Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

On 4/6/2020 at 2:31 PM, SoulMonster said:

Boris Johnson in intensive care. 

I heard that. I hope he makes it. He was doing okay in the beginning. This is what scares me about this virus. You can be okay one day and sicker the next.

14 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well it was only a few days ago people were praising the Japanese to the hilt - a nation who had successfully beaten, or came close to it, the virus - and now Japan is declaring a state of emergency!

I thought China was over it too, but it's not. I don't think Asia is being honest with the rest of the world. I know they think they can fix the problem, but obviously they didn't and can't. This worries me because they have had this virus for many more months now and it doesn't seem to be slowing down.

42 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Has the curve been flattened yet?

Where? I know NYC said it would be nearing the curve soon, but what the hell does that mean? Does it mean the less people will get sick? How do they knows this when no one knows what this virus can do? 

Some of the mid northern states are bracing for major storms that have snow, hail and possible tornados. It seems day by day things get worse with the virus and then people have to deal with other shit too. 2020 will go down in the history books as one of the worst years ever!

Stay inside and stay well.

I can't wait for the day when the virus starts to disappear and less people get sick or die and maybe we can get back to some kind of normal life.

1 hour ago, Padme said:

Your anxiety should drink a glass of hot milk. If you can add a little bit of honey into it, even better. It works for me anytime I get the usual cold.

Don't eat or drink anything with milk products. It makes more congestion. Drink juice or take vitamin C.

Stay well.

Also I use a saline nasal spray a few times a day. Since the weather in Texas is heating up the allergy season comes with it.

23 hours ago, marlingrl03 said:

Agree! I do watch some news, but then also try to do things that are stress relievers, like baking or watching a funny show. It's important to not think about this every second.

I do watch tv alot especially at night, but then a commercial for the corona virus comes on and I stress all over again. I don't think they should run adds like this during tv shows. We know the news channels have it 24/7, so we don't have to be reminded, but yet there it is. Damn them!

10 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I heard that. I hope he makes it. He was doing okay in the beginning. This is what scares me about this virus. You can be okay one day and sicker the next.

I thought China was over it too, but it's not. I don't think Asia is being honest with the rest of the world. I know they think they can fix the problem, but obviously they didn't and can't. This worries me because they have had this virus for many more months now and it doesn't seem to be slowing down.

+32 new infections/no deaths, but Chinese statistics are untrustworthy. 

• Like 1

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

+32 new infections/no deaths, but Chinese statistics are untrustworthy. 

Yeah, unfortunately I agree with you. I saw pictures of Chinese people laughing and taking their masks off but Hong Kong is still a mess. 

I also heard that Shanghi is having tons of tourists there again. What the hell is wrong with people?

Also I'm sorry but who the hell in their right mind would go on a cruise in the middle of this virus and then bitch and moan when they can't get off the boat? I mean come on!

3 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Yeah, unfortunately I agree with you. I saw pictures of Chinese people laughing and taking their masks off but Hong Kong is still a mess. 

I also heard that Shanghi is having tons of tourists there again. What the hell is wrong with people?

Also I'm sorry but who the hell in their right mind would go on a cruise in the middle of this virus and then bitch and moan when they can't get off the boat? I mean come on!

Because a lot of people are complete and utter dumbasses.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well it was only a few days ago people were praising the Japanese to the hilt - a nation who had successfully beaten, or came close to it, the virus - and now Japan is declaring a state of emergency!

The only way to beat the virus is to develop herd immunity, and the countries that have come closest to that is Italy and Spain, at great cost.

Or to get a vaccine out there and basically eradicate it - unless it mutates too quickly and becomes a permanent illness, like the cold or AIDS.

Edited by SoulMonster

44 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Huh? The virus has certainly slowed down in China. Just look at this graph over daily deaths in China:

uten_n78.png

You might not trust the details but you'd have to be insane to believe the overall trend isn't that China has been able to suppress the epidemic. And we are seeing the same thing for many other countries now. Social distancing works. 

That doesn't mean we are in any way safe. When we do open up society again -- when we do start meeting people again, hanging out again, standing next to each other at buses, when we do hang out in bars, etc -- it will flare up again. Because the virus isn't going anywhere. But there is no denying our measures/mitigating efforts work. Now we just have to find a balance between measures to suppress the number on newly infected and gradually opening up society again, while we either get a vaccine or develop herd immunity - whatever comes first.

