Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

Less than 250 deaths (most over 80yo) here in canada and millions (including myself) have already lost their jobs. Small business owners / restaurants wont be able to open after all this. We're on lockdown because the government was slow to close the boarders, and didnt quarantine people coming back in - quarantines are on the honour system, how canadian!

I think the world economy is going into dreadful territory. this will be bad for the rich, and for many ordinary people, but it will be an absolute blessing to the environment.

a radical halt to the economy was always the only way our existence on here would be sustainable, and it seems that's exactly what we're gonna get.

A lot of people will die, and that is very sad, but it is also a conditio sine qua non for our future survival. Earth isn't growing bigger, but the population is. you don't need to be particularily smart to understand that can't go on forever.

But then, one might ask themselves: what is it all for? Why should the environment be saved / mankind be saved? is there any purpose at all? I'm not sure what's the point of all of this. We are all going to die, that is a certainty. This place was never meant to be perfect. I believe, that quality is reserved for the afterlife.

25 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

The news in Canada, I believe from the Ontario government. It was more of a worst case scenario but a 2nd AND 3rd wave are expected after this curve is flattened.

All lives matter so I'm not sure what the best way forward is, but I dont see the current path as being sustainable. Many people will die from this (along with other things) but I fear the recovery is going to be much due to this mandated isolation/distancing and economic shutdown. Peoples' livelihood are being flushed down the toilet.

In the same press conference that the Ontario health leaders spoke about 18-24 months of measures, they also shared the modelling that shows how social distancing/shut-down measures are on track to save 100 000 Ontario lives. And they demonstrated that Ontario is on track to suffer between 3000 -15000 deaths (!!). 3000 if everyone does there part to distance. 15 000 if people dont distance.

Heres the full press conference, 

27 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Less than 250 deaths (most over 80yo) here in canada and millions (including myself) have already lost their jobs. Small business owners / restaurants wont be able to open after all this. We're on lockdown because the government was slow to close the boarders, and didnt quarantine people coming back in - quarantines are on the honour system, how canadian!

This shows that the distancing measures are working to save lives!

Also, quarantine for returning travellers is mandatory.

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

One day really makes that big of a difference? 

The shops are closed Thursday, Friday, Saturday (partially), Sunday and Monday, so it's a bit more than just one day difference. Eastern in Oslo is usually quite calm because so many are either traveling abroad or spend the holiday in their cabins outside of the city. Now, obviously, everybody is staying at home. Because of this, the leading authority on epidemics has warned against closing all the shops because it is expected lots of people will have to buy groceries for the holidays on Monday and Tuesday, and suggested a dispensation from the law that shops are to be closed on religious holy days. Most politicians in Oslo agreed. But KrF ("kristelig folkeparti" = "christian people's party"), blocked the decision because to them it is more important that god isn't angered over people shopping on his holy days than preventing infections.

Edited by SoulMonster

35 minutes ago, soon said:

In the same press conference that the Ontario health leaders spoke about 18-24 months of measures, they also shared the modelling that shows how social distancing/shut-down measures are on track to save 100 000 Ontario lives. And they demonstrated that Ontario is on track to suffer between 3000 -15000 deaths (!!). 3000 if everyone does there part to distance. 15 000 if people dont distance.

Heres the full press conference, 

This shows that the distancing measures are working to save lives!

Also, quarantine for returning travellers is mandatory.

What do you mean by mandatory? Are they being locked in somewhere or just scouts honor that they wont go out?

Glad its working so far, i have no doubt that it'll help with those numbers. It's the aftermath I'm worried about...

Edited by Coma16

7 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

What do you mean by mandatory? Are they being locked in somewhere or just scouts honor that they wont go out?

Glad its working so far, i have no doubt that it'll help with those numbers. It's the aftermath I'm worried about...

The quarantine for international travellers returning to Canada is strict and enforced. The feds invoked the Quarantine Act. Peoples info and where they will stay in quarantine (alone) is collected and there are random visits to ensure compliance (like being on bail).

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/travellers-returning-home-must-enter-mandatory-isolation-health-minister-1.4867749

And breaking the Quarantine Act results in serious penalties with fines of between $750 000- $1 000 000 and jail time of 6 months - 3 years:

Quarantine Act

Under the Quarantine Act, there's another set of rules for Canadians returning to the country from abroad. Travellers now have a legal obligation to quarantine for 14 days, and if they disobey that order, they can face serious penalties. 

