punish anyone. that's what makes them christian in the first place. Only god will judge. christians are generally the most peaceful people you will find.

the article just refers to trump supporters who call themselves "evangelical christians". they're really not though. they're as much christian as a terrorist is a muslim.

sadly that doesn't stop some people from taking cheap shots at christians.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, action said:

christians generally don't ask to punish anyone. that's what makes them christian in the first place. Only god will judge. christians are generally the most peaceful people you will find.

the article just refers to trump supporters who call themselves "evangelical christians". they're really not though. they're as much christian as a terrorist is a muslim.

sadly that doesn't stop some people from taking cheap shots at christians.

It just seemed ridiculous to me. I'm sure I could find an article that makes any group seem unhinged, but there's no point in doing that. At least to me. 

8 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

It just seemed ridiculous to me. I'm sure I could find an article that makes any group seem unhinged. 

It doesn't take much effort to make evangelicals seem unhinged. :lol: 

• Haha 1