Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

It came in today to my e-mail from REPORTERS WITHOUT BORDERS , textually : "Dear friends 

The situation is alarming, in China hundreds of whisterblosters and journalists have disapparead after denouncing the flews in the regimen response to the Covid-19.

In India the Kashmir Valley's residents are deprived of the Internet connection and information about Covid-19.

In Belarus, an investigation reporter is facing a possible ten years prison sentence for critizing the President approach to the epidemic"

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Ratam said:

It came in today to my e-mail from REPORTERS WITHOUT BORDERS , textually : "Dear friends 

The situation is alarming, in China hundreds of whisterblosters and journalists have disapparead after denouncing the flews in the regimen response to the Covid-19.

In India the Kashmir Valley's residents are deprived of the Internet connection and information about Covid-19.

In Belarus, an investigation reporter is facing a possible ten years prison sentence for critizing the President approach to the epidemic"

Wow! I'm honestly not surprised at all. I read that China figured out the man who started the virus and never read anything after that. Some countries can go to extremes to silence their people. It happens all the time.

Finally the Governor of Florida put through the "shelter inside" order. It's about time.

Meanwhile, everyday I check the news and no good news. They say another month or two, I say longer than that. It's not just about America. The whole worlds needs to get well. We all are one planet and we are all connected in one way or another. I'm grateful to come on this message board and talk to all of you. It helps for a bit.

Stay inside and stay well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Wheezy af breathing rn but no fever. If I'm not dead should I call the doctor in the morning?

The instructions here is that if you have difficulties breathing you should contact your doctor. But you really should check national guidelines, it can vary from country to country.

3 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Wow! I'm honestly not surprised at all. I read that China figured out the man who started the virus and never read anything after that. Some countries can go to extremes to silence their people. It happens all the time.

Finally the Governor of Florida put through the "shelter inside" order. It's about time.

Meanwhile, everyday I check the news and no good news. They say another month or two, I say longer than that. It's not just about America. The whole worlds needs to get well. We all are one planet and we are all connected in one way or another. I'm grateful to come on this message board and talk to all of you. It helps for a bit.

Stay inside and stay well.

Now are terrible news about Ecuador, people die in the streets and isn't have someone that to remove these body. People denouncing has body in his homes and are for few days and nobody to remove too :wacko:

In the state of Morelos in central México a group of 150 or so people have gathered threatening to burn their local hospital (and its director) if they take in any Coronavirus victims. In some ways this crisis is bringing out the best of people, and in others the absolute worst. I think it's the stupidity that accompanies a lot of the bad/selfish decision making that's so disheartening - whether it be panic-buying 500 cans of a soft drink, not buying Corona beer or Chinese food, discriminating against Asian people, killing bats or threatening to burn a hospital. We might be the most advanced species that evolution has ever produced, but we're capable of making some awful decisions. 

https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/estados/amagan-con-quemar-hospital-si-alojan-pacientes-con-covid-19?fbclid=IwAR36P7WXuHvbQdVfv-mbTFC8J-iseu7TfcPq0yex-CTUrQjxsYOpNgTgzMI

• Like 4

Over 1000 dead in the US in the last 24 hours. I honestly didn’t think we would see a one day total like that in the US for another week or so. 

The good news in the US is the states of California and Washington are showing progress of flattening their respective curves due to their efforts to mitigate the outbreak long before any other state. The bad news is California still projects to run out of hospital beds by mid May.

It’s crazy to think that some states are just beginning to, or have not even really started,  their efforts to mitigate the outbreak.  That’s going to hurt come college football season. 

There seems to be a bout a one-week lag from when the peak in new infection is reached, and when the peak in deaths per day is reached. At least if you look at the graphs for Italy:

uten_n75.png

From the graph above it can seem like they had their peak around March 21.

uten_n76.png

And from the graph above it seems like the number of deaths per day peaked around March 27.

So there is a one-week lag. The lag in itself isn't surprising at all, it takes some time from people are registered to be infected until they die from it. 