Edited by SoulMonster

32 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Where? I know NYC said it would be nearing the curve soon, but what the hell does that mean? Does it mean the less people will get sick? How do they knows this when no one knows what this virus can do? 

The only thing we care about as far as what the "virus can do", is to what extent it infects and kills people. And this we can measure.

So when we talk about the curve "flattening", we are either referring to curves over how many new people are infected every day, or how many die from the disease every day. With contagious infections like this the curve will increase rapidly at first, and then slowly taper out as there will be less and less susceptible hosts to the virus. The reasons why there are less and less susceptible hosts could be anything from the really ominous situation where the virus has basically killed off the population of hosts, or where the host population has developed herd immunity, or where the host population makes it harder for the virus to spread by basically increasing hygiene and practising social distancing. Since this virus isn't very deadly and since we are likely to be far away from developing herd immunity, when we see that the number of new infected isn't increasing as rapidly anymore, and levels out, that is the result of mitigating response being effective. It means that we are getting in control of the epidemic. That we can slow down its spread. And this is extremely important to most countries where there is a limited capacity in the health care to treat patients with covid-19.

1 hour ago, Coma16 said:

Has the curve been flattened yet?

Depends where you live. If you live in New Zealand, Australia, several European countries (Germany, Norway, Finland), parts of Canada (notably British Columbia), parts of the US (California, Washington), then you live in a part of the world that is showing signs of improvement.

If you live in Quebec, Ontario, and many places in the US, then no. 

41 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

No, Hong Kong is not a mess: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china-hong-kong-sar/

As for laughing and taking our masks off: I think we will too (laughing, I mean), when we have suppressed the virus as effectively as the Chinese have. And why shouldn't we celebrate life turning back to normal even if it is just temporarily? 

And on that note,Norway will start opening its school in about three weeks time if our positive trend continues. This was announced earlier today. The R value is estimated at only 0.7, with less and less people hospitalised and at the ICU, so we can afford to take baby steps towards normality. 

The predictions are NOT what was expected in UK today its lower than expected so signs of little improvement  from Friday just gone todays numbers was expected around 1400 but the numbers are same around what was  on Friday

The Surete Du Quebec (La Fuzz) has been conducting roaming checkpoints along the bridges from Ottawa for days now. They interrogate you and decide if you have reason to enter their Nation Province. The idea is that only residence and those on essential business can enter Quebec. The SQ are thuggish and rough handed so its no fun, especially for anglophones.

But my buddy gained entry by telling them in faux-broken-french that he "needs to purchase the cheese that only old stock Quebecors know how to make." :lol:

They sure are proud of their cheese, those Quebec folks :lol:

Edited by soon
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, soon said:

The Surete Du Quebec (La Fuzz) has been conducting roaming checkpoints along the bridges from Ottawa for days now. They interrogate you and decide if you have reason to enter their Nation Province. The idea is that only residence and those on essential business can enter Quebec. The SQ are thuggish and rough handed so its no fun, especially for anglophones.

But my buddy gained entry by telling them in faux-broken-french that he "needs to purchase the cheese that only old stock Quebecors know how to make." :lol:

They sure are proud of their cheese, those Quebec folks :lol:

Was it basically this? I bet it was just like this. :lol: 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

2020 will go down in the history books as one of the worst years ever!

I think that those who lived in Europe in the 1940's will disagree. That's why these folks are still chilling outside in groups.

They survived the Nazis.

Edited by UcudBmine

1 hour ago, downzy said:

Depends where you live. If you live in New Zealand, Australia, several European countries (Germany, Norway, Finland), parts of Canada (notably British Columbia), parts of the US (California, Washington), then you live in a part of the world that is showing signs of improvement.

If you live in Quebec, Ontario, and many places in the US, then no. 

How are you feeling thses days? Hopefully better?

15 minutes ago, UcudBmine said:

I think that those who lived in Europe in the 1940's will disagree. That's why these folks are still chilling outside in groups.

They survived the Nazis.

What a stupid saying. Not many of those left. And those who really remember are mostly not chilling.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

How are you feeling thses days? Hopefully better?

I'm doing better, thanks for asking.  

Fever subsided late last week but I'm still trying to take it easy.  Tough to do with a two year old running around. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

What a stupid saying. Not many of those left. And those who really remember are mostly not chilling.

I've heard several seniors say this, even on the news. They don't take this virus too serious and use it as a joke, you call it stupid but I respect the hell out of that attitude. We're a spoiled and lazy generation. Scared of everything.

They keep their distance, and that's about it. 

• Like 1