• Failing to comply with the order - maximum fine of $750,000 and/or imprisonment for 6 months
  • If someone jeopardizes another's life "while wilfully or recklessly contravening the act" - $1 million and/or up to three years in prison

Staff Sgt. Carolle Dionne with Ontario Provincial Police explains that the federal Quarantine Act does not give police any new powers, but police will "assist with requests" from those designated as screening officers or quarantine officers under the act.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/what-can-you-be-fined-for-covid-19-measures-1.5512439

• Like 2

I saw New York's Gov Cuomo today. He said about 2/3 of the hospital patients with the virus have been sent home. Hopefully the will continue to get better at home.

He's still waiting for medical needs. Don't know why it is taking so long? The freezer trucks make me so very sad.

Still not sure if I should get a mask or not? So confused over this? People with masks, where did they order them? I found a site, but my order hasn't been sent out yet. It's in Washington state, so not sure when?

Walmart and Target stores are only letting in one person at a time to shop. One way in the store and one way out. I'm glad they are doing this to keep everyone safe. At least they are trying.

Most streets are empty and Walmart only had about 20 shoppers yesterday and they had everything but toilet paper? Can't understand this? Anyway, I got what I needed.

Just feel so tired and stressed more and more each day.

I know most of us feel this way. I can't imagine how the people feel who are sick. I wish them well and the strength they need to get better soon.

Stay well and stay inside.

30 minutes ago, soon said:

The quarantine for international travellers returning to Canada is strict and enforced. The feds invoked the Quarantine Act. Peoples info and where they will stay in quarantine (alone) is collected and there are random visits to ensure compliance (like being on bail).

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/travellers-returning-home-must-enter-mandatory-isolation-health-minister-1.4867749

And breaking the Quarantine Act results in serious penalties with fines of between $750 000- $1 000 000 and jail time of 6 months - 3 years:

Quarantine Act

Under the Quarantine Act, there's another set of rules for Canadians returning to the country from abroad. Travellers now have a legal obligation to quarantine for 14 days, and if they disobey that order, they can face serious penalties. 

• Failing to comply with the order - maximum fine of $750,000 and/or imprisonment for 6 months
  • If someone jeopardizes another's life "while wilfully or recklessly contravening the act" - $1 million and/or up to three years in prison

Staff Sgt. Carolle Dionne with Ontario Provincial Police explains that the federal Quarantine Act does not give police any new powers, but police will "assist with requests" from those designated as screening officers or quarantine officers under the act.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/what-can-you-be-fined-for-covid-19-measures-1.5512439

Glad our neighbors to the north of us are doing this. We need all countries to make stricter laws or this virus will continue with no end in sight.

Stay well and stay inside.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Glad our neighbors to the north of us are doing this. We need all countries to make stricter laws or this virus will continue with no end in sight.

Actually the stricter we enforce the social distancing and staying inside, the longer we have to deal with the virus, because we are not preventing but we are just delaying future infections. Which is..depressing. But needed in order not to overload the hospitals or we get the same scenario as Italy. This will only really come to an end with a vaccine, which can still be a year away.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Just feel so tired and stressed more and more each day.

Don't worry. This will soon be over. People will die but at the end of the year only marginally more people would have died this year then expected. No need to worry, just enjoy life and be happy. If the news make you stressed, stop watching the news. 

Edited by SoulMonster

1 hour ago, action said:

I think the world economy is going into dreadful territory. this will be bad for the rich, and for many ordinary people, but it will be an absolute blessing to the environment.

a radical halt to the economy was always the only way our existence on here would be sustainable, and it seems that's exactly what we're gonna get.

A lot of people will die, and that is very sad, but it is also a conditio sine qua non for our future survival. Earth isn't growing bigger, but the population is. you don't need to be particularily smart to understand that can't go on forever.

But then, one might ask themselves: what is it all for? Why should the environment be saved / mankind be saved? is there any purpose at all? I'm not sure what's the point of all of this. We are all going to die, that is a certainty. This place was never meant to be perfect. I believe, that quality is reserved for the afterlife.

Wow. I totally understand what you're saying.  Maybe this is the natural order of things. I still believe that since humans don't respect our world anymore, this virus is a product of this. A virus that will kill thousands if not more humans and wipe the earth clean.  Maybe that's how it should be, who knows?

yeah, death comes for all of us, but when a virus like this breaks out it makes it more clear how fucked we are. Animals might be effected by this too. That upsets me to no end because they have no idea what it to come.

2 more years of this. I said by December, but it this virus lasts that long most of us will be very stressed and depressed and I doubt most of us will come back from this. The economies around the world are fucked and not sure how many people will be unemployed from this day on. How do you come back from this?

