Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

19 minutes ago, EricA said:

That's exactly what worries me the most. What if, lets say with end of April/May, most of the measures are taken down, and the curve rises dramatically again, so that hospitals are once again completely overloaded, will there be a second shutdown? and if so, how long will this cycle of ups and downs continue?

Untill there is a vaccine or herd immunity is reached. 

19 minutes ago, EricA said:

That's exactly what worries me the most. What if, lets say with end of April/May, most of the measures are taken down, and the curve rises dramatically again, so that hospitals are once again completely overloaded, will there be a second shutdown? and if so, how long will this cycle of ups and downs continue?

I think we'll be seeing measures taken down very gradually, to see what the reaction is. Like schools will be opened first, than people will be allowed to go back to work and lastly bars and restaurants will open again. That seems to be the thinking here anyway. It will be a long time before we can go back to normal life.

For those whose Gyms have closed have you thought of going for a run, I go running almost daily (marathon runner) and with the excercise in fresh air (getting outside for an hour) I always come home feeling good.  For non runners maybe this could be the time to start a programme, just a thought.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lio said:

I think we'll be seeing measures taken down very gradually, to see what the reaction is. Like schools will be opened first, than people will be allowed to go back to work and lastly bars and restaurants will open again. That seems to be the thinking here anyway. It will be a long time before we can go back to normal life.

I don't agree. 

Here in the States, school will be the last to open. Children, thankfully, are a higher priority than businesses. 

Just now, arnold layne said:

I don't agree. 

Here in the States, school will be the last to open. Children, thankfully, are a higher priority than businesses. 

What an odd conclusion. Or are you being sarcastic? Surely opening businesses first means businesses are a higher priority?

Plus the reasoning behind this is that children tend to not get affected by the disease. So schools are closed mainly because children could spread the virus, without being sick themselves. And even that is not agreed upon by experts. It isn't known in how far kids spread the virus. The decision to close schools is, according to our experts, mainly a political one, because the people ask. It's not a scientific decision and experts here all agree that this is the measure that might be one of the least effective. In fact, none of the experts were in favour of closing down schools.

Furthermore, closing down schools has a really bad effect on the children. They lose out on education and the main concern here are the vulnerable children. Children from poor families, who don't have a laptop to make the assignments. Children of families where you know parents won't be stimulating them to keep up with their schoolwork. Children in a shitty home situation, who are left with no help anymore from the outside world. Many teachers and social workers here fear that those children will be lost for good if schools close down for too long.

So opening the schools is only for the benefit of the children, precisely because they are the priority.

4 minutes ago, Lio said:

What an odd conclusion. Or are you being sarcastic? Surely opening businesses first means businesses are a higher priority?

Plus the reasoning behind this is that children tend to not get affected by the disease. So schools are closed mainly because children could spread the virus, without being sick themselves. And even that is not agreed upon by experts. It isn't known in how far kids spread the virus. The decision to close schools is, according to our experts, mainly a political one, because the people ask. It's not a scientific decision and experts here all agree that this is the measure that might be one of the least effective. In fact, none of the experts were in favour of closing down schools.

Furthermore, closing down schools has a really bad effect on the children. They lose out on education and the main concern here are the vulnerable children. Children from poor families, who don't have a laptop to make the assignments. Children of families where you know parents won't be stimulating them to keep up with their schoolwork. Children in a shitty home situation, who are left with no help anymore from the outside world. Many teachers and social workers here fear that those children will be lost for good if schools close down for too long.

So opening the schools is only for the benefit of the children, precisely because they are the priority.

Same here, schools were closed by the politicians despite our health experts suggesting it might be better to have them open.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lio said:

58 minutes ago, Lio said:

Same here, our government will open the shops again at first and schools later, and from an economically pov it's absolutely necessary, i know! 