Symptom I had forgotten: eyes watering (and when I looked in the mirror, bloodshot eyes), although maybe this was a consequence of the cricket season being wiped out. Even now it occurs a bit. That is the difference between flu and corona: you don't really see a marked pattern of improvement per se as your antibodies kick in and you begin delivering up mucus and so forth, as with influenza. Corona just sort of disappears then suddenly reappears, then disappears, etc etc. The attacks become less heavy I suppose, and that is where the improvement lies. It really is the strangest disease I have ever had.  

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Symptom I had forgotten: eyes watering (and when I looked in the mirror, bloodshot eyes), although maybe this was a consequence of the cricket season being wiped out. Even now it occurs a bit. That is the difference between flu and corona: you don't really see a marked pattern of improvement per se as your antibodies kick in and you begin delivering up mucus and so forth, as with influenza. Corona just sort of disappears then suddenly reappears, then disappears, etc etc. The attacks become less heavy I suppose, and that is where the improvement lies. It really is the strangest disease I have ever had.  

Damn dude, I just read that you had gotten it.  Are you doing ok?

Summarizing the situation for the individual countries that tops the list of number of infected based on analyzing the number of new infected per day and number of new deaths per day.

USA: No. of new infected: Increasing steadily (although it is stating to flatten in some states); I don't expect the number of deaths/day to start flattening ot anytime soon. NOT UNDER CONTROL.

Italy: Seems to have reached their peak around March 21; number of new deaths has been dropping since March 27. UNDER CONTROL.

Spain: Seems to have reached their peak around March 26, but unclear; the number of new deaths is flattening out. GETTING IT UNDER CONTROL.

China: Reached their peak around February 12; and number of deaths started dropping from around February 15. UNDER CONTROL.

Germany: Seems to have reached their peak around March 27; number of deaths seems to be increasing steadily, expected to start dropping soon but no sign of it flattening out yet. GETTING IT UNDER CONTROL?

France: Might have reached their peak on Marc 31; the curve for deaths seems to be flattening. GETTING IT UNDER CONTROL.

Iran: Seems to have reached their peak around March 30; number of deaths peaked around March 26. can we trust the numbers? NO IDEA.

UK: No signs of either curve flattening out. NOT UNDER CONTROL.

Switzerland: Peak around March 23; peak for number of deaths seems to have been reached for March 31. UNDER CONTROL.

TurkeyNo signs of either curve flattening out. NOT UNDER CONTROL.

Belgium: Peak reached around March 28; no sign of deaths flattening out but too early. GETTING IT UNDER CONTROL.

Netherlands: Peak reached around March 29; might be flattening but too early. GETTING IT UNDER CONTROL.

Austria: Peak reached March 26; flattening and maybe going down. UNDER CONTROL.

South Korea: Peak reached around March 3; low number of deaths. UNDER CONTROL.

Canada: Signs that new infected is flattening out now; too low numbers of deaths to analyse. GETTING IT UNDER CONTROL?

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

This list was more positive than I expected. Seems like most of the countries who have ramped up lots of infected are now either having it under control or is getting there. This demonstrates that the mitigating actions out in effect by these countries does work. And that by employing these, the number of deaths per country will be kept low. The questions is of course, what will happen when we loosen restriction, will the number of infected flare up again? Will we have to re-deploy strict restrictions numerous times until we have developed herd immunity? When will a vaccine come and relieve us? 

And this is of course just the start of the epidemic. For some countries we might be over the worst, for some it is just beginning. Like India, Brazil, Russia. Will every country be able to keep it under control or will different states fare differently? 

59 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Did you have a source for your accusation that Germany swipes all the test kits?

GMB yesterday or the day before in a robust exchange between Piers Morgen and some governmental non-entity.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Good Morning Britain, a morning news show on ITV presented (oft) by Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid. 

So just some pundits claiming it? Okay. It seems to be wrong, though. Germany has impressively been developing their own tests since the pandemic started and I have seen no evidence of Germany buying up commercially available tests kits on the global market. Read more about it here: Why is Germany able to test for coronavirus so much more than the UK?

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

So just some pundits claiming it? Okay. It seems to be wrong, though. Germany has impressively been developing their own tests since the pandemic started and I have seen no evidence of Germany buying up commercially available tests kits on the global market. Read more about it here: Why is Germany able to test for coronavirus so much more than the UK?

Sometimes you yourself should be less Germanic, you know? For the process of ''the joke''?