Like you said the population keeps growing which means more and more people might get sick. I honestly, don't know how we can come back from this. Can we stay inside forever?

If the world doesn't do  what needs to be done, how can this virus stop? It's not just going to go away. I wish it would but doubt it.

Will there be a vaccine or a cure? No one knows for sure.

Stay inside and stay safe. At least for now.

3 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Actually the stricter we enforce the social distancing and staying inside, the longer we have to deal with the virus, because we are not preventing but we are just delaying future infections. Which is..depressing. But needed in order not to overload the hospitals or we get the same scenario as Italy. This will only really come to an end with a vaccine, which can still be a year away.

I hear you. I know and understand. Even if there is a vaccine it is awhile away. All the testing and stuff. I don't hear anything more about the people who they were testing? What happened to them?

What scares me is we might be carrying this virus and not know it? I would hate to infect my family. 

Texas was pretty fast with the staying inside order and closing the schools too, but is it enough? It'll be a miracle if we don't get sick.

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Don't worry. This will soon be over. People will die but at the end of the year only marginally more people would have died this year then expected. No need to worry, just enjoy life and be happy. 

From your lips. I love your attitude. Bless you. I appreciate your words.

Take care and stay well.

3 hours ago, Coma16 said:

Its complete bullshit and we will be worse off because of it. Now they're saying it might be 2 years of this. The amount of mental health issues, and suicides, society is going experience within the next decade will be devastating.

I heard from doctors talking on t.v. that it could be seasonal. It could be gone in a month or two. But it could also come back next year or earlier. The best solution is a vaccine. There isn't one yet. But lets hope we get a vaccine the sooner the better

2 hours ago, Padme said:

I heard from doctors talking on t.v. that it could be seasonal. It could be gone in a month or two. But it could also come back next year or earlier. The best solution is a vaccine. There isn't one yet. But lets hope we get a vaccine the sooner the better

Noone of them knows shit. One day could be seasonal, other day it is permanent, one day masks help, other don't...

In one country 2weeks quarantine in other 3... world is gone nuts... "experts" are leading most of us, but sute seem like noone knows what is doing...

Edited by -Jaro-
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, -Jaro- said:

Noone of them knows shit. One day could be seasonal, other day it is permanent, one day masks help, other don't...

In one country 2weeks quarantine in other 3... world is gone nuts... "experts" are leading most of us, but sute seem like noone knows what is doing...

Yes, is most uncertainty that certainty, sadly.

4 hours ago, soon said:

Quarantine Act

Here is very similar.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

The mother of my aunt just died from covid19 in the Netherlands. No funeral and she can't go there. This situation is so fucked up.

It's terrible that people are dying alone, and not getting a proper send off.

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

The mother of my aunt just died from covid19 in the Netherlands. No funeral and she can't go there. This situation is so fucked up.

It's just such a sad surreal situation that your aunt and so many family members are going through. So sorry for your loss goat. 💗

10 hours ago, -Jaro- said:

the word "expert" has become a suspicious word to me.

most of these you hear on the news are government appointed. Appointed, to validate the government's policy. They get paid, they are in the government's service. If that expert should deviate from the line, they'll appoint another one.

the words coming out of the mouths of these experts are not science, they are politics.

The science of covid 19 is unchanging (and largely untold), politics change on an almost daily base now and they've appointed "experts" to lay these onto us, with a kind of "expert" sauce topping

• Like 1

4 hours ago, action said:

the word "expert" has become a suspicious word to me.

most of these you hear on the news are government appointed. Appointed, to validate the government's policy. They get paid, they are in the government's service. If that expert should deviate from the line, they'll appoint another one.

the words coming out of the mouths of these experts are not science, they are politics.

The science of covid 19 is unchanging (and largely untold), politics change on an almost daily base now and they've appointed "experts" to lay these onto us, with a kind of "expert" sauce topping

What do you suggest? Sending Dustin Hoffman or Morgan Freeman in because they were in a movie about an outbreak? Or the people from Unity that are behind the "Plague Inc." game?

These appointed experts don't say what the government wants them to say. Good examples of that are Bolsonaro, Trump and Loekasjenko of Belarus. They just ignore their experts and act on what they think is right.

Edited by UcudBmine
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Thank you, I didn't know my aunt's mum I just feel bad on her behalf and for everyone else struggling with all this.

1,039 cases here now. They're flying in millions of N95 facemasks and making 45million more and a bunch of other medical gear.

That's great they are getting the necessary supplies! They should not be so hard to get...but they are for so many states in the US.