But as i'm working in retails, and our shops are of course closed now, can you imagine the first day of opening them again:shock: How many poeple (with their from homeschooling bored children) will overrun us and every other kind of shop, only because they were'nt abel to do some kind of shopping for the last weeks.

I really hope my team and me will be able to handle all this consumer driven people, who are thinking, FINE! everythings back to normal, whilst it's maybe, and unfortunately, not. That's what i'm afraid of, that all the stupid people who don't really take care of the measures now whilst the shutdown, will act like complete idiots, once again the are allowed to go out again.

Edited by EricA

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

On a somewhat positive note, experts believe that 50-65 % of all who die from corona this year would have died this year anyway.

- resource plese - "exports" and "someone in the know" with COVID is just like in GNR - more than 90% are fake ones. Like those photos of newborn babies on parking lots in Zagreb after earthquke damaged hospital tagged as "no space for babies in Italy"...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, -Jaro- said:

- resource plese - "exports" and "someone in the know" with COVID is just like in GNR - more than 90% are fake ones. Like those photos of newborn babies on parking lots in Zagreb after earthquke damaged hospital tagged as "no space for babies in Italy"...

I can't remember. But trust me, it was a credible source.

25 minutes ago, -Jaro- said:

In Belgium, 198 of 513 dead are people aged 85 or over, another 177 are between 75 and 84. I haven't seen the statistics mentioned by SoulMonster, but I think they're credible, based on the numbers here at least.

5 hours ago, Lio said:

Really? I’d been told things will be fine by fall? :P

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

On a somewhat positive note, experts believe that 50-65 % of all who die from corona this year would have died this year anyway.

That's what I was thinking, but I don't like giving my opinion about all this because people attack me personally when I do.

Not here btw, you guys are more open to discussion.

Anyway, I don't see myself making it till my 80th birthday. 70 already seems like a stretch.

Latest UK numbers showing that things may be slowing down a little. Not enough data yet to be conclusive but it looks like we may be on a different trajectory to Italy if this pattern continues. Fingers crossed.

7 hours ago, EricA said:

Guess we are waiting for the vaccine.

My friend told me there is an increase in emergency medical visits because people are hurting themselves trying to do DYI projects at home. :lol:  Guess we're not meant to stay home and putter around the house either. 

In Scotland there are 179 new cases today, a 13% increase from yesterday, bringing the total to 1,563 and in my region the numbers jumped 43% (I think the biggest proportional increase for any region in a single day) with 46 new cases from yesterday to today.

A women wearing a mask and gloves just walked into me as I distanced by walking onto the middle of the road to avoid her. She had to do a 90 degree turn and rush to make this happen. But her car was nearby so just 'fuck me' I guess. WTF is that?!?! When I flipped her off she looked deeply offended, too. :facepalm::lol:

But straight couples with young children are the worst for feeling entitled to not do their 50/50 part in distancing. Im gonna start carrying a hockey stick and next family that walks directly at me, Dads getting a tap in the five-hole... like from a safe distance. :headbang::lol:

Edited by soon
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, soon said:

A women wearing a mask and gloves just walked into me as I distanced by walking onto the middle of the road to avoid her. She had to do a 90 degree turn and rush to make this happen. But her car was nearby so just 'fuck me' I guess. WTF is that?!?! When I flipped her off she looked deeply offended, too. :facepalm::lol:

But straight couples with young children are the worst for feeling entitled to not do their 50/50 part in distancing. Im gonna start carrying a hockey stick and next family that walks straight at me, Dads get a tap in the five-hole... like from a safe distance. :headbang::lol:

I have the impression that these people that wear face masks, they believe that mask and gloves is like kind of fashion thing. Doctors said all time that mask and gloves are absolutelly useless.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

You think Trump would agree with this?

So our state at least went by what our governor said, not Trump...he was the one who said schools will be out till 5/1. And I am sure once it gets closer to that he will say, you know what let's just say out till the end of the year which was like mid-May anyways. Every state of course varies!