Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

12 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

Apparently in China not only were you not allowed out you are only allowed to open your front door a maximum of 3 times a day.

Put the bins out, get your delivered shopping off the kerb and let the cat in.

Aren't those last two the same thing in China? :lol: 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Consider that the Plague of Athens was 430 BC and that the Great Plague of Marseille and Great Plague of Eastern Europe were 1720 and 1738 respectively!

1720? didn't realise it still happened so late in history. pretty sure there was black plage in the early 17th century too. and in the 13th century?

1 minute ago, action said:

1720? didn't realise it still happened so late in history. pretty sure there was black plage in the early 17th century too. and in the 13th century?

Black Plague ''proper'' was only really 1347-51. Plague still a regular occurrence from thereafter in Europe until the 1660s. The 18th century outbreaks were reunion tours.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Plagues are just an old term for terrible pandemics.

Not really! The historiography is fairly consistent in connecting the historic plague with Yersinia pestis. Because of the symptoms, description (e.g., buboes) and severity, we can be certain that the medieval Black Death was caused by the same bacterium that caused the Great Plague of Marseilles of 1720 say, or the Plague that is still extent in the Congo. 

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Not really! The historiography is fairly consistent in connecting the historic plague with Yersinia pestis. Because of the symptoms, description (e.g., buboes) and severity, we can be certain that the medieval Black Death was caused by the same bacterium that caused the Great Plague of Marseilles of 1720 say, or the Plague that is still extent in the Congo. 

Again, back then they had no knowledge and would often refer to various pandemics as simply the plague. Only in modern times have we been able to associate specific pathogens with some of them, with differing levels of confidence. 

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Again, back then they had no knowledge and would often refer to various pandemics as simply the plague. Only in modern times have we been able to associate specific pathogens with some of them, with differing levels of confidence. 

This is simply incorrect.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

This is simply incorrect.

No, it is correct that they didn't know the causative agents to the various epidemics that ravaged them. Only recently, with the advent of modern microbiology and medicine, have we been able to study past epidemics and identify the microbial culprit. Often this is done based on nothing but contemporary accounts and often we can't be sure what caused them. For some we are certain, like for the Black Plague/Death. 

All of this is entirely correct :lol:

To further my points earlier about US citizens not even remotely understanding the economic downfall coming, I just got a text from a friend with a screen shot that said her company is reducing pay by up to 50% for the next 3 months. 

She had the nerve to be shocked. She's saying things like "they can't do this to us!" and so on. I want to tell her that she should feel lucky that they're paying anything at all. However, it's a group chat setting and I'm certain everyone will lose their minds on me if I have the nerve to speak common sense. 

14 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

To further my points earlier about US citizens not even remotely understanding the economic downfall coming, I just got a text from a friend with a screen shot that said her company is reducing pay by up to 50% for the next 3 months. 

She had the nerve to be shocked. She's saying things like "they can't do this to us!" and so on. I want to tell her that she should feel lucky that they're paying anything at all. However, it's a group chat setting and I'm certain everyone will lose their minds on me if I have the nerve to speak common sense. 

"They can't do this to us!"  LOL, why not?  It's that or being fired.  How does she expect the company to pay her and her colleagues with rapidly shrinking revenues?  

I can't figure out why the US Congress went the rout it did to help alleviate the economic burden.  Sending a cheque to every person, regardless of need, seems like a waste of money.  A lot of other governments are running economic aid through the unemployment system as well as offering wage subsidies for companies or employees that see drastic reductions in employees pay.  In the UK the government will subsidize wages by 80 percent; in Canada it's 75 percent. 

Seems far more efficient to get the money to those who need it than just a blanket cheque to anyone who happened to file a tax return for 2018.  

• Like 1

Just now, downzy said:

Sending a cheque to every person, regardless of need, seems like a waste of money.  

I agree. My position and the company I work for are essential to infrastructure, so we all still have jobs and don't need any stimulus where as people in jobs that are gone (like some restaurant staff) really do need some $$$$ to carry them until all of this blows over and $1,200 per really isn't all that much for some if this goes beyond a month.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gt72 said:

China was more truthful

US intelligence just released a report on that. I don’t trust them(China). Yes the US didn’t handle it well but I simply just don’t belive that there are no new cases in China. We are a long long long way off from a vaccine. I am lucky to still be a college 

One of my friends and 2  of my cousins have it. I am now checking my body very carefully  because I saw one of them not to long ago 

2 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I agree. My position and the company I work for are essential to infrastructure, so we all still have jobs and don't need any stimulus where as people in jobs that are gone (like some restaurant staff) really do need some $$$$ to carry them until all of this blows over and $1,200 per really isn't all that much for some if this goes beyond a month.

The great thing about wage subsidies is that it keeps people employed.  Once someone loses their job it can be much more difficult to find one, especially if there are tens of millions of people also out of a job.  

But I guess Americans just like to make it rain more than people from other country :P 

4 minutes ago, downzy said:

"They can't do this to us!"  LOL, why not?  It's that or being fired.  How does she expect the company to pay her and her colleagues with rapidly shrinking revenues?  

I can't figure out why the US Congress went the rout it did to help alleviate the economic burden.  Sending a cheque to every person, regardless of need, seems like a waste of money.  A lot of other governments are running economic aid through the unemployment system as well as offering wage subsidies for companies or employees that see drastic reductions in employees pay.  In the UK the government will subsidize wages by 80 percent; in Canada it's 75 percent. 

Seems far more efficient to get the money to those who need it than just a blanket cheque to anyone who happened to file a tax return for 2018.  

Totally agree with your secondary points.

Back on the first; that's the number one problem in the US right now. I know another person who shrugged off possibly firings and lay offs. He said "who else is gonna do the work??". I said "the work won't need to be done if they don't need to make the products". He said "if they don't make the products, there will be nothing to buy". 

I said "Yes, I get that but if people aren't in position to buy anything, then the products aren't needed". He shrugged and more or less told me I don't know what I'm talking about.

That's the type of "reasoning" that's going on in the US currently. 

• Confused 1

About the cash mail outs...

Even though the mail out cash money isnt means-tested I believe that the govt can recoup what would be 'over payments' to those without need for the money, via income tax.

Its more expeditious to just get cash out to the people. And like I say, recoup the unnecessary payouts via income taxing. Means-testing would cause a painful delay for those who need it urgently.

Edited by soon

5 minutes ago, downzy said:

The great thing about wage subsidies is that it keeps people employed.  Once someone loses their job it can be much more difficult to find one, especially if there are tens of millions of people also out of a job.  

But I guess Americans just like to make it rain more than people from other country :P 

Unfortunately, I feel some businesses will never reopen.

10 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Is this $1,200 a one off payment or is it monthly for the duration of the crisis? 

11 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Sending people money for being laid off to help them pay bills is good. Rather have that then see people get thrown out of homes

Agreed.  Except in the US they're sending money to everyone, even those who don't need it.  

45 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

No, it is correct that they didn't know the causative agents to the various epidemics that ravaged them. Only recently, with the advent of modern microbiology and medicine, have we been able to study past epidemics and identify the microbial culprit. Often this is done based on nothing but contemporary accounts and often we can't be sure what caused them. For some we are certain, like for the Black Plague/Death. 

All of this is entirely correct :lol:

Oh, you have changed the goal posts I see?